MrK's Chart of 2016

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby MisterK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:00 pm

8--Honne & Izzy Bizu – Someone That Loves You
#1 for 2 weeks, 25 weeks on chart
One of last year’s discoveries for me was the electronic band Honne, a duo from London. They had several hits during the year this being the biggest one where they teamed up with newcomer Izzy Bizu. I would describe their music as fairly retro sounding, heavy on the keyboards and lots of reverb on the vocals; their music would sit well in the late 70s, it’s sort of soul music. Anyway it’s a nice mellow track which made two appearances in the top 40 this year (#26 on its first go) finally reaching the #1 spot for 2 weeks in August. It also is the longest running song from this year’s chart, spending 25 weeks on the chart.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:01 pm

7--Sam Setton – Berlin
#1 for 2 weeks, 16 weeks on chart
Another debut on this year’s countdown is from new boy Sam Setton. This track is about separation presumably between him and his lover. It blew me away when I first heard it and as a result it stormed to #1 in September. There are some beautiful piano sounds on this which accompany his voice so well, on the first verse particularly, and it contrasts well with the distortion in the chorus. Some nice synths in the chorus and strings too. Verse 2 notches it up with erratic synths and panicked lyrics. Even the middle eight section has got some nice piano chords over it. Absolutely superb track. No video though and largely unknown; the live performance of this track has less than 600 views on YT.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:02 pm

6--Calvin Harris – This is What You Came For (ft. Rihanna)
#1 for 4 weeks, 17 weeks on chart
From the unknown to the mainstream now, as its time for this year's big tune from Calvin (and RiRi)…it’s not as strong for me as her others – her journey into pop-dance music culminated in ‘We Found Love’ I think, followed by ‘Only Girl’. Nevertheless this sits above a number of other top tracks in this chart and was #1 for 4 weeks in June. Cue the strobes, lasers and onesie (?), video could have been a bit more imaginative. Bet she was dying to get out the back of that lorry. Wow though, a billion hits on YT.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:22 am

8--Honne & Izzy Bizu – Someone That Loves You
This one is very cool
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby MisterK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:01 am

5--Frankmusik – Day Break
#2, 13 weeks on chart
So, I said earlier that 4 weeks at #2 was rare but not if you are the maestro of synthpop, the master of falsetto and make a very bright video filmed in the San Francisco sunshine (even if it looks a bit CGI). It’s the return of Vincent Turner aka Frankmusik, who this year released his ‘Day Break’ mini album with 8 tracks on it. I stumbled upon ‘Day Break’ by accident but wow I’m glad I did. From the opening atmospheric strings coupled with the shots of dawn SF followed by FM’s falsetto through to the pounding bass that takes over I was hooked. Even his dance moves (which border on corny) kind of work and make if fun. And I played it again, and again, and again, and again. In my view it should have been #1 but it lost out to a very very strong contender…
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:03 am

4--Kungs vs. Cookin’ on 3 Burners – This Girl
#1 for 4 weeks, 19 weeks on chart
So nearly ready to announce bronze this year, and just missing that is the pairing of funk Aussie trio Cookin’ on 3 Burners with French producer Kungs who for me produced the best dance record of 2016. The original song sounds like it could have been produced in the 60s amongst the northern soul era. Kungs obviously sped up the track but kept the majority of the song in particularly the infectious guitar hook which kicks it off. The unusual thing Kungs did was play up the horns over the chorus giving it a sort of ska vibe. First heard this on 13th June and it was #1 less than 2 weeks later.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:31 am

OneRepublic – Kids
#1 for 4 weeks, 17 weeks on chart
Taking 3rd place this year are OneRepublic who everyone’s heard of. This was the second offering from their ‘Oh My My’ album, their fourth to date. ‘Counting Stars’ was a fairly successful track in 2014, reaching #2 and taking 34th place on the EOY. Standout parts of this for me are Ryan Tedder’s falsetto on the chorus, the synths during the bridge and the voice-synth on repeat throughout the chorus. It’s full of atmosphere this track and almost borrows from M83 in its sound… :D
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:45 am

2—M83 – Go! (ft. Mai Lan)
#1 for 5 weeks, 21 weeks on chart
Oh and look who ends up at #2 ha ha. Yes it’s the copycat of OneRepublic! The return of Anthony Gonzalez and his band in 2016 was fairly epic, ‘Junk’ was my most listened to album of 2016 spawning a number of tracks that charted. ‘Do It Try It’ reached #1 (amazingly reaching only #92 on the EOY), the officially unreleased ‘For the Kids’ featuring Susanne Sundfør ended up at #14 and this outstanding track, ‘Go’ featuring French-Vietnamese artist Mai Lan. You know you're onto something good when you get a good sax intro. M83 (cleverly) plays down the verses on this track, in fact towards the end of the first verse you wonder where it's going a bit. Then there's a countdown in the bridge and it's building towards something. Then wow when that bassline introduces the chorus it totally changes!! The chords are great slightly off with each other which gives it a unique sound. But the best bit is the guitar solo in the middle which is totally 80s and out of this world!! And then to bring the chorus back in with it to close the song is brilliant and it really builds towards the climax. All about the music over the lyrics this one. I think it’s about someone going to a station or something. 5 weeks at #1 and very nearly the best track of 2016 for me, who could spoil it…
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Image Image

Yehan Jehan – Swallon the Horizon
#1 for 7 weeks, 12 weeks on chart
...Yes, that’s right a complete unknown musician! What a surprise. Until October this year the name Yehan Jehan meant absolutely nothing to me. But I instantly connected with so much about this song, the funk acid jazz style keyboards, the percussion for its simplicity and prominence, the atmospheric strings on the verse, his voice, his look (he looks pretty cool actually). I like every part of this track, the verses, the bridges and then the chorus: they are all different, he’s got lots of synths and reverb all over it. The bassline in the chorus is great and moody. The middle eight where it stops and the chord progression of the strings, is so uplifting. So, musically for me it’s the best I’ve heard this year. Mystery surrounds the lyrics, they’re quite spiritual. He had 7 weeks at the top and is a very worthy winner of 2016 in my view. I’m hoping his material continues in the same vain (but this is a hard act to follow). I’ve listened to this track so many times it will be with me for a very very long time and I know it will always be one of those tracks that makes my hair stand up on end. Happy times :D :D :D .
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:53 pm

So that's it for another End of Year countdown. As usual all that remains for me to do is post the Top 100 of 2016. Thanks to those who followed this review and even more thanks to those who left comment.

TTFN

1 1 Yehan Jehan - Swallow the Horizon
2 1 M83 — Go! (feat. Mai Lan)
3 1 OneRepublic — Kids
4 1 Kungs vs Cookin’ on 3 Burners — This Girl
5 2 Frankmusik — Day Break
6 1 Calvin Harris — This Is What You Came For
7 1 Sam Setton — Berlin
8 1 Honne & Izzy BIzu — Someone That Loves You
9 1 Disciples & David Guetta — No Worries
10 2 Young Franco — Drop Your Love (ft. DiRTY RADiO)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11 1 Panic! at the Disco — Death of a Bachelor
12 1 AlunaGeorge — Im In Control
13 1 Katy B — I Wanna Be
14 1 Rudimental — Rumour Mill feat. Anne-Marie & Will Heard
15 1 Tame Impala — The Less I Know the Better
16 3 Bruno Mars — 24K MAGIC
17 1 Ekkah — Can't Give It Up
18 2 Two Door Cinema Club — Bad Decisions
19 2 The Aston Shuffle — Make A Wrong Thing Right (ft. Micah Powell)
20 1 Greyson Chance — Afterlife
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21 2 Antony & Cleopatra — Take Me
22 2 Coldplay — Adventure Of A Lifetime
23 1 Philip George — Feel This Way (feat. Dragonette)
24 2 Justin Timberlake — Can't Stop The Feeling
25 2 Glass Animals — Life Itself
26 4 SACHI — Hold On
27 5 The 1975 — The Sound
28 3 Bearoid — Out of My Mind
29 3 Fenech-Soler — Kaleidoscope
30 2 Laura Mvula — Phenomenal Woman
31 3 Roosevelt — Fever
32 2 DJ Snake — Middle (ft. Bipolar Sunshine)
33 1 Lif — Say What
34 4 Bright Light Bright Light — All in the Name
35 5 Bear's Den — Emeralds
36 3 Pju — Coming Back (feat. Javi)
37 2 Arkells — My Heart's Always Yours
38 4 Sigma — Find Me (ft. Birdy)
39 3 Bright Light Bright Light — Symmetry Of Two Hearts
40 3 Alex Newell — Keep It Moving
41 3 Honne — Good Together
42 5 courtship. — Stop For Nothing
43 3 The xx — On Hold
44 2 Them Swoops — Into The Atmosphere
45 4 Coldplay — Up&Up
46 5 Sinead Harnett — Rather Be With You
47 4 Everything Everything — I Believe It Now
48 4 Kraak & Smaak — Stumble (feat. Parcels)
49 5 Classixx — Just Let Go
50 3 Duran Duran — What Are the Chances?
51 6 Dirty Radio — Killin Me 2.0
52 5 Santigold — Banshee
53 3 The Rocketboys — You and Everyone Else
54 5 The 1975 — A Change of Heart
55 7 Lemaitre - Playing To Lose (ft. Stanaj)
56 6 Coldplay — Everglow
57 2 Lemâitre — Day Two
58 6 Two Can — Holding On To You (ft. Savoi)
59 3 Two Another — Keeping Me Under
60 4 ABC — Viva Love
61 3 Powers — Hot
62 6 Kilter — They Don't Know Us
63 4 Ben Browning — Don't wait your turn
64 10 The Knocks — Heat (feat. Sam Nelson Harris)
65 4 Field Music — Disappointed
66 6 Tame Impala — Beverly Laurel
67 17 Cleopold — Not Coming Down
68 8 Jonas Blue — By Your Side (ft. RAYE)
69 7 Lif — You Dont Know Love
70 8 AlunaGeorge — Mean What I Mean
71 7 OneRepublic — Future Looks Good
72 5 Tame Impala — The Moment
73 5 Roosevelt — Colours / Moving On
74 6 Metronomy — Night Owl
75 9 MO — Final Song
76 7 Buvette — Smoke Machine Control / SMC
77 9 Charli XCX — Explode
78 8 Fickle Friends — Cry Baby (Honne Remix)
79 5 SACHI — No More (Feat. Zoe & SYSYI)
80 4 Kwabs — Cheating On Me (feat. Zak Abel) - Tom Misch refix
81 5 Gonzo Jones — Misty Dreams
82 8 Charli XCX — After The Afterparty (Ft. Lil Yachty)
83 11 Bob Sinclar & Daddys Groove — Burning
84 9 DAZED — drown
85 15 Pnau — Chameleon
86 8 Xan Young — Tomorrow
87 4 The 1975 — Somebody Else
88 9 Mike Posner — I Took A Pill In Ibiza
89 4 On and On — Icon Love
90 5 Powers — Sunshine
91 11 AlunaGeorge — Mediator
92 3 M83 — Do It, Try It
93 8 Figgy — Take It Back (feat. Angelica Bess)
94 13 Coldplay — Hymn for the Weekend
95 10 Chase & Status — Spoken Word
96 6 The Naked and Famous — The Runners
97 7 CHVRCHES — Bury It (ft. Hayley Williams)
98 8 Justice — Fire
99 11 Robbie Williams — Party Like a Russian
100 5 Tom Odell — Here I Am
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby Phoenixx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Great #06 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:04 am

After saying that, I barely know any of the top 10! Obvious highlights Calvin Harris & Kungs but my favourite is definitely OneRepublic, love it!

Lost track of Frankmusik of late, gonna give that one a spin!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Fantastic result for "Kids"! :D
Tansike
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts