44%
Bluetones - Never Going Nowhere
22%
Beautiful South - Just A Few Things That I Ain't
11%

Total votes : 9

Postby philruck » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:58 pm

Great choice for your #1 Matthew :)

I've never really thought about the significance of those lyrics, but I can see how they mean so much to you. Here's hoping your 2004 will start off loads better than your 2003 ended :)
philruck
Superstar

Postby Virgostar » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:43 am

Whilst I may not like the #1 song (I really should give it another listen), when you sum up the last year the way you did, I can see how this song couldn't have been placed anywhere else but the #1 spot - it's always wonderful to find a song that you can truly relate to in every possible way and I'm sorry to read that 2003 just didn't turn out right for you :( - I do know how it feels to not have things turn out the way you had hoped and you have my sympathies :) Anyway, here's to 2004 being a brighter and better year for you and for everyone else!
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby dziobaseczek » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:40 am

Great Tunes and history!
Athlete can be on top in my opion ;)
dziobaseczek
Groupie

Postby Phoenixx » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:11 pm

matthew_dixon wrote:1. Gary Jules – Mad World
and I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles, it’s a very very mad world.

So, it’s New Year’s Eve, and it’s time to reflect on what’s happened this year. It’s a year that has seen me complete a successful first semester of exams, complete a final semester and come out of my degree with a 2:1, have a really good graduation ceremony, but not get accepted for a PhD. It’s seen me organise a reunion of my primary school class only to find only 3 people turned up. It’s seen me buy my own house. It’s seen me spend the past few months looking for a job. In early October, Tom (eamezey) sent me a copy of a song he liked, a piano ballad version of Tears For Fears’ “Mad World” sung by a guy called Gary Jules. I instantly found it amazing, playing it 10 times straight through instantly, and proclaiming it one of my favourite songs of all time. I also got a copy of the Tears For Fears original from Tom, and I think that is really good itself – but not as amazing as the Gary Jules version. Anyway, where was I?...

It’s been a very interesting, good and fun year… until recently. On Friday the 12th of December, I returned from an interview to a phone call to say my grandfather was critically ill in hospital. I rushed home, and spent most of the week down in Newcastle city centre staying with my foster brother – hence my difficulties in going online for that week. He lasted a full week and was about to come out of hospital. Sadly on Saturday the 20th of December, my grandfather died, and in general my whole atmosphere changed, and so did the meaning that that song had to me. Far from being a song to relax to and amaze at it’s beauty, I conceded that it was indeed a very very mad world, as the song suggested. Everyone in my family was touched by that song, and I realised that after listening to it for an hour and a half straight whilst walking through Newcastle on my way to the hospital that I was a fool to kid myself that this wasn’t my favourite song of 2003.

This morning, I attended a Quaker funeral and my grandfather was cremated.
This lunch-time we held a wake in celebration of his life
Tonight we celebrate the New Year coming in.

It is indeed for me a very very mad world 8-).

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places – worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere – going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression – no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow – no tomorrow

And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
When people run in circles it’s a very very
mad world mad world

Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy birthday – happy birthday
Made to feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen – sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me – no one knew me
Hello teacher tell me what’s my lesson
Look right through me – look right through me

And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
When people run in circles it’s a very very
Mad world . . . world
Enlarge your world
Mad world
Here ends 2003, possibly the maddest year of my life for both myself and the world
Just saw THIS #01 now and remember as I were a little boy and always listened to that Song. It was probably the first Song I liked that much. After this Song I just can remember I loved "Tripping" by Robbie Williams and "Hung Up" by Madonna which were both in 2005!
Phoenixx
Purpose

Return to Year End Personal Charts