Jim's Top 40 Songs of 2016 (Finished)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:11 am

Welcome!

So normally I'd countdown the 70 or 100 best songs of the year and there were plenty of great songs in 2016, but I simply can't be bothered. So instead, I'll be focusing on the top 40 tracks of 2016.

First a recap of last time...

THE 2015 TOP TEN

#10 TAYLOR SWIFT - Wildest Dreams
#9 GRACE - You Don't Own Me ft G-Eazy
#8 CONCHITA - You Are Unstoppable
#7 LUNCHMONEY LEWIS - Whip It! ft Chloe Angelides
#6 OLLY MURS - Beautiful to Me
#5 TAYLOR SWIFT - Out of the Woods
#4 ELLIE GOULDING - Love Me Like You Do
#3 TORI KELLY - Should've Been Us
#2 G.R.L. - Lighthouse
#1 TAYLOR SWIFT - Style

YEAR IN REVIEW

2016 was a year defined primarily by acts like Justin Bieber (continuing his late 2015 resurgence in popularity), The Chainsmokers, Drake, Adele & Beyonce. The tropical house trend continued and we saw many rehashes of Major Lazer's ever-present 2015 hit 'Lean On'. Album sales all but died unless you were Adele, Drake, dead, or a Christmas album. Meanwhile streaming continued to become the new norm, as iTunes struggled to maintain relevancy. We saw so-called Vine hits (e.g. 'Black Beatles', 'Juju on That Beat'), but also the death of Vine in the same year, when Twitter decided to discontinue to the app.

2016 also held no shortage of comebacks, with former one-hit wonders hitting the charts in the way of Mike Posner and James Arthur, whilst Joe Jonas also returned to the charts for the first time in years thanks to his new outfit DNCE. Rihanna & Beyonce simultaneously shifted their focus to album-based work and critical appeal, whilst Drake got the best of all worlds, scoring huge successes on album, single and streaming fronts.

In the world of musical groups, Fifth Harmony gained one of the biggest YouTube smashes of all-time in 'Work From Home' (1.2 billion views and counting), whilst also losing a member at Christmas. Little Mix continued to score hits amongst the Commonwealth with 'Secret Love Song', 'Hair' and 'Shout Out to My Ex', whilst twenty one pilots were left to hold the torch of "rock" music in the mainstream.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:15 am

41 Robin Schulz & David Guetta - Shed a Light ft Cheat Codes
42 Hailee Steinfeld - Starving ft Grey & Zedd
43 Alessia Cara - Wild Things
44 OneRepublic - Wherever I Go
45 Birdy - Keeping Your Head Up
46 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You
47 Jess Glynne - If I Can't Have You
48 Nick Jonas - Close ft Tove Lo
49 Zayn - Pillowtalk
50 Coldplay - Hymn for the Weekend ft Beyonce

51 Dua Lipa - Last Dance
52 Dami Im - Sound of Silence
53 Calvin Harris - This is What You Came For ft Rihanna
54 Avicii & Otto Knows - Back Where I Belong ft LP
55 Tegan & Sara - Stop Desire
56 5 Seconds of Summer - Girls Talk Boys
57 Olly Murs - Grow Up
58 Major Lazer - Cold Water ft Justin Bieber & MO
59 Demi Lovato - Body Say
60 Illy - Papercuts ft Vera Blue

61 The Tide - Click My Fingers
62 G.R.L. - Are We Good?
63 Coldplay - Up & Up
64 Betty Who - I Love You Always Forever
65 Shawn Mendes - Mercy
66 Jessica Mauboy - Risk It
67 Kat Deluna - Waves
68 Emeli Sande - Hurts
69 Louisa Johnson - So Good
70 Sigma - Find Me ft Birdy
71 Alessia Cara - Scars to Your Beautiful
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:19 am

IGGY AZALEA TEAM

Poor Iggy probably has zero chance of making a comeback to the charts, regardless, this song was an absolute banger. I'm posting the dance video, because I like it more than the music video and it's got the same amount of views anyways (80 million).
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:22 am

LADY GAGA PERFECT ILLUSION

From one chart flop to another, 'Perfect Illusion' was an interesting release. I think the core fans liked the track, but it was really a poor choice to reintroduce her to the public. I feel like the public was very ready, receptive and hyped for new Gaga music, but this was not the track to do it, it's not accessible enough. Regardless of all of that, it's actually a great song and I really enjoy the chaotic video.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:25 am

HALSEY COLORS

I was lukewarm on Halsey for a while, I remember hearing 'New Americana' on the radio in 2015 and being intrigued, but not overly interested. 'Colors' was the song that brought me across the line and made me a fan. I could argue that it's probably because this song sounds very much like a Taylor Swift song in pretty much every way (vocals, production and lyrics) that I fell for it. It's a definite highlight from her 'Badlands' album.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Biebz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 am

Brilliant 3 so far. Can't wait for new Halsey!
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:31 am

SELENA GOMEZ KILL EM WITH KINDNESS

I remember some UKMixers raving on about this song and that it should be a single. You know what? They were right. I can't believe they left this at the end of the album campaign after the snoozefest 'Good For You' and the unpleasant 'Same Old Love'. Some cheeky whistles burrow their way into your brain, making this song quite catchy. The lyrics are refined for a pop song, I love the lines "Your lies are bullets. your mouth's a gun, and no war in anger, was ever won", it is very suited to her soft vocal. I don't think since Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep' has a video gotten so many views on YouTube of someone sitting in a chair.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:36 am

SIA THE GREATEST FT KENDRICK LAMAR

Continuing her penchant for inspirational anthems, Sia is never one to miss the opportunity make some more moolah. After the smash success of RiRi reject 'Cheap Thrills', it was only logical to release another track in the same vein, but that required a re-release. The track is enjoyable with or without Kendrick, although I enjoy his verse. Normally her contemporary dance videos are a bit pretentious (read: boring), but 'The Greatest' actually has a great video, a tribute to the victims of Orlando.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:43 am

BROODS FREE

NZ act Broods got their biggest Aussie chart hit in 2016 with 'Free', the lead single from their second album 'Concious'. The electro-pop song contrasts two equally great sections, the catchy chorus which has enough grunt to make it authentic and the verses with the glorious hook 'hallelujah I'm free!". Unfortunately there wasn't anything else on the album I enjoyed as much as this track.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:47 am

SHAWN MENDES TREAT YOU BETTER

Shawn Mendes came of age and scored his breakthrough hit 'Stitches' in late 2015, so what better way to continue your success than to repackage the same song in a different wrapper? Yes, 'Treat You Better' is very similar, but I actually think it's the better song and the hook "BETTAH THAN HE CAN!!" isn't quite as annoying as the "stteeecchhess, kessssesss" hook. As much as I love this song, I just wish he wasn't such a bland popstar.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:40 am

JimJim wrote:42 Hailee Steinfeld - Starving ft Grey & Zedd
48 Nick Jonas - Close ft Tove Lo
49 Zayn - Pillowtalk
53 Calvin Harris - This is What You Came For ft Rihanna
59 Demi Lovato - Body Say
68 Emeli Sande - Hurts
First off - it's an honor to share two of our 2015 Top 10's ("Style" and "Love Me Like You Do") - and in the EXACT same positions, no less! :D

• Although I definitely agree that Gaga seemed to be in the best standing with the GP that she'd been in quite some time, I'm not sure if Joanne contains anything that I could imagine fairing much better than PI did. What would you have gone with instead? Commercial performance aside, PI didn't do a ton for me personally (and the same could be said for Joanne overall.) :oops:
• "Colors", on the other hand, does all kinds of things to me (both the song and video.) I'd seen Halsey's name tossed around before, but I never bothered to actually give her a chance until Akini recommended this track - and I'm SO glad he did! Totally agree about the Taylor connection too.
• I may not share your enthusiasm for "Kill Em With Kindness", but I'm definitely chuckling at the "Good For You" and "Same Old Love" shade. I don't REALLY mind either, but "Hands To Myself" is the clear Revival single standout for me.
• It took me WAY too long to discover the connection between "The Greatest" and the Orlando nightclub massacre, and although I greatly respect Sia's choice to do such a tribute, the track itself never quite clicked with me the way "Cheap Thrills" did.
:lol: :lol: :lol: @ your interpretation of the "Stitches" lyrics. This countdown commentary is solid gold and we're only (officially) six songs in...
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:04 am

Good to hear you guys are enjoying it :D

Let's not waste any time...

DUA LIPA HOTTER THAN HELL

Dua Lipa can do no wrong, this girl has literally not released a bad single to date. New Love? Great song. Be The One? Amazing. Last Dance? Cool track. Hotter Than Hell? Absolute tune. As I mentioned in one of her threads, Dua has very slowly deviated from the mainstream/alternative fringe she once stood upon and somehow ended up just going into full-blown mainstream territory. 'Hotter Than Hell' and 'Blow Your Mind' contain zero of the alt appeal that 'New Love' or 'Be The One' had. Is that a bad thing? Maybe for her longevity, but when the material is this good, my present self cares less. Her husky tone is otherworldly, she could sing TheArmy's posts to me and make even them sound good.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:11 am

TAYLOR SWIFT NEW ROMANTICS

It wouldn't be a JimJim countdown without some T Swizz, so allow me to chart the only single she released in 2016 (worth mentioning). Coming right at the end of the magnificent '1989' era was this final single 'New Romantics'. Originally just a bonus track, the fandom were screaming for this one to be a single for quite some time. 'New Romantics' shows how wondrous Taylor can make pop music, I can see why Carly Rae copied it, because this sound suits her well.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:18 am

DUA LIPA BLOW YOUR MIND (MWAH)

...and this one is just slightly better than 'Hotter Than Hell', Why was this not a hit? It's catchy af (mwah!).
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:24 am

TROYE SIVAN WILD FT ALESSIA CARA

Normally I don't really care for re-releases, let alone "remixes" with added artists on the track (*cough* Sean Paul *cough*), but I'm kinda glad this was re-released in 2016. Honestly, I had kinda ignored this track the first time around, instead looking more at 'Youth', what a mistake that was! This is probably Troye's best song to date and whilst Alessia doesn't add an awful lot, I do think it's slightly more dynamic than the original. It's kinda like when Demi joined in on 'Somebody To You' in 2014, which I would have otherwise ignored most likely.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:36 am

LITTLE MIX SECRET LOVE SONG FT JASON DERULO

Ain't many classic ballads making the chart in 2016, so here's to Little Mix for getting a hit with one! Yes, it's very by-the-numbers, but it's also very good. I'm also not entirely sure how what is surely meant to be a duet, somehow works amongst four girls and one Jason Derulo... let's consider this the musical orgy of the love ballad world. Just like a dinner from Nandos, the Perrie is what makes this so good.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:42 am

ALL SAINTS ONE WOMAN MAN

All Saints blessed us with a mostly-great new album in 2016, which stayed true to their roots. Third single 'One Woman Man' unfortunately didn't get a video, probably due to a lack of budget, I don't think NZ X-Factor pays that well. It's a shame though, because it's a fantastic, empowered pop anthem. In this tale, the scorn woman rises triumphantly like a phoenix. It's classy in every possible way, from the storytelling lyrics to the use of a string section and they are all the more respectable for it.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:47 am

HAILEE STEINFELD ROCK BOTTOM

In between 'Love Myself' and the surprise smash 'Starving', Hailee Steinfeld dropped 'Rock Bottom'. This is an awesome song, with a big sing-a-long chorus, I just wish Joe Jonas wasn't also singing along with us. Whilst lyrically it totally works as a duet, the DNCE single mix doesn't add anything at all to the song. It's a shame this was a mega-flop, Australia being the only country where it charted in the top forty (#39).
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:50 am

SIA CHEAP THRILLS

The version without Sean Paul.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:55 am

PANIC! AT THE DISCO L.A. DEVOTEE

Probably my favourite band, Panic! At The Disco, were still smashing it in 2016. This is the most pop moment on the 'Death of a Bachelor' album, it's super catchy, the kind of music I love to drive around to in my car on a nice, sunny day. Although the rather dark video may not give that vibe.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:06 am

ALL SAINTS THIS IS A WAR

All Saints blessed us with a mostly-great new album in 2016, which stayed true to their roots. Second single 'This Is A War' unfortunately got a rather basic video, probably due to a lack of budget, I don't think NZ X-Factor pays that well. It's a shame though, because it's a fantastic, empowered pop anthem. It's classy in every possible way, from the storytelling lyrics to the use of a string section and they are all the more respectable for it. Seriously though, it's a beautiful song.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 am

BIRDY WILD HORSES

For me, Birdy really came through in 2016. I went from mostly ignoring her, to streaming her album on Spotify to get her those .2c of my hard earned money. Lead single 'Keeping Your Head Up' was awesome, as was her Sigma collaboration more recently, 'Wild Horses' is the highlight of the album though. Her ethereal vocals flow through this track with such ease and delicacy, yet seem so powerful on that chorus. She sings it with such conviction, I find it very empowering.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:18 am

DELTA GOODREM THE RIVER

We move from the ocean into 'The River', from the evergreen queen, Delta Goodrem. 'The River' makes me think that some of her time in Ryan Tedder in 2013 rubbed off on Delta, as these gospel thematics scream OneRepublic School of Songwriting. It's a little unusual and refreshing for Delta to so blatantly tell a tale of fiction in her song lyrics, but I was here for it. That chorus hits with just as much bang as the supposed gun, I just wish the song had a bridge!
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:39 am

ARIANA GRANDE INTO YOU

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Max Martin is a genius. In fact, I will go as far to say he is the greatest pop music producer/songwriter of all-time. 'Into You' was his best 2016 offering and the standout of Ariana's 'Dangerous Woman' album. The song loses points for having blah lyrics, but it gets extra points for having my 2013 crush Don in the video.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby MrRager » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:44 am

Loving Iggy - Team, Dua Lipa - Hotter Than Hell and Rock Bottom!
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts