Carbon's 2017 Faves | #1 ANNOUNCED

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby king_oxymoron » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:22 pm

'With her crap' :lol: Agree with you on Pixie as you know.
Alone is cute but JW has done miles better for me
Demi yaaaaass... tha is an absolute vocal masterclass she sounds insane, know what you mean about not being sure on it as a single, though
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Carbon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:11 am

47. Kimbra - Top of the World

Again a very solid tune from Kimbra, this time more on the weird side, which is how I like my Kimbra. The song resembles some Kate Bush works a lot, I think Kimbra in general is at least a little inspired by Kate in her music or visuals. The verses also remind me of the Dirty Projectors with their disjointed vocals. Sadly this one also didn't impress me as much as her past songs, but I have a feeling the true gems will be on the album.
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:15 am

46. Camila Cabello - Havana (feat. Young Thug)

Ok, this one is just so contagious. The latin-infused beat and melody are everything (but also quite in now), her voice which otherwise kinda grates me fits the song perfectly, and the song is overall really pleasant to the ears and enjoyable every time. Admittedly it grew off me a bit over time, but it's still good. The rapper can go away though.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:19 am

45. Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?

My biggest surprise of this year, alongside Jessie J charting, is definitely Taylor Swift charting. I think she nailed the Reputation singles (bar the Ed Sheeran one ofc). I think this one has an interesting production, even though I'm not a fan of the verses, they blend nicely with the cold, dark production. The chorus is where the song shines, though, and sounds very old-Taylor. The bridge & final chorus are pretty much perfect.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:41 am

I had a flick through and I like the majority of the songs ... a true testament to how basic your taste has become :lol: :lol:

Camila and Taylor <3
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby Carbon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:22 am

thankfulforkelly wrote:I had a flick through and I like the majority of the songs ... a true testament to how basic your taste has become :lol: :lol:
:cry: :cry:

but my chart has never been more popular. omg I'm a Sia, sold out for fame with basic music :cry:

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 pm

'Havana' is one of the catchiest songs of the year, and certainly puts you in that Cuban mood! I looove 'While We're Young' by Jhene, it has grown on me so much.
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Okay, now we're losing some big ones!

"...Ready for It?" is the best of the official Reputation singles thus far. I don't get the music video, but the song is on par with her usual high standard.

Young Thug really has no place on "Havana;" the song works best with just Camila, and it's really the solo version I play most these days. This one is going to get the essay treatment from me on my countdown, so I'm not going to delve into those deep waters here. Suffice to say it's one of my favourite songs of the decade.
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Havana - Just like Blurred Lines, a really bad song.

Kimbra's song is cute though, didn't realize it existed, but I enjoyed it. Don't usually like her songs.

Ready For It - Yes Tay ;D making the Top50
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JimJim » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 pm

RFI is the best Taylor single released this year, nice choice!
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:59 am

Ready For It popping up on everyone's charts.. for me the highlight of the Reputation singles campaign and I actually like the verses
Havana you definitely use the right word for.. so contagious!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby bluecherry » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:02 am

Ready for It... is my second fav Taylor single this era - it's really grown on me.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Carbon » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:51 pm

44. MØ - Nights With You

This is my favourite MØ song since probably Kamikaze! It's a perfect mix of catchy melody, interesting structure and production, solid lyricism and great emotional delivery - I get some romantic hopeful warm feels, and I'm always a sucker for warm feels. I just wish she'd release a freakin' album already, so many good singles that go to waste as non-album tracks...

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:58 pm

43. Jessie Ware - Selfish Love

Selfish Love is definitely unique in Jessie Ware's catalogue thanks to the Spanish telenovela vibe in both the music and the video. It sounds very sensual, romantic, and dark at the same time. Considering it flopped, it's one of her most underrated singles, too.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:44 pm

42. Tori Amos - Cloud Riders

Even though, to my surprise and disappointment, I really didn't like Tori's new album, the lead single is probably among my favourite Tori lead singles! It has that early-mid 00s Tori mellowness and light production, and Tori's voice sounds soothing despite not being what it used to be at her peak. The chorus has a special lullaby feeling to it and I feel as it if it sways me on some fluffy clouds.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:48 pm

41. St. Vincent - Los Ageless

As with Tori, I didn't really warm up to St. Vincent's album, but this single is one of her best works. The beats are amazing, and the melody almost makes it a pure pop song, if it weren't for the very St. Vincent-y quirks in the production. Definitely among her catchiest and most accessible tunes that's perfect for people who wish to explore her music more and aren't too used to her "weirdness".

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:39 am

"Selfish Love" is beautiful.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:55 am

Some bops and just some beautiful songs here and there! :D

I love Cloud Riders, Los Ageless, Nights with You, Controller, Lust for Life, Chained to the Rhythm, Please, Swish Swish, Praying, Told You So, Perfect Places, Bon Appétit. Haven't really used the rest, it's been quite a slow (and boring) year music-wise for me.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:17 am

'Havana' and 'Cloud Riders' :D
Especially happy to see the latter in your chart.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Carbon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:45 pm

40. Lissie - Boyfriend

Lissie's new lead single reminds me of her sophomore album in the way that it's less folk and has some pop elements, but unlike her sophomore, which imho mainly didn't suit her, this one has a light, airy quality to its production and overall structure which makes it a perfect relaxing, yet catchy pop-folk song. Her vocals slay my life as usual.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:50 pm

39. Azealia Banks - Escapades

Another genius track by the underrated rapper. The production is so exhillirating that even if there were no vocals, it would be perfect to listen to in a club! I love that she's switched up from her usual thing and experimented a bit with her vocals. I really wish she'd score another hit because she deserves it so much, but she's pretty much ruined herself. As long as she keeps making music, I'll be happy enough.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:54 pm

38. Sóley - Grow

From the very first opening piano notes this song enchants you. I enjoyed Sóley's previous stuff, too, but she's really topped herself with her newest singles. The melodies are a bit sunnier than before, but equally haunting and melancholic. Someone needs to put this into a soundtrack and make this girl famous! This is pure art.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:59 pm

37. Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do

What was at first just one more petty Taylor Swift song, but without a catchy pop melody, turned out to be one of my fave songs by her. The video and song are obviously extremely calculated and you can see the effort she's put into it, but I really enjoyed it. I like that she's embraced her persona and just went with it - people are & will be talking about her anyway, why not stir some more controversy and publicity? I love the song's structure and the sample in it, not to mention the sexy-dancing Taylor in the vid.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Cool to see "Look What You Made Me Do" ranking higher here than on my own list. Undercover Swiftie teas.

Like I've said before, I don't think the song is anywhere near her best. The pre-chorus is fantastic, but the chorus itself leaves much to be desired.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Yay for Sóley
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts