JakeP Top 100 of 2016

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

 

Postby adg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Some great songs at the top end of your chart from Little Mix, Clean Bandit, Coldplay and Justin Timberlake.
User avatar
adg
Superstar
 
Posts: 5013
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007
Location: Nottinghamshire

Postby Tansike » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:24 am

JakeP wrote:Is that normal to have such a gap between semi final and final? I would've thought the final would be a couple of days after the semi finals, so similar to the Eurovision song contest. Ahh, i don't really follow the album charts as closely. :oops: Did LP enter your album chart with Death valley ep?
No idea, I also thought it’s strange. But it’s probably not even a bad thing, that way they have enough time to gather some more power to do a great performance on the final. Ah yes she did, she even peaked at #2, while the album itself topped my charts :)

JakeP wrote:I'm even more disappointed with this era for Bruno Mars. I decided to check out That's what i like on YouTube but it does nothing for me. :( I wanna hear Bruno singing, not doing this rap sing thing. :-? Oops is more likely to be a single as the team behind Little Mix are getting everyone spot on imo and that's why the girls are enjoying so much success. :D
So I guess he won’t do well on your charts with that song then. It’s also not my favorite song, “Versace” and “Chunky” would have been much better for the second single. “That’s What I Like” is another similar song to what he just did, but since that stuff did well, I think they went with it as they are hoping to get another safe hit.

JakeP wrote:Dami did incredibly well and it's the highest a eurovision song has finished in my year end chart. Måns Zelmerlöw got to #57 in my chart of 2015 whilst The Common Linnets got to #75 in 2014. It only spent 4 weeks inside my chart which is why it didn't feature higher. Rachel Platten had an amazing run with Stand by you so its no surprise for me that it's ended inside my top 30 of 2016. I feel it coming just dominated in its short run on my chart - six weeks inside the top 3 is an exceptional result.
Oh interesting, somehow I thought the ESC artists used to do better on your charts. But this is awesome news for Dami then! :D Glad for Rachel’s success, and not surprised The Weeknd already did well. I’m sure he will do well in 2017 too :)

JakeP wrote:Really? :lol: Secret love song was easily my favourite song at the start of 2016 when it spent four weeks at #1, the only single to spent that long at #1. I adore the message behind the song, the whole idea of being in a secret relationship because you don't want certain people to know you're gay, so it really is an lgbt anthem in that respect.
I still know that this was huge for you now that I’ve seen it again, I just somehow already completely forgot that this track happened in early 2016 so I didn’t expect it on your list somehow. I also still remember that we shortly talked about its message as well in your topic.

05. MØ - Final song
04. Alan Walker - Faded
03. Sia featuring Kendrick Lamar - The greatest
02. Kungs vs Cookin’ On 3 Burners - This Girl
01. LP - Lost on you
Brilliant Top5! Well, "This Girl" is as you probably still know nothing i'd go crazy for, but it's still good. And i absolutely love the other four songs!
"Lost On You" is definitely a worthy #1 of your year-end-charts and i already expected this to be so high on your list. LP seems to be such a great vocalist, singer and songwriter and i really, really hope we will hear a lot more from her in the future. I also hope they will push her in the UK since the album isn't out there yet.

I won't write down another large text here cause you probably know how much i like LP and also the ones by Alan Walker, Sia and MO. Big highlights of 2016 for me as well <3

Fantastic countdown. I already expected to love most of the songs and so i did, your taste is flawless! :wink:
User avatar
Tansike
Legend
 
Posts: 40067
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012
Location: Switzerland

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 am

JSparksFan wrote:"Best Mistake" is on the same album as "Problem", so maybe you heard it and forgot it.
Ah ok i never got My everything so only know the singles off the album.

JSparksFan wrote:Have you ever seen Glee? The Glee Cast did a phenomenal cover of "Fix You", so much so that I actually prefer their interpretation to Coldplay's. For me, it was the emotional gravity of the scenes with which they paired the song that really struck me right in the feels.

I am not as big a Coldplay fan, so to list my Top 10 from them wouldn't be such a tough task. Lemme see:

01. Viva la Vida
02. Hymn for the Weekend
03. Princess of China
04. Adventure of a Lifetime
05. Fix You
06. Clocks
07. Christmas Lights
08. The Scientist (the Glee Cast also did a mightily impressive cover of this one)
09. Paradise
10. Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall
LOL yes, i loved Glee when it first started, i had a soft spot for Chris Colfer! :lol: Especially when he did his own version of Beyonce's Single ladies, he was fabulous as Kurt! :lol: That said, i can't remember their Coldplay covers so will have to relisten on YouTube.

As for that top 10 i really can't argue as i love all those songs although my order would probably go:

01. Fix you
02. Hymn for the weekend
03. Paradise
04. Viva la vida
05. Clocks
06. Princess of China
07. Adventure of a lifetime
08. The scientist
09. Every teardrop is a waterfall
10. Christmas lights

JSparksFan wrote:There were two comments posted in my year-end countdown that spoke to the quality of the lyrics, which made me revisit the song.
Ahh right, yes i would agree that lyrically I took a pill in Ibiza was a lot more unique in that sense. Its probably one of the reasons why the song stood out so much as well have the amazing SeeB remix.

JSparksFan wrote:Yep! Ruthless, aren't I? :lol:
Which song lost out in the end? :P

JSparksFan wrote:"Wings". 8-)
Ohh nice, i also love Wings as well. Did you like any of the other Little Mix singles from their first two albums?

JSparksFan wrote:For me, yes. :oops:
Aww, even if you didn't like Faded i'd be cool, i never expect everyone to like the same songs. I think that's an impossible achievement where everyone can agree that a song is really good. Maybe Hello by Adele but even then i'm not sure. :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:Interesting. "Chandelier" was also my 2014 year-end #2, behind "Drunk in Love".
LOL see i didn't get the fuss over Drunk in love but i know it was really popular with a lot of UK Mixers in 2014.

JSparksFan wrote:king_oxymoron.
Ahh ok! :D I always refer to people by their usernames, unless i know their name through reading a thread. :oops:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:20 am

king_oxymoron wrote:Hiya :lol:

I am not that enamoured with your top 5, sorry, but LOADS I love throughout the top 30... Into You, obv. So good to see that acoustic version of Touch... Leigh-Anne's voice, man, and some less obvious hits like Say You Do and False Alarm alongside the big ones like Tears and Rockabye. Good selection, Jake!
Hi Adam :D

Aww, never mind i'm still happy to see you loving so many songs throughout the chart. Ohh cool, i'm always checking out videos on YouTube as i tend to discover little gems like that Touch performance. Where is the music video though? :o Yes, i got goosebumps when Leigh-Anne went for that high chorus and the whole audience burst into cheers. Amazing! :D I love Say you do, it was an instant hit for me as soon as i heard it. Clean Bandit owned it in 2016 but then i'm a big fan so they tend to own it most of the time anyways. :P
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:21 am

adg wrote:Some great songs at the top end of your chart from Little Mix, Clean Bandit, Coldplay and Justin Timberlake.
Thanks adg :D

Great list of faves, i will try and reply in others' charts today. :wink:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:43 am

Tansike wrote:No idea, I also thought it’s strange. But it’s probably not even a bad thing, that way they have enough time to gather some more power to do a great performance on the final. Ah yes she did, she even peaked at #2, while the album itself topped my charts :)
That's a good point, and i think by building up to the final it increases anticipation and as you say, if that means an incredible performance in the final then people in other countries are bound to express interest. And if Kerli wins... :o :D :P :wink: I'm still hoping Spirit animal does represent Estonia as it could put them as a front runner.

Tansike wrote:So I guess he won’t do well on your charts with that song then. It’s also not my favorite song, “Versace” and “Chunky” would have been much better for the second single. “That’s What I Like” is another similar song to what he just did, but since that stuff did well, I think they went with it as they are hoping to get another safe hit.
It's looking unlikely, i have to least like a song for it to dent my top 20. If a song doesn't impress me or leave a lasting impression that makes me want to listen more then its never gonna make my chart. :( Like i've posted in the past, i don't enter songs in my chart just because i like the artist. The song is what's most important to me. :wink:

Tansike wrote:Oh interesting, somehow I thought the ESC artists used to do better on your charts. But this is awesome news for Dami then! :D Glad for Rachel’s success, and not surprised The Weeknd already did well. I’m sure he will do well in 2017 too :)
I know there is a lot of build up to eurovision which each country doing their own pre-selection shows but i don't really follow many of them, only the odd one or two if i've seen a clip on YouTube that caught my attention. Obviously i know Kerli so i'm already aware of Spirit animal. In the last two years i've not entered any eurovision songs into my chart until once the final has been broadcast. It means i can still chart all my favourite songs outside of eurovision, and then let the post-eurovision impact take hold of my chart. For e.g. The Common Linnets got to #4 but only stayed in my chart for that one week. Måns Zelmerlöw went 01-10-17 with Heroes and Dami Im went 01-02-04-09 so even though it was a shirt run, it was all high up the chart so that's why Sound of silence still managed 30th which is a really good result. I'm unsure if The Weeknd will have any more big hits in my chart in 2017 as I feel it coming is already my absolute favourite and that's had an impressive run.

Tansike wrote:I still know that this was huge for you now that I’ve seen it again, I just somehow already completely forgot that this track happened in early 2016 so I didn’t expect it on your list somehow. I also still remember that we shortly talked about its message as well in your topic.
The lyrics to Secret love song are so relatable to people like us, and because it's such a beautiful song it was always going to do well in my chart. I could've done without Jason Derulo autotuned to the point he sounded like a robot ( :lol: ) but i eventually just got used to his "voice" on the track.

Tansike wrote:Brilliant Top5! Well, "This Girl" is as you probably still know nothing i'd go crazy for, but it's still good. And i absolutely love the other four songs!
"Lost On You" is definitely a worthy #1 of your year-end-charts and i already expected this to be so high on your list. LP seems to be such a great vocalist, singer and songwriter and i really, really hope we will hear a lot more from her in the future. I also hope they will push her in the UK since the album isn't out there yet.

I won't write down another large text here cause you probably know how much i like LP and also the ones by Alan Walker, Sia and MO. Big highlights of 2016 for me as well <3

Fantastic countdown. I already expected to love most of the songs and so i did, your taste is flawless! :wink:
Haha yes, i remember you weren't that keen on This girl which is cool. It was always going to be close between Kungs and LP, they were the two songs i discovered myself before either of them became really popular so i felt more happy watching these two songs becoming so successful. I think it's a great feeling when a song i've loved for a few months goes on to big things.

LOL! :lol: I understand what you mean, i'm the same. I try to avoid posting identical comments in different threads as i find it boring to do that. So i try to mix it up and channel my attention on different songs if i can. :P :wink:

Thanks for all your comments throughout 2016, as you know i love reading your thoughts and generating a discussion. <3 :D Well, we have similar tastes so we both have flawless taste. :wink:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:08 am

JakeP wrote:Actually i've always had a good relationship with my mum so she's always been a great help. My aunty has always been there for me too. As for my uncle, i rarely saw him anyways only at family events (wedding, christening, first holy communion, etc) but i never told him direct, but i'm sure my aunty must've told him. He died in 2012 and even though he weren't close i still felt upset but i know more of that was because of my aunty. :( LOL, well if i went up a cute straight guy and said "you're so gorgeous" i don't know how that would go down. :lol: Depends on the boy, some might just laugh nervously whilst others might get really defensive and start shouting and making a fist. Of course whenever guys do the latter, they're revealing a lot more about themselves than they realise. :wink:
Aw, that's awesome! Kind of a "she's-both-a-mother-and-best/close-friend" situation? It's really great to be able to get support like that from such a crucial figure in your life. <3

Ha, yeah, that would be a tad risky indeed (sadly.) I'd love to see the day when straight guys can just turn a guy down, instead of making a scene/feeling the need to assert their masculinity and heterosexuality with a needlessly aggressive response. A simple "No thanks, I'm straight" should suffice. Do you generally find yourself more drawn to straight guys?

JakeP wrote:Ohh no, i was joking! :oops: Charlie is cute but i dunno, i don't find him "sexy" similarly like Shawn. LOL male beauty in different shapes and sizes, eh? Yes, i know what you mean! :lol: :wink: Ohh i've never been one for the tanned look. I find guys who wear fake tan really off putting for some reason. If boys have pasty pale skin, they should just embrace it. Some guys can go overboard, i remember seeing a girl who had gone way ott with the fake tan to the point she looked orange. It's just wrong! :lol:
Ha, the President is certainly a prime example of that as well... :x

JakeP wrote:LOL well i watch music videos more on YouTube anyways. Like i say, music channels are great in the morning whilst i'm eating my breakfast just to have some music on in the background. It beats putting the radio on and hearing the dj loving the sound of their voice and refusing to shut up and play a song. :lol: :x
Ugh, YES! Between DJs who blather on for days, endless adverts, and playlists that seem to have maybe 10-15 different songs in total, I'm SO glad that we have so many options besides radio now! I'll only turn to it as a last resort if I'm in a car and there's absolutely no way to connect anyone's device to the speakers.

JakeP wrote:I wonder why Beyonce wasn't credited because i'm sure people were already starting rumours before the album release, so some people out there knew about it. Maybe it was at the request of Beyonce herself.
Queen of modesty. :cry:

• "Final Song" really took UKMIX by storm last year, and it's definitely one of my favorite offerings from MØ thus far (just behind "Lean On", if we count her guest appearances.) Speaking of: I totally forgot that "Lean On" didn't go to No. 1 in the UK :o I thought that the US was one of the very few places in the world where it missed out (especially when it comes to major music markets.)
• When I first saw Alan Walker's name popping up, I assumed he was a country artist (seems to fit right in with the likes of Gary Allan, Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Alan Jackson, etc.), but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally gave "Faded" a listen and discovered it was about as far from country as you can get :lol: "Lush" really is a perfect descriptor!
• Although "The Greatest" never deeply resonated with me as a song, the video is undoubtedly award-worthy! Sia really has a way with her visuals, in addition to her obvious singing and songwriting talents.
• It's awesome that you were able to start the thread for a song you ended up loving as much as "This Girl"! Helping to promote your faves around UKMIX is a theme we'll see with the next entry too...
• ...the incredible "Lost On You"! If it weren't for you, I still wouldn't have even heard of this song (or LP at all, for that matter) even now, since it (shamefully) still hasn't taken off on the official charts I follow. Although there's so much to appreciate about this song and video, I do feel particularly moved seeing an LGBT act being completely, unapologetically out in their art. Even if there were a guy in the video instead, LP certainly has the power to move you to your core.

Although I'm a bit more drawn to the No. 10 - No. 6 batch than the final No. 5 - No. 1 group, there isn't a single song in your top tier that I dislike! A superb conclusion to a superb countdown! Hopefully you can forgive my terribly-belated response, and you definitely don't have to respond to everything I've said here, otherwise we might keep going back-and-forth until your 2017 countdown kicks off :lol: Speaking of: **fingers crossed** for Starley to land inside this year's Top 10!
User avatar
phoenix98
Legend
 
Posts: 12724
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007

Postby cdschart » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:17 pm

I really love 7 of the tracks in your top 10 (all but Starving and the Little Mix ones), especially the ones in the top 5. My favorite of those is probably Lost On You, which is currently in my weekly top 10.

Inside the lower half of the top 20, Hymn For the Weekend, Into You, Touch, Stressed Out and This Is What You Came For all great. Lots of other tracks are good in the lower 80 spots as well. Overall a great countdown.

We have a common 2014 year end #1 in Rather Be and Hello was one of the biggest tracks of 2015 on my chart as well.

Also the Drum shade is not acceptable 8-)
User avatar
cdschart
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016

Postby JakeP » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:16 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Aw, that's awesome! Kind of a "she's-both-a-mother-and-best/close-friend" situation? It's really great to be able to get support like that from such a crucial figure in your life. <3
LOL yes, i do feel genuinely lucky to have such a great relationship. :P

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, yeah, that would be a tad risky indeed (sadly.) I'd love to see the day when straight guys can just turn a guy down, instead of making a scene/feeling the need to assert their masculinity and heterosexuality with a needlessly aggressive response. A simple "No thanks, I'm straight" should suffice. Do you generally find yourself more drawn to straight guys?
Wouldn't that be amazing? It's never gonna happen though. :( I have found boys attractive who i thought were gay but turned out to be straight, or at least they claimed to be. :lol: There is a gay guy where i work although he's like 40 and i don't find him attractive at all, he looks like he could be the younger brother of Gordon Brown (former UK politician). Eww no thanks! :evil: It's worse though when i find straight boys attractive as i feel really awkward talking to them, just trying to be casual with them and not make it obvious that i wanna get them naked. :P :wink: My biggest fear would be talking to a cute guy at work and find myself getting aroused and getting hard down below. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, the President is certainly a prime example of that as well... :x
Haha, do you know anyone in America who actually likes Donald Trump? Did you vote at the US election?

phoenix98 wrote:Ugh, YES! Between DJs who blather on for days, endless adverts, and playlists that seem to have maybe 10-15 different songs in total, I'm SO glad that we have so many options besides radio now! I'll only turn to it as a last resort if I'm in a car and there's absolutely no way to connect anyone's device to the speakers.
Yes, so glad we agree on that point. I'm not a fan of the restricted playlists either. What annoys me about this is that we have so many different radio stations but they all play almost the same songs across all channels.

phoenix98 wrote:Queen of modesty. :cry:
Well, you never know. That said, Beyonce must've known that Lemonade was gonna be released and maybe didn't want Hymn for the weekend to overshadow everything. Might also explain why it only became a hit in the US months after already being so popular in other countries.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Final Song" really took UKMIX by storm last year, and it's definitely one of my favorite offerings from MØ thus far (just behind "Lean On", if we count her guest appearances.) Speaking of: I totally forgot that "Lean On" didn't go to No. 1 in the UK :o I thought that the US was one of the very few places in the world where it missed out (especially when it comes to major music markets.)
I actually love Final song more than Lean on now although i still love both songs. Yes, shockingly Lean on never got to #1 in the UK although i do remember it was #1 on Spotify so really it was the streaming that helped the song get that high in the charts. Are Major Lazer that popular though in America? Even Cold water never went to #1 either, and that had Justin Bieber to sell the song.

phoenix98 wrote:• When I first saw Alan Walker's name popping up, I assumed he was a country artist (seems to fit right in with the likes of Gary Allan, Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Alan Jackson, etc.), but I was pleasantly surprised when I finally gave "Faded" a listen and discovered it was about as far from country as you can get :lol: "Lush" really is a perfect descriptor!
LOL i remember that. :P I adore Faded and it really stood out so much amongst all the other dance music at the time. I was delighted that Alan Walker ended up getting a really successful single with Faded.

phoenix98 wrote:• Although "The Greatest" never deeply resonated with me as a song, the video is undoubtedly award-worthy! Sia really has a way with her visuals, in addition to her obvious singing and songwriting talents.
Gosh, The greatest was such an instant hit for me. From the first time i watched the music video on YouTube, as soon as it got to the chorus i was sold. I do agree that the music video is exceptional and just looks iconic. The cinematography and choreography couldn't have been more perfect. This was the natural progression from the videos to both Chandelier and Elastic heart. I wonder if Maddie will appear in future Sia videos. :D

phoenix98 wrote:• It's awesome that you were able to start the thread for a song you ended up loving as much as "This Girl"! Helping to promote your faves around UKMIX is a theme we'll see with the next entry too...
I really did feel so proud to see This girl becoming this massive success in so many countries. Just like The greatest, this song also just clicked on the first listen. Such a shame that i've not been anywhere near as impressed with Kungs' follow up singles.

phoenix98 wrote:• ...the incredible "Lost On You"! If it weren't for you, I still wouldn't have even heard of this song (or LP at all, for that matter) even now, since it (shamefully) still hasn't taken off on the official charts I follow. Although there's so much to appreciate about this song and video, I do feel particularly moved seeing an LGBT act being completely, unapologetically out in their art. Even if there were a guy in the video instead, LP certainly has the power to move you to your core.
I'm so happy that i was able to introduce you and Tansike to LP's Lost on you. This was a classic case of endurance winning the race. As i posted in my summary, i didn't love the song instantly but instead found myself curiously going back and listening again and again. It quickly became one of my songs of the year after that. I totally get your point about being "out in their art", and not covering it up with a bog standard autopilot music video! :lol: :P

phoenix98 wrote:Although I'm a bit more drawn to the No. 10 - No. 6 batch than the final No. 5 - No. 1 group, there isn't a single song in your top tier that I dislike! A superb conclusion to a superb countdown! Hopefully you can forgive my terribly-belated response, and you definitely don't have to respond to everything I've said here, otherwise we might keep going back-and-forth until your 2017 countdown kicks off :lol: Speaking of: **fingers crossed** for Starley to land inside this year's Top 10!
My whole top 10 really do define the best of 2016 for me, the songs that struck the biggest impact on me. Aww, don't worry about the late replies. LOL i don't see anything wrong with keeping up the discussions for another 11 months! :lol: :P Ahh, Starley has already got off an amazing start so far in 2017 so after 4 weeks i think its safe to say that Call on me (Ryan Riback Remix) is comfortably in my top 5 of the year so far. :wink:
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Return to Year End Personal Charts