Jim's Top 40 Songs of 2016 (Finished)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby heppolo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:30 am

I like Halsey and Broods
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Biebz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:14 am

#40 - 30 are flawless, love every single one!
Not a fan of most of #30 - 21, Into You and Cheap Thrills are bops though
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Okay a generous helping of Alessia I like... shame none of her actual songs have appeared in the top 40, my favourite is the bottom of your bubbling under.

Don't you come for my Shawn, he's not bland, you just haven't clicked that Mercy is his best and most personality filled song yet!

I had no idea LA Devotee had a video/was a single? My favourite from their album.

Into You obviously great.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby innocenteyes » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Okay, I'll be fast because it's the third time I'm trying to reply now :lol: .

Sia x 2, Betty Who, Hailee Steinfeld's Straving (surprised it's not higher), Illy/Vera Blue, Coldplay's Hymn For The Weekend, Little Mix, Taylor and Jess Glynne are all good / not bad.

Delta's OK, one of her weakest singles releases IMO. Don't get the fuss around Into You. Find it quite bland for a supposed pop masterpiece. Shawn Mendes is the worst "male singer" to emerge since Bieber.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby SilentDream » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Concerning the "Bubbling Under" songs, I really like "Last Dance", "Sound of Silence" and "Scars to Your Beautiful" - especially the latter one is an amazing song.

"The Greatest" is a nice song and by now I think it's even better than "Cheap Thrills". Maybe the reason for this is that I've heard "Cheap Thrills" too often on the radio.

"Free" is one of my favourite songs on Broods' second album "Conscious". :)

"Hotter Than Hell" is decent, but I think it's the weakest song that Dua Lipa has released so far. "Blow Your Mind (Mwah)", however, is a really good song.

"The River" was the song that made me interested in Delta's most recent album "Wings of the Wild" and I really like that album.

"Into You" is definitely one of the highlights on Ariana's most recent album. :)
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
SilentDream
Manager

Postby Biebz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:14 pm

The title :lol:

You'll have the busiest countdown thread on the forum now with that recommendation!
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Tansike » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:24 pm

42 Hailee Steinfeld - Starving ft Grey & Zedd
44 OneRepublic - Wherever I Go
45 Birdy - Keeping Your Head Up
48 Nick Jonas - Close ft Tove Lo
49 Zayn - Pillowtalk
50 Coldplay - Hymn for the Weekend ft Beyonce

51 Dua Lipa - Last Dance
52 Dami Im - Sound of Silence
53 Calvin Harris - This is What You Came For ft Rihanna
57 Olly Murs - Grow Up
59 Demi Lovato - Body Say
63 Coldplay - Up & Up
65 Shawn Mendes - Mercy
68 Emeli Sande - Hurts
70 Sigma - Find Me ft Birdy
71 Alessia Cara - Scars to Your Beautiful
Lots of great songs on the bubbling under chart. Dami Im's track is incredible, also glad to see the underrated tunes by OneRepublic and Birdy here :)

As for the main countdown - damn, i think i have to agree with Biebz, as apart from your #25 (i don't know that one), i really like or even love all other entries so far :o (so i'm not quoting all the stuff...) "Into You", "The Greatest", "The River", "Wild Horses" (so underrated :cry: ) and especially "Kill Em With Kindness" are all fantastic!
Tansike
Legend

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. If you loved the first twenty, well you'll probably be only disappointed with what is to come :lol:

THE VERONICAS IN MY BLOOD

When this song dropped it, it reminded me of 'Cruel' by Foxes. The thing is, when The Veronicas take on a sound from elsewhere, they usually do better than the source material. 'In My Blood' was the a lead single from as-of-yet unreleased fourth album and a major #1 hit in Australia. The track has a great mix of catchy (but not annoying) chopped vocal effects, atmosphere and evocative lyrics.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:23 pm

SERGEY LAZAREV YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE

Maybe my most "controversial" pick for my top twenty is this gem from Eurovision 2016. Yes, it may be super cheesy, but it is so much fun! This is big, bold, tacky pop music - the kind that is perfect for Eurovision. He's absolutely gorgeous too, so that doesn't hurt. I can't believe Ukraine beat this and Australia to win in the end. The staging during the second half of the live version blew my mind (mwah).
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Biebz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Love In My Blood. It made #20 in my countdown too!
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:41 pm

TOM ODELL HERE I AM

I didn't really care much for Tom Odell's debut album, however, his second album 'Wrong Crowd' has some real gems on it. 'Here I Am' served as the third single and it was a good choice. What these tracks have that his previous ones didn't was pop sensibility - they maintain the quality of the lyrics, but are filled with hooks. The chorus is catchy and I love how the song builds and eventually all layers together neatly at the end.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:46 pm

ALL SAINTS ONE STRIKE

All Saints blessed us with a mostly-great new album in 2016, which stayed true to their roots. Lead single 'One Strike' unfortunately got a rather basic video, probably due to a lack of budget, I don't think NZ X-Factor pays that well. It's a shame though, because it's a fantastic slice of chillout pop. Seriously though, it's a beautiful song and deserved to do better on the charts.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:22 pm

JAMES ARTHUR SAY YOU WON'T LET GO

What a comeback it was when James Arthur got redemption in 2016 with his smash 'Say You Won't Let Go'. Breaking his one-hit wonder status, he went from contract-less alcoholic homophobe to acoustic balladeer, scoring a whopping seven weeks at #1 in Australia. It's such a beautiful and soothing song, I can see this being a staple of AC radio for quite some time, it's like the 2016 'All Of Me'.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:29 pm

DJ SNAKE LET ME LOVE YOU FT JUSTIN BIEBER

Of all the "tropical house" vocal chopping, squeaky noise beatdrop tracks of 2016, and boy were there a few, this was one of the best. The song finds its strength in its melody and it's accompanying dark-ish atmosphere. Although I could only consider it loosely relating to the song, the music video is also very entertaining (you need to watch right until the end!).
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:39 pm

ONEREPUBLIC KIDS

One of the biggest farces of 2016 was this song not being a hit, not even in their usually loyal USA. I think it was perhaps a mistake to not have this as the lead single, as I think 'Wherever I Go' (as much as I like that song) killed any hype they were going to get. None-the-less, I still get to enjoy the track in my personal life I guess. I love the anti-nostalgia of the line "I refuse to look back thinking days were better just because they're younger days", especially give the track on the whole is very nostalgic. It's the best song from the 'Oh My My' album, but there are some other great tracks on there as well worth checking out.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 pm

ROBBIE WILLIAMS LOVE MY LIFE

I saw that Robbie was releasing a new album and thought I'd look into it, I was completely put off by the dire lead single 'Party Like A Russian'. Luckily, through UKMix I did hear that there was a more "classic Robbie" track on the album and that it was going to be the second single. After he visited Australia for promo and this track landed in the top twenty on iTunes, I thought "ok, I better check this out". I have not loved or played a Robbie Williams song as much as this one in many, many years. This is the closest he has come to replicating the golden years (1998 - 2003) of his career. The lyrics are gorgeous and I love the key change at the end.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:52 pm

CHARLIE PUTH & SELENA GOMEZ WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE

As far as popstars go, Charlie Puth is about as unremarkable as Shawn Mendes, it doesn't mean he is incapable of releasing an absolute tune though. I always consider it somewhat risky when popstars decide to release an "easy listening" track as a single, but this one paid off. For what is essentially a sad or bitter song, it's such a pleasant experience to listen to, like getting a musical massage. This arrangement suits both of their soft vocals perfectly and I'm sure this will still sound great in years to come.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:59 pm

THE VERONICAS ON YOUR SIDE

As we headed into the final months of 2016, we thought that maybe, just maybe the "tropical house" sound was going to go away, but nup. The Veronicas were so damn late to the party, but it's like when they rocked up, they brought the birthday cake and strippers. They eclipsed all the other similar sounding songs of the year. It has wonderful story-telling lyrics, an excellent melody and an unusually upbeat beatdrop that doesn't feel out of place despite being upbeat.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Biebz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Let Me Love You is amazing, my #2!

Kids is epic, it didn't deserve to flop :(

We Don't Talk Anymore is a a bop!

YESSSSSSS I'm so happy for On Your Side! I prefer it to In My Blood too!
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:32 am

MEGHAN TRAINOR NO

I wasn't a huge fan of Meghan Trainor in her debut era, doo-wop pop just ain't for me. However, this late 90s throwback was so on-point it had me squealing "yassss" and wishing I was single again so I could reject all the advancing men. It even opens perfectly to signify the change in her style, starting off with a vintage sounding intro before the beat knocks. I did enjoy the song more before the video though, which is pretty poor, as she cannot pull off the "video vixen" vibe. It does make you wonder how good the video would have been had Beyoncé recorded this.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:38 am

DELTA GOODREM HEAVY

I was lucky enough to get to see Delta in concert for the third time in 2016, this time, at the biggest venue I've seen her play (Margaret Court Arena). Despite the lack of usual intimacy, this ballad was still one of those real goosebump moments, it really gets to me. The song builds with expert timing to one hell of a climax, with its Sia 'Alive' style bridge. Maybe one day I'll actually know all the words :lol: Thematically, this is kinda of like a classier version of 'Lucky' by Britney Spears.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:46 am

LADY GAGA MILLION REASONS

From one ballad to another, Lady Gaga absolutely shines on this simple song. The live performances of this have been really good as well, especially the Royal Variety performance with the orchestra, that was beautiful. I really don't like the video, it doesn't do the song justice at all. It would have been better off with a simple video like the one above for 'Heavy'.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:53 am

THE CHAINSMOKERS DON'T LET ME DOWN FT DAYA

The Chainsmokers have a knack for picking the perfect vocalists for their tracks. Daya was probably best known for her single 'Hide Away' which was fairly annoying (albeit catchy) and Daya sounded pretty dire on that one. However, here she sounds fantastic under much more polished production. You can just tell from those opening chords that this song is something special and it establishes the tone and mood so well. Despite what should be a jarring beatdrop and a rather strange music video, it somehow all works together. I think this rises above trends and will likely still sound good in years to come, although the beatdrop may be kind of like listening to 'Titanium' nowadays.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:32 am

THE CHAINSMOKERS CLOSER FT HALSEY

The Chainsmokers followed up 'Don't Let Me Down' with their biggest hit to date, officially the #1 single of 2016 in Australia (and I'm sure other countries as well). Even though the male vocals are a little underwhelming, I adore the song on the whole. It's very well-written, with the interplay between the two characters in the duet. Both the male and female think they are the one taking advantage of the other and feeling pity for them. The repeated "we ain't ever getting older" can be taken much the same as Taylor Swift's "we never go out of style", referring to a couple of people caught in a vicious romantic cycle. Some people dislike the beatdrop, but the simplicity of it that makes it so memorable.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:03 am

ADELE WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE

Adele's '25' is a funny one for me, there are some stellar tracks on there (including this one), but half the album is a real snoozer. 'Water Under The Bridge' is one of the shining moments and one of the best songs she has recorded to date. Adele's voice is so powerful and emotive that her feels bleed through even the lowest quality of mp3s. I think what makes this work so well is the interplay between the main vocals and the layers of backing vocals throughout. I hope (despite the ridiculous album sales) this somehow gets its own moment of chart success like 'Send My Love' did, but hopefully with a better video though...

(soz for linking a live video, that was all that was available on YouTube)
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Return to Year End Personal Charts