Amy Studt - Misfit
44%
Bluetones - Never Going Nowhere
22%
Beautiful South - Just A Few Things That I Ain't
11%

Total votes : 9

Postby Liberty » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:16 am

Shoutout for Kym! BTW where did Sentimental chart?
~ Whãt Plánèt Ârë Yõù Fröm? Âccúse Mè Ôf Thïngs Thãt Í Névèr Döne ~
Liberty
Superstar

Postby Terence » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:55 pm

Woo, I missed quite a lot!

Woo for Kym - she's one of 2003's revelations, as is Stacie!

Biggest woooo's go to Avril, Dido and the Androids! :D
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby matthew_dixon » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:04 am

Into the top 30 we boldly go!

30. Cerys Matthews - Caught In The Middle
Well I always knew that the Cerys solo project would be a world away from Catatonia. In the end, she came up with an alt-country/folk album, but nevertheless, with her trademark vocals, she produced a masterpiece. Tragically it flopped rather badly.

29. Kelly Rowland - Stole
It's been a truly amazing year - and sorry urban fans, but this is the highest urban entry on my list. Dealing with the touchy subject of high school murders in the US, this song touched everybody's hearts - but for some reason was released head to head with t.A.T.u.'s massive hit.

28. Christina Aguilera - Beautiful
Another amazingly powerful song, this was "Beautiful" by name and beautiful by nature as well. A really moving song, and far and above the greatest song that Christina has ever performed. Needless to say, I think it's highly unlikely she could top it in my books :)

27. Dana Glover - Thinking Over
Well that's two amazing pop ballads in a row. Big thanks to Darren for mentioning to me I might like Dana - this was without a doubt her standout track on the album (of the same name, I think).

That's all your getting for tonight ;-)
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Liberty » Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:30 am

Why isn't Sluttina higher? :lol:
~ Whãt Plánèt Ârë Yõù Fröm? Âccúse Mè Ôf Thïngs Thãt Í Névèr Döne ~
Liberty
Superstar

Postby Dazzle » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:42 pm

Wow! 3 of my all time faves of the year there! :o

Woo Woo! :o [/train mode]
When you left I lost a part of me, It's still so hard to believe
Come back baby please cos We belong together

June 27th
Dazzle
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:45 pm

OMG! Woooooo! Dana and Kelly are amazing 8-)
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:00 am

Continuing on - and I think it's about time we got rid of the second entries for a few of the biggest names of mine on the list.

26. Amy Studt - Under The Thumb
Well, that's the first of the Amy songs gone :o . This maybe wasn't the most obvious of singles as far as I'm concerned, but nevertheless, it's a really good track off one of my favourite albums of the year. Can "Misfit" be my song of the year though?

25. Athlete - Westside
and here's the first of the two Athlete songs straight after it :o . Now this is a work of genius from an amazing band - but I can't get it higher than 25! Could "El Salvador" be my song of the year?

24. Beautiful South - Let Go With The Flow
A third act in a row to get a second-biggest-hit landing in here - it's a really good Beautiful South song - but that still can't get it into this very strong top 20. Could "Just A Few Things That I Ain't" be my song of the year?

23. Counting Crows featuring Vanessa Carlton - Big Yellow Taxi
Joni Mitchell classic, ruined by Janet Jackson, but done really well by the Counting Crows. You're never going to improve on the original - as it was perfection - but this does a damn fine job of it 8-)
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby John » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:04 am

8-)
This post is highly unlikely to be serious. Please treat it accordingly. Unless it's music-related, in which case I'm damn well right.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby Terence » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:09 am

Counting Crows + Amy Studt = 8-) + WOOO!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:03 pm

Counting Crows and Amy and Athlete - top chart!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tiger » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:06 pm

Well any chart with Amy is my kinda of cart 8-)

My CHART
Tiger

Postby matthew_dixon » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:26 pm

22. Meat Loaf - Couldn't Have Said It Better (Myself)
You have the right!
To remain silent!

Actually - it might be best if some people do. I guess Meat Loaf might not really be to everyone's tastes. I'll have the pop fans slating me for it being rock music, and the rock fans slating me for it being pop music, and the pop-rock fans slating me for him being really badly dated. Needless to say, I think this is a totally amazing song 8-)

21. OK Go - Get Over It
Ahhhh - now this one was a classic! Sadly OK Go disappeared after this classic song. It was such an incredible powerful rock song that was so easy to sing along to - I just can't work out how it wasn't really a hit.

20. Mark Owen - Four Minute Warning
Into my top 20 - and the totally amazing summer guitar-pop song from Mark Owen. Never has there been a happier song about the end of the world. This is what pop songs should be like.

19. The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)
The only act with 3 top 20 entries is the Darkness - but that doesn't make them the most reliable act of the year. There's two other obvious singles on the album, and the rest is all rather filler-ish. Nevertheless - this is a cracking way to celebrate the festive season, and is a well deserved big hit for it 8-)
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Terence » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:40 pm

4 absolute classics!

That Meat Loaf song is incredibly catchy, as is OK Go's!

The Darkness is classic, and the biggest woooo goes to Mark Owen- 8-)
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby John » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:50 pm

OK Go 8-) 8-) 8-) (I've got them in my stereo right now, actually.)

The Darkness 8-) 8-) 8-)
This post is highly unlikely to be serious. Please treat it accordingly. Unless it's music-related, in which case I'm damn well right.
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:34 pm

Woo for Counting Crows, OK Go, Kelly, Christina, and Dana!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Tiger » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:10 am

Wooo! Chriiiistmaaas tiiiime *Screeches*

My CHART
Tiger

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:50 pm

Okay - well it's time to do a major thing on here...

FreakyFlyBry wrote:I'm not entirely sure about this... and I'm probably wrong, but I voted for The Darkness "I Believe In A Thing Called Love".
Errr - you could just say that ;-)

18. Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love
I believe in a :oops: thing called looooooooooooooooooove
Well - how many people knew that it was in fact "Growing On Me" that was my favourite Darkness tune of the year? This one just didn't quite match up to it's brilliance. Still, it was a well deserved massive smash chart hit, and was until a few days ago my favourite song this year to have gone top 5 8-)

17. Tom McRae - Karaoke Soul
'Cause you're talking rock and roll
Walking karaoke soul
I can see you desperate to please
Let me treat you for your disease

Here's Tom with a song berating the world of reality TV manufactured bands and singers. It was the only song to climb to the top on my chart all year - with me initially preferring "Mr Butterfly" by Sam Obernik to this amazingly beautiful ballad. The next week, however, I saw sense ;-)

16. Sam Obernik - Mr Butterfly
We gonna fly in the sky, Mr You, Mr I, Mr Me, Mr Why, Mr Mr Mr Butterfly
...but it's Sam who wins in the long run :o. This song was just so incredibly funky, catchy and simple - and it was a terrible shame that it flopped. Maybe not one people were expecting so high, eh :P

15. Ooberman - First Day Of The Holidays
When I awoke I was 10 again
And the heat rose in the fields again
And the sun rose in the haze again
And it was just the way it used to be

Ahhh - the mighty Ooberman. I'm sure no-one will be surprised to see them very high up my list. Sadly, they are no more, but I got to see them in a totally amazing concert in March - where I also got a birthday shout from the band - got to meet the band - got a hug off Sophia Churney :D :oops: :D , got a kiss off one of the male band members :-? :-? :-? got a drumstick, a setlist, a load of CDs, a poster and the signatures of the whole band.

You could just say that was the best gig I have ever been to, and the single and album grew on me even more after that point 8-)
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby McDreams » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm

Very late but nvm, woooooooooooooooooooooooo for Meatloaf!!
Can't make decisions, I could use some more distractions today..
McDreams
Manager

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:40 pm

Woo for The Darkness! And I knew I'd be wrong in predicting them at #1 :wink:
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Terence » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:16 pm

Never heard the other three, but a massive, huge, enormous, Rik-Wallerish-sized :o wooo for the Darkness!

The more I listen to it, the more cool it sounds!

Though I'm afraid to get their album... it sounds like it's half-crap. :-?
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Tiger » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:02 am

Wooooo! I wanna hear that Sam song still

My CHART
Tiger

Postby matthew_dixon » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:17 pm

14. Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Her name is Yoshimi. She's an expert in karate

Undoubtedly the weirdest titled song on this list would have to be this - the highest offering from the Flaming Lips. Without a doubt this incredibly quirky offering is a bit different to the normal and that's why I like it. It brought me to like the Flaming Lips - a band I'd never known before - and also brought them some long overdue commercial success.

13. Finley Quaye featuring Beth Orton - Dice
Nothing can compare to when you rolled the dice and sweared your love for me

Now this is a really beautiful ballad - a totally amazing song - and a song which I have gone on about for ages through the latter part of the year. It's a perfectly crafted song - you can't fault it at all - it got a load of Radio 1 airplay - it got a fair amount of hype ... but then it never came out :o . I still don't have a copy - but I'm gonna have to search around for an import somewhere. Well, I guess you were all right that that wouldn't be my favourite ;-)

12. Ricky - Sunset View
What's that over there? Do I see the sunset view? Cause I know where I'm going to today

Now this seriously is a brilliant song. I first came across this band when they supported the Bluetones in concert - and they've toured with a number of other great bands through the past couple of years. They're an amazing indie band that are best described as somewhere between Athlete and the Thrills - both of whom are still to come - so it should come as no surprise they're so high with this amazingly catchy song. They also win the prize for the best b-side of the year, as the "flipside" "Maybe Together" is almost as good as "Sunset View". I'd love to put this top 10 - but then again, there's 11 I'd wish to fit in even more.

11. The Bluetones - Liquid Lips
Ugly hyena! Your misdemeanour reveals the truth between your veneer
...and here's the second highest Bluetones entry. "Liquid Lips" is an amazing track from an amazing album - but it's not quite the best on what ranks as my favourite album of the year. Why this was ignored in favour of it's dull double A side, I'll never know

Now before we go top 10 on singles...

My top 10 albums of 2003
excluding greatest hits packages
10. Ooberman - Hey! Petrunko
9. Thrills - So Much For The City
8. Various Artists - Live Forever: The Best Of Britpop
7. Stephanie Kirkham - That Girl
6. Beautiful South - Gaze
5. Cerys Matthews - Cockahoop
4. Darkness - Permission To Land
3. Athlete - Vehicles and Animals
2. Amy Studt - False Smiles
1. Bluetones - Luxembourg
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby John » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:15 pm

Flaming Lips 8-) 8-) 8-)
Bluetones 8-) 8-) 8-)
John
Chief Kitten Herder

Postby matthew_dixon » Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:24 pm

Okay - it seems like I'm just about the only person who's chosen to actually visit UKMIX on Christmas Day.

Happy Christmas to all the Christians on the site! 8-)
Happy Hannukah to all the Jews ;-)
If anyone of any other religion has a special occasion around this time then best wishes for them as well :lol:

Anyway - I've gotta come on, because I need to get into my top 10 songs of 2003 - and here's two that no-one guessed ;-)

10. Thrills - Big Sur
Just don't go back to Big Sur. We're hanging around, when we're almost down. Just don't go back to Big Sur - baby, baby, please don't go.

Observant people will realise that this was still to come - my favourite track from the Thrills is "Big Sur". It sums up their entire style of incredibly simple catchy indie songs that sound amazingly similar to the 60s West Coast USA sound of the Beach Boys and every bit as good. This track only ever made No. 3 on my chart - but seeing as it was released the same week that Amy released "Misfit" - you can see why it couldn't top the chart. Nevertheless, this is the greatest song of the year from one of the year's brightest new bands. Looking forward to the second album to see if they still deliver songs as good as this one.

9. Mark Joseph - Get Through
'Cause living in the summer is easy. It's living in the winter that's hard - but we'll get through

Okay - history lesson everyone - a story you might not know. Mark Joseph is a completely independent singer songwriter. He recorded this track in a local recording studio and mastered the entire project himself. He then went around record stores around the country - and apparently only managed to get the record stocked in 5 stores nationwide. This song was so good that it still got into the top 40 8-) . That suddenly fuelled a mass interest in him from record labels, resulting in major record stores stocking the second single "Fly" and the resulting album "Scream". "Fly" got mass videoplay on "The Box" and suddenly every man and his dog on here was praising the name Mark Joseph - for what in all honesty was a hugely disappointing second single. So, what is it that makes Mark's first single so much better than the overhyped follow-up song "Fly"?

Well, this song - in both style and quality - harks straight back to the classic Oasis album "(What's The Story) Morning Glory" - the defining album of indie music. This song is quite simply on a par with the greatest indie songs ever released.

I first heard the song on the chart the week it was released and thought it was totally amazing. However, it got no airplay and no commercial release - so there was absolutely no way of re-listening to it - and tragically it dropped down my chart very fast. Then I considered getting the album and I've never looked back since. "Fly" is weak, but the new single "Bringing Back The Memories" is a much better song. My prediction for next year is that "BBTM" will go top 20, and then this track will be rereleased in its full glory - and dareIsayit, it could even go straight to the top of the chart 8-) .

Top 8 tomorrow - and it's time to start removing options from the poll again. That will leave one song surprisingly high up that no-one guessed... anyone have any ideas?
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Tiger » Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:29 pm

Well woo for Amy in the albums list! I heard "Fly" and I wasn't imprssed... at all

My CHART
Tiger

Return to Year End Personal Charts