MrK's Chart of 2016

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:14 pm

28--Bearoid – Out of My Mind
#3, 12 weeks on chart
The first appearance from Spaniard Dani Belenguer (aka Bearoid or should that be Beard-roid) in my chart has given him a huge hit, which is very melodic and easy on the ears. It’s a very 80s sound with elements of pop, funk and disco and would sit well on any mainstream radio station. Video was a bit corny but not a bad placing for a debut track.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:15 pm

27--The 1975 – The Sound
#5, 18 weeks on chart
And now back to 1975 – no not the year (flower power and flares) but the band. They did well this year releasing several songs from the unusually titled ‘I like it when you sleep for you are beautiful yet so unaware of it’ album. This was the killer one though amazingly spending ten weeks inside the top ten bouncing around between positions 5 and 10 and it was probably the piano hook which led to its longevity.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:15 pm

26--SACHI – Hold On
#4, 14 weeks on chart
The lead single from their ‘Lunch with Bianca’ EP, the repetitive vocals on this one give it a kind of hypnotic vibe throughout and the funky guitars and synths give it a warm, positive, uplifting sound.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:08 pm

25--Glass Animals – Life Itself
#2, 19 weeks on chart
The percussion on this track is fantastic: whistles, pops and tambourines play over a Bollywood style drum section. The lyrics are about an outcast living with his mum in a basement with some great lines like, ‘thought that I was northern Camden’s own Flash Gordon’. It’s a well-placed debut appearance on the chart from fairly new Oxford band Glass Animals.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:09 pm

The Sound is ace :D Gonna check the Fenech Soler one also cause I love them!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:10 pm

24--Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop the Feeling
#2, 15 weeks on chart
This was everywhere in 2016 and admittedly I found it hard to avoid the feelgood appeal of this track from JT. He pops up every now and then emulating Michael Jackson. It didn’t reach #1 here nor on mainstream UK charts but ended up a close second for a couple of weeks.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:10 pm

23—Philip George & Dragonette – Feel This Way
#1 for 2 weeks, 12 weeks on chart
UK producer Philip George achieved good things in April with this retro piano-house banger & even recruited Dragonette to help out. Apparently near the end if you listen closely you can hear strains of Earth, Wind and Fire’s ‘September’. It’s his second appearance on the End of Year as ‘Wish You Were Mine’ ended up at #75 on 2015’s chart.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:11 pm

22--Coldplay – Adventure of a Lifetime
#2, 19 weeks on chart
And now for a track that gets its second appearance on an End of Year chart. AOAL ended up at #20 in 2015 after spending 4 weeks at #1. It continued its success into 2016, spending 5 weeks at #2 in January/February and has had several re-entries into the Top 75 since then. Its Coldplay’s one and only appearance in this year’s Top 40, ‘Up and Up’ just missing out at #45.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:12 pm

21--Antony & Cleopatra – Take Me
#2, 12 weeks on chart
It’s back to the old skool for this anthem with its breakbeats and uplifting pianos which help the track build to, admittedly not too much of a climax. Anthony & Cleopatra are a London-based male-female duo and originally released this track in the middle of 2015. They also released ‘Love is a Lonely Dancer’ which did less well but was still a decent dance tune.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:23 pm

28--Bearoid – Out of My Mind
This song just flows
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:44 pm

20--Greyson Chance – Afterlife
#1 for 4 weeks, 12 weeks on chart
This guy has a great voice and I’m surprised that he hasn’t yet achieved mainstream success. Mind you at 19 he’s got a lot of years ahead yet. Quite a chilled out vibe on this, number one right at the start of the year. And that falsetto!!
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 pm

19--Aston Shuffle – Make a Wrong Thing Right (ft. Micah Powell)
#2, 16 weeks on chart
Australian producers Aston Shuffle appeared on 2014’s EOY chart with ‘Tear it Down’ but didn’t quite make the Top 40 on that occasion. Sounding a lot like Disclosure and Sam Smith, this was a right blast in September.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:06 pm

18--Two Door Cinema Club – Bad Decisions
#2, 14 weeks on chart
TDCC came under some criticism in 2016 for changing direction with some of their music. Not from me though. This second release from Gameshow with its disco funk sound did extremely well and became their biggest hit (Changing of the Seasons was #36 in 2013). Excellent song, brilliant falsetto, crazy video.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:08 pm

17--Ekkah – Can’t Give it Up
#1 for 4 weeks, 7 weeks on chart
Ekkah are two old schoolfriends who have been making music for a few years. They first came to my attention when they released ‘Last Chance to Dance’ in 2014. The sound is very disco, soulful, 80s sounding. This was #1 in Christmas week.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:10 pm

16--Bruno Mars – 24K Magic
#3, 12 weeks on chart
More 80s disco funk from Bruno Mars very much along the lines of Uptown Funk. This song oozes cheese but it is a good sound and very high in this chart despite only reaching #3.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:23 pm

15--Tame Impala – The Less I Know the Better
#1 for 3 weeks, 21 weeks on chart
The unmistakable psychedelic sound of Tame Impala gave them a #1 this year with this, a song about unrequited love. That feeling when the person you love goes off with a gorilla (check the video!) I’m never that keen on the use of names in a song but its ok here. ‘Currents’ was a fairly decent album. Two other top 10 hits ‘The Moment’ (#72) and ‘Beverley Laurel’ (#66) followed. A good year for them.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:24 pm

14--Rudimental – Rumour Mill (ft. Anne-Marie & Will Heard)
#1 for 1 week, 19 weeks on chart
This is a corker of a tune. Rudimental went all 90s house and garage on this track with rising stars Anne-Marie and Will Heard and although originally released in 2015 it reached #1 in March this year. It’s kind of two songs, splitting halfway into a more of a dub track with a sample over the top. Whatever, it’s fantastic.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:26 pm

13--Katy B – I Wanna Be (ft. Chris Lorenzo)
#1 for 1 week, 18 weeks on chart
With Rudimental, Katy B is the only other act to spend just a week at #1. This is another great house tune employing the talents of producer Chris Lorenzo (and very reminiscent of the 90s era). The night out video filmed in East London also gave it a bit of an edge.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:27 pm

12--AlunaGeorge – I’m in Control (ft. Popcaan)
#1 for 3 weeks, 20 weeks on chart
One of my favourite tracks of the year comes from AlunaGeorge who I’ve followed for a little while. I must admit upon first listen I was unconvinced but it wasn’t long before I was converted to the sound. It was even a very borderline UK hit despite having over 20million hits on YT. Aluna Francis dances with attitude in the video.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:29 pm

11--Panic! at the Disco – Death of a Bachelor
#1 for 3 weeks, 11 weeks on chart
And now for something completely different, I mean really. It’s Panic! at the Disco who just miss the top ten on this year’s chart. I’m not a big follower of their material but this track stood out as a move away from their usual rock sound. Vocalist and instrumentalist Brendan Urie adopts a king of the swingers approach as he mooches his way through a jazz ditty contemplating his forthcoming marriage and it works really well. DOAB is a great track and entertained me a lot in March and has done well considering it spent only 11 weeks in the Top 75 - short but sweet. :D
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Ekkah (4 weeks, impressive) and Tame Impala are my highlights in this pack of songs :)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:18 pm

38--Sigma - Find Me (ft. Birdy)
22--Coldplay – Adventure of a Lifetime
16--Bruno Mars – 24K Magic
Really like these so far :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:57 am

Oh my things just took a turn for the better for me here - LOTS of highlights!

Great to see Two Door here, definitely no complaints for the change of sound from me either, the album is perfection!

Also great to see Tame Impala (I kinda agree about the use of names, for me it's the only clunky bit but the song itself is great)

The AlunaGeorge track made it into my top 10, still sounding SO fresh.

And that Panic! tune... I love the old crooner style they took on it, another really fantastic 2016 album.. worth noting that if you like them doing this style better, you might really like the final track on the album, it's called 'Impossible Year' and it's another in which he croons! Check it out!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby MisterK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:57 pm

10--Young Franco – Drop Your Love (ft. DiRTY RADiO)
#2, 14 weeks on chart
DiRTY RADiO originate from Canada and blend R&B with nu disco and elements of house music and have released some great tracks this year (‘Curious’, ‘Killin Me’) while guesting on others. This being one of them was recorded with Young Franco aka Joey Da Rin (aged 21) who originates from Australia and from what I can see/hear makes similar music. The video, released in August features Joey and others being covered in liquid string. Check out the piano drop at around 45seconds…it doesn’t last but it’s jaw dropping and gets the track off to a great start. 4 weeks at #2 is rare.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Postby MisterK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:58 pm

9--Disciples & David Guetta – No Worries
#1 for 2 weeks, 19 weeks on chart
At 9 it’s yet another dance track from earlier in the year when UK trio Disciples teamed up with (veteran?) EDM King David Guetta on this track ‘No Worries’ in May. I like the way it builds during the verse but the best bit for me in this song is from the breakdown in the middle eight section. It returns back to the chorus with a shimmery synth to the end. Very 80s. Class. Worst part of the song monotone repetition of random words during the chorus. There was sort of a lyric video released later in June but by then I wasn’t worried about the song no more ha ha.
MisterK
Personal Assistant

Return to Year End Personal Charts