Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2017?

Anywhere
13%
Bodak Yellow
33%
Despacito
7%
Havana
20%
How Far I'll Go
No votes
I Don't Wanna Live Forever
7%
Lost on You
No votes
Redbone
7%
Scars to Your Beautiful
No votes
That's What I Like
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby thankfulforkelly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 pm

Havana for #1

also thank you for reminding me of that LP song, it's really good actually

bodak yellow is such a bop too
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:17 am

king_oxymoron wrote:You're right, I very much enjoyed 20-16!

Kelly marking a maturing in her sound has resulted in some really special material and Love So Soft is at the forefront of that, I really like it. As you know I think The Cure is really nice but not incredible, I think it was the correct career move, though. Perfect - while not perfect - is wonderful and as you say a real high point vocally for him, same as Dive. And Symphony is just some kind of special brilliance where pretty much all the boxes get a tick, it all just fits.

The latest set... well.. I don't know most of it and you know my take on the Zaylor duet so let me just say thank god for Alessia which I believe was in my top 3 last year. Such a beautiful track and an important message,

Sia.. incredible pack a punch chorus, Bruno is cute and funky but didn't compel me to include, never got Bodak Yellow, we never really heard much of Kissing Strangers here though I remember it being quite funky. Along with Hurts I'll try and listen again as I really like them but don't remember this particular track. Saw them in August and they were superb,
Hurts are definitely worth a revisit! It's not a light comparison I make when I say it's on par with "Wonderful Life". "Kissing Strangers" was probably the most underrated pop song of the year.

Tansike wrote:Damn, i've been way to busy lately! Time to catch up now... :oops:
Thanks for playing catch-up!

Tansike wrote:Nice group. Liam is way too underrated IMO. "Bedroom Floor" was a nice pop song and not much weaker than "Strip That Down", so i'm surprised it didn't do better. The flop of "Get Low" was even more shocking, as it's my favorite song by Liam and also one of Zedd's best to me.
Love "Fetish", but i prefer "Bad Liar" to it...
I have to go back to "Bad Liar" because you and quite a few others seem to prefer it to "Fetish".

Tansike wrote:Interesting ones. I like all of them, but i think all of them are also far from being the best ones of their albums (or overall, when it comes to Charli).
What's your favourite Charli XCX song? Mine is "Break the Rules," and "Boys" is on par with it for me.

Tansike wrote:Two VERY weak songs for the artists standards.
I really think "Two Fux" is a great song from Adam. I only know one other person who agrees with me, though, so it might just be the two of us who are crazy. :lol:

Tansike wrote:Surprised LWYMMD didn't end up higher :o Definitely a highlight of the year for me, and a good 'comeback' for Taylor. The video was such an event... i mean, a video didn't get that much of attention for ages (probably since Gaga's hey-days).
Love "Love", "Move You" is nice.
I don't think the "Look What You Made Me Do" video was that big of a deal. Its impact seemed confined to the first three or four days. Glad you appreciate "Move You". That one is underrated here. :(

Tansike wrote:"Feels" is amazing and definitely in my personal Calvin Top3 (together with his two Ellie collabos). A big highlight of 2017 for me as well, and it was nice to see Katy still scoring a hit...
Yeah, the Calvin song is right up there with his career-best for me as well.

Tansike wrote:Strong group! Love "Ready For It?", it's actually as strong as LWYMMD for me. It really depends on my mood which one i prefer.
"Slow Hands" is Niall's best single to date, but here's hope he will release his collaboration with Maren Morris next, as that one is waiting to smash 8-)
YES!!!

Tansike wrote:All three are also highlight for me, so very pleased to see them all in your Top40!
Glad you like them. It's a shame neither "Green Light" nor "Chained to the Rhythm" saw a quarter of the success "Shape of You" enjoyed.

Tansike wrote:...and another two highlight from me too! I'm still shocked how Miley went from this big hit to the disaster that was the albums performance. "Malibu" definitely belongs to the best pop songs released in 2017. Same for Dua actually, what a lucky choice for a single! I think people already expected the era to be over for her and then she releases this and turns things around.
I was surprised (and disappointed) by this, too, but the album is awful by Miley's standards.

Tansike wrote:You will probably hate me after this but "Crying In The Club" is actually by far my favorite song by Camila so far... :oops: I can't believe she won't put it on the album!
Anyways, really like the other three songs in this group as well. "Whatever It Takes" will be a hit in 2018 for me, while "Sign Of The Times" was a perfect solo debut for Harry, and "Call It What You Want" grew on me a lot when the album came out. Wouldn't mind if they will release this as a single in the second half of 2018.
Definitely not! It's actually refreshing to see love for "Crying in the Club". It deserved far more success than it got.

I hope "Call It What You Want" gets a single release, too, but they need to release "Getaway Car" ASAP.

Tansike wrote:Two answer your question for "Symphony": Lindsey Stirling, maybe? :P
Fair point! :lol:

Tansike wrote:While i LOOOVE to see "Symphony" in your Top20, i actually was hoping for a Top10 placement. Definitely one of the strongest released of the year, simply adore it!
"Perfect" is nearly perfect. Definitely up there with Ed's best tracks to date. Also love "The Cure", should have been a big return to the Top10s all over the world for Gaga.
It really should have been.

Tansike wrote:No Top10 for Cardi B :o :o :o
SHOCKING!!
Anyways, #15 is still amazing for a debut single, and i'm really looking forward to her debut album.
Sia's "Move Your Body" is my favorite one in this group, really pleased with its great placement.
Yeah, I think the fact that "Bodak Yellow" was the only nominated song I wrote a review for probably got people thinking it was the favourite this year, when that certainly wasn't the case. The Top 2 this year were pretty clear-cut for me, too, actually, though it looks at least one of them will have caught some folks off-guard.

"Move Your Body" is awesome! Like "The Cure," it deserved so much more success.

Tansike wrote:Good start into the Top10. LP was in my Top10 last year, so i love to see her appearance on your Top10 this year. "Lost On You" is simply beautiful.
Ah, this isn't the first time I've 'recycled' one of your previous high-rankers in a subsequent year. :lol:

Thriller wrote:That LP song is class! Such a Gwen vocal too. I'd forgotten about it on my countdown, it might've snuck in.

Nice Alessia track too.
Glad you appreciate "Lost on You"! Such a brilliant song!

thankfulforkelly wrote:Havana for #1

also thank you for reminding me of that LP song, it's really good actually

bodak yellow is such a bop too
Ah, great to see so many people loving "Lost on You"! And yay at another person appreciating "Bodak Yellow". That song is so polarising! :lol:
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:51 am

005. Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go

The climactic theme song from a Disney film featuring a protagonist who lives on a small island with dreams of exploring the 'great perhaps' beyond her small hometown - did this song ever stand a chance of not making my Top 5? No, it most certainly did not. I actually love that the song is sung by a 16-year-old, as I believe we oftentimes lose our sense of adventure as we age. In youth, there's naiveté, yes, but also a sense of immortality that often leads you onto some pretty spectacular rides. Moana was my 2017 Frozen, so it was only fitting that there was an equally as good "Let It Go"-level theme song to accompany it. Kudos, also, to Auli'i Cravalho, who delivers a capable vocal performance - one of the best of the year actually, and at 16 years no less!
Code: Select all
Overall Rating: 9.6/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(3)
Play Count: 168

004. Rita Ora - Anywhere

I'm beginning to suspect that there's a correlation between Rita releasing feel-good, dancefloor-ready club bops in the same years that Rihanna is completely (or largely) absent. It happened in 2014 with "I Will Never Let You Down," and the start of a curious trend is initiated with "Anywhere". Random observances aside, this song is the summer anthem that never was, though at least in some parts of the world people treated it as a sort of 'vacation anthem'. The way the background vocals glide over the main vocal provides a strangely warming and calming (almost dreamy) effect, and the dance drop is a great moment, too. This song makes me want to start planning my next trip, and it soundtracked a particularly stressful day at work where a number of things went wrong, but this somehow helped me to put things in perspective and feel, quite peculiarly, happy and grateful for small mercies.
Overall Rating: 9.6/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(5)
Play Count: 133

003. Katy Perry - Roulette

Online dating is a high-risk endeavour - especially for LGBT+ folk - where you very often don't get the high payoff entry into such a risky arrangement should necessitate. At any rate, "Roulette" soundtracked a period during which I dabbled in the danger of online-borne dalliances, and it really was the perfect soundtrack! You come home after a long, stressful day at work (I'm uptight, playing by the rules in this game of life, 365 days on the grind, something's stirring, I need to unwind), you hop online your preferred dating app and see some unread messages (Texting me a little bubble of trouble, I've tried to ignore these thoughts that rumble, I think I'm bored of being so careful) and right as you click on the promising message, Katy launches into the soaring chorus of letting her hair down and just letting go. As a risk averse person living in the kind of country I live, there's a point where your senses kick in and the thrill of the apps die down, but put personal connections aside and you still have one of Katy's biggest pop songs of her career consigned, just as "Walking on Air" was, to album track status. Still, the way the bubbling verses just erupt into this cotton-candy-esque explosion of bubblegum pop brilliance is something special. If Katy does end up releasing this at some point in time, and it doesn't absolutely smash, I'll have lost the strands of faith I have in the GP.
Overall Rating: 10/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(4)
Play Count: 193
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:52 am

Even with Katy's perfect pop masterpiece "Roulette," it was always going to come down to these two. The winner will be revealed tomorrow!

VS.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:52 am

Thank god Bodak Yellow crashed out. 8-)

I’ll go with Havana!
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:31 am

Good to see Anywhere top 5.
Thriller

Postby Tansike » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:36 pm

JSparksFan wrote:What's your favourite Charli XCX song? Mine is "Break the Rules," and "Boys" is on par with it for me.
Mine would be "Break The Rules" for sure, and by far. Other than that, i've never really been into one of her songs a lot, but "Sucker" had some nice bops.

LOVE "Anywhere"! Very happy to see such a great placement for this pop masterpiece on your countdown. Since most of my favorite ones already left, i was hoping for this to be your #1, but #4 is also more than satisfying. I'm really looking forward to 2018 to see what she will release. If she continues to release tracks like this and "Your Song", she could have another very successful year.

"Roulette" is SO unexpected, wow! :o It's also one of my favorite songs on "Witness", though there are a few songs i like more (the singles, "Pendulum"), but "Roulette" should have been the fourth single instead of "Hey Hey Hey".
Tansike
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Havana ftw

glad Cardi didn't win this
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:23 am

Goldmoney wrote:Thank god Bodak Yellow crashed out. 8-)

I’ll go with Havana!
We'll see in a few minutes!

Thriller wrote:Good to see Anywhere top 5.
It came late in the year, but it was very close to immediate love.

Tansike wrote:Mine would be "Break The Rules" for sure, and by far. Other than that, i've never really been into one of her songs a lot, but "Sucker" had some nice bops.

LOVE "Anywhere"! Very happy to see such a great placement for this pop masterpiece on your countdown. Since most of my favorite ones already left, i was hoping for this to be your #1, but #4 is also more than satisfying. I'm really looking forward to 2018 to see what she will release. If she continues to release tracks like this and "Your Song", she could have another very successful year.

"Roulette" is SO unexpected, wow! :o It's also one of my favorite songs on "Witness", though there are a few songs i like more (the singles, "Pendulum"), but "Roulette" should have been the fourth single instead of "Hey Hey Hey".
Yeah, Sucker was definitely a solid record.

I really hope Rita manages to put out a solid album. I love that she can do a killer single, but it's time for her to prove that she can put the pieces together and give us a strong pop album. I think we're going to need it in 2018.

I always love surprising folks with these countdowns. I know it wasn't an official single, but as I did with "Walking on Air," I'm anticipating she's going to make the (foolish) decision not to release it, and its greatness deserves to be acknowledged.

Carbon wrote:Havana ftw

glad Cardi didn't win this
"Havana" winning the popular vote - I'm not surprised! Let's see.

It would have been pretty special for a hip/hop song not recorded by Eminem, Kanye, or Nicki to take the top spot. Cardi B did great to get as far as she did, though.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:45 am

Tansike wrote:"Roulette" is SO unexpected, wow!
Exactly this! I haven't checked out Roulette to much tbh. Might have to go give it a few more plays....

Excited for the finale! :D
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:48 am

SummerPeur wrote:Exactly this! I haven't checked out Roulette to much tbh. Might have to go give it a few more plays....

Excited for the finale! :D
It's definitely worth a revisit! I didn't love it on the first listen either - I thought it was just 'pretty good' - but its magic hits you like concrete around the sixth or seventh spin.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:50 am

002. Camila Cabello - Havana

Any attempts to find a catchier song released in 2017 will be fruitless; "Havana" is by a clear margin the catchiest song of the year, with one of the most brilliantly simple, irresistible hooks I've ever heard. The Ooh na nas are so reminiscent of the Ella ella eh eh ehs from Rihanna's "Umbrella" a decade ago, and just like "Umbrella" did for Rihanna, "Havana" catapulted Camila Cabello into the pop stratosphere to share rare air with that genre's current crop of heavy-hitters. Detailling an impressionable summer fling, "Havana" oozes sensuality in its lyrics (I knew it was him when he hugged from behind), the seductive instrumental highlighted by that brilliant trumpet solo, and Camila's surprisingly adept delivery of this erotic fling (in her studio vocal, and her shockingly outstanding live performances of this pop/R&B jewel). (I think now might be a good time to point out that my favourite version of the song is the solo version she unveiled on Jimmy Fallon, as the Young Thug version has a singular but fatal flaw - Young Thug). I never cared enough about Camila to doubt her viability to survive in the music industry as a solo star, but "Havana" - already more valuable to me than Fifth Harmony's entire discography - shows that Camila is one of the most promising young stars in the industry right now, and this sets the stage for her to do something really special with her debut LP.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(5)
Play Count: 195

001. Childish Gambino - Redbone

I'd seen the film Get Out and the Netflix series Dear White People, both of which used "Redbone" to soundtrack scenes, and still I didn't really 'hear' the song until a lonely summer day in July. The soulful sound (created by an eclectic and ingenious amalgamation of clavinet, glockenspeil, bass synth, electric guitar, and drum elements) and raw, powerful, peculiarly pitched vocals (which Childish Gambino proved he could pull off live) were obvious highlights, but it was the Stay woke! cry that piqued my interest. It was a phrase that the Black Lives Matter movement had adopted as an informal slogan in 2014, and with Donald Trump as the US President with the force of the Republican party behind him with one demonic idea after the next day-after-day 'til I was physically and emotionally drained following the news coverage, it was a phrase that I had heard and seen many times over by July 2017. The past 14 months have been a worrying period in our collective world's history, and I must admit that a lot of the developments that took place in global politics shook me out of my reverie that the world was, to a great extent, a reasonably safe place inhabited my reasonably inclusive, informed, and sensible people. The Stay woke! cry was something I mused over for a long time, as I considered that perhaps I had failed in my individual responsibility to be 'woke' to the realities of the world, to be conscious of the goings-on both in my very tiny world on this even tinier island, as well as in understanding and acknowledging the more selfish, sinister, racially-charged actions of other people, and the prevalence of sexism, homophobia, elitism, and nationalism in some countries I had labelled as 'staunchly liberal'. "Redbone" will inevitably be remembered as it should - a masterclass in psychedelic soul music production and interpretation - and invariably amass a wealth of critical honours - Grammy trophies and the like - but I credit it for forcing introspection on my part, and that's precisely why there was no other song even considered for my song of the year, as "Redbone" did what only the very best songs can do; it made an impact in my life beyond me just fawning over an exceptionally crafted diamond of a song. On a lighter note, "Redbone" marks the first time since "Hold It Against Me" won song of the year honours in 2011 that my song of the year is top in all metrics: overall quality rating, number of plays, and Daily Top 20 chart performance (rather impressively, "Redbone" spent even more days at #2 on my chart than it did at #1, indicative of outstanding longevity on a very random, historically volatile list).
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(8)
Play Count: 205
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:12 am

Just gonna say it, so glad Havana didn't win and ended up at #2.

Well deserved #1 imo :D. Great year end countdown, you did an amazing job! Thanks for letting me be apart of it.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:46 am

Redbone is a classic of the genre, already! A revelation.
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:49 am

Redbone is one of the meme-songs of the year.

So many version of ''Redbone'' online, it is a cultural phenomen.
What can I say about the original version? Decent song, with a very catchy beat.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:59 pm

omg I actually knew the song, but didn't know who sings it! it's a cool one, glad it won after all
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:27 am

'Havana' 8-) ! Love this one.
Not a big fan of 'Redbone' tbh.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi Akini :D

YES! :P :wink:

I'm about to leave the house so going to quickly post that i voted for Redbone in your poll. :D

I've noticed throughout the year just how much you've adored this track. When i first heard the song i actually thought it was an old song from around the early 80s, its definitely got a retro vibe about it. However, each time i gave it a listen i struggled to really get into the song. :( I can appreciate that its proven to be a song of key significance this year (well, that Donald Trump video above pretty much epitomises its cultural impact).

Have a wonderful time whatever you're doing to celebrate bringing in 2018. Have a happy new year, all the best for 2018. xx :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 am

'Redbone' is an incredible song, easily one of the best songs of recent years! 'Havana' is also incredible, can't help but strut when I listen to that song when it comes on my commute to work :lol:
Anywhere is one of Rita's best songs, if not her best!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Eeeek not sure I have even heard Redbone, I will try and remember to listen. Havana is a great pop song so I can see why it's so high for you... How Far I'll Go is an amazing song but I am here for Miss Cara singing it instead!

Great to follow as ever
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:20 pm

'How Far I'll Go' is a bop, better than any Frozen song IMO. Although I prefer the Alessia version.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Goldmoney » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 pm

An epic top 2! 8-)
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm

JimJim wrote:'How Far I'll Go' is a bop, better than any Frozen song IMO. Although I prefer the Alessia version.
Lets not get crazy..... :lol:
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Havana is such a good song! Glad it made it so high, it's the epitome of a great pop track

Anywhere is a bop, too! One of Rita's best songs, although i got over it quickly

Redbone is a really good song, Childish Gambino is so talented
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby Grybop » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:02 pm

Many songs I like, quite a few I don't or disagree with you on your viewpoint (Ed Sheeran, Hurts, Taylor Swift), a couple I like, but they somehow passed me by, because I only heard a couple of times, then didn't bother checking out again (Lorde, your #1).
No denying, however, that you write very well, I really enjoyed reading through your chart :)
They need rappers like me
So they can get on their ****' keyboards and make me the bad guy, Chun-Li
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Return to Year End Personal Charts