JakeP Top 100 of 2016

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

 

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:03 pm

25. Britney Spears featuring G-Eazy - Make me…
Image

At #25 "it's Britney bitch" and she really delivered with the release of Make me... Such a gorgeous song, Britney's vocals are incredibly lush and thankfully helium-free (looking at you Private show! :x ). You're not getting the official music video because quite frankly it was a DISASTER! :lol: Shame they never had the courage to stick with the original version. From all the leaks i've watched on YouTube it was clearly amazing, so homoerotic and stunning. Did they really think this would damage Britney's chances of getting a hit? Did the official video really help in the end? :-? :lol:

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:18 pm

24. Meghan Trainor - NO
Image

You've heard of the phrase "difficult second album" so after Meghan Trainor enjoyed so much success with Title, where could she go next? NO was quite the curveball as based on the first 20 seconds i initially expected some doo-wap motown beat to kick in, but instead Meghan delivered a song that was straight outta early 00s Max Martin r&b/pop and i loved it. :P I think a lot of people compared this song to Britney's Overprotected as they sure sounded similar. However, from what i remember most people seemed to be more fixated by the music video (i really couldn't have cared less! :lol: ) but it got people talking, maybe that was Meghan's intention all along.

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:38 pm

23. Matoma & Becky Hill - False alarm
Image

At #23 its Matoma & Becky Hill with False alarm, a glorious slice of tropical pop. There were a lot of trop-pop tracks released throughout 2016 (thanks for that Kygo, blaming you! :lol: ) but when i first heard False alarm i loved it so much thanks to Becky's powerful vocals really enhancing the song tenfold for me. False alarm went on to spend three weeks at #1 in my chart. It was a minor hit here in the UK but i would've loved to have seen this song gaining more success than it did.

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:10 pm

22. Katy Perry - Rise
Image

Take it away Akini :P

JSparksFan wrote:
The best Olympic theme song since the great Whitney Houston's "One Moment in Time", "Rise" soundtracked NBC's promotional campaign of the Rio Games, and I think it's the visual I see that elevates this song to special territory for me. I am an enormous track and field fan, and this year was a gruelling season for most of my favourite stars, especially my all-time favourite athlete, and this song does a great job of capturing the intensity of Olympic-level competition, and really taking you through the entire journey, not just the big show, but the moments of self-doubt, the moments where progress is elusive, the moments you suffer a freak gym injury that jeopardises your legacy year...The O ye of so little faith line also fit my perspective on the CPA exams to a T, but the I will not negotiate lyric is filled with such self-confidence. This song had so much meaning in my life this year, and I'm sure most people will just write it off as a second-rate, failed attempt at creating something inspirational, but Katy knocked this out of the park for me, more on a lyrical level than anything else, which was shocking. It's not quite surpassed "Firework", but it's phenomenal that in an off year, Katy delivers one of her career-best offerings.
When it came to the Rise vs Make me... chart battle, it was Katy Perry who triumphed not just once, not just twice, but successfully held onto my #1 spot for three weeks.

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:24 pm

21. The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk - I feel it coming
Image

Just missing out on a place inside my top 20 of 2016, it's the highest entry for The Weeknd with his sensational track I feel it coming. Again like Starboy, having Daft Punk on board was always going to keep my interest levels high but i wasn't expecting such an amazing song as this, as much as i did love Starboy pretty much from the off. I feel it coming showcases some of the finest vocals i've heard from The Weeknd, and the song whilst upbeat still manages to retain a feeling of sadness which i find endearing.

If you haven't seen the M A N I A short film, but you also haven't got 12 minutes to spare then jump to 8:42 into the video and enjoy. :wink:

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby marat2408 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:47 pm

Surprised to see "I Feel It Coming" already on your Year End Chart, because it's a new song for me.
User avatar
marat2408
Superstar
 
Posts: 8745
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009
Location: Russia

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:41 pm

marat2408 wrote:Surprised to see "I Feel It Coming" already on your Year End Chart, because it's a new song for me.
Hi Marat :D

I feel it coming was announced as the second single around the same time as the album release. I was so in love with the song i bought it on iTunes although i didn't buy the whole album. So that's why this single has already had a very successful run in my chart. :wink:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:58 pm

20. Little Mix - Touch
Image

Little Mix absolutely smashed it throughout 2016 and that success is reflected here as the girls bag themselves three entries within my top 20 of 2016. Kicking off the top 20 it's their latest single Touch. After buying Glory days, seven of the album tracks entered my top 20 off the back of its release. On first play of the whole album, my absolute favourite new discovery was Touch which stood out on first listen. But the deluxe edition also included the gorgeous acoustic version of the song too, so a combination of the two versions helped Little Mix top my chart. I had a gut feeling Touch would be confirmed as a new single even before the girls made the announcement. It really was a no brainer! :P

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby heppolo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 pm

23. Matoma & Becky Hill - False alarm
Gets my honourary title of the best song i've heard in a shopping mall in 2016
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 13365
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:09 pm

heppolo wrote:
23. Matoma & Becky Hill - False alarm
Gets my honourary title of the best song i've heard in a shopping mall in 2016
LOL!!! :lol:

I'm sure Becky Hill would be honoured with such a title. :P
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby heppolo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:14 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:
23. Matoma & Becky Hill - False alarm
Gets my honourary title of the best song i've heard in a shopping mall in 2016
LOL!!! :lol:

I'm sure Becky Hill would be honoured with such a title. :P
Becky's voice does magic with those [arguably not that exciting] electronic songs.
Waffles are checked cookies
User avatar
heppolo
Legend
 
Posts: 13365
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009
Location: interchangeable

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:22 pm

19. Britney Spears - Man on the moon
Image

At #19 it's the highest entry of 2016 for Britney Spears with the magnificent pop masterpiece that is Man on the moon. Similarly to Touch at #20, i also bought Glory when it was released and this was my absolute highlight. Whilst the album covered a whole spectrum of styles from the lush ballad Just luv me (#96), the mega bop Do you wanna come over? (#39) and of course the single Make me... (#25) it was the unashamedly pop Man on the moon that ticked all the boxes for me. I also remember me and Magnus sharing our appreciation for this song when Britney topped both our charts with this track.

Again, there is plenty of clickbait on YouTube ( :x ) so sit back, relax and enjoy the real thing HERE. :wink:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:28 pm

heppolo wrote:
JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:
23. Matoma & Becky Hill - False alarm
Gets my honourary title of the best song i've heard in a shopping mall in 2016
LOL!!! :lol:

I'm sure Becky Hill would be honoured with such a title. :P
Becky's voice does magic with those [arguably not that exciting] electronic songs.
Whilst i'm a lot more willing to check out a lot of edm songs even though i'm aware they're likely to sound similar, i still give them a chance. But i totally agree that Becky's vocals are incredible on the track and i think that's why i gave this song so much more appreciation.
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 pm

18. Clean Bandit featuring Louisa Johnson - Tears
Image

When Louisa Johnson won X faxtor 2015 i was so happy as she had been one of my favourite contestants. So imagine my disappointment when i heard her winner's single Forever young. Tragic! :cry: Thankfully Clean Bandit saved the day when they, presumably had Simon Cowell begging them for a hit. However it all came about, Clean Bandit joined forces with Louisa and Tears was released in May. The song leaked the night before release and being a fan of both acts i just had to listen. What a listen! <3 It was pure pop bliss with the trademark cello and Louisa's powerful vocals making this a personal bop, once i got past the first chorus! :lol: It became Clean Bandit's fourth #1 in my chart and they still managed to surpass themselves with a fifth... :wink:

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby MrRager » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Stand By You <3

Make Me... and Man On The Moon are surprisingly good!
#Pray4AL6
User avatar
MrRager
Legend
 
Posts: 17581
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009
Location: Manaus

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:57 pm

17. Calvin Harris featuring Rihanna - This is what you came for
Image

We found love is one of my favourite songs of all time so when i first heard that Calvin Harris and Rihanna were releasing a new single together i did get excited. So when the track finally dropped, my interest levels were sky high. A lot of people were disappointed when they first heard This is what you came for but i was loving it. For starters, i didn't want Calvin and RiRi to try and attempt another We found love because that song was so amazing in its own way. Do i think this song is better? Of course not, but i wasn't expecting it to be. I actually loved that Calvin went down the chilled dance route with the song, and Rihanna sounds so incredible. Admittedly, i still wish the second drop towards the end of the song could've sounded bigger just to complete the song but that aside, i still enjoy listening to this song.

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:02 pm

MrRager wrote:Stand By You <3

Make Me... and Man On The Moon are surprisingly good!
I think my countdown has Stand by you ranked the highest! :lol: I adore the song, and it got so close to making #1 but just missed out by that weekend. It still ended up doing really well so it's all good. :D

Did you buy Glory? Man on the moon is just so incredible, i was so happy to hear Britney doing a song like it for her album. <3
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:12 pm

16. Sigala featuring Imani & DJ Fresh - Say you do
Image

Sigala achieved his second #1 in my chart in March with Say you do following 2015's Easy love. Teaming up with DJ Fresh and newcomer Imani Williams, they captured the sound of summer with this uplifting feel good track based around Mariah Carey's Always be my baby.

User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:42 pm

JakeP wrote:I wonder if there's anything we don't have in common? :P

Ohh so you started to discover yourself when you were around 11 or 12 then? I must've been 13 when i first started to question my sexuality and by the time i was 14 i knew i was gay. It did make p.e. lessons more difficult especially when all the boys in my class were stripped naked in the showers and the horror of getting aroused and someone noticing. :oops: :lol: Thankfully it never happened to me, although it did happen to another boy in my class. I felt sorry for him but out of fear, i just laughed with the others! :(

I really like Charlie Puth as a singer even though i don't particularly find him sexy, but i love the fact he does unashamed pop music, and his success has proved that there is always gonna be a market for pure pop. :wink:

I'm not that surprised that Who Is Fancy has been forgotten by most people. He didn't exactly have any big hits to make a name for himself, i just loved Boys like you when i first heard it but that was down to Meghan and Ariana.

I'm probably alone then with my love for both Beautiful liar and Bang bang, the latter seemed to be slated despite its success but i loved it. :lol:

It's official, Musical Cuddle©! :P
Ha, well, aside from height...there's always "Work" and "Closer" too. :lol:

I never would've guessed that you've got a mean girl side to you, Jake :wink: I better make sure never to cross you here! Although it sounds a bit gross as I'm typing it out now, they (thankfully) never made us shower after PE. Our locker rooms had showers for the teams to use after actual games, but after PE we'd just change back into our "street clothes" and rub on some deodorant (well, or spray on a TON of Axe, in the case of many guys...)

Whaaaat? Not even a little?

Yeah, sadly, even his "biggest" hit here ("Goodbye") only managed No. 98 on the Hot 100 :oops: I think he parted ways with his label after "Boys Like You" flopped...

I might have been a bit harsh on "Beauitful Liar" (I could take it or leave it, and I've never been MASSIVELY into Shakira anyway)...but "Bang Bang" was definitely a disappointment considering how much I'd enjoyed other singles from all three of those ladies on their own.

BRILLIANT! :lol:

• Did NOT know that "Fight Song" was a UK No. 1 :o Right on! I adore that track (my No. 8 of 2015) , and "Stand By You" is definitely a lovely follow-up. Shame that it couldn't maintain the momentum from FS in most places.
• Ha, Ellie really HAS served up several solid soundtrack singles over the past few years! "Beating Heart" never did much for me, but LMLYD landed at No. 4 on my 2015 YEC, and I'm finally starting to warm-up to "Here's To Us." The "victims of the iTunes preview" bit is so relatable too! While they've certainly helped me to fall instantly in love with some tracks, they've definitely steered me wrong many times too!
• I didn't follow the "Make Me..." video drama too closely at the time - just aware that a sexier original version was shelved at basically the last minute - and watching those clips now, I really don't see why they deemed it completely unacceptable to air :-? Cheers for sharing that, since it's definitely more interesting than the version they gave us! Not here for that PS shade, though ;) Don't hold it against Brit that she's able to do a range of things with her lovely voice!
• I'd totally forgotten about all the "Overprotected" comparisons with "NO" - I think there was even a (pretty good) mash-up floating around? Like Ari's DW, I definitely give credit to Meghan for taking a risk and REALLY shaking up her sound (especially after only one album) - it just didn't have a ton of staying power for me.
• So is "I Feel It Coming" The Weeknd's biggest JakeP success ever? Not a bad pick, by any means! It's certainly my favorite of everything I've heard off Starboy.
• AWESOME to see "Touch" crack your Top 20! That one's (tragically) going to fall victim to the 2016-2017 cut-off for me :oops: Like I was saying over in your weekly chart thread, you really do have amazing hit-predicting-ears! Here we have another perfect example of those at work with "Touch" being the clear standout on your first play through Glory Days - and then it's announced as the official second single not long after! #clairvoyant
• ...Followed up by an immediate-favorite that we both share (so of course it's one that DIDN'T become a proper single :x :lol:) Definitely a perfect piece of pop, and I could imagine it getting a gorgeous video if it's ever deemed single-worthy (granted, after the MM situation, it could end up with a painfully bland one too.) Maybe it's better off as the "Your Love" of Glory.
• The best part of your TIWYCF write-up is definitely when you describe "We Found Love" as "so amazing" and "of course" superior to TIWYCF :wink: TIWYCF is totally enjoyable in its own right, and I'm pretty sure it's Calvin's biggest Paulboard success ever (as a lead.) I do blame this song a bit for eclipsing poor "Kiss It Better" (not that they sound similar at all, but I think pop radio, at least here, was only willing to spin so many Rihanna tracks at once, and went with this one instead.)
• Obviously amazing to see Mariah crack your Top 20...in one form or another. ;)
User avatar
phoenix98
Legend
 
Posts: 12724
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:30 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, well, aside from height...there's always "Work" and "Closer" too. :lol:

I never would've guessed that you've got a mean girl side to you, Jake :wink: I better make sure never to cross you here! Although it sounds a bit gross as I'm typing it out now, they (thankfully) never made us shower after PE. Our locker rooms had showers for the teams to use after actual games, but after PE we'd just change back into our "street clothes" and rub on some deodorant (well, or spray on a TON of Axe, in the case of many guys...)

Whaaaat? Not even a little?

Yeah, sadly, even his "biggest" hit here ("Goodbye") only managed No. 98 on the Hot 100 :oops: I think he parted ways with his label after "Boys Like You" flopped...

I might have been a bit harsh on "Beauitful Liar" (I could take it or leave it, and I've never been MASSIVELY into Shakira anyway)...but "Bang Bang" was definitely a disappointment considering how much I'd enjoyed other singles from all three of those ladies on their own.

BRILLIANT! :lol:
...and Rise! :lol:

One thing i hate is peer pressure and i can at least say i've managed to rise above that. So like at 18 because i was single, and still not out to everyone, if was always awkward when your elderly uncle asks "have you got a girlfriend yet?" and the best i could say is "no, i'm still looking". *sigh* I can only laugh to myself now at the thought of me saying "no, but check out that young waiter over there, i can tell he's got a nice tight ass!" and just wait for my uncle's response. :lol: Never happened though! :P

LOL! :lol: Even Shawn Mendes has a hot body which actually impressed me when i first saw pictures. I imagined his body would be more like mine, kept in good shape but lacking the definition. I take it you just like naked men regardless of what they look like? Not too fussy! :P :lol:

Aww i loved Bang bang, it was such a fierce diva track. If Beyonce had released that song on her own it would've been world domination. :P

phoenix98 wrote:• Did NOT know that "Fight Song" was a UK No. 1 :o Right on! I adore that track (my No. 8 of 2015) , and "Stand By You" is definitely a lovely follow-up. Shame that it couldn't maintain the momentum from FS in most places.
• Ha, Ellie really HAS served up several solid soundtrack singles over the past few years! "Beating Heart" never did much for me, but LMLYD landed at No. 4 on my 2015 YEC, and I'm finally starting to warm-up to "Here's To Us." The "victims of the iTunes preview" bit is so relatable too! While they've certainly helped me to fall instantly in love with some tracks, they've definitely steered me wrong many times too!
• I didn't follow the "Make Me..." video drama too closely at the time - just aware that a sexier original version was shelved at basically the last minute - and watching those clips now, I really don't see why they deemed it completely unacceptable to air :-? Cheers for sharing that, since it's definitely more interesting than the version they gave us! Not here for that PS shade, though ;) Don't hold it against Brit that she's able to do a range of things with her lovely voice!
• I'd totally forgotten about all the "Overprotected" comparisons with "NO" - I think there was even a (pretty good) mash-up floating around? Like Ari's DW, I definitely give credit to Meghan for taking a risk and REALLY shaking up her sound (especially after only one album) - it just didn't have a ton of staying power for me.
• So is "I Feel It Coming" The Weeknd's biggest JakeP success ever? Not a bad pick, by any means! It's certainly my favorite of everything I've heard off Starboy.
• AWESOME to see "Touch" crack your Top 20! That one's (tragically) going to fall victim to the 2016-2017 cut-off for me :oops: Like I was saying over in your weekly chart thread, you really do have amazing hit-predicting-ears! Here we have another perfect example of those at work with "Touch" being the clear standout on your first play through Glory Days - and then it's announced as the official second single not long after! #clairvoyant
• ...Followed up by an immediate-favorite that we both share (so of course it's one that DIDN'T become a proper single :x :lol:) Definitely a perfect piece of pop, and I could imagine it getting a gorgeous video if it's ever deemed single-worthy (granted, after the MM situation, it could end up with a painfully bland one too.) Maybe it's better off as the "Your Love" of Glory.
• The best part of your TIWYCF write-up is definitely when you describe "We Found Love" as "so amazing" and "of course" superior to TIWYCF :wink: TIWYCF is totally enjoyable in its own right, and I'm pretty sure it's Calvin's biggest Paulboard success ever (as a lead.) I do blame this song a bit for eclipsing poor "Kiss It Better" (not that they sound similar at all, but I think pop radio, at least here, was only willing to spin so many Rihanna tracks at once, and went with this one instead.)
• Obviously amazing to see Mariah crack your Top 20...in one form or another. ;)
Yes indeed, but now Rachel Platten will most likely always be seen as a one hit wonder. :(

There have been numerous times over the years when an iTunes preview has led me astray. The worst examples are the long songs, so another one was Angel by the wings by Sia. You don't even get to the chorus bit on iTunes preview but thankfully it was on YouTube so i got to listen to the song there.

Ohh it seemed like most Britney stans were all over themselves with the whole mess. A lot of music videos are usually re-edited for daytime viewing. Even the video for Rockabye is heavily re-edited for daytime broadcast here in the UK. They remove most clips of the pole dancer and replace them with footage of Clean Bandit, Anne-Marie and Sean Paul. :lol:

Yes, I feel it coming is my favourite single yet from The Weeknd. I loved it when i first listened to the track and its held up really well in my chart which helped the song really well in my chart of 2016.

LOL at least Touch has had enough time to shine in my chart and it's not too surprising that Touch and I feel it coming are neck and neck as they both entered my chart the same week, and both battled for #1 but then Little Mix got the X factor final boost which edged them out in front.

Interesting thought re; Calvin Harris. He's had a few #1 singles in my chart but i think Blame is probably the song that was the most successful overall although This is what you came for would be a comfortable 2nd.

LOL i'm sure Mariah would be proud to know that her start to 2017 hasn't been a complete train wreck! :lol:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby Phoenixx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Love your #17 8-)
User avatar
Phoenixx
Purpose
 
Posts: 14190
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Phoenixx wrote:Love your #17 8-)
I knew you would. :D One of the better performing #1 singles from my chart.

My chart of 2016 is gonna have to go on hold as i doubt i'll have time tomorrow to complete this, and i'm back to work on Monday. So it'll just be finished whenever i find time in the evenings on log on. :wink:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:10 am

JakeP wrote:
Phoenixx wrote:Love your #17 8-)
I knew you would. :D One of the better performing #1 singles from my chart.
Yep. I can give you a tip if you follow my Year End Chart which you can find below: TIWYCF is in my Top-10 8-)

My chart of 2016 is gonna have to go on hold as i doubt i'll have time tomorrow to complete this, and i'm back to work on Monday. So it'll just be finished whenever i find time in the evenings on log on. :wink:
Just like me :D
User avatar
Phoenixx
Purpose
 
Posts: 14190
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:41 pm

"Versace on the Floor" is a fantastic ballad. It really shows off Bruno's chops as a vocalist. Also, it's so sexy that it's definitely appropriate for bedroom activities.

"Sound of Silence" is a masterclass in vocal excellence. Lyrically, it has some weak areas, but Dami storms through the chorus like a woman possessed. In a just world, this would have won the ESC.

"Make Me..." was a change of pace for Britney from releasing more dance-pop lead singles to something more R&B. Just like with "I'm a Slave 4 U", urban Britney is a lot for me to stomach, but it grew on me....and I obviously agree that the original video is much better than the watered down, spayed piece of crap we got.

"No" is more Destiny's Child than Britney Spears, but it was definitely a curveball. For 48 hours, it was my favourite song of 2016.

Aw, I'm honoured to have you borrow my "Rise" write-up. It's definitely not one of Katy's most popular songs, but, at this point, it's probably Top 5 in her discography for me. Whereas "Firework" is more a celebration of one's inner awesomeness, "Rise" is like the armour you put on before heading out to war.

"I Feel It Coming" was definitely a highlight from the Weeknd's latest album, but everyone else seems to like it more than I do. Perhaps I'll revisit it to better understand why.

I recently downloaded "Touch". It's not bad.

"Man on the Moon" was my Glory highlight initially, but it grew off of me rather quickly. I always liken it to being the unofficial sequel to "Oops!...I Did It Again". It's just seems like a natural progression for the girl who sang that big pop anthem 16 years ago to being doing something like "Man on the Moon" now. Lyrically, it's definitely one of the best songs on the album. So wistful.

In a club setting, "This Is What You Came For" is a total winner, but, as a standalone song, it's just solid for me. Then again, "We Found Love" is one of my least favourite lead singles from RiRI, so I've never been crazy about Calvin Harris.

JakeP wrote:Hello is one of the greatest ballads of all time. No need to think prematurely! :lol: :P It's already at classic status imo.
You're right. 8-)

JakeP wrote:Aww i love In my blood as i was so impressed that the girls returned with a song like this, especially after hearing the singles released from their last album. It seemed like quite a chance in direction but one i was happy to along with. This town is lovely, but i get the impression most UK Mixers are just not into slushy acoustic love songs about girls. Hmm, i wonder why? :lol: Well, i loved it anyways. :P
Acoustic music isn't generally well-received here, so it may have more to do with that than it being about a girl.

JakeP wrote:As for Ariana's Let me love you, she should've done a Taylor/Beyonce/Sia and got Kendrick Lamar involved. There's just something about Lil Wayne that really puts me off his "rap sing" or whatever it is he's supposed to be doing! :oops: Same reason why i struggle with Fetty Wap. Nasty voice when he does the whole "rap sing". :(
I'm usually at the front of the line to criticise Lil Wayne and his awfully deteriorated voice, but I think he does a good job, lyrically, on "Let Me Love You". Of course, she could have gone for the sexier route, and done something with Drake. I would've liked that. :oops:

JakeP wrote:When i charted Piece by piece i didn't specific any particular version because by that point i had listened to 4 different versions; the American idol performance the most, then the idol version, album version and single version which i'd say had about equal amounts of airplay. There was no way Kelly Clarkson wasn't gonna be my #1 that week! :lol:
I love it when a song has so many versions for you to get into!

JakeP wrote:Yes, Daft Punk did amazingly with their work on both Starboy and especially I feel it coming which is one of the emotional bops it makes you wanna dance but it makes you wanna cry. Crying on the dancefloor! :lol: :P
I could see myself doing that, tbh. :lol:

JakeP wrote:The tracks from Lemonade got played so much in those first two weeks, i overplayed it initially and then i gave myself a break from Lemonade in general so the songs never ended up sticking around long enough to make an even bigger impression on my year end chart. :(
Ah, I understand. My relationship with Lemonade was different. I really stuck to the few that made a grand first impression: "Daddy Lessons", "Hold Up", and "6 Inch". Over the course of the year, I got into the other songs. It was literally as late as December that "Freedom" and "Love Drought" finally clicked with me.

JakeP wrote:Apparently i have an excellent memory, but i call it a fountain of useless knowledge as this is the stuff i tend to remember most. :P
Same here. I know a million and one random facts, but ask me about something substantial, and I go all Jon Snow/Joey (from Friends) on you.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
User avatar
JSparksFan
Legend
 
Posts: 44619
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009
Location: Bahamas

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Phoenixx wrote:Yep. I can give you a tip if you follow my Year End Chart which you can find below: TIWYCF is in my Top-10 8-)
I think your year end top 10 and the order will be easier to work than mine! :P But that's great to see This is what you came for doing well in your chart for 2016.
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3150
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Return to Year End Personal Charts