Amy Studt - Misfit
44%
Bluetones - Never Going Nowhere
22%
Beautiful South - Just A Few Things That I Ain't
11%

Total votes : 9

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:39 pm

Okay - just staking my claim in here. I'll be starting this tomorrow, as my top 20 are so good, I don't want to reveal more than 2 per day, and yet I still want to get the others down in no rush.

So, the first question is... who do people think will be my number one?

I've conducted a poll of a few people on MSN, and we've got 10 choices to choose from.

In the poll, I've put them in chronological order to help people associate them with me ;-)
Last edited by matthew_dixon on Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:25 pm

I'm not entirely sure about this... and I'm probably wrong, but I voted for The Darkness "I Believe In A Thing Called Love".
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby eamezey » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:39 pm

I'm gonna say Mad World - cos It was me that provided it to you ;)
eamezey
Manager

Postby Tiger » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:42 pm

Gonna go with Bluetones - Never Going Nowhere
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Muzikritik » Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:33 pm

I'd have to say Mad World too. I know you've only been listening for a couple of months but you seemed to give it brilliant reviews!
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Terence » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:36 pm

"Misfit"?

I'm unsure though! :-?
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby google » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:24 pm

oh this has gotta be stephanie kirkham... hasnt it? :o
I know there’s a blue horizon
Somewhere up ahead just waiting for me
But getting there means leaving things behind
google
Manager

Postby ollie44 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:27 pm

I voted Misfit - didn't think it would be Mad World cos that's only just been released and although you obviously like it I'm guessing Amy is more your bag. Is there a prize for getting it right?

*keeps fingers crossed for that red Ferrari I've always wanted*
ollie44
Superstar

Postby John » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:53 pm

I voted for the one that seems blindingly obvious to me... Athlete. (Surprised I'm the only one so far though.)
This post is highly unlikely to be serious. Please treat it accordingly. Unless it's music-related, in which case I'm damn well right.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby BadRapture » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:39 am

I thought it had to be Athlete but I know ya like Amy as well. Ah I'll close my eyes and choose one.........OK, it landed closer to Amy 8-)
She don't like that kind of behaviour.
So thrown down your guns,
Don't be so reckless.
BadRapture
Manager

Postby TextMonkey » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:46 am

It has to be Mad World, surely?

Mainly because:

MD wrote:Just thought I would add to a topic about what is possibly the greatest song ever!
A great song.

A great, great song.

A great, great, great song.

Well, it's quite good anyway.
For every chance you take, spare a thought for the thousands you don't!
TextMonkey
Personal Assistant

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:01 am

Some interesting suggestions there - most songs have been picked by at least someone.

Anyway... I think we should get counting down :D

If you're expecting any of these in my list...
Stands - I Need You
Killer Mike feat. Big Boi - A.D.I.D.A.S.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop
Macy Gray - When I See You
All American Rejects - Swing Swing
Coral - Don't Think You're The First
Kaci - I'm Not Anybody's Girl
Madonna - Hollywood
Damien Rice - Cannonball
Audio Bullys - We Don't Care
Lemonescent - Unconditional Love
DMX - X Gon' Give It To Ya
DJ Format featuring Abdominal - The Hit Song
DJ Sneak - Fix My Sink
Rosie Ribbons - A Little Bit
Moloko - Familiar Feeling
Tim Burgess - Only A Boy
I Am Kloot - Life In A Day
Blur - Out Of Time
Melanie C - Melt
Erlend Oye - Sudden Rush
Cooper Temple Clause - Blind Pilots
Dario G - Heaven Is Closer (Feels Like Heaven)

then don't, because they all miss my entire top 200 :o .

We start off with a song that flopped, but we all know one of the group involved ;-)

200. Stagecoach featuring Penny Foster (and Adam Robson) - Angel Looking Through
A beautiful ballad. A charity record. Plus it had our Adam in the choir to boot 8-)

199. Panjabi MC - Mudian To Bach Ke (Beware Of The Boys)
The only bhangra entry in my chart is this classic from January

198. Good Charlotte - Girls and Boys
Two more Good Charlotte songs to come - and they're both much higher than this song with a hilarious video.

197. Turin Brakes - Average Man
Well, it was rather average for Turin Brakes - but still, what's "average" for the Brakes would be bloody amazing for anyone else 8-)

196. Siobhan Donaghy - Overrated
First of two entries for Siobhan - the other one will be much higher - but just how high?

195. John Cale - Things
This song from the former Velvet Underground member plagued me for weeks in October/November time stuck on a listening post I checked. It's a beautiful and very simple song.

194. Million Dan - Dogz 'n' Sledgez
A really cool garage anthem there from Million Dan - a man with a hilarious voice. Shame it flopped though :(

193. Kings Of Leon - Molly's Chambers
They might be one of the biggest new bands of the year, but this is the highest that the Kings Of Leon get on my chart, with this really classy garage rock anthem.

192. Har Mar Superstar - E-Z Pass
The guy famed for performing in the nude and not exactly having the body for it, the Har Mar Superstar makes an entry at 192 with this laid back funk joint from the early summer

191. Black Box Recorder - The School Song
Black Box Recorder! *clapclap*clapclap*clap* Black Box Recorder! *clapclap*clapclap*clap*! This is dedicated to our king and queen of indie, Skelo and Pippa, who are both massive BBR fans. A really good BBR song - I must get round to checking out one of their albums some time.

190. Beyonce Knowles featuring Jay-Z - Crazy In Love
Uh-oh-uh-oh-uh-oh-banana :o . Yes, it's "that" song, with "that" video that's bound to be a damn sight higher on most people's charts ;-)

189. Delta Goodrem - Innocent Eyes
For me, Delta's singles have got progressively worse this year, so "Not Me, Not I" fails to make this list, and this is the lowest of the other three. She's got an amazing voice though, and just how high will "Born To Try" get?

188. Moloko - Forever More
The first of two entries on my chart for the Sheffield dance band

187. Darren Hayes - Crush (1980 Me)
:oops: Okay - so I'm kind of embarrassed to say I really like this song, but it's just so insanely catchy. The 80s came back to life with this, Darren's best solo offering by far 8-)

186. Wildhearts - Stormy In The North, Karma In The South
Proving that there can be heavy-ish rock on my best chart as well as my worst, here's an amazing rock song from the Wildhearts - a band who hardly anyone outside their fanbase seems to care about

185. Masai - Do That Thang
Now this low entry might surprise some people, but I've really gone off this song. It stayed around my personal chart for ages - but that was largely down to the fact that I liked their previous work. This was disappointing in comparison

184. Girls Aloud - Life Got Cold
The only entry in my top 200 for Girls Aloud is this one which sounds suspiciously like "Wonderwall" at times. Now that's something that can only be a good thing :wink:

183. Goldfrapp - Strict Machine
Two Goldfrapp songs make it into my list, and here's the first one. "Strict Machine" shows off their quirky dance style brilliantly, but just how high will their other one get, and will that be "Twist" or "Train"?

182. Foo Fighters - Times Like These
Another act with only one entry in this years chart - this offering from the start of the year is the highest the Foo Fighters get on my list for this year, meaning they're rather oddly beaten by...

181. Emma Bunton - Maybe
Getting in entirely on the song alone is Emma Bunton. Had this been sung by someone with a stronger voice, it could have contended for my top 100. However, it was one of those songs that just got stuck in your head and wouldn't go away

180. Milk and Sugar - Let The Sunshine In
A late summer dance anthem here, courtesy of Milk and Sugar. You either love it or hate it. I loved it :D

179. Dysfunctional Psychedelic Waltons - Payback Time
Due to the lack of Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster in my countdown, these guys get the "Where the **** did you come up with that name from?" award for this year :lol:. They're actually connected to Moloko, and I think I'm right that Roisin from the band provided vocals on this sleazy dance track from the start of the year.

178. Lost Brothers - Cry Little Sister (I Need U Now)
Anthem alert! Yes, it's three dance offerings in a row, and the third of them is this one from the Lost Brothers which is out this week. A true hands-in-the-air trance anthem if ever I saw one.

177. Nelly featuring Justin Timberlake - Work It
Yes, you can believe your eyes, this is the first of two tracks to credit Justin Timberlake and yet make my best chart of the year. No more Nelly ones though, as "Iz U" is awful! :lol:

176. The Coral - Pass It On
aaaaand there go the Coral. They're very good, I've enjoyed their songs, particularly the first two, but they're not good enough to break into my top 175.

I'll continue this tonight with 175-151.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Tiger » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:24 am

Big yay for Masai! Wonder where they went :-?
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby McDreams » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:28 am

Woo for Delta and Beyonce, shame they're so low though :cry:
Can't make decisions, I could use some more distractions today..
McDreams
Manager

Postby martinp » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:41 pm

Woooo for Darren Hayes :D

I think Beautiful South will be #1 :wink:
martinp
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:22 pm

Woo for Good Charlotte, Panjabi MC, Beyonce, Delta, Girls Aloud, and Foo Fighters!

Good Charlotte, Beyonce, and Foo Fighters will appear in my list too.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:00 pm

Okay - shall we continue this? We're sooooo low down that we need to get things out of the way quite fast at first.

175. Delta Goodrem - Lost Without You
Song number two for Delta is now gone, but "Born To Try" is still to come

174. Supergrass - Seen The Light
Well here's the mighty Supergrass - a classic indie band, but maybe not on ultimate form this year.

173. Default - Wasted My Time
Well here's this year's second highest entry for Chad Kroeger - and it's as producer of this track by new soft-rock band. Sadly it got absolutely nowhere in the UK

172. David Sneddon - Stop Living The Lie
The only hit in my list for Mr Sneddon. However, how high has second winner Alex Parks got?

171. Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Mixed Up World
Here's Sophie's only song of the year - but expect "I Won't Change You" to be quite a bit higher next year ;-)

170. Mark Joseph - Fly
Here's the first of two singles from Mark Joseph in the list, but just how high has his other song "Get Through" got?

169. Meat Loaf - Man Of Steel
Here's another first-of-two offering. Just how high will "Couldn't Have Said It Better (Myself)" get?

168. Kealer - Missing For Days
Here's Kealer - but where's Keane ;-)

167. Mis-teeq - Style
Here's the first of the three Mis-teeq songs - but how high are the other two?

166. Super Furry Animals - Golden Retriever
A classic video this - but they've had much better songs in my opinion

165. Tantalize - Body Rockin'
A really good original pop song here - taking the tune from the "Fiddler on the Roof" classic "If I Were A Rich Man" and putting it to an urban style. It worked well, but really badly flopped.

164, Des'ree - It's OK
Big fan of the "Supernatural" album, so it was a shame that this wasn't anywhere near as good. She's still really good though ;-)

163. Mis-teeq - Can't Get It Back
Here's another of the Mis-teeq hits. So only "Scandalous" to come - but how high is it?

162. Busted - You Said No (Crash and Burn)
When polling people to see what they thought would be top 10 - someone actually suggested this one :-? . All of the other Busted songs are much better and appear higher up this list.

161. Craig David - Hidden Agenda
The only Craig David entry for this year is at 161. Sorry, but his other ones have all been a bit bland.

160. Benny Benassi presents the Biz - Satisfaction
Classic dance anthem. Classic video :lol: . You either loved this or hated it. I loved it :D

159. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Universally Speaking
and this is the last entry for the Chilli Peppers. Again, they've been really good, but there's been better.

158. Fabolous featuring Mike Shorey and Lil' Mo - Can't Let You Go
Here's another classic urban song. The followup was awful, but this was cool.

157. DJ Sammy - The Boys Of Summer
:oops: I dunno what I really like about this one, but I do :oops: . Neeeext

156. Pink featuring William Orbit - Feel Good Tiem
A classic one off hit from Pink in the middle of the year here, so much better than "Trouble".

155. White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
I'm sure someone might like this one ;-) . A classic rock track that was massively successful and deservedly so

154. Jennifer Lopez featuring LL Cool J - All I Have
Another one that someone might like ;-) . I said J-Lo would make my best chart, and here she is.

153. Free*Land - We Want Your Soul
A really alternative dance tune here from Adam Freeland and his band. Hope to hear more from them this year.

152. Graffiti - What Is The Problem?
A somewhat less lyrical offering, but rumoured to be the work of Mike Skinner (aka the Streets). Not as good as his Streets work - but still really good.

151. The Donnas - Who Invited You?
This was one CD I was really glad to receive this year to review. A classic song from a great girl rock band 8-)
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby martinp » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:14 pm

Wooooos for Delta x2
Pink
Mis-Teeq
Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Jennifer Lopez

and Busted :o
martinp
Legend

Postby Terence » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:38 pm

Time for comment time from T! :D

OK, first, damn for this missing out...

Madonna - Hollywood :cry:

Anyway, life goes on - the top 200. :D

Woo for these:
190. Beyonce Knowles featuring Jay-Z - Crazy In Love
189. Delta Goodrem - Innocent Eyes
185. Masai - Do That Thang
181. Emma Bunton - Maybe
175. Delta Goodrem - Lost Without You (her best IMO)
172. David Sneddon - Stop Living The Lie (:lol: after alomst a year, I love it now!) Still, no match for the astounding "Best Of Order"
161. Craig David - Hidden Agenda
157. DJ Sammy - The Boys Of Summer
156. Pink featuring William Orbit - Feel Good Time
155. White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
154. Jennifer Lopez featuring LL Cool J - All I Have (wooooooooooooooooooo! 8-) Might say she's low but knowing you, it's great to heave her in at the very least! :lol: )

Boo for these:

199. Panjabi MC - Mudian To Bach Ke (Beware Of The Boys)
183. Goldfrapp - Strict Machine
180. Milk and Sugar - Let The Sunshine In
176. The Coral - Pass It On
160. Benny Benassi presents the Biz - Satisfaction ()agree about the video though... as much as I dispise the song, I love the video! I play it a lot with the volume mute!)
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:14 pm

Woo for Delta (again, but I must disagree with you there - I actually think she gets better with every new single), Default, Craig David, Benny Benassi, Fabolous, DJ Sammy, White Stripes, The Donnas, and especially Pink and J-Lo!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Virgostar » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:34 pm

Yay for Delta x2, Beyonce, White Stripes and Ms Donaghy! Btw, Delta's singles haven't got progressively worse IMO....they haven't exactly got better either, but I hope you like Predictable when you hear it, she's ended on a strong note (and that's no pun :lol: )....
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:08 pm

matthew_dixon wrote:We start off with a song that flopped, but we all know one of the group involved ;-)

200. Stagecoach featuring Penny Foster (and Adam Robson) - Angel Looking Through
A beautiful ballad. A charity record. Plus it had our Adam in the choir to boot 8-)

Wooooo! Will this be the only ever time a UKMixer makes a top 200 singles of the year list? :lol:
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:18 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:Wooooo! Will this be the only ever time a UKMixer makes a top 200 singles of the year list? :lol:
I'm not too sure... maybe someone will include one of loopdaloop_69's songs in their list.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby matthew_dixon » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:24 am

Well by the end of today I want to be down to the top 100 :o so better get a move on ;-)

150. Jody Lei - Showdown
Sadly Jody never did get a second hit, but this was so insanely catchy - how could you fail to love it?

149. Lemonescent - Help Me Mama
Sadly the album just didn't sell for some reason :-? . This was a reasonable single, but not a patch on "Beautiful", their smaller hit from last year. So, there goes the highest entry from the girl group with the most fiercely loyal fans in the world :lol:

148. Badly Drawn Boy - All Possibilities
Damon Gough can never put a foot wrong, and he certainly doesn't on this song, but there's rather amazingly 147 better ones out there from this year :o

147. George Harrison - Any Road
Ahhhh - this is a classic song - shame it flopped. A really simple song taken from the album he just finished before he died, showing the ex-Beatle hadn't lost any of his sparkle

146. Kym Marsh - Come On Over
Try as hard as I could not to, I had to concede in the end that Kym Marsh's solo work was actually really good. This is the first of the three to go - but the other two are much higher - the only question is just how much?

145. Hot Hot Heat - Bandages
"Bandages on my legs and my arms from you! Bandages, bandages, bandages!" :lol: . This song was certainly unique. Sadly no-one really cared about "No, Not Now" and the other followups

144. Louise - Pandora's Kiss
Ahhh - this was a really good comeback. One of the pop highlights of the year was Louise returning - and returning in such fine form. ;-)

143. Heartless Crew - Why?
So simple, so singable, such a really good reggae-pop song to sing along to. It bugged me for a while on U Music TV and got me completely hooked.

142. Busted - Crashed The Wedding
Well, here's the second Busted song. I didn't like this one at first for some reason - but now I think it's brilliant :D. Just how high will their other two hits come?

141. Busted - Sleeping With The Light On
Well here's your first answer, as it's back-to-back Busted songs. This song just had to be sung to whenever it was on 8-). Just how high is "Year 3000" though? ;-)

140. Turin Brakes - Pain Killer
Ahhh - this is a modern classic. The Turin Brakes never fail to disappoint, and this is a damn cool song from them.

139. Stellastarr* - Somewhere Across Forever
Something tells me John likes this song ;-). So, he was going on about it for so long, that I finally decided to check it out - and it's just as good as he makes it out to be :D.

138. Vanessa Carlton - Pretty Baby
Arguably this really was about the third best single from the "Be Not Nobody" album - but that didn't mean it was anywhere near as good as "A Thousand Miles" ;-). One more entry still to come that features Vanessa - and that should be very high.

137. Good Charlotte - Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous
Such poignant funny lyrics. "Lifestyles of the rich and the famous. They're always complaining - always complaining. If money is such a problem, then they've got mansions - do you think we should rob them?" Still got "The Anthem" to come :)

136. Keane - This Is The Last Time
Landing a whole 32 places higher than Kealer are Keane - the second of our "Next Big Thing" feature acts. Another really good indie song - another act we could be hearing much more from next year.

135. Morcheeba featuring Big Daddy Kane - What's Your Name?
Taken from their really cool greatest hits album they had out this summer - this surprisingly up-tempo offering from Morcheeba was maybe not the band at their finest, but was nevertheless a damn fine song.

134. Daniel Bedingfield - Never Gonna Leave Your Side
For god sake don't be expecting "I Can't Read You" or "Friday" in here - but this ballad is for me Daniel's finest work yet - and whilst I initially hated it, one live performance from him on TV made me realise that he has serious talent and this song is totally amazing.

133. Madonna - American Life
and this is as high as Madge gets for this year. It was a very good song - a deserved success - but there's still 132 out there that I prefer. (Oh, and in answer to your question Terence - "All I Have" would have been higher if it wasn't such a good year - I didn't want to remove it so early on, but I had to.

132. Black Eyed Peas - Shut Up
The current No. 2 is a real grower of a song. At first I hated it, now I love it. Obviously, "Where Is The Love" is much higher - but just how high?

131. Starsailor - Born Again
Another year, and more Starsailor. This song was a very decent second single from their latest album and it really didn't deserve the flop it got.

130. Aqualung - Brighter Than Sunshine
I'm sure Tom will like these past two. Here's Matt Hales's only appearance on my chart with a really top notch indie ballad.

129. Goldfrapp - Train
It's the traiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiain! This is my favourite Goldfrapp release to date by far - and it was a well deserved break into the mainstream for them. Incredibly cool sleazy indie dance track 8-)

128. Royksopp - Eple
From one original dance act to another. "Poor Leno" missed my 100 last year, and sadly "Eple" does the same this year. I really do like Royksopp - I find them really refreshing and original - however they never can quite make my top 100 :(

127. Fatman Scoop featuring the Crooklyn Clan - Be Faithful
I first heard this song in 1999, and it's been kicking around ever since. I've always thought of it as a top notch club track - but then I saw Record Of The Year and Fatman's amazing performance of it, and suddenly it took on a new life for me. Now if only he'd remember to keep his shirt on, we'd all be happy :lol:

Now for a moment that will shock at least 2 people.

126. Mark Ronson featuring Nate Dogg and Ghostface Killah - Ooh Wee
When I asked what my favourite songs of the year were, there were actually 2 people who suggested this song :o . So, maybe I'm forgetting how much I like it? It's a really funny singalong rap song, true, and it's one of my favourite rap joints of the whole year, however it only lands at 126. I just assumed this would be safely inside my top 100 of the year, but when I was counting down from 125 to 101, it was getting impossible, as I felt they all should have made my top 100.

Well, that's me signing out from this section with an almighty...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby McDreams » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:26 am

Woooooooooo for Vanessa - Pretty Baby. One of my fave songs :D
Can't make decisions, I could use some more distractions today..
McDreams
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts