Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2017?

Anywhere
13%
Bodak Yellow
33%
Despacito
7%
Havana
20%
How Far I'll Go
No votes
I Don't Wanna Live Forever
7%
Lost on You
No votes
Redbone
7%
Scars to Your Beautiful
No votes
That's What I Like
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 am

It's that time of year again, where the personal chart fanatics review the best (and worst) the year in question had to offer. By my own standards, I'm kicking things off relatively early this year, with an aim to complete this - as I have on a handful of occasions - before the calendar year actually ends.

Generally, 2017 was a decent year for music, not approaching the highs of 2012, but with sufficient variety and quality to make this endeavour worth the effort. Let's take a brief look at the candidates for song of the year.

First, there were the familiar faces. Bruno Mars took us back to the early 90s with the new jack swing vibes of "That's What I Like," as Taylor Swift teamed up with former 1D band member Zayn in their Fifty Shades Darker soundtrack anthem and ode to the pluses of mortality "I Don't Wanna Live Forever".

Rita Ora left her America's Next Top Model hosting gig to throw one of her career-best singles at the masses, to which the masses agreeably embraced. And just when we thought we'd seen the last of Justin Bieber, for at least a solid year or two, he teamed up with Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee to make a huge hit even more grandiose...only for the song that spent 16 weeks at #1 in the US to not even end 2017 as the biggest global hit. To complete the "familiar faces" group, we had Alessia Cara provide the sucker punch for body positivity and self-acceptance in "Scars to Your Beautiful," a song that is added to a lengthy list of empowerment anthems that I adore.

The newbies staked a powerful claim as the superior squad in 2017. It's not unusual that the best hip/hop song of the year is recorded by a female emcee, but it is absolutely unprecedented that the female rapper is not Nicki Minaj, and in 2017, the Trinidadian-born queen of rap saw the first legitimate grab at her throne as Cardi B defied the odds and scored a US #1 hit with "Bodak Yellow". Just as Frozen won me over in 2014, another gem from the Disney Studios vault, Moana, gave me a fresh anthem to croon in the dizzily optimistic "How Far I'll Go".

Other personal chart enthusiasts usually bless me with a gem or two each year, and in 2017, courtesy of the exceptional Jake, I discovered the brilliance of LP's "Lost on You". On my own accord, I stumbled upon Childish Gambino's "Redbone" through the Netflix original Dear White People, and, despite my relative indifference to girl group Fifth Harmony, Camila Cabello's "Havana" sunk its addictive hook into my ears and wouldn't let go for some 170+ spins later.

So, who wins? Well, with me, the answer is never so simple, so hang on to a ride of lengthy write-ups, and controversial, friendship-testing twists 'til we reach the conclusion of yet another remarkable song added to my personal hall of fame. Enjoy! :D

"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 pm

will be following this, my guess is that Cardi B will be your #1!

the Alessia song is really good, but it was technically released in 2016 so I won't be putting it in my countdown (even though I discovered it this year)
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 am

Carbon wrote:will be following this, my guess is that Cardi B will be your #1!

the Alessia song is really good, but it was technically released in 2016 so I won't be putting it in my countdown (even though I discovered it this year)
Interesting guess! We'll see. :wink:

"Scars to Your Beautiful" was too good for me to omit it. I usually don't like to include 'old' songs either, but if they're as good as Alessia's, exceptions will be made. :lol:
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:14 am

Let's kick this off with the songs that failed to make the cut.

136. Luke James - Drip

135. Coldplay - All I Can Think About Is You

134. Taylor Swift - Gorgeous

133. Cheat Codes - No Promises (feat. Demi Lovato)

132. Zayn - Still Got Time (feat. PARTYNEXTDOOR)

131. Troye Sivan - Heaven

130. Rita Ora - Your Song

129. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (feat. Quavo)

128. Shania Twain - Life's About to Get Good

127. Drake - Passionfruit

126. dvsn - Think About Me

125. The Weeknd - Reminder

124. The Weeknd - Rockin'

123. Remy Ma - Wake Me Up (feat. Lil Kim)

122. Sevyn Streeter - Before I Do

121. Ofenbach - Be Mine

120. Linkin Park - Heavy (feat. Kiiara)

119. Maroon 5 - Cold (feat. Future)

118. Chris Brown - Only 4 Me

117. Khalid - Young, Dumb & Broke

116. Kygo & Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me

115. Noah Cyrus - Make Me (Cry) [feat. Labrinth]

114. Logic - 1-800-273-8255 (feat. Alessia Kara & Khalid)

113. Anne-Marie - Ciao Adiós

112. Paramore - Fake Happy

111. Anastacia - Caught in the Middle

110. Jorja Smith - Teenage Fantasy

109. J. Cole - Neighbours

108. Harry Styles - Two Ghosts

107. Macklemore - Glorious (feat. Skylar Grey)

106. Steps - Story of a Heart

105. Kendrick Lamar - Humble

104. Chris Brown - Tempo

103. Migos, Nicki Minaj, & Cardi B - MotorSport

102. Charlie Puth - Attention

101. G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky & Cardi B)

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 pm

I love No Promises and It Ain't Me! The Macklemore song is ok, but won't make my cut.

Not into the rest
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:59 am

Carbon wrote:I love No Promises and It Ain't Me! The Macklemore song is ok, but won't make my cut.

Not into the rest
3/36 is a bit brutal, but it's better than nothing. :lol:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:05 am

You charted Kweens Remy and Kimmy! :cry: That’ll compensate a lil’ bit for what’s to come. :roll:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:08 am

Goldmoney wrote:You charted Kweens Remy and Kimmy! :cry: That’ll compensate a lil’ bit for what’s to come. :roll:
I want to say you're wrong in this assessment, but you're probably right. :lol:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:53 am

Following the catastrophic turn of events of November 8, 2016, a concerted effort was made on my part to engage in some honest introspection about some of my own biases that come to the fore in various aspects of my life, and different 'minority' groups were targeted with an aim to give them more of a fair chance in my playlist selections. One group was male acts, and on that end I succeeded tremendously. Last year saw only 28% of the songs in my Top 100 whose lead acts were male; this year we're up to 47%, which is much closer to gender equality than I thought I would get. On some other fronts, I didn't see such gains, but it's a work in progress. Anyway, non-music data aside, let's get this show on the road!

This first batch features the loss of both of an act's two entries this year, a pop juggernaut with one of the weakest singles of her storied career, a transatlantic Top 3 smash, and a song from an act that UKMix adores far more than I do with a song I seem to adore far more than UKMix does.

100. Chris Brown - Questions

The first of two entries from one of my favourite R&B acts is a song just over two minutes long that spends quite a chunk of its short playtime sampling two popular dancehall anthems. The one that most people picked up on was Kevin Lyttle's "Turn Me On;" the one that most people missed was Gyptian's "Hold You". As I adore most of the building blocks that helped construct this song, "Questions" was an easy jam to get into, though it does lose points for lack of originality, as well as for the fact that Chris Brown has done far better club anthems than this one.
Code: Select all
Overall Rating: 7.5/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #5
Play Count: 12

099. P!nk - What About Us

The first of two entries from one of my favourite pop acts of all-time is "What About Us," a completely sub-standard release from someone I've grown accustomed to delivering a high standard of pop music. Of course, there's P!nk's voice, which is always lovely to hear in its urgent tone, but the song doesn't pack the punch that P!nk physically and metaphorically is capable of delivering, so it all feels flat to me.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #3
Play Count: 16

098. French Montana - Unforgettable (feat. Swae Lee)

The only appearance for both French Montana and Swae Lee, "Unforgettable" is a track I initially dismissed as another banal hip/hop hit. It was the Mariah Carey remix that made me revisit the song, and I was appalled at how MC managed to make a bad song worse. Hearing the remix prompted me to revisit the original, which connected with me oddly enough, and since then I've been able to revel in the bop-able melody of the chorus. It helps that I heard this song on a night out, and it's one of those tracks that is decent enough in the comfort of your quiet bedroom, but in the frenetic, sexually charged energy of a club, it just takes on a new life! So it gets brownie points for fun memories associated with it.
Play Count: 12

097. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves

Count me as part of the minority who appreciates this as an admittedly basic but still entirely pleasant track to listen to. I've always found Selena's 'sexy' voice to be a tactic that produced mixed results, so the more straightforward vocal on a fairly well-produced EDM track was something right up my alley. I think the chorus here is one of the catchiest moments of her discography - it's not anything groundbreaking, but it's a hook that stays with me longer than most of her hooks tend to. This is the last we'll be seeing of Marshmello, but Selena has one song still to come.
Play Count: 14

096. Chris Brown - Privacy

Shameless sex anthems would be a theme Chris Brown (and also Trey Songz, for that matter) could rightfully list atop his CV, and that's really all "Privacy" is. Admittedly, the third verse, where Chris Brown switches it up and does a half-rapping, half-singing come-on is....well, sexy, so it gets points for that. The video is also surprisingly good by his 2017 standards. At any rate, this is the final of CB's two entries this year, and it'll be the last we see of him for my 2017 year-end charts, as I just could not be bothered to check out his 45-track-long LP. Whoever told him people had time for such nonsense did him a grave disservice.
Play Count: 18

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:01 pm

P!nk - I really enjoy the verses in this song, love how she delivers them, but the chorus for me is underwhelming. I loved "serious Pink" in the times of Family Portrait, this song seems kinda wannabe serious but clichéd

Selena - I think this was a blatantly desperate attempt to save the era with a generic hit. unfortunately, it seems rushed, as if they panicked after Fetish and quickly made a radio-friendly EDM song in 5 minutes. again, I think the verses have potential, but the chorus is just awfully basic. the music video and cover art look equally rushed and cheap. all of it just reeks of an attempt to get a hit with minimal effort/time invested
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Now that's an early start of a year-end countdown! :o :lol:
RIta Ora released two great songs this year, so it's nice to see one of them already on your chart, hopefully 'Anywhere' will follow.
'Heavy' is nice, it's so sad that Chester Bennington left us this year, may he rest in peace.
'Caught in the Middle' is okay but doesn't come close to Anastacia's former hits.
'Story of a Heart' is nice, it sounds very ABBA-esque.
'Attention' took a while to grow on me but I ended up loving it, it's very catchy.
Benny
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:30 pm

"Gorgeous" definitely would be Top 3 for me. but still nice that you're mentioning it.

"what about us" is not as strong as her other lead singles but still very p!nk. i prefer the new single "beautiful trauma", though. :)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi Akini :D

I love when it gets to year end chart season. :lol: Admittedly i won't start compiling mine until the final week of December after my final weekly chart is posted on the 30th December. So my own countdown is likely to take place in January. :D

Just looked at the songs that missed your top 100 and we've already lost Coldplay and Logic who topped my chart. A number of other songs that were successful in my chart too throughout the year.

So into the top 100 and i have to highlight What about us. I'll be reading your descriptions as you may help inspire my own write ups. :wink: Also nice to see Wolves making the grade although It ain't me was quite comfortably Selena's most successful song for me.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:45 pm

No big losses so far apart from Chartlie Puth's super catchy and amazing "Attention" and Anastacia's comeback single which should have been higher in my opinion. I agree with Benny as well. It's enjoyable (and I love the arrangement) but her earlier hits are superior; still, I am shocked to see it that low.

"Gorgeous" has to be the worst track on "Reputation"; I am glad it didn't make the cut in the end.

Oh! - You don't have "Fetish" AND "Bad Liar" in your coutndown? - I'm shocked again. "Wolves" is super generic and I still can't believe Selena and her team released this track after two great singles in a row.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Chris Brown will never not be a joke
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:34 am

Carbon wrote:P!nk - I really enjoy the verses in this song, love how she delivers them, but the chorus for me is underwhelming. I loved "serious Pink" in the times of Family Portrait, this song seems kinda wannabe serious but clichéd

Selena - I think this was a blatantly desperate attempt to save the era with a generic hit. unfortunately, it seems rushed, as if they panicked after Fetish and quickly made a radio-friendly EDM song in 5 minutes. again, I think the verses have potential, but the chorus is just awfully basic. the music video and cover art look equally rushed and cheap. all of it just reeks of an attempt to get a hit with minimal effort/time invested
Perhaps that try-hard vibe is what causes the song to fall flat for me. "Family Portrait" felt like a came from a place of authenticity, and anything less usually has that "wannabe serious" feel.

I don't know what implications this has for my music taste, but it definitely worked on me. :lol:

Benny wrote:Now that's an early start of a year-end countdown! :o :lol:
RIta Ora released two great songs this year, so it's nice to see one of them already on your chart, hopefully 'Anywhere' will follow.
'Heavy' is nice, it's so sad that Chester Bennington left us this year, may he rest in peace.
'Caught in the Middle' is okay but doesn't come close to Anastacia's former hits.
'Story of a Heart' is nice, it sounds very ABBA-esque.
'Attention' took a while to grow on me but I ended up loving it, it's very catchy.
Yeah, I'm trying to get songs done before January, albums before January 15, and artists before February, so it's a tight schedule this year. :lol:

As a poll option, it's a guarantee "Anywhere" is still to come.

It's a shame he left us indeed. He will go down as not just one of the best male vocalists of this generation, but one of the best male singers ever!

I agree on the Ana assessment, as well as the Steps one! I think that's what drew me to the song, though it's obviously not as good as the typical ABBA song.

"Attention" also took some time to grow on me, and I do like it...just not enough for it to have made the cut.

luckyONE wrote:"Gorgeous" definitely would be Top 3 for me. but still nice that you're mentioning it.

"what about us" is not as strong as her other lead singles but still very p!nk. i prefer the new single "beautiful trauma", though. :)
Top 3 of 2017? :o Wow!!! I definitely don't like it that much.

As do I. :wink:

JakeP wrote:Hi Akini :D

I love when it gets to year end chart season. :lol: Admittedly i won't start compiling mine until the final week of December after my final weekly chart is posted on the 30th December. So my own countdown is likely to take place in January. :D

Just looked at the songs that missed your top 100 and we've already lost Coldplay and Logic who topped my chart. A number of other songs that were successful in my chart too throughout the year.

So into the top 100 and i have to highlight What about us. I'll be reading your descriptions as you may help inspire my own write ups. :wink: Also nice to see Wolves making the grade although It ain't me was quite comfortably Selena's most successful song for me.
Hey, Jake! 8-)

I can definitely attribute the Coldplay song to you, but it was probably its Hot 100 success that made me take notice of the Logic song. Still, I can assure you that some of your other 2017 chart-toppers will do well here. In a few cases, remarkably well. :wink:

Mainshow wrote:No big losses so far apart from Chartlie Puth's super catchy and amazing "Attention" and Anastacia's comeback single which should have been higher in my opinion. I agree with Benny as well. It's enjoyable (and I love the arrangement) but her earlier hits are superior; still, I am shocked to see it that low.

"Gorgeous" has to be the worst track on "Reputation"; I am glad it didn't make the cut in the end.

Oh! - You don't have "Fetish" AND "Bad Liar" in your coutndown? - I'm shocked again. "Wolves" is super generic and I still can't believe Selena and her team released this track after two great singles in a row.
I don't know if it's the worst on the record, but it's certainly in the bottom three or four.

One of those songs is among my favourite Selena songs, and will do better on this countdown than her songs typically fare.

Goldmoney wrote:Chris Brown will never not be a joke
Eh, he releases bops every now and again. In recent years, some of his stuff has been trash, but he still has it in him to deliver quality R&B/pop/dance music.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:31 am

Three of my all-time favourite music acts headline this next batch, flanked by a hugely popular Canadian solo star, and an American pop/rock band.

095. Frank Ocean - Chanel

Following in the footsteps of "Nikes," which wounded up at #95 on my 2016 year-end list, is the best of the random releases Frank treated fans to in 2017, "Chanel," a song whose lyrical theme would have fit seamlessly into the flow of his Blonde LP. As is the case with several of his songs, the lyrics on "Chanel" have the surface-level appearance of being idle, hastily-assembled thoughts, but further probing yields a multiplicity of double entendres, metaphors, and other colourful literary techniques that attest to Frank's status as a genius songwriter. Still, much like "Nikes" last year, this doesn't stand up to his best work.
Play Count: 23

094. Walk the Moon - One Foot

Quite similar sonically to their "Shut Up and Dance" track that won me over two years ago, "One Foot" is another foray into the disco/dance/rock blended sound that works so well for these guys. As an add-on, there's even a brief rap bit where they seem to pull right out of the Imagine Dragons catalogue of half-singing, half-rapping playbook. Lyrically, the song isn't anything to write home about, basically centreing around a couple's slow progress to what I suspect is their shared sense and definition of happiness, but I really like the line, How come even together there can be loneliness?
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #10
Play Count: 9

093. J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente (feat. Beyoncé)

"Mi Gente" caught my attention even before Beyoncé hopped on the remix, but it was obviously her involvement that took the track to #1 on my daily chart. Sans Beyoncé, J Balvin and Willy William bring a high level of energy to this track, but Beyoncé adds some sprinkles of spice with her saucier-than-usual lyrics (I been giving birth on these haters 'cause I'm fertile) and her bring-my-child-to-the-studio inclusion of Blue Ivy's vocals on the track.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 36

092. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back

Starting as a mellow, tender, ballad-like romantic stroll through a meadow of daisies, "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" furiously picks up the pace and switches tones in the chorus as we learn that the seemingly innocent infatuation is actually a rather dangerous and manipulative relationship. Shawn utilises this juxtaposition technique throughout with solid effect, and I have to commend him for really pushing the limit on his (notably limited) vocal range on the chorus. This song doesn't take me to the heights of "Stitches," but it's definitely another title added to his growing list of good to great single releases.
Overall Rating: 7.6/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #2
Play Count: 13

091. David Guetta - Light My Body Up (feat. Nicki Minaj & Lil Wayne)

On this, the fourth time David Guetta and Nicki Minaj have teamed up on a track, you'd think the well would have dried up by now, but they're milking it for every litre, and there's just enough wisps of dance-pop glitter to turn this tease of a track into a bona fide dancefloor anthem. I deem it a "tease" as the pre-chorus sets the stage for something truly special to come along...and all that rounds the corner is a beat drop. It's a disturbing trend I've noticed in dance music and I'm well and truly over it. Nicki makes up for it (somewhat) with a handful of clever one-liners (I just started my sentence like a capital letter + I ain't talkin' 'bout David when I say I'mma Guetta). It's the last we'll see of Guetta, but Lil Wayne still has two others to come, and Nicki has three more entries left.
Play Count: 22

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:04 am

Awh, shame Steps JUST missed the top 100!! Nice to see you mentioning Jorja Smith, though. Love her!!

What About Us is a brilliant tune (+ the video is absolutely stunning). Don't know any of the other entries so far though, although I did think I listened to the Frank track once but it didn't really got my attention unfortunately.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Haven't heard anything from this batch :oops:
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:13 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
luckyONE wrote:"Gorgeous" definitely would be Top 3 for me. but still nice that you're mentioning it.

Top 3 of 2017? :o Wow!!! I definitely don't like it that much.
yup. 8-) still completing my personal favorites, but this one has pretty great chances to appear VERY high. :P

I just discovered "One Foot" about two weeks ago. I didn't know Walk The Moon had a new album out since September already. I'm really digging "One Foot".
"Light My Body Up" is a nice track. :)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Carbon wrote:Haven't heard anything from this batch :oops:
Actually I know Mi Gente! I enjoyed it, though it didn't make my top 80
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:26 pm

'One Foot' is my favourite one from the last batch. :P
'Mi Gente' is quite annoying, not a fan!
'There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back' was a bit disappointing after the great singles Shawn Mendes had released prior to it.
Benny
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:20 am

Not you paying dust to Liam Akini :( 129. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (feat. Quavo)

Also! Yes at the Wolves write up! However it as well deserved to be so much higher :)
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
Hottest Single All Stars, in the game section.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 am

Fan wrote:Awh, shame Steps JUST missed the top 100!! Nice to see you mentioning Jorja Smith, though. Love her!!

What About Us is a brilliant tune (+ the video is absolutely stunning). Don't know any of the other entries so far though, although I did think I listened to the Frank track once but it didn't really got my attention unfortunately.
That won't be the last we see of Steps on this countdown. :wink:

luckyONE wrote:yup. 8-) still completing my personal favorites, but this one has pretty great chances to appear VERY high. :P

I just discovered "One Foot" about two weeks ago. I didn't know Walk The Moon had a new album out since September already. I'm really digging "One Foot".
"Light My Body Up" is a nice track. :)
So is "Gorgeous" your favourite song on Reputation? How do you feel about "Getaway Car" (my fave)?

Carbon wrote:
Carbon wrote:Haven't heard anything from this batch :oops:
Actually I know Mi Gente! I enjoyed it, though it didn't make my top 80
I'm 100% sure you'll know at least one song in the next batch, and I think you're a fairly big supporter of the song (and artist).

Benny wrote:'One Foot' is my favourite one from the last batch. :P
'Mi Gente' is quite annoying, not a fan!
'There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back' was a bit disappointing after the great singles Shawn Mendes had released prior to it.
Glad you at least like "One Foot"!

SummerPeur wrote:Not you paying dust to Liam Akini :( 129. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (feat. Quavo)

Also! Yes at the Wolves write up! However it as well deserved to be so much higher :)
Liam actually has two entries still to come, but "Strip That Down" is mediocrity that I refuse to support. :lol:

Glad someone else likes "Wolves"! 8-)

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:16 am

This next set features tracks from an 80s rock star, the biggest chart force in America of the 90s, a Top 10 finisher at the most recent Eurovision Song Contest, a pop star whose return was highly anticipated, and a mid-tier R&B star with his best single to date.

090. Kesha - Praying

The circumstances surrounding Kesha's absence from pop radio were heartbreaking, so fans were eager to see what her next move would be. Would she confront the situation head-on, or return to party princess mode? Well, she addressed it, though I didn't expect such a tone of forgiveness, and I think the fact that it wasn't this big middle-finger-up, f**k-you, brash statement of intent disappointed me. Still, I'm enormously impressed with her strength to return to the studio, and grateful that she's moved to the acceptance stage of grief. As for the song itself, it does a better job than all of its predecessor singles combined in showing her vocal prowess, which she cloaked with autotune, half-spoken-half-sung verses, and simple one-octave notes on her earlier albums.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 18

089. Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma

The most fun ESC entry this year, "Occidentali's Karma" is the only song among the Top 20 finishers that I genuinely liked. The instrumentation is fantastic, the lyrics are solid, and the inclusion of the yoga chant Om! at the end is a brilliant finishing touch to strike home the theme of the song. Since I started watching the ESC in 2014, this is the best entry Italy's ever sent to the contest.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #7
Play Count: 14

088. Tank - When We

I've never been a big fan of Tank's music as it's usually sleep-inducing stuff that I forget as soon as I'm done listening to it, but with "When We," he delivers his sexiest, most captivating release to date. The lyrics are Rated R(ihanna) in its explicitness, as Tank talks about his intent to engage in some (mutually consensual) rough bedroom fun, and I must say the imagery he creates is quite...something.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #6
Play Count: 7

087. Mariah Carey - The Star

Mariah Carey is one of the greatest singers in music history, so when she records questionable, cheesy, soundtrack ballads, I check them out because it's her, and MC's voice is the real star of this song. The lyrics do have that touch of motivation, but it's really that voice that had me hitting the repeat button the weekend I discovered it and played it like a madman. It has nothing on "Almost Home," and I won't even insult that Christmas classic in striking a comparison to it, but it's cute, kid-appropriate, and features dem-babies-who-aren't-quite-babies-anymore.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(2)
Play Count: 38

086. Pat Benatar - Dancing Through the Wreckage

Finding peace within chaos, joy within despair, and strength within heartbreak is a skill I've had to employ too many times to count within the last three years, and this song basically soundtracks (insert pun here, as it's actually from a soundtrack) the act of embracing struggles and enjoying the beauty within the ugliest situations. Props to Bryan (FreakyFlyBry) for introducing me to this; I don't think I would have heard it otherwise.
Play Count: 28

JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts