Manager

Postby Tansike » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Oh very excited for this, as i'm sure this will be an awesome countdown! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:03 pm

...and we're off!!! :D

100. Sia - Angel by the wings

In both 2014 and 2015 Sia had multiple entries in my year end charts and 2016 is no exception. Angel by the wings, which got to #5 in my chart a couple of weeks ago, is the first of three songs from Sia to make my chart of 2016. I'm probably going to be in the minority where Cheap thrills won't be appearing in my year end chart! :lol:

Last edited by JakeP on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:14 pm

99. George Michael - Careless whisper

One of three posthumous entries in my chart. I think it's safe to say that 2016 was an appalling year for celebrity deaths, especially from the world of music. It's such a shame George Michael passed away on christmas day, of all days, as it's given "last christmas" a whole new meaning. :( Such an incredible singer, here he is with the single that kick started his incredible career as a solo artist. :cry:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:27 pm

98. Lukas Graham - You're not there

This week a year ago Lukas Graham were #1 in my chart with 7 years and whilst that single is still to come based on its continued success into 2016, here at #98 is You're not there which is currently #5 in my chart. Barely three songs into the countdown and i've already set a sombre depressing tone with the theme of death. Wasn't 2016 such a wonderful year? :P

I can assure you #97 kicks up the pace. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:41 pm

97. OneRepublic - Kids

OneRepublic returned in 2016 with the release of their fourth studio album Oh my my back in October. Kids, the second single taken from the album provided Ryan Tedder and co with a successful top 5 hit in my chart.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:16 pm

96. Britney Spears - Just luv me

Following the release of Glory at the end of August, Britney Spears dominated my chart when eight album tracks entered my chart. Just luv me was one of the better performing tracks in my chart peaking at #4. What's not to love about this song? Britney sounds so lush, such gorgeous vocals whilst the song itself is a stunning ballad with amazing production to enhance Britney's vocals.

Unfortunately i can't embed videos from Vimeo so click HERE to listen to the track and also watch a lovely tribute to Britney at the same time. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:44 pm

YES! Let's get this party STARTED!!! :D

• Wait...what? You don't like "Cheap Thrills"...in any version? After a quick browse through your Top 100 of 2015, I don't see it there either. This must've come up at some point before now, and I must've just blocked it out :lol: It's pretty surprising, given how much you seem to like Sia in general, that you don't like one of her most well-received hits...at all?
• Definitely sweet of you to include a George Michael tribute here. I think you mentioned somewhere that he was one of your mum's faves? I only own Ladies & Gentlemen, but there's no denying his impact in the 80's, and his status as one of the biggest openly-gay celebrities in the world (even if he wasn't out at the time of his greatest commercial success.) RIP.
• The fact that "Just Luv Me" comes directly after my absolute-Glory-favorite "Man On The Moon" has definitely helped its cause, since sometimes I'm too distracted to hit "skip" right away - otherwise I probably never would've revisited it after the first week or two :lol: Props for finding a clever way to link to the track, though! I was having such a hard time finding unedited versions of Glory tracks on YouTube or Dailymotion that I just decided to do without. :oops:
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:20 pm

phoenix98 wrote:YES! Let's get this party STARTED!!! :D

• Wait...what? You don't like "Cheap Thrills"...in any version? After a quick browse through your Top 100 of 2015, I don't see it there either. This must've come up at some point before now, and I must've just blocked it out :lol: It's pretty surprising, given how much you seem to like Sia in general, that you don't like one of her most well-received hits...at all?
• Definitely sweet of you to include a George Michael tribute here. I think you mentioned somewhere that he was one of your mum's faves? I only own Ladies & Gentlemen, but there's no denying his impact in the 80's, and his status as one of the biggest openly-gay celebrities in the world (even if he wasn't out at the time of his greatest commercial success.) RIP.
• The fact that "Just Luv Me" comes directly after my absolute-Glory-favorite "Man On The Moon" has definitely helped its cause, since sometimes I'm too distracted to hit "skip" right away - otherwise I probably never would've revisited it after the first week or two :lol: Props for finding a clever way to link to the track, though! I was having such a hard time finding unedited versions of Glory tracks on YouTube or Dailymotion that I just decided to do without. :oops:
Thanks Paul :D

The first of many comments i'm sure. :wink: Surprisingly yes, Cheap thrills was only a minor hit in my chart despite the fact i adore Sia. I first charted the track in late 2015 where it originally peaked at #17. Then when it did start doing well, it re-entered my chart at #8 but quickly dropped down again. I do like the song but it's far from being one of my absolute favourite Sia singles. Still, it's nice to be different! :lol: :P

My year end charts are always based on all my weekly charts throughout the year, and Careless whisper entered at #4 this week as a paying tribute to a fantastic singer and artist. Yes, my mum loves so much music from the 80s that was her era! :lol: But i've grown up listening to some of that music from a young age so i've always had a soft spot for 80s pop. Tbh, had George Michael been openly gay from the start i doubt he would've had any success at all in America which is pretty shameful really when you consider what he did achieve there. I find it hilarious that he successfully managed to pull off portraying himself as a heterosexual sex symbol. :P

Just luv me is the first of four Britney tracks to make my top 100. The other three are much higher up though. :wink:
Last edited by JakeP on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:31 pm

95. Stereoact featuring Kerstin Ott - Die immer lacht

Step forward KokoCollino! :D That's right, i discovered Die immer lacht through checking Koko's chart earlier in the year. It's a slice of cheese, dipped in melted cheese and sprinkled with cheese! But for a period of time i loved this! :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:01 pm

94. Prince & The Revolution - Purple rain

My second of three posthumous entries in my chart of 2016, this time for Prince with his iconic track Purple rain at #94. Such a revolutionary artist, Prince was incredibly unique and unlike any other artist out there. Whilst George Michael hadn't released any new material in recent years, Prince had released two albums in 2015 and iirc he was even planning a tour with his band 3RDEYEGIRL before his untimely death. :(

As a treat, click HERE to watch Prince performing Purple rain from the 1984 movie.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:38 pm

93. Drake featuring Wizkid & Kyla - One dance

From one shock 2016 moment to another! :P At #93 its Drake's One dance which has enjoyed astronomical success since its release back in April. Pretty much the song that was inescapable throughout the summer hogging the #1 spot in many countries for endless weeks including the UK. One dance stalled at #6 in my chart but managed to hold its own with some decent longevity.

Another victim of YouTube so click HERE to watch a clip taken from Drake's short film Please forgive me.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:55 pm

92. The Veronicas - On your side

The Veronicas are at #92 with their first of two appearances in my chart of 2016 with their most recent single On your side which reached #4 in my chart. Just a shame this didn't seem to be popular on UK Mix with many deeming the song "generic" but as someone who loves pure unashamed pop, this was right up my street. :lol: I also really like Ollipop's blend of tropical house and europop in the production, makes the song sound more euphoric. :D

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:12 am

91. Ellie Goulding - Something in the way you move

king_oxymoron speaks on behalf on literally everybody!!! :lol:

king_oxymoron wrote:Let me not get into a real mad rant about how the Delirium era has been RIDICULOUSLY and AWFULLY handled (as if we never properly got Something In The Way You Move or indeed ANYTHING after Army)
To conclude this first day of the countdown we have Ellie Goulding at #91 with Something in the way you move which really should've been a single. I'd even go as far as saying it should've been the lead single off Delirium as i loved this so much more than the quirky but slightly forgettable On my mind. This track originally reached #6 off the back of the album release as it stood out instantly. Following the release of the music video in February i thought maybe there was a slight chance this song would have its moment of glory but nothing came of it. If ever the phrase "wasted opportunity" has applied a song, this would be that song. :(

The chart will continue tomorrow. Goodnight guys! (yes i'm tired) :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:05 am

JakeP wrote:The first of many comments i'm sure. :wink: Surprisingly yes, Cheap thrills was only a minor hit in my chart despite the fact i adore Sia. I first charted the track in late 2015 where it originally peaked at #17. Then when it did start doing well, it re-entered my chart at #8 but quickly dropped down again. I do like the song but it's far from being one of my absolute favourite Sia singles. Still, it's nice to be different! :lol: :P
#rebel 8-) Surprises like that keep things extra-interesting, though, so it's not a bad thing at all - just definitely unexpected with this particular track and artist!

• "One Dance" really was such a No. 1 hog in 2016: 15 in the UK and 10 weeks in the US :x That complaint aside, I definitely like the song, and it was awesome to see Drake finally achieve such a huge international hit as a lead artist (especially after "Hotline Bling" narrowly missed out on topping the Hot 100 due to the video being an Apple Music exclusive.) Also, like Britney, here we have another track whose official audio/video was a nightmare to find for linkage purposes :lol: I didn't even realize that the official video was actually part of a whole short film until I was compiling my countdown!
• On paper, I should've loved "On Your Side" more than I did, so I'm not quite sure why it never really clicked. I do like it, though, and I'm REALLY liking that hint that "In My Blood" will be appearing even higher!
:lol: SO true about "everybody." Not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said many times before, but it's TRULY mind-boggling how what should've been Ellie's biggest era yet (and seemed to be crafted specifically to accomplish that) somehow turned out to be her least successful by far. This track in particular is such a perfect pop bop.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:05 pm

:lol: Thanks for using my quote! If it had been properly released as a single it would have been HIIIIIIIIIIGH in my chart, great pop song. The Drake song is good but so overdone, so it's Ellie and OneRepublic who rule this set for me, should have been a top 5 in real life too!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:57 pm

phoenix98 wrote:#rebel 8-) Surprises like that keep things extra-interesting, though, so it's not a bad thing at all - just definitely unexpected with this particular track and artist!

• "One Dance" really was such a No. 1 hog in 2016: 15 in the UK and 10 weeks in the US :x That complaint aside, I definitely like the song, and it was awesome to see Drake finally achieve such a huge international hit as a lead artist (especially after "Hotline Bling" narrowly missed out on topping the Hot 100 due to the video being an Apple Music exclusive.) Also, like Britney, here we have another track whose official audio/video was a nightmare to find for linkage purposes :lol: I didn't even realize that the official video was actually part of a whole short film until I was compiling my countdown!
• On paper, I should've loved "On Your Side" more than I did, so I'm not quite sure why it never really clicked. I do like it, though, and I'm REALLY liking that hint that "In My Blood" will be appearing even higher!
:lol: SO true about "everybody." Not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said many times before, but it's TRULY mind-boggling how what should've been Ellie's biggest era yet (and seemed to be crafted specifically to accomplish that) somehow turned out to be her least successful by far. This track in particular is such a perfect pop bop.
#proudrebel :lol: I love that Sia did get such a massive hit out of Cheap thrills, for me the biggest surprise was when this song topped the American charts. That i really didn't coming. :o

One dance was everywhere but i guess Drake owes a lot of that success to Spotify, putting the track #1 on so many playlists so inadvertently encouraging everyone to listen to that song more than any other. It's like a cd, how many times do you put on a cd and skip to track 2 before track 1 even starts playing? I see playlists as very similar. :P

Ahh yes i remember when Drake released that film it was an Apple Music exclusive. I thought it might've got through the censors on YouTube but the best i could find was a pitched version, and i hate those videos. I mean, if i want to listen to Alvin & The Chipmunks, i will watch the cartoon. :lol: :P

In my blood did a lot better overall in my weekly charts so safe to say its a lot higher up than On your side. :wink: As for Ellie, there isn't much else we can say about the wasted opportunity. It does surprise me that there are people who work at these big record companies who can't see hit potential when its staring them in the face. That said, i get the impression most people in the music industry are like Simon Cowell. Clueless when it comes to music and only care about how they can make money. Shameful really but if it they knew a hit single when they heard it they would probably make a lot more money.

Would you like to start a record label with me? We'd make millions! :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:00 pm

king_oxymoron wrote::lol: Thanks for using my quote! If it had been properly released as a single it would have been HIIIIIIIIIIGH in my chart, great pop song. The Drake song is good but so overdone, so it's Ellie and OneRepublic who rule this set for me, should have been a top 5 in real life too!
LOL :lol: Your comment was so spot on, i thought i couldn't write that same comment any better so just "sampled" it from your thread. :P

Yes, i think if One dance hadn't been such an omnipresence i might've enjoyed the song more and it might've fared better in my chart in the long run. At least you love the Ellie and OneRepublic tracks so it's all good. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:15 pm

90. David Bowie - Blackstar

My final posthumous entry in my top 100 of 2016 goes to David Bowie with Blackstar. A song that captures every emotion possible in 10 minutes like an extended rollercoaster ride! Whats starts off as a quirky dance inspired track with repetitive but haunting vocals leads you into a false sense of security once the song hits the 4:21 mark. This is when Blackstar transforms into a different song but ultimately my favourite part of the song. The lyrics set the tone and theme of the song; impending death. Considering the video was first released in November 2015 and knowing what we know now, this must've been David Bowie's way of telling us he was dying and that death was inevitable, it was just a matter of time. The second single Lazarus released just before his death was almost like the confirmation. Sadly the latter track didn't quite make my chart of 2016 but it's still a remarkable track from an incredible album. Apparently David Bowie was already working on the follow up to Blackstar before he passed away so it's left to be seen if any more recordings will surface in 2017.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:34 pm

89. Galantis & Hook N Sling - Love on me

Time to completely change the tone of this countdown with my #89 track of the year courtesy of Galantis & Hook N Sling. Whilst Galantis topped my chart in 2015 with Runaway (u & i), 2016 saw the swedish producers continue to deliver with two tracks making an impression on me in 2016. Love on me is the first of those singles to make my year end chart, impressive for a song that peaked at #7 but had enduring longevity in my chart. If you love your music fun, camp and flamboyant then this is the song for you. If this music video doesn't put a smile on your face you have a heart of stone! :P

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:50 pm

88. Ariana Grande - Dangerous woman

What an amazing year its been for Ariana! Of course it didn't start off that promising when Focus came along and all i heard was a basic bitch version of Problem. Thankfully this was resigned to "single only" status and then the real hits started to appear. :P Ariana Grande scores five entries in my top 100 of 2016, an amazing achievement considering none of her singles made it all the way to #1 in my chart. So here at #88 is the title track from the album that i suspect quite a few people on UK Mix bought.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:01 pm

87. DNCE - Cake by the ocean

In 2015 it was Nick who was the most successful Jonas brother in my chart with his single Jealous. In 2016 it was the turn of Joe to represent the Jonas brothers. His band's breakthrough single Cake by the ocean entered my chart in February and peaked at #7 five weeks later.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 pm

86. Rihanna - Sledgehammer

When ANTI was released i checked out the album track previews on iTunes and to say i was underwhelmed was an understatement. :( But there was light at the end of the tunnel and Rihanna went on to score three big hits in my chart - two of those as the featured artist. The first Rihanna appearance is here at #86 with Sledgehammer taken from the Star trek beyond ost. With its rousing chorus, you can tell it's a Sia track and just like Diamonds Rihanna delivers such a strong vocal delivery. Some say Rihanna sounds like she's impersonating Sia on these tracks but who cares? It's Rihanna at her most fabulous and i'm happy this song came along after the disappointment of ANTIclimax. :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Cake By The Ocean and Love on Me are both cute likeable bops... Dangerous Woman is next level though, thunderous, sexy pop!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:03 pm

"Careless Whisper" is my favourite George Michael song. It's aged like fine wine too.

"Kids" is good, but like I've mentioned in several other countdowns, I just didn't click with OneRepublic this era.

"Just Luv Me" is fantastic! I love the lyrics, and I'm so happy we got a mid-tempo ballad from Brit Brit. She doesn't have enough of those in her collection (not enough quality ones anyway).

"Purple Rain" is my favourite Prince song, and my sister's favourite song of all-time, so I've heard it quite a lot over the years. I'd typically groan at the prospect of enduring a song that's almost nine minutes in length, but the song always manages to maintain my interest. Masterpiece of rock music really!

"One Dance" is easily one of the catchiest songs Drake has put out, but overexposure has ruined a lot of its appeal for me.

"Dangerous Woman" is good, but it is fittingly the lowest of the Ariana Grande singles.

Who expected Joe Jonas to return in such a big way? "Cake by the Ocean" was definitely a hugely pleasant surprise from someone who I thought we'd seen and heard the last of years ago. For me, though, Nick had one song in 2016 superior to this one.

"Sledgehammer" was indeed a breath of familiar air after enduring the oddness of Anti. Despite it growing off of me rather quickly, I still love its uplifting lyrics and grand melody.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts