JakeP Top 100 of 2016

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Versace on the Floor" is a fantastic ballad. It really shows off Bruno's chops as a vocalist. Also, it's so sexy that it's definitely appropriate for bedroom activities.

"Sound of Silence" is a masterclass in vocal excellence. Lyrically, it has some weak areas, but Dami storms through the chorus like a woman possessed. In a just world, this would have won the ESC.

"Make Me..." was a change of pace for Britney from releasing more dance-pop lead singles to something more R&B. Just like with "I'm a Slave 4 U", urban Britney is a lot for me to stomach, but it grew on me....and I obviously agree that the original video is much better than the watered down, spayed piece of crap we got.

"No" is more Destiny's Child than Britney Spears, but it was definitely a curveball. For 48 hours, it was my favourite song of 2016.

Aw, I'm honoured to have you borrow my "Rise" write-up. It's definitely not one of Katy's most popular songs, but, at this point, it's probably Top 5 in her discography for me. Whereas "Firework" is more a celebration of one's inner awesomeness, "Rise" is like the armour you put on before heading out to war.

"Man on the Moon" was my Glory highlight initially, but it grew off of me rather quickly. I always liken it to being the unofficial sequel to "Oops!...I Did It Again". It's just seems like a natural progression for the girl who sang that big pop anthem 16 years ago to being doing something like "Man on the Moon" now. Lyrically, it's definitely one of the best songs on the album. So wistful.

In a club setting, "This Is What You Came For" is a total winner, but, as a standalone song, it's just solid for me. Then again, "We Found Love" is one of my least favourite lead singles from RiRI, so I've never been crazy about Calvin Harris.
I notice that Bruno Mars has opted for That's what i like as the second single. It might grow on me but this era on the whole has underwhelmed me and even disappointed me to be honest. :(

LOL, i did think the whole "face time" lyric was a bit cringe at first but i soon let that wash over me. :lol:

I still think Make me... was more of a pop song just with an r&b influence. It sounded too commercial to be hailed an r&b song imo! :P

I know your commentary was Rise was on a personal level which i loved reading. It was more so the main points about the song itself that i agreed wholeheartedly with. Although i like a lot of Katy Perry singles. Roar was an instant #1 for me too when it was released and its still one of my fave singles from Katy. That's before i think of the singles taken from the first two albums.

I just loved the fact Britney did a track so unashamedly pop for Glory. So many pop acts are so into the latest sounds of the season, and the hippest producers around that i always love it when a pure pop gem is revealed.

This is what you came for is still a bop though. :P

JSparksFan wrote:Acoustic music isn't generally well-received here, so it may have more to do with that than it being about a girl.

I'm usually at the front of the line to criticise Lil Wayne and his awfully deteriorated voice, but I think he does a good job, lyrically, on "Let Me Love You". Of course, she could have gone for the sexier route, and done something with Drake. I would've liked that. :oops:

I love it when a song has so many versions for you to get into!

Ah, I understand. My relationship with Lemonade was different. I really stuck to the few that made a grand first impression: "Daddy Lessons", "Hold Up", and "6 Inch". Over the course of the year, I got into the other songs. It was literally as late as December that "Freedom" and "Love Drought" finally clicked with me.
Everyone has their own tastes but if i like the sound of a song, then that's good enough for me. The whole of Niall's album is likely to be acoustic but if the tracks are great with strong hooks then i'll be sold.

Yes, i gave Lil Wayne more of a chance thanks to Paul's persistence at the time because Let me love you didn't enter my chart right away after buying Dangerous woman. Enough listens got to #14 the following week but it still didn't win me over.

That's the reason why Little Mix Secret love song did incredibly well in my chart. I only bought Get weird around the time this was announced as a single and listening to both versions really helped keep the song high up for a number of weeks.

I stuck with Freedom, Daddy lessons and Hold up the most as they remained in my chart for a few weeks each. At least Freedom did managed to win you over as i think all the album tracks entered your chart at one point or another.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:19 pm

15. Ariana Grande - Into you

It's at #15 we find the highest entry in my chart of 2016 that didn't make it all the way to #1. It's Ariana Grande's bopalicious Into you, easily the best single she's done to date and is her most successful in my chart yet. Everyone has summed up the song in their own words, i just think it's such a shame this never took off in the same way Side to side did. Maybe this would've been more successful had it featured Nicki Minaj. Oh well, at least here on UK Mix it's proved to be a universal smash. :D

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:32 pm

14. Era Istrefi - Bonbon

At #14 we have Era Istrefi with her breakthrough single Bonbon which topped my chart in June. It might've taken me about 5 months to finally discover this gem, but when i did i loved it instantly. Even more impressive for a song with barely any english lyrics, i still thought this track was so quirky, sassy, fierce, fresh and fabulous. The music video is simple but incredibly effective. I'm not entirely shocked that this wasn't a big hit as it's not the most mainstream sounding song in my countdown! :P

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:42 pm

13. twenty one pilots - Stressed out

twenty one pilots had an incredible 2016 successfully getting three entries in my top 100 of 2016. Stressed out was quite easily their biggest hit in my chart going all the way to #1 in February.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:50 pm

12. Justin Timberlake - CAN’T STOP THE FEELING!

Finishing at #12 in my chart of 2016 it's Justin Timberlake who hit the #1 spot with CAN'T STOP THE FEELING! in May. As soon as i heard this for the first time, i loved it. It's such an amazing uplifting feel good song that just makes me smile. It was also by far one of my sounds of the summer, as i've posted elsewhere this sounded so good whilst driving in the sunshine. 8-) I was also happy to see this at #1 in the UK Mix parade of 2016 too. An excellent result for Justin Timberlake. :D

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:03 pm

11. Coldplay - Hymn for the weekend

After buying A head full of dreams in December 2015, one of the instant highlights was Hymn for the weekend. It got as high as #2 going into 2016, and finally topped my chart a fortnight later. Whilst Beyonce was uncredited, her vocals are an essential part of this song. I can't imagine the song now without Beyonce's gorgeous vocals that really lift the song.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Let's see if I can get this completed then! :lol:

Time to reveal my top 10 singles of 2016, starting with...

10. Hailee Steinfeld & Grey featuring Zedd - Starving

I'm likely to be in the minority who didn't think much of Love myself or Rock bottom, so when Starving started to make waves on Spotify and then became a hit in Australia i was intrigued. I checked the song out on YouTube and enjoyed the song, a lot more than i had anticipated. However, Starving became an earworm, i kept going back for more. I bought the track on iTunes so i could play it when out and about. I never expected to love a Hailee Steinfeld song this much after my lukewarm response to those first two singles. After climbing 15-06-02, Starving went to #1 in October. The success of Starving also provides Zedd with his highest of two entries after True colors (#68).

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 pm

09. Mike Posner - I took a pill in Ibiza (SeeB remix)

Taking us all the way back to the start of 2016 it's Mike Posner at #9 with I took a pill in Ibiza. I discovered this track when it started to become popular in europe towards the end of 2015. I checked out the SeeB remix on YouTube and loved it instantly. Mike scored my first #1 of 2016 this week a year ago and I took a pill in Ibiza (SeeB remix) had an incredible run clocking up 14 weeks in my top 20. What i loved even more was when the music video was released, the airplay for this track got a significant boost in the UK. When Mike Posner first topped the UK chart it was such a fantastic achievement considering he was pretty much cast aside as a one hit wonder 18 months ago.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:10 pm

08. Clean Bandit featuring Sean Paul & Anne-Marie - Rockabye

After the massive success of Tears (#18), it was in the UK Mix dance forum i first read about Clean Bandit releasing a new single with Sean Paul and Anne-Marie. My initial thought was along the lines of "oh no! :cry: ". I've never been a big Sean Paul fan, i can tolerate him to a certain extent but he's never been an artist i've wanted to listen to. Whilst Anne-Marie was still relatively new to me as i only knew Alarm which i liked, but didn't love. When Rockabye was released, i wanted to listen out of pure curiosity. Once again, it was a song i wasn't excited about that ended up having such a huge impact on me! Even Sean Paul couldn't ruin my enjoyment of this song, in fact i found his "rap singing" hilarious rather than cringe. :lol: The influence of 90s europop like Ace Of Base really appealed to me as well. Rather be remains Clean Bandit's most successful single in my chart but they did incredibly well in 2016 nonetheless. DAILY STRUGGLE! :P

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:30 pm

07. Little Mix featuring Jason Derulo - Secret love song

So i've already mentioned once or twice how much i love Little Mix! :P Dominating my personal chart in fine style, the girls get two singles inside my top 10 of 2016. :D After the mammoth success of Black magic (my #2 of 2015), and Love me like you (my #44 of 2015), the girls announced that the third single to be released from Get weird was going to be Secret love song. I fell in love with this song as soon as i heard it, and decided to buy Get weird off the back of Secret love song becoming a single. A combination of the acoustic version and the single version featuring a rather robotic sounding Jason Derulo (don't you just love autotune! :lol: ) helped to keep Little Mix at #1 for four weeks - the longest run at #1 out of all my 2016 chart toppers. Stunningly beautiful, each of the girls sound so fantastic on this glorious ballad especially Perrie whose vocals really shine in the chorus.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:55 pm

06. Little Mix - Shout out to my ex

Edging ever so slightly ahead of Secret love song in the final week of December, Little Mix's biggest hit of the year goes to Shout out to my ex. When i first read about new music from Little Mix, it was the song title that caught me off guard. Shout out to my ex?! What the hell was this gonna sound like? Then the lyrics leaked online and of course i read them out of pure curiosity. "i hope she's getting better sex, hope she ain't fakin' it like i did"!!! :lol: Note to Zayn, don't piss off your ex-girlfriend in an album track because she will seek revenge! :P I really didn't know what to think, but i had the idea of this new song being a mid tempo r&b/pop hybrid trying to be cool and edgy...and failing (looking at you Rihanna "work work work work work work" :oops: ). Little Mix premiered the song on X factor presumably because ratings were so poor Simon Cowell must've hoped by getting the girls to do an exclusive performance of their new single, the show would get 30 more people watching! :lol: Anyways, i finally heard Shout out to my ex for the first time and everything clicked on first listen. I was relieved that the song was unashamedly pop, with its big ballsy sing it loud and proud chorus. I thought it was extraordinary how Shout out to my ex managed to get to #1 on just 4 days of sales. Really impressive and it couldn't have been a more perfect way to kickstart the Glory days era.

COMING TOMORROW NIGHT MY TOP 5 SINGLES OF 2016 :D :P :wink:

(because i need my beauty sleep, getting up at 6am to get ready for work) :lol: :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:20 am

JakeP wrote:...and Rise! :lol:

One thing i hate is peer pressure and i can at least say i've managed to rise above that. So like at 18 because i was single, and still not out to everyone, if was always awkward when your elderly uncle asks "have you got a girlfriend yet?" and the best i could say is "no, i'm still looking". *sigh* I can only laugh to myself now at the thought of me saying "no, but check out that young waiter over there, i can tell he's got a nice tight ass!" and just wait for my uncle's response. :lol: Never happened though! :P

LOL! :lol: Even Shawn Mendes has a hot body which actually impressed me when i first saw pictures. I imagined his body would be more like mine, kept in good shape but lacking the definition. I take it you just like naked men regardless of what they look like? Not too fussy! :P :lol:

There have been numerous times over the years when an iTunes preview has led me astray. The worst examples are the long songs, so another one was Angel by the wings by Sia. You don't even get to the chorus bit on iTunes preview but thankfully it was on YouTube so i got to listen to the song there.

Ohh it seemed like most Britney stans were all over themselves with the whole mess. A lot of music videos are usually re-edited for daytime viewing. Even the video for Rockabye is heavily re-edited for daytime broadcast here in the UK. They remove most clips of the pole dancer and replace them with footage of Clean Bandit, Anne-Marie and Sean Paul. :lol:

Yes, I feel it coming is my favourite single yet from The Weeknd. I loved it when i first listened to the track and its held up really well in my chart which helped the song really well in my chart of 2016.

Interesting thought re; Calvin Harris. He's had a few #1 singles in my chart but i think Blame is probably the song that was the most successful overall although This is what you came for would be a comfortable 2nd.

LOL i'm sure Mariah would be proud to know that her start to 2017 hasn't been a complete train wreck! :lol:
Don't remind me! :x :lol:

Ah, yeah, I've always found opening up to friends about it so much easier than family - granted, I wouldn't typically turn to my family to discuss any deeply personal matters (not just sexuality.) The older/old-fashioned they get, the more awkward it can get. Is your uncle still with us? Does he know now? I'm sure any waiter (or any man, really) would be chuffed to bits to hear that from you, though...

OUCH! Is that a harsh commentary on Charlie's bod - as in, if I think he looks good shirtless, I must think just about ANY guy looks good shirtless? :lol: I do have a lot of admiration for a (well-maintained) male form, that's for sure, and I'd say both Shawn + Charlie fit the bill quite nicely! I think male beauty can come in a decent variety of shapes and sizes, though, not just the cliché "he must be at least 6 feet tall, 6-pack minimum (8-pack preferred), always tan, always waxed within an inch of his life..." ;)

You'd think highlighting the chorus would be the safest/most obvious way to go for...pretty much every song. Considering that iTunes previews are now 1min30, they should be able to fit at least one verse AND the chorus! Some tracks do have epic intros, no doubt, but sticking with the chorus is surely the simplest way to go when you're trying to give people a taste.

Ha, that's pretty strict! The dancers aren't even topless, are they? Glad that censorship didn't hinder your love for the track at all! ;)

That's some high praise indeed! "Can't Feel My Face" is pretty untouchable in my eyes/ears, but "I Feel It Coming" would certainly get the runner-up prize!

"Blame" is one of Calvin's offerings that never really caught my attention - I do have it in my iTunes Library, though, so I should re-visit it sometime! Apart from TIWYCF, his other biggest Paulboard hits have been "I Need Your Love", "We'll Be Coming Back", "Sweet Nothing", and "Outside" (a lot of Ellie, not too shockingly!) ;)

• "Into You" just might be the track with the best track record across all the UKMIX Year-End Countdowns, and I've got NO problem with that 8-) I would've loved if it could've swapped success stories with STS (or, even better - if they could've been equally big), but at least it managed a Top 20 peak in both the UK and US. Such a sexy, sensational stunner.
• Although I've yet to get hooked on a twenty one pilots single, their explosive success last year was definitely fascinating to behold: an act that had been around for 5+ years and never even cracked the Hot 100 Top 40 suddenly racked up three Top 5's within the space of a year! Kudos to them, for sure! #dreamsdocometrue
• Your description of CSTF is totally spot-on: such an uplifting, smile-inducing, feel-good jam! I really welcomed Justin's return to straightforward pop with open arms.
• Ah, I totally forgot that Beyoncé is actually uncredited on "Hymn For The Weekend", especially since so many reviews (appropriately) highlight her contribution to the track! I've never been a massive Coldplay fan, but this pairing (credited or not) worked out quite well indeed.
• You're definitely not alone in your assessment of Hailee, since "Starving" became her biggest hit by far...everywhere, I think? Speaking of, its explosion across official charts last fall was really exciting (and unexpected!) I might have more love for "Love Myself" and "Rock Bottom" than you, but we (and the world) clearly agree that "Starving" was her strongest offering to date! Really glad that you got into it, and really glad to see it inside your Top 10!
• "I Took A Pill..." is another example where an artist unexpectedly managed to out-do their previous high...except it took Mike a LOT longer than Hailee :lol: Although I do like "Cooler Than Me", and some of his forgotten offerings inbetween, this track is an especially deserving candidate to go down in history as his "signature song." Catchy, with a lot more depth/introspection than you'd expect in such a massive mainstream hit!
• Glad to see that "Rather Be" still takes the cake when it comes to your Clean Bandit faves, but "Rockabye" is certainly another interesting offering from them! It's been especially impressive to watch it hang onto that UK singles chart crown week after week after week (including the coveted Christmas No. 1!)
• If memory serves, I'm pretty sure "Secret Love Song" was No. 1 the first time I ever checked out your weekly chart, and I think seeing it on top was a big part of why I decided to comment! It's a truly gorgeous track, and the LGBT hidden-romance-undertones just give us all the more to appreciate about it.
• Ha, I remember there being some uncertainty about those leaked lyrics around UKMIX due to their explicit nature - but they proved to be true, and SOTME proved to be an epic power-pop anthem! Like you said, it was such a perfect way to kick off the Glory era, and even after hearing the album in full, it still truly stands apart.

REALLY strong start to your Top 10 so far, Jake! My feelings for "Rockabye" might only be lukewarm, but I truly love everything else! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:52 pm

JakeP wrote:Oh lol, i meant when will others faves, not Kerli. Should've rephrased that better! :oops: :lol: But i think the popularity already of Spirit animal is very promising going forward. When does Estonia choose its representative? Aww i think thats a good decision as like i said an ep is like a miniature album to an extent. Plus, if Kerli does release an album and it just happens to include songs from the Deepest roots ep, then you could still chart both regardless. :P Although i don't think Kerli is the type of artist who would rip off her fans like that so i doubt it will happen. :D
I know, don't worry :lol: :P :oops: Yes, definitely. I hope this is a good sign for the upcoming estonian pre-selection. She's part of the 2nd Semi-Final, which will take place on the 18th february. The final will be on the 4th march. I think (or hope) it's safe that she'll be in the final, so it still takes some time until we know if she represents her country or not.
If the song will be on the album as well, the EP most likely will leave the charts afterwards. Something similar already happened with LP and the "Death Valley" EP which left the charts when the album "Lost On You" came out. The EP is more like a gift for the fans, so it's okay if these things will be on the album as well :)

JakeP wrote:Ahh as for Hello it was in the process of dropping down my chart going into 2016 when Adele was at #4 in my first chart of the year. Even though Hello remained inside my top 20 until March, it was low down the top 20 for most of those weeks so wasn't really picking up a lot of points during that run. Still, i regard Hello as a 2015 songs anyways so the song smashed it in my chart of 2015. :D
Ah okay. Well it probably also makes sense to let newer songs shine as well, and it still did very well on your countdown.

33. Lukas Graham - 7 years
32. Little Mix featuring Charlie Puth - Oops
31. Bruno Mars - Versace on the floor
Three nice songs. Hopefully "Versace" and "Oops" will be singles in the futures, as both are highlights on their albums.

30. Dami Im - Sound of silence
29. Imany - Don’t be so shy (Filatov & Karas remix)
28. Matt Simons - Catch & release (Deepend remix)
27. Rachel Platten - Stand by you
26. Ellie Goulding - Still falling for you
25. Britney Spears featuring G-Eazy - Make me…
24. Meghan Trainor - NO
21. The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk - I feel it coming
Dami's song is great! A deserved success on your countdown. I thought she may be a bit higher in the end, but #30 is obviously still fantastic. Imany's track was huge over here, glad you like it that much. Also nice to see the underrated Rachel Platten making your Top30, and "I Feel It Coming" already being at #21 :D

20. Little Mix - Touch
19. Britney Spears - Man on the moon
Wow, didn't expect to see "Hymn For The Weekend" nearly making your Top10, but that's awesome! One of their best songs ever for me 8-) Same with "Into You", pop at its best, brilliant tune!

Good first half of your Top10. I already completely forgot about "Secret Love Song" to be honest :oops: But now that i saw it again i'm not surprised it's so high for them. "Rockaybe" already in your Top10 is impressive, but well deserved. Also love "I Took A Pill In Ibiza", which is my favorite song of that batch. "Starving" grew a lot on me and i also have to thank you for that. Though i thought it would be in the Top5 for sure :o
Tansike
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:42 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Don't remind me! :x :lol:
:P :lol: :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, yeah, I've always found opening up to friends about it so much easier than family - granted, I wouldn't typically turn to my family to discuss any deeply personal matters (not just sexuality.) The older/old-fashioned they get, the more awkward it can get. Is your uncle still with us? Does he know now? I'm sure any waiter (or any man, really) would be chuffed to bits to hear that from you, though...
Actually i've always had a good relationship with my mum so she's always been a great help. My aunty has always been there for me too. As for my uncle, i rarely saw him anyways only at family events (wedding, christening, first holy communion, etc) but i never told him direct, but i'm sure my aunty must've told him. He died in 2012 and even though he weren't close i still felt upset but i know more of that was because of my aunty. :( LOL, well if i went up a cute straight guy and said "you're so gorgeous" i don't know how that would go down. :lol: Depends on the boy, some might just laugh nervously whilst others might get really defensive and start shouting and making a fist. Of course whenever guys do the latter, they're revealing a lot more about themselves than they realise. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:OUCH! Is that a harsh commentary on Charlie's bod - as in, if I think he looks good shirtless, I must think just about ANY guy looks good shirtless? :lol: I do have a lot of admiration for a (well-maintained) male form, that's for sure, and I'd say both Shawn + Charlie fit the bill quite nicely! I think male beauty can come in a decent variety of shapes and sizes, though, not just the cliché "he must be at least 6 feet tall, 6-pack minimum (8-pack preferred), always tan, always waxed within an inch of his life..." ;)
Ohh no, i was joking! :oops: Charlie is cute but i dunno, i don't find him "sexy" similarly like Shawn. LOL male beauty in different shapes and sizes, eh? Yes, i know what you mean! :lol: :wink: Ohh i've never been one for the tanned look. I find guys who wear fake tan really off putting for some reason. If boys have pasty pale skin, they should just embrace it. Some guys can go overboard, i remember seeing a girl who had gone way ott with the fake tan to the point she looked orange. It's just wrong! :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:You'd think highlighting the chorus would be the safest/most obvious way to go for...pretty much every song. Considering that iTunes previews are now 1min30, they should be able to fit at least one verse AND the chorus! Some tracks do have epic intros, no doubt, but sticking with the chorus is surely the simplest way to go when you're trying to give people a taste.
LOL funny you mention that as the iTunes preview for Still falling for you did start from the first chorus, but because it didn't lead me to that moment in the song, it just seemed jarring the way the chorus starts when isolated. That's why i like to hear songs in full so i can really get into the song and then if i'm impressed i can buy the track on iTunes.

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, that's pretty strict! The dancers aren't even topless, are they? Glad that censorship didn't hinder your love for the track at all! ;)
LOL well i watch music videos more on YouTube anyways. Like i say, music channels are great in the morning whilst i'm eating my breakfast just to have some music on in the background. It beats putting the radio on and hearing the dj loving the sound of their voice and refusing to shut up and play a song. :lol: :x

phoenix98 wrote:That's some high praise indeed! "Can't Feel My Face" is pretty untouchable in my eyes/ears, but "I Feel It Coming" would certainly get the runner-up prize!
I'd say Can't feel my face and Starboy are about on par with each other but I feel it coming had had such an incredible impact on me.

phoenix98 wrote:"Blame" is one of Calvin's offerings that never really caught my attention - I do have it in my iTunes Library, though, so I should re-visit it sometime! Apart from TIWYCF, his other biggest Paulboard hits have been "I Need Your Love", "We'll Be Coming Back", "Sweet Nothing", and "Outside" (a lot of Ellie, not too shockingly!) ;)
Ahh ok, i wasn't doing a chart when I need you love was out but i loved that song so that would've been a #1 for sure if i'd done a chart. I really liked Outside that got to #4 in my chart.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Into You" just might be the track with the best track record across all the UKMIX Year-End Countdowns, and I've got NO problem with that 8-) I would've loved if it could've swapped success stories with STS (or, even better - if they could've been equally big), but at least it managed a Top 20 peak in both the UK and US. Such a sexy, sensational stunner.
• Although I've yet to get hooked on a twenty one pilots single, their explosive success last year was definitely fascinating to behold: an act that had been around for 5+ years and never even cracked the Hot 100 Top 40 suddenly racked up three Top 5's within the space of a year! Kudos to them, for sure! #dreamsdocometrue
• Your description of CSTF is totally spot-on: such an uplifting, smile-inducing, feel-good jam! I really welcomed Justin's return to straightforward pop with open arms.
• Ah, I totally forgot that Beyoncé is actually uncredited on "Hymn For The Weekend", especially since so many reviews (appropriately) highlight her contribution to the track! I've never been a massive Coldplay fan, but this pairing (credited or not) worked out quite well indeed.
• You're definitely not alone in your assessment of Hailee, since "Starving" became her biggest hit by far...everywhere, I think? Speaking of, its explosion across official charts last fall was really exciting (and unexpected!) I might have more love for "Love Myself" and "Rock Bottom" than you, but we (and the world) clearly agree that "Starving" was her strongest offering to date! Really glad that you got into it, and really glad to see it inside your Top 10!
• "I Took A Pill..." is another example where an artist unexpectedly managed to out-do their previous high...except it took Mike a LOT longer than Hailee :lol: Although I do like "Cooler Than Me", and some of his forgotten offerings inbetween, this track is an especially deserving candidate to go down in history as his "signature song." Catchy, with a lot more depth/introspection than you'd expect in such a massive mainstream hit!
• Glad to see that "Rather Be" still takes the cake when it comes to your Clean Bandit faves, but "Rockabye" is certainly another interesting offering from them! It's been especially impressive to watch it hang onto that UK singles chart crown week after week after week (including the coveted Christmas No. 1!)
• If memory serves, I'm pretty sure "Secret Love Song" was No. 1 the first time I ever checked out your weekly chart, and I think seeing it on top was a big part of why I decided to comment! It's a truly gorgeous track, and the LGBT hidden-romance-undertones just give us all the more to appreciate about it.
• Ha, I remember there being some uncertainty about those leaked lyrics around UKMIX due to their explicit nature - but they proved to be true, and SOTME proved to be an epic power-pop anthem! Like you said, it was such a perfect way to kick off the Glory era, and even after hearing the album in full, it still truly stands apart.

REALLY strong start to your Top 10 so far, Jake! My feelings for "Rockabye" might only be lukewarm, but I truly love everything else! :D
Into you is sensational, if more than likely would've been a #1 hit for me had it not been for Justin Timberlake releasing the same week. The way the UK charts were stagnant in 2016, i even thought getting to #40 was an achievement so getting top 20 was even moreso. :P

I wonder what it was that propelled twenty one pilots. Maybe their success impacted other people the same as me, so i wasn't that familiar with them but i'm sure i'd heard of them at some point. Stressed out became such a massive hit in America, that made people like me curious so having watched the music video really enjoyed the song and maybe even though the video was cute (i love the way they're acting like two 10 year old boys in the video :lol: ), and maybe that was all that was needed to get people taking more notice of them.

Yes, i totally welcome more pure pop from Justin Timberlake. Although i wouldn't mind another Sexyback or Rock your body, i loved those two songs so much.

I wonder why Beyonce wasn't credited because i'm sure people were already starting rumours before the album release, so some people out there knew about it. Maybe it was at the request of Beyonce herself.

LOL yes, Starving was definitely Hailee's biggest hit in the UK. Maybe my tastes in music are inadvertently representing the music the people in general are getting into. Imagine that... :lol:

I was gonna mention the lyrics in my commentary for Mike Posner but couldn't get the words right without it starting to look like an essay! :lol: So i scrapped that idea but i agree so much, the lyrical element definitely made I took a pill in Ibiza stand out so much.

Rather be would rank high in my all time favourite songs list, and whilst i love Rockabye i know there are many songs over a number of years that would be ranked higher. Rockabye has done incredibly well "in 2016". :wink:

Ohh maybe that is true, i never even picked up on that. But how amazing is Secret love song? I always say if a song spends 4+ weeks at #1 in my chart then you know just how much i love that song. :D

Haha yes, i refused to believe those lyrics when they first ranked but they were correct and it paved the way for a Little Mix pop masterpiece. :P Still, not quite up there with Black magic which i'd say is my absolute favourite single the girls have done.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03 pm

Tansike wrote:I know, don't worry :lol: :P :oops: Yes, definitely. I hope this is a good sign for the upcoming estonian pre-selection. She's part of the 2nd Semi-Final, which will take place on the 18th february. The final will be on the 4th march. I think (or hope) it's safe that she'll be in the final, so it still takes some time until we know if she represents her country or not.
If the song will be on the album as well, the EP most likely will leave the charts afterwards. Something similar already happened with LP and the "Death Valley" EP which left the charts when the album "Lost On You" came out. The EP is more like a gift for the fans, so it's okay if these things will be on the album as well :)
Is that normal to have such a gap between semi final and final? I would've thought the final would be a couple of days after the semi finals, so similar to the Eurovision song contest. Ahh, i don't really follow the album charts as closely. :oops: Did LP enter your album chart with Death valley ep?

Tansike wrote:Ah okay. Well it probably also makes sense to let newer songs shine as well, and it still did very well on your countdown.
Yes! :lol: I always like to give the newest songs a chance to do well on my chart. I can't imagine how my chart would look if i was really strict so for e.g. said i would only allow songs into my chart once they've made the top 40 in the UK. LP would still be waiting to enter my chart with Lost on you! :lol: So thankfully i don't restrict my chart that much. :D

Tansike wrote:Three nice songs. Hopefully "Versace" and "Oops" will be singles in the futures, as both are highlights on their albums.
I'm even more disappointed with this era for Bruno Mars. I decided to check out That's what i like on YouTube but it does nothing for me. :( I wanna hear Bruno singing, not doing this rap sing thing. :-? Oops is more likely to be a single as the team behind Little Mix are getting everyone spot on imo and that's why the girls are enjoying so much success. :D

Tansike wrote:Dami's song is great! A deserved success on your countdown. I thought she may be a bit higher in the end, but #30 is obviously still fantastic. Imany's track was huge over here, glad you like it that much. Also nice to see the underrated Rachel Platten making your Top30, and "I Feel It Coming" already being at #21 :D
Dami did incredibly well and it's the highest a eurovision song has finished in my year end chart. Måns Zelmerlöw got to #57 in my chart of 2015 whilst The Common Linnets got to #75 in 2014. It only spent 4 weeks inside my chart which is why it didn't feature higher. Rachel Platten had an amazing run with Stand by you so its no surprise for me that it's ended inside my top 30 of 2016. I feel it coming just dominated in its short run on my chart - six weeks inside the top 3 is an exceptional result.

Tansike wrote:Wow, didn't expect to see "Hymn For The Weekend" nearly making your Top10, but that's awesome! One of their best songs ever for me 8-) Same with "Into You", pop at its best, brilliant tune!
Oh yes! :D Hymn for the weekend was just starting to take off at the end of 2015 and finished at #79 in my chart of 2015 after just two weeks. The track definitely peaked when it reached #1 in my chart. It really does seem like everyone loves Into you which must make it all the more disappointing that this song failed to become the mega hit it deserved to become.

Tansike wrote:Good first half of your Top10. I already completely forgot about "Secret Love Song" to be honest :oops: But now that i saw it again i'm not surprised it's so high for them. "Rockaybe" already in your Top10 is impressive, but well deserved. Also love "I Took A Pill In Ibiza", which is my favorite song of that batch. "Starving" grew a lot on me and i also have to thank you for that. Though i thought it would be in the Top5 for sure :o
Really? :lol: Secret love song was easily my favourite song at the start of 2016 when it spent four weeks at #1, the only single to spent that long at #1. I adore the message behind the song, the whole idea of being in a secret relationship because you don't want certain people to know you're gay, so it really is an lgbt anthem in that respect. Rockabye was another song that had an exceptional run in my chart, it spent ten weeks inside my top 10 which is an incredible achievement. Some of my #1 singles over the years have spend 10 weeks or less in my top 20. So if a #1 goes on to have a great chart run, this will always be reflected in my year end chart. :wink: Mike Posner really delivered a brilliant track and all thanks to SeeB for transforming the song into a dance anthem for 2016. Ahh yes, i learnt that you actually knew Starving before i discovered the song, but it did grow on you a lot thanks to the song becoming a successful hit in the end which i'm still so happy about. :D It does seem surprising doesn't it, but the more recent #1s from Little Mix and Clean Bandit had much better chart runs and staying power within the top 10 which helped their singles appear higher in the overall chart. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:21 pm

05. MØ - Final song

Denmark is famous for its bacon, Peter Schmeichel, Whigfield, Aqua, Lukas Graham and now we can also add MØ to that list. It's incredible how MØ's feature in the world dominating Lean on made her such a prolific artist in 2015. As i wrote in my commentary for Cold water, it was MØ who i was more interested in prior to its release. I love the fact that MØ did, in some way, finally get that #1 single in the UK. Just a shame it couldn't have been with either Lean on, or my #5 single of 2016 Final song. Thanks to the stagnation of the UK charts, Final song was a slow burning top 20 hit in the end, even though i remember the song going top 10 on iTunes, but Spotify was going against the song. :( All this aside, Final song became one of my songs of the summer entering at #16 based on two days of airplay. No doubt a full week would've resulted in a much higher chart entry, but i was transfixed by this track i kept going back for more, and more. Final song fought its way up my chart before finally reaching #1 in its fifth week on the chart.

(let's pretend Drum never happened) :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:33 pm

04. Alan Walker - Faded

It's very rare for me to describe a dance track as lush, sublime, gorgeous, stunning, beautiful. These are words i would use to describe a wonderful heartfelt ballad. Alan Walker achieved just that with his mega smash breakthrough single Faded which got to #1 in my chart in February, and finishes at #4 in my chart of 2016. What an incredible debut single, this song took the whole of europe by storm but credit must also go to Iselin Solheim whose vocals enhanced the whole song so significantly. Whilst Alan Walker has stuck to the same tried and tested formula for his last two singles as well, it's Faded that will always stand out for being so unique and unlike anything else in the charts. One mightily successful single, but also one that was extremely deserving of its success.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:52 pm

03. Sia featuring Kendrick Lamar - The greatest

Take note record labels, this is how you release a new single to sheer perfection. When Sia first teased The greatest, it was literally the first 2 seconds. That was it! I couldn't begin to imagine what the song was gonna sound like based on such a short snippet. Then the single and music video were released together on the same day. I remember coming home from work and seeing that Sia had decided to release her new single early on in the week, instead of a Friday. I watched the music video on YouTube and on first listen everything was incredible. I went on iTunes and bought the single featuring Kendrick Lamar. I loved both versions and so The greatest quite comfortably smashed in at #1 that weekend. It was also such a beautiful and creative way of paying tribute to the 49 victims of the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting. For me, this is the best music video of 2016. :D

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:37 pm

...and so that just leaves two songs in the running.

LP - Lost on you or Kungs Vs Cookin' On 3 Burners - This girl. One of these is my overall #1 of 2016.

Let's find out how this countdown concludes... :D

...and at #2 it is...

02. Kungs vs Cookin’ On 3 Burners - This girl

Finishing in second place, its Kungs Vs Cookin' On 3 Burners with the bopalicious This girl. I first discovered this track when it was #1 on iTunes in France so out of interest gave it a listen on YouTube. On first play i fell in love with the song, it didn't need to grow on me. This was as instant as it gets. So much so i even started its own THREAD in the dance forum, it just so happened that the music video had been released that same day. What a co-incidence! :P I successfully entered This girl into the FSC to bring the track to more people's attention and i was so happy when France came 3rd. :D I knew This girl sounded like a hit instantly, and when it did start blowing up all around the world i was super excited! :lol: My only disappointment was seeing This girl stall at #2 behind Drake's One dance in the UK charts. However, it remains one of the most joyous uplifting feel good anthems of 2016 and i'm so happy this became the mega hit i thought it could be when i first heard it.

Last edited by JakeP on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 pm

Which of course means............... :D :D :D

01. LP - Lost on you

Following in the footsteps of Rather be (2014) and Hello (2015) joining them in the JakeP hall of fame as my #1 single of 2016 it's LP with her outstanding breakthrough single Lost on you. As someone who is always checking out new music, i tend to look at iTunes charts from other countries to see what songs are taking off there - usually because they tend to become popular in the UK months later (see This girl at #2). In the case of Lost on you, i discovered this song at #1 on Greece iTunes chart and so i checked it out on YouTube and really liked it. That's "really liked it". I didn't love it immediately. :wink: Just like others, i had wondered whether Gwen Stefani had some involvement in this song purely down to how similar LP sounds. But no, this was all LP and much to her credit, i found myself going back and listening again and again, and each time the track grew on me a little more. In the end i bought Lost on you on iTunes even though here in the UK this still hasn't taken off and become a hit. GRR!!! :x LP entered my chart at #11 and then along came the music video which started appearing in my YouTube recommends section, so naturally i wanted to watch it. What a gorgeous video, and i loved the twist near the song. :P It helped emphasise the song even more, and also helped boost the track up my chart. LP finally hit #1 two weeks later and had an incredible run spending 17 weeks in my top 20 - the longest running single in my chart in 2016, beating the 16 weeks This girl spent in my chart. Since then, i've introduced Lost on you to several other UK Mixers and i've also noticed LP doing well in other personal charts too over the last few months which has been amazing to see.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to my countdown, i've ended up rushing the top 10 as i had hoped to complete this at the weekend but then family put a spanner in the works! :lol: Hope you've enjoyed it, and loved many of these songs like i have.

Here's to 2017 and another year of incredible music. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:05 am

"Into You" narrowly edges out "Best Mistake" as my favourite Ari single too! "Can't Stop the Feeling!" is a great anthem, and one of JT's finest singles to date.

"Hymn for the Weekend" is so well-written, but I agree that it's Beyoncé who elevates it to an ethereal level.

I have more of an appreciation for "I Took a Pill in Ibiza" now than six weeks ago, but the only Mike Posner song I really like is "Be as You Are".

"Rockabye" is so good, I had to kick a song out of my countdown just to make space for it when I discovered it midway through my countdown. :lol: For me, Sean Paul is hit or miss; he has had "Temperature" and "Got 2 Luv U" that have really made a big impact with me, but he has some dire singles to his name, too. "Rockabye" is probably the best song he's attached his name to, and the music video is fantastic. For me, it's a very powerful song, as I really relate, as a beneficiary of a mother's unparalleled love, to the song's lyrics.

I feel like I'm in the minority of folks who weren't able to get into Little Mix this era. I haven't heard anything from them in a while that's really wowed me.

"Faded" is good!

"The Greatest" though! :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't think she'll ever top "Titanium" for me, and even "Chandelier" is a song I'd rank ahead any of her solo work, but "The Greatest" has a hook that doesn't even belong to this world; it is so supernaturally uplifting, empowering, all-encompassing. It is a phenomenal song, with a terrific video.

First Adam, and now you! I just checked out your #1, and it's instant love. I was reading your write-up whilst listening to it, and when you made the Gwen Stefani comparison, I pictured a young Gwen Stefani singing this; the voice sounds just like her, and the song's just the kind of ballad she'd go for.

So thanks for ending your countdown with a bang, Jake! Overall, It was one of the greatest countdowns in recent years. 8-)
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Into You" narrowly edges out "Best Mistake" as my favourite Ari single too! "Can't Stop the Feeling!" is a great anthem, and one of JT's finest singles to date.

"Hymn for the Weekend" is so well-written, but I agree that it's Beyoncé who elevates it to an ethereal level.

I have more of an appreciation for "I Took a Pill in Ibiza" now than six weeks ago, but the only Mike Posner song I really like is "Be as You Are".

"Rockabye" is so good, I had to kick a song out of my countdown just to make space for it when I discovered it midway through my countdown. :lol: For me, Sean Paul is hit or miss; he has had "Temperature" and "Got 2 Luv U" that have really made a big impact with me, but he has some dire singles to his name, too. "Rockabye" is probably the best song he's attached his name to, and the music video is fantastic. For me, it's a very powerful song, as I really relate, as a beneficiary of a mother's unparalleled love, to the song's lyrics.

I feel like I'm in the minority of folks who weren't able to get into Little Mix this era. I haven't heard anything from them in a while that's really wowed me.

"Faded" is good!

"The Greatest" though! :cry: :cry: :cry: I don't think she'll ever top "Titanium" for me, and even "Chandelier" is a song I'd rank ahead any of her solo work, but "The Greatest" has a hook that doesn't even belong to this world; it is so supernaturally uplifting, empowering, all-encompassing. It is a phenomenal song, with a terrific video.

First Adam, and now you! I just checked out your #1, and it's instant love. I was reading your write-up whilst listening to it, and when you made the Gwen Stefani comparison, I pictured a young Gwen Stefani singing this; the voice sounds just like her, and the song's just the kind of ballad she'd go for.

So thanks for ending your countdown with a bang, Jake! Overall, It was one of the greatest countdowns in recent years. 8-)
Thanks for all your comments Akini in this thread. I feel like i can properly reply to them now i've got more time on my hands and not just posting quickly before i go to bed. :lol:

I only really became a fan of Ariana Grande when Problem became a big hit, i'd heard of Ariana before that but only from the kids show Victorious. So i don't know if i've heard Best mistake, will give it a listen on YouTube. :wink: I agree so much about Can't stop the feeling, i love the fact Justin did an unashamed pop song as it was a refreshing change. Had it sounded like trop-pop it might not have had the same impact on me. :lol:

Chris Martin is a master of songwriting. When i think back over the years there have been so many Coldplay songs that i thought were outstanding. I'd say my overall favourite Coldplay song is Fix you purely for the emotional impact that song has on me. I would struggle to list my top 10 favourite Coldplay songs because i love so many of them. :lol:

Six weeks? What's happened in these six weeks to allow I took a pill in Ibiza to grow on you? I'm guessing you've heard it out and about over christmas and new year? :D I'm still not fully into Be as you are, especially the remix. It just lacked the sparkle that i got from SeeB's remix of I took a pill in Ibiza when i first heard that song.

So a song got removed from the higher end of your chart of 2016 to make way for Rockabye? :o How unfortunate is that? :lol: It has been one of those songs that just worked on every level. Great song, great music video, great longevity. And yes, even Sean Paul couldn't ruin my enjoyment of the song.

Aww, what is your favourite Little Mix song?

Faded is "only" good? :P I consider it as one of the best songs of the year, and a well deserved #4 overall for 2016.

Well, Titanium was the song that brought Sia to my attention. But Chandelier was almighty beast of a pop song, and was my #2 single of 2014. Now that is such an amazing song, guarantees to give me goosebumps Sia's vocal delivery is so incredible. The greatest wouldn't be that far behind anyways.

Who is Adam? :oops:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Here's a final look at my top 100 of 2016 without all the fancy layout. :P

01. LP - Lost on you
02. Kungs Vs Cookin' On 3 Burners This girl
03. Sia featuring Kendrick Lamar - The greatest
04. Alan Walker - Faded
05. MØ - Final song
12. Justin Timberlake - CAN'T STOP THE FEELING!
14. Era Istrefi - Bonbon
16. Sigala featuring Imani & DJ Fresh - Say you do
17. Calvin Harris featuring Rihanna - This is what you came for
18. Clean Bandit featuring Louisa Johnson - Tears
19. Britney Spears - Man on the moon
20. Little Mix - Touch
21. The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk - I feel it coming
22. Katy Perry - Rise
23. Matoma & Becky Hill - False alarm
24. Meghan Trainor - NO
25. Britney Spears featuring G-Eazy - Make me…
26. Ellie Goulding - Still falling for you
27. Rachel Platten - Stand by you
28. Matt Simons - Catch & release (Deepend remix)
29. Imany - Don't be so shy (Filatov & Karas remix)
30. Dami Im - Sound of silence
31. Bruno Mars - Versace on the floor
32. Little Mix featuring Charlie Puth - Oops
33. Lukas Graham - 7 years
34. Disturbed - The sound of silence
35. Jonas Blue featuring JP Cooper - Perfect strangers
36. Ariana Grande - Be alright
37. The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk - Starboy
38. Beyonce featuring Kendrick Lamar - Freedom
39. Britney Spears - Do you wanna come over?
40. Kelly Clarkson - Piece by piece
41. DJ Snake featuring Justin Bieber - Let me love you
42. Niall Horan - This town
43. Ariana Grande featuring Nicki Minaj - Side to side
44. Who Is Fancy featuring Meghan Trainor & Ariana Grande - Boys like you
45. Martin Garrix & Bebe Rexha - In the name of love
46. The Veronicas - In my blood
47. Adele - Hello
48. Starley - Call on me (Ryan Riback remix)
49. Sia - Never give up
50. Beyonce - Daddy lessons
51. James Arthur - Say you won't let go
52. Ariana Grande - Moonlight
53. Galantis - No money
54. The Parakit featuring Alden Jacob - Save me
55. Charlie Puth featuring Selena Gomez - We don't talk anymore
56. Sigala featuring John Newman & Nile Rodgers - Give me your love
57. Lady Gaga - Million reasons
58. Astrid S - Hurts so good
59. twenty one pilots - Ride
60. Beyonce - Hold up
61. Florence + The Machine - Too much is never enough
62. NEIKID featuring Dyo - Sexual
63. Rag'n'Bone Man - Human
64. Gwen Stefani - Make me like you
65. Major Lazer featuring Justin Bieber & MØ - Cold Water
66. Kygo featuring Kodaline - Raging
67. Flume featuring Kai - Never be like you
68. Zedd & Ke$ha - True colors
69. Frenship & Emily Warren - Capsize
70. Ellie Goulding - Here's to us
71. Little Mix - Your love
72. Emeli Sandé - Hurts
73. Drake featuring Rihanna - Too good
74. Céline Dion - Recovering
75. Little Mix - Nothing else matters
76. Fergie - M.I.L.F. $
77. Kings Of Leon - Waste a moment
78. Kerli - Feral hearts
79. twenty one pilots - Heathens
80. Dua Lipa - Hotter than hell
81. Will Young - Amy
82. Shakira featuring Maluma - Chantaje
83. Sergey Lazarev - You are the only one
84. Florence Welch - When in disguise with fortune and men’s eyes (sonnet 29)
85. The Chainsmokers featuring ROZES - Roses
86. Rihanna - Sledgehammer
87. DNCE - Cake by the ocean
88. Ariana Grande - Dangerous woman
89. Galantis & Hook N Sling - Love on me
90. David Bowie - Blackstar
91. Ellie Goulding - Something in the way you move
92. The Veronicas - On your side
93. Drake featuring Wizkid & Kyla - One Dance
94. Prince & The Revolution - Purple rain
95. Stereoact featuring Kerstin Ott - Die immer lacht
96. Britney Spears - Just luv me
97. OneRepublic - Kids
98. Lukas Graham - You're not there
99. George Michael - Careless whisper
100. Sia - Angel by the wings
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:44 am

JakeP wrote:I only really became a fan of Ariana Grande when Problem became a big hit, i'd heard of Ariana before that but only from the kids show Victorious. So i don't know if i've heard Best mistake, will give it a listen on YouTube. :wink: I agree so much about Can't stop the feeling, i love the fact Justin did an unashamed pop song as it was a refreshing change. Had it sounded like trop-pop it might not have had the same impact on me. :lol:
"Best Mistake" is on the same album as "Problem", so maybe you heard it and forgot it.

JakeP wrote:Chris Martin is a master of songwriting. When i think back over the years there have been so many Coldplay songs that i thought were outstanding. I'd say my overall favourite Coldplay song is Fix you purely for the emotional impact that song has on me. I would struggle to list my top 10 favourite Coldplay songs because i love so many of them. :lol:
Have you ever seen Glee? The Glee Cast did a phenomenal cover of "Fix You", so much so that I actually prefer their interpretation to Coldplay's. For me, it was the emotional gravity of the scenes with which they paired the song that really struck me right in the feels.

I am not as big a Coldplay fan, so to list my Top 10 from them wouldn't be such a tough task. Lemme see:

01. Viva la Vida
02. Hymn for the Weekend
03. Princess of China
04. Adventure of a Lifetime
05. Fix You
06. Clocks
07. Christmas Lights
08. The Scientist (the Glee Cast also did a mightily impressive cover of this one)
09. Paradise
10. Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall

JakeP wrote:Six weeks? What's happened in these six weeks to allow I took a pill in Ibiza to grow on you? I'm guessing you've heard it out and about over christmas and new year? :D I'm still not fully into Be as you are, especially the remix. It just lacked the sparkle that i got from SeeB's remix of I took a pill in Ibiza when i first heard that song.
There were two comments posted in my year-end countdown that spoke to the quality of the lyrics, which made me revisit the song.

JakeP wrote:So a song got removed from the higher end of your chart of 2016 to make way for Rockabye? :o How unfortunate is that? :lol: It has been one of those songs that just worked on every level. Great song, great music video, great longevity. And yes, even Sean Paul couldn't ruin my enjoyment of the song.
Yep! Ruthless, aren't I? :lol:

JakeP wrote:Aww, what is your favourite Little Mix song?
"Wings". 8-)

JakeP wrote:Faded is "only" good? :P I consider it as one of the best songs of the year, and a well deserved #4 overall for 2016.
For me, yes. :oops:

JakeP wrote:Well, Titanium was the song that brought Sia to my attention. But Chandelier was almighty beast of a pop song, and was my #2 single of 2014. Now that is such an amazing song, guarantees to give me goosebumps Sia's vocal delivery is so incredible. The greatest wouldn't be that far behind anyways.
Interesting. "Chandelier" was also my 2014 year-end #2, behind "Drunk in Love".

JakeP wrote:Who is Adam? :oops:
king_oxymoron.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Hiya :lol:

I am not that enamoured with your top 5, sorry, but LOADS I love throughout the top 30... Into You, obv. So good to see that acoustic version of Touch... Leigh-Anne's voice, man, and some less obvious hits like Say You Do and False Alarm alongside the big ones like Tears and Rockabye. Good selection, Jake!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Return to Year End Personal Charts