Charlie's YEC: Top 100 Singles [#95-91]

Moderator: tdc2000

Postby cdschart » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 am

I'll start this tomorrow with the worst of the year. As for my actual top 100 best countdown, I'm still loading August 2016 into files so that might take a while.
Last edited by cdschart on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cdschart » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 am

Worst Singles 2016

Tracks that weren't allowed to 'chart':
Sweatshirt (Jacob Somethingtorious) - this isn't even music, it's a parody at best so I won't bother wasting time talking about it
JuJu On That Beat (Silento 2.0 and friend) - without streaming this wouldn't have been anything so it's better to forget about it altogether
#WHEREISTHELOVE (will.i.am Feat. Black Peas and Has-beans) - since this is both a charity song and a cover, I'd feel bad including this. Maybe if it was just one of those.... Plus I never heard it on the radio so bonus points 8-)

Not intended to offend btw, it's just my opinion :/
Also included are each artist's historical top peaks with songs (weekly chart)

20. Cold Water - Major Lazer feat. Justin Bieber and MØ
I've been accused of being a Justin hater but I'm really not. In fact, Let Me Love You is probably the best thing he's ever put out. My problem with Cold Water is that it's a collaboration designed to sell records and generate buzz. It combines the worst parts of Major Lazer and Bieber, with MØ's contribution sounding like an afterthought and acting like an attempt to recreate the far superior Lean On.

As a consolation, MØ had two decent sized hits on my actual chart in 2016 (Drum, Final Song) and Bieber had the highest peaking track of his career (Let Me Love You). Not as much good news for Major Lazer; they were unable to replicate the No. 2 year end peak for Lean On in 2015.

Historical peak: Lean On (No. 2; five weeks), Let Me Love You (top 40).

Bieber has one more entry on this year's list.

19. Hands to Myself - Selena Gomez
I do not like Selena Gomez. She has never made a song that interested me outside of Good For You, Naturally and Same Old Love. So when I first listened to Revival -- gotta give things a try, right? -- I found myself absolutely hating this track (and most of the album in general). This was definitely not a surprise.

Hands to Myself is nothing but whispers, whimpers and annoying vocal manipulations in a good looking body.

Historical peak: Good For You (No. 17)

Selena has one more entry on this year's list

18. Ghostbusters (I'm Not Afraid) - Fall Out Boy feat. Missy Elliott
I just can't even believe it. Fall Out Boy, one of my favorite groups, and Missy Elliott, one of the greatest female rappers of all time, should've yielded excellence. Instead, we got a cringeworthy mess of a cover drenched with nauseating new lyrics and an unnecessary rap verse. Way to ruin a classic cinema track.

Historical peak: Centuries (No. 2; eight weeks), Where They From (No. 61)

17. Fake Love - Drake
This Canadian rapper has produced some of the most memorable tracks in recent years and remained consistently solid through the best selling mixtape If You're Reading This It's Too Late. Unfortunately, however, his streak of good music was halted by one of the most overhyped and bland albums of 2016 (Views). But even still, most of those tracks were tolerable. In fact, I was ready to give Drake a pass on that mess of an album until I heard this abomination. This is just downright awful and there's not much else to say.

Historical peak: Hotline Bling, Take Care, Work (all No. 1)

16. Private Show - Britney Spears
Has she learned nothing about releasing stuff like this? What should've been a sexy song is nothing more than an autotuned eyesore stuck in the center of the otherwise decent Glory album. At least she released Just Luv Me, one of the few Britney songs I've genuinely liked in years.

Historical peak: Work B*tch (No. 6)

And in the next batch...
California band with a former personal chart No. 1
Kanye West protégé
The year end Billboard Hot 100 No. 1
Two other main acts that have previously worked together on a song I enjoy

cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby Tansike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm

"Private Show" is probably the worst song i've heard from Britney so far, so i'm glad it's on that list.

Also kinda agree on "Cold Water". Why was this so big?

Love Selena though. Okay, "Hands To Myself" is my least favorite single of "Revival", but i usually love everything she does, so i'm afraid to hear that she'll have more entries on that list... :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby cdschart » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:38 am

15. Tiimmy Turner - Desiigner
If you thought Panda, one of the most annoyingly catchy chart toppers in recent years, was the worst thing newcomer Desiigner could dole out in 2016 you'd be mistaken. Tiimmy Turner is hands down awful, being both repetitive and vocally botched. Steer clear.

Historical peak: Desiigner has never charted, despite getting close with Panda and even closer with that track's unofficial remix (Kanye West's Pt. 2).

14. All We Know - The Chainsmokers Feat. Phoebe Ryan
Anyone that knows me at all knows I hated Closer right out of the gate. And while that song is overplayed, annoying, cheesy, overproduced and sung by one of the worst vocalists to 'debut' this year (Andrew Taggart), follow up track All We Know is MILES worse. In fact, it's just a rip off of its predecessor; same story, different lower budget characters (Halsey ---> Phoebe). Talk about lazy.

Historical peak: Roses (No. 4)

13. Sit Still, Look Pretty - Daya
I wanted to like Daya -- she even made my top 20 with one of summer's biggest bangers -- but she is average (at best) as a soloist. To me this just seems like a song by a one hit wonder that received most of its airplay from Radio Disney. Oh wait... Next.

Historical peak: Don't Let Me Down (No. 14)

12. Love Yourself - Justin Bieber
This is awful and self-absorbed anyway you look at it. The douche-y lyrics, boring 'acoustic' style production and vocals that have no dimension to them make for a rather unpleasant experience. Another weak offering from Bieber. If you're going to release a kiss-off to an ex at least make it like Don't (Ed Sheeran).

And on a related note, this is probably the worst thing Ed Sheeran has ever been involved with; at least he didn't keep it for himself.

Historical peak: Let Me Love You (top 40).

The second and final entry from Bieber

11. Play That Song - Train
Train is quite possibly the most frustrating band of all time. The group seems to have an annoying habit of flip flopping between the ranges of 'excellent' to 'frustrating, mediocre radio filler' with each release. In other words, the Pat Monahan led group is so inconsistent that it's almost better to completely write them off.

Play That Song is proof that the group cares more about charts than actual content. The painfully cliche lyrics, annoying and poorly structured chorus as well as blatantly obvious double entendres are just too much to wrap one's head around. It's sound like Rihanna's Pon De Replay and Train's own Hey, Soul Sister had a baby; a literal nightmare.

Historical peak: Drive By (No. 1!)

And in the next batch...

A now commercially unsuccessful duo with two former personal chart No. 1s
A fame hungry (?) ex-band member
A meh actress turned bad vocalist
The most emo-tumblr song of all time (or at least of 2016)
and
An American band with FIVE former No. 1s making their first appearance on a year end worst list -- oh how the mighty have fallen
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cdschart » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:02 am

Tansike wrote:"Private Show" is probably the worst song i've heard from Britney so far, so i'm glad it's on that list.

Also kinda agree on "Cold Water". Why was this so big?

Love Selena though. Okay, "Hands To Myself" is my least favorite single of "Revival", but i usually love everything she does, so i'm afraid to hear that she'll have more entries on that list... :oops:
Well it won't be your favorite Selena track from 2016 so there's some good news :lol:
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby Biebz » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Cold Water, Hands to Myself, Love Yourself and All We Know are all great songs you flop!
retro sensibility with a futuristic flare
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby cdschart » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Biebz wrote:Cold Water, Hands to Myself, Love Yourself and All We Know are all great songs you flop!
At least someone thinks so :lol:
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cdschart » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:29 pm

10. Spoons - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Feat. Ryan Bedard
Truly one of the most awful songs to ever be released. Thankfully this received no airplay due to the fact that literally everyone that's ever heard it hates it. A song about spooning and taking sh*ts on the toilet? Basically the final nail in the coffin that was Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' (brief) career.

Historical peak: Thrift Shop and Can't Hold Us (both No. 1).

09. Starving - Hailee Steinfeld & Grey Feat. Zedd
Congrats Hailee, you've managed a top 10 finish on my WOTY list twice in a row! Despite the fact that here are tolerable elements of this atrocity, the awful configuration is what really tank this out. The acoustic pop intro is fairly promising but when those cheesy lyrics start rolling and that annoying autotune drenched breakdown settles in, the whole thing gets blown to hell. How do you go from an equally awful song about 'loving' yourself to begging for love within the span of a year? And don't get me started on those vocals. Man this girl couldn't sing to save her life.

Historical peak: Zedd has gone to No. 2 with Clarity, Hailee has never charted and neither has Grey although I'm not quite sure what/who they are.

08. i hate u, i love u - gnash Feat. Olivia O'Brien
O'Brien's parts are already so whiny and annoying you'd think nothing could make this track worse. Well there is something: gnash's half-baked 'rap/sing' verses, which make up the majority of this emo-tumblr-hippie-relatable mess.

Historical peak: Neither have charted.

07. Bad Things - Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello
Only one white rapper/pop girl combo was worse than gnash/Olivia in 2016: Machine Gun Kelly and Camila Cabello of Fifth Harmony. Bad Things, Camila's first major single as a solo artist, brings out the worst in each of its contributors. MGK delivers watered down, uneasy verses that dredge on and go nowhere with Camila's horrid tone covering the obviously sex related hook. The fact that she left 5H to embark on solo efforts like this...

Despite being annoying on all fronts, this isn't the worst thing to come out of 2016 and is ranked higher due to constant airplay.

Historical peak: Neither have ever charted as a part of group or otherwise.

06. Don't Wanna Know - Maroon 5 Feat. Kendrick Lamar
Ahh, one of 2016's biggest sell outs. Maroon 5, a group with five No. 1's on my personal chart, collaborating with someone like Kendrick, who scored four top 10s in 2016 alone (six entries in 2016 total), should've been magic. It should've been a Payphone 2.0 moment. Instead, Don't Wanna Know is Maroon 5 at its weakest. Lazily produced with sloppy, repetitive lyrics, a watered down tropical beat replacing the actual band members and one of Kendrick's weakest verses of all time makes for an overall mess.

I could defend them through over pop-focused moments (mainly Overexposed and parts of V), but can't anymore. If Adam wants to continue releasing garbage like this he should do it on his own rather than kill the reputation of this once beloved pop-rock band.

Historical peak: Payphone, One More Night, Love Somebody, It Was Always You and Maps all reached No. 1.

And in the final batch...

One of the biggest hit and miss female artists around
A band with a special character in their name known for collaborating with a female artist with a special character in her name
Young M.A.
A Danish group
A songwriter turned meh popstar
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cdschart » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:37 am

5. My D*ck - 3OH!3
The fact that atrocities like this are still being made in today's day and age is just bonkers! I thought we left both 3OH!3 and this style of trashy, repetitive and overly sexual pop-rap stuff in the 2000s. I guess not...

Historical peak: Nothing has charted

4. Ooouuu - Young M.A.
What is she saying? What is going on? How do you pronounce the title? Nobody knows for sure yet enough people bought it to make it top 20 for multiple weeks. So there's that going for Young M.A. I guess. Skip it.

Historical peak: That's a no-no

3. Mama Said - Lukas Graham
Is this a case of mama said this and mama said that? I'm fairly confused I thought 7 Years was about stuff mama said (?) Does mama really deserve another track dedicated to her? No? Ok, sure let's give her one anyway 8-)

In all seriousness though, this took whatever sentimental value 7 Years had and put it in a mainstream blender. KEEP THIS AWAY! And yes this one was actually released in 2014 (before 7 Years) but it's here anyway. Deal with it.

Historical peak: No. 37 with 7 Years

2. We Don't Talk Anymore - Charlie Puth Feat. Selena Gomez
I have nothing to say about this other than: Charlie was fishing for a hit and he got one by taking his already weak artistic integrity and watering it down for the purposes of mainstream airplay.

Historical peak: Selena has made it to No. 17 (Good For You) and Charlie made the list with the underrated Nothing But Trouble and the meh Marvin Gaye with Meghan Trainor. I do not recall either peak and don't care to look them up

and speaking of Meghan....

...drum-roll...

the worst, most annoying, awful, overplayed and downright ridiculous song of 2016 is...

1. Me Too - Meghan Trainor
Sigh. The moment I heard this track I knew it'd make my year-end worst list. However, I didn't ever anticipate it taking the top 'honor' by ranking at No. 1. Well I did around November-December time when releases were winding down for the year but I was hoping something would surpass it. Why? Because the song's really not that bad? No it's still awful, hideously produced, lazily written and overall a solidly douche-y song. It really was the worst song of the year.

The reason is because Trainor as an artist had what I would call a string of defining moments this year. She released what's clearly the best track of her entire career (No), won a Grammy that no one thought she'd end up with (I mean she didn't deserve it but that's a story for another time) and even spoke out against her label for altering her appearance in a music video.

But anyway here we are.

cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cdschart » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 am

UP NEXT

> TOP 100 SINGLES OF 2016 + BUBBLING UNDER

STILL TO COME

* TOP ALBUMS OF 2016
* TOP 10 MOST PLAYED ALBUMS OF 2016
* TOP 20 ARTISTS OF 2016
* CDS-AWARDS
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cdschart » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:01 am

Now that the worst of countdown is finally out of the way we can get onto the good stuff.

I finished importing all of my past charts into my database and finally have my Year End 2016 Hot 100 finalized. Over the course of the year, 267 tracks entered my weekly Hot 75. Based on my 'unique' system, which counts 51 points - position + 0.01x the weeks on chart for the top 50 and a more randomized scheme for the bottom 25, over 70,800 points were awarded total.

The top 100 is determined by overall point totals by longevity, not by total plays. For example, if a track received 400 plays in week one but none in any other weeks, it would only get credit for the one week it made the top 75. A track that was consistent in plays and finished the year with 400, would receive infinitely more points.

The year end No. 1 track scored a 7x platinum certification, landing somewhere between 1425-1450 points. An additional 14 tracks made at least a platinum certification for a total of 15 tracks landing past 1000 points. In total the top 53 songs got to 500 points, enough for a gold certification.
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cdschart » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:35 am

CHARLIE'S 2016 YEAR END HOT 100 COUNTDOWN

Let's start with the ten songs that almost made the countdown. I will post the other bubbling tracks in chunks as the countdown continues. Graphic coming soon.

BUBBLING UNDER (110-101)

> 110 - Love Me - The 1975
> 109 - A-YO - Lady Gaga
> 108 - Uma Thurman - Fall Out Boy
> 107 - All Night - Beyoncé
> 106 - Alive - Sia
> 105 - Jumpman - Drake & Future
> 104 - She Sets the City On Fire - Gavin DeGraw
> 103 - Body Moves - DNCE
> 102 - Right Hand - Drake
> 101 - Rockabye - Clean Bandit Feat. Sean Paul and Anne-Marie
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cdschart » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:55 am

CHARLIE'S 2016 YEAR END HOT 100 COUNTDOWN (100-96)

100. Love On the Brain - Rihanna
Peak: 16 | Weeks On: 18 | Points: 226.71| All Time: #444 | Certification: N/A

Squeaking into the final spot on this year's countdown is surprisingly a Rihanna track -- surprising in the fact that it's not ranked higher. Perhaps it's just getting started? When I finished my first listen of ANTI, this was admittedly the first track I re-played. There's just something so powerful about that vocal performance! The doo-wop elements, the Etta James-Amy Winehouse vocal influences and beautiful production combine for a truly memorable experience. This track, in my eyes, shut down the recurring argument around Rihanna's true vocal ability and will likely go down in history as one of her greatest efforts in her entire career.

At its peak of No. 16 on the final chart of 2016, expect this to rise higher into next year's countdown.

The first of five entires from Rihanna

99. I Feel It Coming - The Weeknd Feat. Daft Punk
Peak: 11(2) | Weeks On: 6 | Points: 227.21| All Time: #443| Certification: N/A

The first of The Weeknd's tracks to fall this year is quite possibly the best one. "I Feel It Coming", a stunning slow bubbling disco-R&B jam, gets everything right. There's just enough sexiness, just enough passion and just the right combination of disco and feel good, slow-jam R&B. A wonderfully creative and immensely entertaining listen. Sure "Starboy" was a great first collaboration between Abel the biggest forces in electronic music Daft Punk, but "I Feel It Coming" managed outstrip it in every dimension. For sure, one of the best mainstream-friendly offerings from the Canadian vocalist.

At its peak of No. 11 on the final chart of 2016, expect this to rise higher on next year's countdown.

The first of five entires from The Weeknd and the first of two from Daft Punk

98. Last Dance - Dua Lipa
Peak: 28 | Weeks On: 30 | Points: 227.65| All Time: #442| Certification: N/A

At No. 98 we find the lowest peaking track to make the top 100. What I would consider the track that interested me in Dua Lipa, "Last Dance" had somewhat of a troubling chart run. Failing to gain much traction due to lack of external popularity (ie. I didn't hear it anywhere), "Last Dance" spent a lot of its time in the bottom positions of the chart. But there's something so captivating about it, something that hooked me back listen after listen. It finally made it up to No. 28 before tumbling out within a month, possibly due to the growth of Dua's own "Hotter Than Hell".

The first of two entries from Dua Lipa

97. Don't Let Me Down - The Chainsmokers Feat. Daya
Peak: 14 | Weeks On: 22 | Points: 238.65| All Time: #430 | Certification: N/A

I don't like Daya. I'm not big on The Chainsmokers either. But with that being said, every component of this track seemed to fit so perfectly. Not only did it make good use of Daya's decent vocal -- which is normally attached to basic Disney-esque pop staples -- it also managed to make a simple electro drop into something radio fans looked forward to hearing. This initially caught on slowly with me, later catapulting into the top 20 for a brief time. However, the radio's consistent knack for overplaying tracks with even the slightest amount of public approval quickly got the best of it; it flew off the chart faster than it took off and failed to follow in the footsteps of the platinum certified "Roses" from 2015.

The first of two entries from the Chainsmokers and Daya's only entry

96. All Night - Chance the Rapper Feat. Knox Fortune
Peak: 25 | Weeks On: 24 | Points: 238.99| All Time: #429 | Certification: N/A

Similar to what happened with "Last Dance" (No. 98 year end), "All Night" became Chance the Rapper's 'breakthrough' hit on my chart. I'd heard of him before (from Acid Rap) and even listened to Coloring Book enough for it to reach No. 1 on my album's chart, but it wasn't until I decided to playlist highlights from the Coloring Book mixtape that I finally started to appreciate "All Night" as a stand alone offering. It (like "Last Dance") spent most of its time climbing, finally making it to No. 25 without any external influences. Without a doubt one of the smartest, most accessible rap tracks of 2016 as well as one of the best album tracks I heard all year. Although, now that it's Chance's next radio single (released in 2017) I suppose that comment is worth-less. Based on how much I've heard since its single release, I'm expecting a re-entry.

and in the next batch...
> A Billboard Hot 100 No. 1
> One of 2016's biggest female collaborations
> The weakest single ever released by a certain British female
> One of the strongest album tracks released in 2016
> Promotional single turned moderate hit
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby cdschart » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:29 pm

CHARLIE'S 2016 YEAR END HOT 100 COUNTDOWN (95-91)

95. Side to Side - Ariana Grande Feat. Nicki Minaj
Peak: 10 | Weeks On: 19| Points: 251.9 | All Time: #421 | Certification: Silver

At No. 95 we find the first of Ariana Grande's tracks to fall. Like some of the other tracks covered earlier, "Side to Side" had a troubling chart run. I initially deemed it an album stand out, which caused it to chart for several weeks and reach a peak of No. 66. When it finally was released as a single, however, it struggled to go much higher due to lyrical content. My comparisons of it to other Dangerous Woman singles didn't help either. What did? Radio exposure.

"Side to Side" eventually reached the No. 10 spot on the final chart of 2016, after months of climbing. And despite its content and Nicki's borderline ridiculous verse, this track is without a doubt one of the catchiest trop-pop singles of the year, a sub-genre that birthed some of 2016 worst tracks.

The first of three entires from Ariana Grande. Nicki's only entry and only charting song of 2016

94. Feet Don't Fail Me Now - Foxes
Peak: 22(2) | Weeks On: 20* | Points: 253.19 | All Time: #403 | Certification: Silver

Foxes had a great 2015. She notched her first No. 1 single on the weekly chart with "Body Talk" (which lasted on the chart for a full year) and followed with the No. 6 peaking "Better Love". Unfortunately the sudden momentum she had went out the window thanks to increasingly weak single choices and a poor album roll out. "Feet Don't Fail Me Now" got stuck in that rut, peaking at No. 22 in the first two weeks of 2016 and free-falling shortly after. One of the year's most uplifting tracks with strong verses and a killer chorus and bridge. No. 162 in 2015.

*Charted for 4 weeks in 2015 for a total of 24.

The first of two entries from Foxes

93. On My Mind - Ellie Goulding
Peak: 3 | Weeks On: 13* | Points: 260.86| All Time: #137| Certification: Gold
2015 Year End Rank: #49

Ellie Goulding is one of my favorite female artists currently out, but even now and again she releases something less than great. To me, this is one of her weakest efforts ever. "On My Mind" isn't even a bad song though, it's just bad for Ellie. The whole execution seems a little bit forced and too mainstream for someone like Ellie, and obviously way below what she's proven to be capable of creating (ex: Halycon). The infinitely better "Something In the Way You Move" should've been the lead instead.

*Charted for 15 weeks in 2015 for a total of 28.

The first of four entries from Ellie Goulding

92. I Wanna Be - Katy B Feat. Chris Lorenzo
Peak: 21 | Weeks On: 18 | Points: 267.71| All Time: #414 | Certification: Silver

I absolutely love this track. Katy B has been either experimental or radio friendly in the past and never in the middle... until "I Wanna Be" came along. On this offering Katy shows she can carefully manage and merge two very distinct styles into one without undermining one or the other. To me, this is a pure club track that could've perfectly fit on radio with no changes which is incredibly rare. If only the public had liked her polarizing album Honey just a tad more, we might've seen this make its way to the BBC's playlist.

The first of two entries from Katy B and Chris Lorenzo's only entry

91. One Dance - Drake Feat. WizKid & Kyla
Peak: 15 | Weeks On: 23 | Points: 271.76| All Time: #412 | Certification: Silver

I loved this at first, playing it nearly nonstop for several hours the day it came out. But after a certain point the more I heard it, the more I disliked it. Within a week of release it was clear that the radio was going to embrace this more than I was willing to and I soon removed it from my playlist. It continued to bounce around, ultimately peaking at No. 15 and lasting for 23 weeks.

The first of two entries from Drake (his only as a lead)

and in the next batch...
> The lead single from one of my 10 favorites albums of 2016
> A rap track with gosepl/faith elements (!)
> The second worst single ever released by a certain American 'rock' band
> A dancehall offering that rips off a 90s reggae hook
> A 2015 holdover that makes clever use of a classic 60s pop hook
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Return to Year End Personal Charts