Jim's Top 40 Songs of 2016 (Finished)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:44 am

MIKE POSNER BE AS YOU ARE (REMIX)

Whilst Mike Posner scored a massive international hit with 'I Took A Pill In Ibiza' (which I'm not charting as it's technically a 2015 song), people unfortunately didn't pay much attention to his other tracks, nor this follow-up single. The album housed the original acoustic style arrangements for those who prefer the slower takes, but also radio-ready remixes of the tracks, most of which were very good. Whilst the 'Buried in Detroit' and 'Not That Simple' remixes are also great, this was the cream of the crop. The beautiful, inspiring lyrics are brought to life in this version, whilst the original is decent, it's just a bit too slow.

I've linked the audio above as the music video has a lot of interruptions to the track.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:45 am

[
ADELE WHEN WE WERE YOUNG

I'm going to justify the performance of this song on the singles charts by calling it an "album seller", there's no other explanation. Back in early 2016, my partner used to play this quite often at night before going to bed, he was obsessed with it. I eventually started to feel much the same, although I listen to it very sparingly, which helps to maintain the emotional impact of the track. It's an exceptional song - I don't know how she does it, but she reinvigorated the "remember how we used to be" trope into something compelling. Bravo.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby MrRager » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:28 am

Love both of the Veronicas songs!! Just discovered On Your Side and although its not as good as the incredible In My Blood its still brilliant!

One Strike is also brilliant. I actually forgot about that one. I need to revisit it.

Million reasons is amazing. Would have been awesome if it was her lead.

I used to really like When We Were Young around this time last year but i really got sick of it. Water Under The Bridge is decent. But I thought the album as a whole was quite poor.
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:53 am

In My Blood and On Your Side are good singles but I slightly prefer the former.
Adele's tracks are strong but I think that 25 is a good album overall.
Heavy is the second best single from Wings Of The Wild. A nice ballad from Delta.
Million Reasons is GaGa's best ballad, perhaps it should have been the lead single instead of Perfect Illusion.
Totally agreed on everything you said about Robbie's Love My Life.
Don't Let me Down is one of the best tracks of the year. It's just a shame that everything that came afterwards was total crap.
Let Me Love You is yet another good song from DJ Snake. I just wish someone else sung it instead.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Very glad to see Adele and The Chainsmokers here both twice in the Top-10 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Biebz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Please take me out of the title, I don't want to be affiliated with these Adele songs
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Phoenixx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 pm

Biebz wrote:Please take me out of the title, I don't want to be affiliated with these Adele songs
You hate Adele? :o :evil:
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 am

The highlights for me in this top twenty are definitely Tom Odell, OneRepublic and Delta... I looked at Delta when oddly she was the No.1 video on itunes UK... Tom like you I thought was pretty dull album one but there are some big gems on Wrong Crowd!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:26 pm

#20 THE VERONICAS IN MY BLOOD
#19 SERGEY LAZAREV YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE
#16 JAMES ARTHUR SAY YOU WON'T LET GO
#15 DJ SNAKE LET ME LOVE YOU FT JUSTIN BIEBER
#14 ONEREPUBLIC KIDS
#12 CHARLIE PUTH & SELENA GOMEZ WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE
#10 MEGHAN TRAINOR NO
#9 DELTA GOODREM HEAVY
#8 LADY GAGA MILLION REASONS
#7 THE CHAINSMOKERS DON'T LET ME DOWN FT DAYA
#5 ADELE WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE
#4 MIKE POSNER BE AS YOU ARE (REMIX)
LOVE that Top20 so far! "Don't Let Me Down", "Million Reasons" and "You Are The Only One" were big highlights of 2016 for me as well, so glad to see them doing well on your countdown too.
Didn't expect to see "Be As You Are" at #4. It's way too underrated and deserved to be another hit for Mike.

Shocked at Adele's worst song being at #3 :oops:

Tom Odell, All Saints, Robbie Williams' and The Veronica's "On Your Side" are okay-ish too.
Tansike
Legend

Postby JimJim » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:24 am

Forgot to finish this, whoops! Thanks for the comments.

DELTA GOODREM ENOUGH FT GIZZLE

The pinnacle of Queen Delta releases in 2016 was the single 'Enough' featuring then-unknown female rapper, Gizzle. It's an absolute travesty that this flopped, because everything is on point - the video, the vocals, the rap, the lyrics... all brilliant. The song starts of with some classic Delta piano work, before a heavier than usual beat kicks in and Gizzle takes the verses. The crescendo of the chorus throughout the song gives me life, you just have to scream along at the end. Delta continually proves you can make pop music that is catchy, classy and powerful.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:36 am

And the best song of the year...

TOM ODELL MAGNETISED

I did not see this coming. I was not a fan of Tom Odell on the first album, but I was absolutely. blown. away. by this song. It's a masterpiece. Tom has crafted a near perfect song about unrequited love and it is just dripping with passion. The song has an almost dance song-like structure, starting off relatively tame before it builds up like an impending beatdrop at the chorus. The chorus is a huge moment, in every possible sense, with the explosion of the vocals, the beat and the piano. This song gives me goosebumps and much like #2, I'm prone to screaming along to it in the car, doing it absolutely zero justice. It's the best song of 2016.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby innocenteyes » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:16 am

Well, I'm not too surprised that Enough flopped to be honest. It's not a bad song and the beginning is great but there's something missing. You exepect something big in the chorus and it never happens.
innocenteyes
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts