Carbon's 2017 Faves | #1 ANNOUNCED

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Carbon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:11 pm

glad to see the Switch love!

Thriller wrote:I love that basic Emeli track but it's definitely not going to sell her to new fans.
to be fair, she's a typical Leona Lewis-type - successful debut album and flop career, which is evident in how her sophomore era performed. I'd rather she flopped, but at least released this dance stuff :lol:

heppolo wrote:35. St. Vincent - New York

A really decent song. she keeps doing her thing.
Artistic freedom.
that's true, and she keeps on becoming more and more popular in the meantime

thankfulforkelly wrote:surprised you stan taylor this era
I don't, why is everyone accusing me of it :cry: (actually I can see why :lol: )
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:51 pm

28. Charli XCX - Boys
UGH YES! I love this song so much! The little mario coin thing is just the cherry :lol:

I was busy thinking 'bout boys........
Spoiler:
...........boys
Spoiler:
...........boys

:lol: :lol: :lol:

31. Iggy Azalea - Switch (feat. Anitta)
Fire song! Agree that it deserved a lot of attention. Shame about her fall from Grace, however I still believe she will come back strong 8-).

32. Emeli Sandé - Starlight
Nothing she has released has clicked with me at all, and this song is one of her worst tbh.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:19 pm

I liked "Broken Glass," too. It's definitely generic, as you pointed out, but the good kind of generic - the one that you buy whether it's on sale or not because it does the job. It may not do the job spectacularly, but the job gets done. "White Mustang" is nice.

"Fetish" is perhaps the only time Selena was able to sell 'sexy' to me. It's one of her finest singles yet. "Boys" was the carefree bubblegum pop bop we deserved in 2017.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:51 am

Boys was fun and it gave me an iconic avatar! 8-)
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:31 pm

YESSS at you slowly joining Team Selener 8-) :cry:

Love the ones by Selena and Lana, "Boys" is cute too.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Tansike wrote:YESSS at you slowly joining Team Selener 8-) :cry:
not fully convinced by her, she disappointed me with Wolves

Goldmoney wrote:Boys was fun and it gave me an iconic avatar! 8-)
glad you like this, doesn't seem like you :P

JSparksFan wrote:"Fetish" is perhaps the only time Selena was able to sell 'sexy' to me.
I'm still not sure if she will ever be sexy to me, but I agree, this is the closest she's come to not looking like a sexualized infant :lol:

SummerPeur wrote:Shame about her fall from Grace, however I still believe she will come back strong 8-).
I'd love to be as optimistic, but I'm afraid her career is the least likely to be resurrected out of any flop career in the world :lol: it's quite an injustice considering her career is damaged on the level of rape accusations or something like that. and she never did any harm to anyone, she's such a sweet person actually :cry:

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:04 pm

27. Rita Ora - Anywhere

Another one of 2017's pop highlights is definitely Rita Ora's Anywhere. I wasn't keen on its predecessor at all (much like most of her singles in general), but this one is pure pop bliss, fills you with wanderlust, euphoria, energy and joy! Even though it ended up being a solid hit, I wish it were bigger. It should have been THE defining hit of her career, but I guess that has yet to come. Hope she'll continue impressing me in the future.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:08 pm

26. Arca - Desafío

Arca is one of the biggest acquired tastes in music, and I couldn't really stand his previous instrumental work. His new album introduces his own vocals and a more accessible sound, which is most obvious in this song and even verges on pop. The melody is captivating and haunting, and so is his voice. The chorus almost feels like some sort of chant, and even though I don't understand what he's saying, it sounds beautiful.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:12 pm

25. Paloma Faith - Crybaby

Another wonderful pop song falls... makes you wonder what's coming next when 2017's strongest songs are already falling. :lol: This one goes in the "underrated / injustice" box - it's the perfect radio song with a Paloma twist that prevents it from being generic or boring. The chorus is contagious and the production kinda makes me feel like I'm sipping coffee in a bar, listening to this and enjoying life. Why is the world so unfair to good songs? :cry:

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:29 pm

24. Jessie J - Think About That

It's no secret that I used to loathe Jessie J, her persona and music. I can still sort of see through all of these artsy videos as just one more attempt to get some cred since her basic pop started to flop. Still, I can't help but admit that I LOVE the product! The lyrics are on point, the structure is great, but what I love the most are the sounds. It's a sonical orgasm: that opening piano line, that light pulsating beat throughout, and then finally that choir (?) in the end... she even learned her lesson and used her vocals well this time. Go Jessica!

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Arca's fine and I grew to like ''Crybaby'' more than I initially expected
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SilentDream » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:35 am

“Crybaby” <3 Have you listened to “The Architect” as well? It’s such a great album and there are even better songs than “Crybaby” on it imo. :D
SilentDream
Manager

Postby ArmyOfMe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:44 am

Stanning for Desafío and Crybaby!
Amazing songs.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:03 am

Jessie J - forgettable pop star. Kudos to people that Stan her.

Rita - One of the most annoying singers, can’t get into any of her songs at all.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 am

'Anywhere' is such a good song, just so carefree and pure pop! 'Crybaby' is a great song, i need to delve more into Paloma's album, I always quite like them but haven't had a chance with this one yet!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:34 pm

UKMusicLova wrote:'Anywhere' is such a good song, just so carefree and pure pop! 'Crybaby' is a great song, i need to delve more into Paloma's album, I always quite like them but haven't had a chance with this one yet!
Basically this.. Crybaby I really enjoyed but it didn't completely grab me and force me to listen to the whole record.

Big fan of Boys too, the song, but also... lol
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Rita and Paloma amongst the best female pop moments of the year.
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:18 pm

agree with y'all when it comes to the majority love for Anywhere and Crybebe. And for the few who liked Desafio. I wish more would appreciate the Jessica stuff tho :cry:

update maybe tomorrow, still haven't fully recovered from the NYE celebration

SilentDream wrote:“Crybaby” <3 Have you listened to “The Architect” as well? It’s such a great album and there are even better songs than “Crybaby” on it imo. :D
I haven't, for some reason Paloma is more of a singles artist for me. I tried her previous album, didn't really replay it, and a friend of mine played this one in the background at his place, but nothing caught my interest

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:59 pm

"Anywhere" always makes me feel lighter and happy when I listen to it. It's a brilliant song, and I agree that it deserved to be an even bigger chart smash. "Crybaby" was below Paloma's standard for me, but it's not bad.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:12 am

Yay for ‘Anywhere’. Definiteyone of Rita’s best songs yst.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby thankfulforkelly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Crybaby is one of my favourite songs of the year, I didn't like The Architect at all though :(

Think About That is really good, I'm enjoying Jessie's new stuff a lot! I'm sure the music would be getting a lot more praise by critics / on forums like ukmix and atrl if it was released by a different artist. Not My Ex in particular is really good

Anywhere is really good, can't believe she debuted 6 years and has still only released one album :lol: :lol:
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:29 pm

23. Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Pharrell, Katy Perry & Big Sean)

Love at first listen. I usually dislike Calvin, but this song was just the perfect summer bop to enjoy and pretend you're somewhere at the beach (since this summer was one of my rare ones not spent at the beach :cry: ). I love that he included Katy and gave her at least one hit this year, and she fits really well, kind of reminds me of her older, non-pretentious self. The funky sound was a nice change for Calvin.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:48 pm

27. Rita Ora - Anywhere
25. Paloma Faith - Crybaby
24. Jessie J - Think About That
23. Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Pharrell, Katy Perry & Big Sean)

"Feels" and "Anywhere" are amazing, definitely big highlights of 2017!
Glad to see Jessie J finally made something you like as well :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 pm

22. Kelela - LMK

One of the most interesting and talented R&B singers of today! This song is catchy, bombastic, and I love to play it when getting ready to go out. It's definitely contemporary-sounding, but I also hear some influences of 90s R&B here, and overall it sounds quite timeless. I don't think it will age badly. I didn't really get into the whole album, but I'll keep trying once in a while.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:55 pm

21. Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want

Yes, another Taylor song here. :oops: I don't know, she just kept releasing good (promo) singles this year (well, 3 out of 5)! At first I was not impressed by the lack of a strong pop chorus, but after several listens, the whole song grew on me massively. I do enjoy subtle & subdued Taylor (e.g. Begin Again) so I'm not too surprised I ended up loving this, too. The songwriting is strong here, has that Taylor touch without getting too sappy, and that subtle chorus actually packs such a punch. Perfect for some reflective walks.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts