Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2017?

Anywhere
13%
Bodak Yellow
33%
Despacito
7%
Havana
20%
How Far I'll Go
No votes
I Don't Wanna Live Forever
7%
Lost on You
No votes
Redbone
7%
Scars to Your Beautiful
No votes
That's What I Like
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:28 pm

You are being so good about checking in on my countdown and I didn't even look at other people's year ends until now, but I’ll just make some notes as I read 8-)

1. Bubbling Under –Sigh quite a few songs that I like that didn’t make the main list, though I agree more than half of those songs are bubbling under material. Infuriating how Cardi B’s two features ran out of time to make the top 100. :lol: Kind of surprised Humble missed the cut, though I never embraced it enough to chart it myself. You have a couple of songs in here that made my top 15. I can see how Attention might not have caught fire with you, just missing out on the big list as it was a (very) slow burn for me as well.
2. I love your intro to #100 because this same thought occurs to me as I look at my year-end list – it was a serious step down compared to previous years in terms of diversity and I aim to rectify that in 2018.
3. I can’t at Wolves outpeaking It Ain’t Me :lol: I wanted to like Wolves because I otherwise liked all things Selena this year, but it just hasn’t moved me.
4. I didn’t chart the Gabbani song, but I appreciate it for what it is. I gave it a few courtesy listesns and it wasn’t for me, but that it managed to capture so much attention on UKmix is one reason I like this site.
5. Love that a Christmas song made your top 100, but I much prefer Mimi’s other Xmas song that she released. S :P
6. I am shallow and saw hot IMRi looked, so I listened to the song having never heard it before and love it. :lol:
7. Awww, Fremont in Vegas. I was there in April! ;)
8. Your write-up on No Roots makes me wonder about your background!
9. Miranda Lambert’s Tin Man! I was terrible about charting country this year – usually four or five make it through, but I really should have given this more spins.
10. Dusk Til Dawn was a HUGE miss for me – as you know, I love both of them – Sia has been huge on my chart for years, but despite the cool video and this intriguing combination it just kind of fell flat for me. One of the most disappointing singles of 2017 for me :cry:
11. YESSS Martin & Dua – and I agree – definitely his best song to date :o
12. OK that’s the first two pages I will come back to the rest of the pages later as this is already a word wall :oops:
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Nice to see "Havana" at number one. I may be not the biggest fan of it, but i can't deny that it's a very well done song.

Unfortunately, and i hope you will forgive me for this, but... i never heard your #1 :o Until the Grammy nominations i didn't even hear about this song. Really have to check it out ASAP as it's getting so much critical acclaim...
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:57 pm

So, I finally have had a chance to circle back and comment :D

1. I didn’t chart Trey Songz, but I appreciate his uhmm, commitment to sex. He’s one of the finest looking men in music :D
2. Boys – the little clink in that song has always delighted me. It sounds like a point in a Mario game, which is so appropriate because a) obsession with boys is kind of an immature thing; b) adult boys do have a thing for video games and c) it’s almost as if each boy she thinks bout is worth another point.
3. I like the lyrics of Pray better than the singer.
4. I agree Tinashe is quite underrated and I’m not sure why it hasn’t happened for her. I thought Flame would so much better than it did.
5. Sorry Not Sorry that I hate that Demi song – I don’t know what it is about Demi – I guess she comes off as a bitch to me anyhow, so Sorry Not Sorry comes off as pretty extra for her. Plus I’ve always hated that phrase. :D
6. Feels got less love from me than it really should have. It’s my favorite thing Katy did all year. I wish she had gone this irection with her album.
7. SZAs The Weekend is incredible and I wish I had charted it! And I like the lack of resolution because that’s reality. She’s set up an unwinnable situation for herself and sometimes you stay in extremely unhealthy situations because to extricate yourself means confronting that you made a bad decision.
8. Niall was always my favorite – “least attractive” OMG!
9. Destra vs. Lucy! Ha, I remember that from FSC. I can’t remember how I ranked it. I think I liked it, but it needs to be about 30 seconds shorter because that song is exhausting.
10. I’m surprised New Rules was your first Dua song – she ruled 2016 pretty hard for me. I hope you’ve had a chance to explore some of the songs from the previous year!
11. SO glad to see Crying in the Club so high on your chart – because everyone else seems to want to pretend that this never existed. Including Camilla, and it’s painful to see such a great lead single (and now not one) paid dust like that.
12. OMG, this run from 19-16 where you and I both have songs that made our year end top 20. It’s so beautiful :cry: (Perfect may have to wait until 2018 to show up).
13. Cardi B at #15, I’m so disappointed :cry: But Sia at #12 is a nice surprise. :)
14. I am delayed in my love for Anywhere as I was busy listening to Christmas music while all of UKmix was losing their mind over it, but I am definitely a fan and I can understand its top five placement!
15. Camilla really brought it with Havana – disappointed she didn’t nab #1 after all, but it is definitely one of the songs of the year.
16. And Redbone! I completely missed the boat on this one – always liked it but it never quite got me to chart it. I will say that it’s inclusion in Get Out made me love it a bit more – haha.

Great countdown, Akini – as always, I enjoy your write-ups. I look forward to watching your chart in 2018!
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Just gonna say it, so glad Havana didn't win and ended up at #2.

Well deserved #1 imo :D. Great year end countdown, you did an amazing job! Thanks for letting me be apart of it.
No, thank you for choosing to be a part of it! Best wishes for 2018! :D

Thriller wrote:Redbone is a classic of the genre, already! A revelation.
Lemme co-sign this real quick. :lol:

heppolo wrote:Redbone is one of the meme-songs of the year.

So many version of ''Redbone'' online, it is a cultural phenomen.
What can I say about the original version? Decent song, with a very catchy beat.
Yeah, it had an impact well beyond its relatively 'decent' #12 US peak.

Carbon wrote:omg I actually knew the song, but didn't know who sings it! it's a cool one, glad it won after all
Glad you like it!

Benjamin wrote:'Havana' 8-) ! Love this one.
Not a big fan of 'Redbone' tbh.
Yeah, "Havana" has a hook that sticks like glue. "Redbone" is more of a grower, so you may find yourself enjoying it more with a few extra spins. :wink:

JakeP wrote:Hi Akini :D

YES! :P :wink:

I'm about to leave the house so going to quickly post that i voted for Redbone in your poll. :D

I've noticed throughout the year just how much you've adored this track. When i first heard the song i actually thought it was an old song from around the early 80s, its definitely got a retro vibe about it. However, each time i gave it a listen i struggled to really get into the song. :( I can appreciate that its proven to be a song of key significance this year (well, that Donald Trump video above pretty much epitomises its cultural impact).

Have a wonderful time whatever you're doing to celebrate bringing in 2018. Have a happy new year, all the best for 2018. xx :wink:
Yeah, when I saw the lone vote for "Redbone," I figured it was you!

All the best for 2018 to you as well! <3

UKMusicLova wrote:'Redbone' is an incredible song, easily one of the best songs of recent years! 'Havana' is also incredible, can't help but strut when I listen to that song when it comes on my commute to work :lol:
Anywhere is one of Rita's best songs, if not her best!
Glad you like both of the Top 2 songs!

king_oxymoron wrote:Eeeek not sure I have even heard Redbone, I will try and remember to listen. Havana is a great pop song so I can see why it's so high for you... How Far I'll Go is an amazing song but I am here for Miss Cara singing it instead!

Great to follow as ever
Early on last year, I realised I was in the minority (of two) on UKMix who preferred the Auli'i Cravalho interpretation. It's a fantastic song regardless, though!

JimJim wrote:'How Far I'll Go' is a bop, better than any Frozen song IMO. Although I prefer the Alessia version.
Hmm..."Let It Go" and "For the First Time in Forever" are two immense anthems, so I can't say I agree with you there!

Goldmoney wrote:An epic top 2! 8-)
Glad you think so! :D

thankfulforkelly wrote:Havana is such a good song! Glad it made it so high, it's the epitome of a great pop track

Anywhere is a bop, too! One of Rita's best songs, although i got over it quickly

Redbone is a really good song, Childish Gambino is so talented
He really is! I started watching Atlanta last night, and thought, "Is there anything this man can't do?"

Grybop wrote:Many songs I like, quite a few I don't or disagree with you on your viewpoint (Ed Sheeran, Hurts, Taylor Swift), a couple I like, but they somehow passed me by, because I only heard a couple of times, then didn't bother checking out again (Lorde, your #1).
No denying, however, that you write very well, I really enjoyed reading through your chart :)
Aw, thank you! Glad you enjoyed the write-ups. It's sometimes tricky to explain why it is that you like certain songs, when you're not 100% sure yourself half the time. :lol: It's a fun challenge, though.

Lorde's music this year definitely didn't click with me immediately - "Green Light" being the exception - but her stuff is certainly worth revisiting, so I'd recommend you giving her Melodrama LP a listen or two.

cheapthrills wrote:You are being so good about checking in on my countdown and I didn't even look at other people's year ends until now, but I’ll just make some notes as I read 8-)

1. Bubbling Under –Sigh quite a few songs that I like that didn’t make the main list, though I agree more than half of those songs are bubbling under material. Infuriating how Cardi B’s two features ran out of time to make the top 100. :lol: Kind of surprised Humble missed the cut, though I never embraced it enough to chart it myself. You have a couple of songs in here that made my top 15. I can see how Attention might not have caught fire with you, just missing out on the big list as it was a (very) slow burn for me as well.
2. I love your intro to #100 because this same thought occurs to me as I look at my year-end list – it was a serious step down compared to previous years in terms of diversity and I aim to rectify that in 2018.
3. I can’t at Wolves outpeaking It Ain’t Me :lol: I wanted to like Wolves because I otherwise liked all things Selena this year, but it just hasn’t moved me.
4. I didn’t chart the Gabbani song, but I appreciate it for what it is. I gave it a few courtesy listesns and it wasn’t for me, but that it managed to capture so much attention on UKmix is one reason I like this site.
5. Love that a Christmas song made your top 100, but I much prefer Mimi’s other Xmas song that she released. S :P
6. I am shallow and saw hot IMRi looked, so I listened to the song having never heard it before and love it. :lol:
7. Awww, Fremont in Vegas. I was there in April! ;)
8. Your write-up on No Roots makes me wonder about your background!
9. Miranda Lambert’s Tin Man! I was terrible about charting country this year – usually four or five make it through, but I really should have given this more spins.
10. Dusk Til Dawn was a HUGE miss for me – as you know, I love both of them – Sia has been huge on my chart for years, but despite the cool video and this intriguing combination it just kind of fell flat for me. One of the most disappointing singles of 2017 for me :cry:
11. YESSS Martin & Dua – and I agree – definitely his best song to date :o
12. OK that’s the first two pages I will come back to the rest of the pages later as this is already a word wall :oops:
Aw, thanks for playing catch-up!

1. "MotorSport" is Top 20 material sans Migos, and "No Limit" would have found its way inside my Top 50 had I postponed this countdown to January 2018.
2. Yeah, I always try to glean something positive even from the most devastating situations, so I have that incident to thank for forcing me to be more...aware of some of the nonsense I subconsciously enable.
3. Yeah, I think most people would side with you regarding "Wolves" vs. everything else Selena did this year.
4. I loved it pretty immediately. The Eurovision performance was fun to watch.
5. The "Lil Snowman" song? Hmm...I didn't like it.
6. Sometimes shallowness can come through for you. :lol:
7. Oh, really? Isn't it absolutely wonderful? :D
8. Ooh, I'll have to share one of these days.
9. That one was an early favourite when I checked out her album last year. Of course, nothing on the album was in the same zip code as "Vice".
10. I felt that way about "Dusk Till Dawn" until it randomly clicked with me.
11. That wasn't a tough call for me to make, considering I'm not sold on most of his other output.
12. Word walls are one kind of wall that I endorse building. :wink:

Tansike wrote:Nice to see "Havana" at number one. I may be not the biggest fan of it, but i can't deny that it's a very well done song.

Unfortunately, and i hope you will forgive me for this, but... i never heard your #1 :o Until the Grammy nominations i didn't even hear about this song. Really have to check it out ASAP as it's getting so much critical acclaim...
Check it out! I hope you enjoy it!

cheapthrills wrote:So, I finally have had a chance to circle back and comment :D

1. I didn’t chart Trey Songz, but I appreciate his uhmm, commitment to sex. He’s one of the finest looking men in music :D
2. Boys – the little clink in that song has always delighted me. It sounds like a point in a Mario game, which is so appropriate because a) obsession with boys is kind of an immature thing; b) adult boys do have a thing for video games and c) it’s almost as if each boy she thinks bout is worth another point.
3. I like the lyrics of Pray better than the singer.
4. I agree Tinashe is quite underrated and I’m not sure why it hasn’t happened for her. I thought Flame would so much better than it did.
5. Sorry Not Sorry that I hate that Demi song – I don’t know what it is about Demi – I guess she comes off as a bitch to me anyhow, so Sorry Not Sorry comes off as pretty extra for her. Plus I’ve always hated that phrase. :D
6. Feels got less love from me than it really should have. It’s my favorite thing Katy did all year. I wish she had gone this irection with her album.
7. SZAs The Weekend is incredible and I wish I had charted it! And I like the lack of resolution because that’s reality. She’s set up an unwinnable situation for herself and sometimes you stay in extremely unhealthy situations because to extricate yourself means confronting that you made a bad decision.
8. Niall was always my favorite – “least attractive” OMG!
9. Destra vs. Lucy! Ha, I remember that from FSC. I can’t remember how I ranked it. I think I liked it, but it needs to be about 30 seconds shorter because that song is exhausting.
10. I’m surprised New Rules was your first Dua song – she ruled 2016 pretty hard for me. I hope you’ve had a chance to explore some of the songs from the previous year!
11. SO glad to see Crying in the Club so high on your chart – because everyone else seems to want to pretend that this never existed. Including Camilla, and it’s painful to see such a great lead single (and now not one) paid dust like that.
12. OMG, this run from 19-16 where you and I both have songs that made our year end top 20. It’s so beautiful :cry: (Perfect may have to wait until 2018 to show up).
13. Cardi B at #15, I’m so disappointed :cry: But Sia at #12 is a nice surprise. :)
14. I am delayed in my love for Anywhere as I was busy listening to Christmas music while all of UKmix was losing their mind over it, but I am definitely a fan and I can understand its top five placement!
15. Camilla really brought it with Havana – disappointed she didn’t nab #1 after all, but it is definitely one of the songs of the year.
16. And Redbone! I completely missed the boat on this one – always liked it but it never quite got me to chart it. I will say that it’s inclusion in Get Out made me love it a bit more – haha.

Great countdown, Akini – as always, I enjoy your write-ups. I look forward to watching your chart in 2018!
1. He really is a ridiculously attractive man. His videos recently haven't been playing to that particular strength of his, though, sadly.
2. Very insightful observation!
3. Same.
4. It's weird because some of the people you'd never expect strike it big, whereas others seem to plateau at a mid-tier level.
5. I hate the phrase, too, to be honest, but I love the attitude of the song.
6. Hmm...I think if the album sounded more like "Roulette" and "Chained to the Rhythm," I would've been okay.
7. Another good point!
8. Yeah, I don't think that anymore either. :lol:
9. You couldn't survive Carnival then. :lol:
10. I listened to her album, and thought the singles were pretty good.
11. "Crying in the Club" is epic, and I'm furious with her as well for abandoning it like that. You gotta learn to stand by your flops in this business. Mariah would never shirk "The Roof," or any of the masterpieces from Butterfly.
12. Glad you like that batch so much!
13. "Bodak Yellow" was outside of the Top 40 before November actually, so it's funny to me that everyone else is surprised that it isn't higher, as I thought #15 was golden compared to where I had it before. I do like Cardi B quite a lot, though, so perhaps my enthusiasm for her as a person spilled over into people thinking I rated "Bodak Yellow" more favourably than I actually do. "Move Your Body" was so close to the Top 10. That chorus made me want to put it as close to #1 as possible, to be frank.
14. Glad you appreciate it. It's her best since "I Will Never Let You Down" for me.
15. It's definitely one of the definitive tracks of 2017.
16. I've been seeing it pop up in so many black TV shows and films. First, Get Out and Dear White People, and now Atlanta.

Thank you! :D
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 pm

Full Recap

Code: Select all
136. Luke James - Drip
135. Coldplay - All I Can Think About Is You
134. Taylor Swift - Gorgeous
133. Cheat Codes - No Promises (feat. Demi Lovato)
132. Zayn - Still Got Time (feat. PARTYNEXTDOOR)
131. Troye Sivan - Heaven
130. Rita Ora - Your Song
129. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (feat. Quavo)
128. Shania Twain - Life's About to Get Good
127. Drake - Passionfruit
126. dvsn - Think About Me
125. The Weeknd - Reminder
124. The Weeknd - Rockin'
123. Remy Ma - Wake Me Up (feat. Lil Kim)
122. Sevyn Streeter - Before I Do
121. Ofenbach - Be Mine
120. Linkin Park - Heavy (feat. Kiiara)
119. Maroon 5 - Cold (feat. Future)
118. Chris Brown - Only 4 Me
117. Khalid - Young, Dumb & Broke
116. Kygo & Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me
115. Noah Cyrus - Make Me (Cry) [feat. Labrinth]
114. Logic - 1-800-273-8255 (feat. Alessia Kara & Khalid)
113. Anne-Marie - Ciao Adiós
112. Paramore - Fake Happy
111. Anastacia - Caught in the Middle
110. Jorja Smith - Teenage Fantasy
109. J. Cole - Neighbours
108. Harry Styles - Two Ghosts
107. Macklemore - Glorious (feat. Skylar Grey)
106. Steps - Story of a Heart
105. Kendrick Lamar - Humble
104. Chris Brown - Tempo
103. Migos, Nicki Minaj, & Cardi B - MotorSport
102. Charlie Puth - Attention
101. G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky & Cardi B)
100. Chris Brown - Questions
099. P!nk - What About Us
098. French Montana - Unforgettable (feat. Swae Lee)
097. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves
096. Chris Brown - Privacy
095. Frank Ocean - Chanel
094. Walk the Moon - One Foot
093. J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente (feat. Beyoncé)
092. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
091. David Guetta - Light My Body Up (feat. Nicki Minaj & Lil Wayne)
090. Kesha - Praying
089. Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma
088. Tank - When We
087. Mariah Carey - The Star
086. Pat Benatar - Dancing Through the Wreckage
085. IMRI - I Feel Alive
084. Demi Lovato - Sexy Dirty Love
083. Niall Horan - This Town
082. Justin Bieber & BloodPop - Friends
081. Sam Smith - Too Good at Goodbyes
080. Lady Antebellum - You Look Good
079. Kesha - Hymn
078. Imagine Dragons - Thunder
077. Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life (feat. The Weeknd)
076. Alice Merton - No Roots
075. John Mayer - Love on the Weekend
074. Imagine Dragons - Believer
073. P!nk - Beautiful Trauma
072. Jessie Ware - Selfish Love
071. Miranda Lambert - Tin Man
070. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling
069. Katy Perry - Swish Swish (feat. Nicki Minaj)
068. Big Sean - Bounce Back
067. Zayn - Dusk Till Dawn (feat. Sia)
066. Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to Be Lonely
065. Trey Songz - She Lovin It
064. Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor
063. DJ Khaled - I'm the One (feat. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, & Lil Wayne)
062. Zedd & Liam Payne - Get Low
061. Selena Gomez - Fetish (feat. Gucci Mane)
060. Charli XCX - Boys
059. Sam Smith - Pray
058. Lana Del Rey - Summer Bummer (feat. A$AP Rocky & Playboi Carti)
057. The Weeknd - Die for You
056. Tinashe - Flame
055. Terror Jr - Heartbreaks
054. Adam Lambert - Two Fux
053. Mariah Carey - I Don't (feat. YG)
052. Trey Songz - Animal
051. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry
050. Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
049. Sigala & Ella Eyre - Came Here for Love
048. Kelly Clarkson - Move You
047. John Legend - Penthouse Floor (feat. Chance the Rapper)
046. Lana Del Rey - Love
045. Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean)
044. SZA - The Weekend
043. Little Mix - Power
042. Christopher Jackson, Rachel House, Nicole Scherzinger, Auli'i Cravalho & Louise Bush - Where You Are
041. Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask
040. Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?
039. Niall Horan - Slow Hands
038. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill
037. Bruno Mars - Versace on the Floor
036. Steps - Scared of the Dark
035. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
034. Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)
033. Nicki Minaj, Drake, & Lil Wayne - No Frauds
032. Destra Garcia - Destra vs. Lucy
031. Lorde - Green Light
030. La La Land Cast - Another Day of Sun
029. Miley Cyrus - Malibu
028. Zay Hilfigerrr & Zayion McCall - Juju on That Beat (TZ Anthem)
027. DJ Khaled - Wild Thoughts (feat. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller)
026. Dua Lipa - New Rules
025. Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want
024. Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee - Despacito (feat. Justin Bieber)
023. Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
022. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times
021. Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes
020. Ed Sheeran - Perfect
019. Clean Bandit - Symphony (feat. Zara Larsson)
018. Lady Gaga - The Cure
017. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
016. Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
015. Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
014. Hurts - Beautiful Ones
013. DNCE - Kissing Strangers (feat. Nicki Minaj)
012. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
011. Sia - Move Your Body
010. LP - Lost on You
009. Toni Braxton - Deadwood
008. St. Beauty - Borders
007. Zayn & Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever
006. Alessia Cara - Scars to Your Beautiful
005. Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go
004. Rita Ora - Anywhere
003. Katy Perry - Roulette
002. Camila Cabello - Havana
001. Childish Gambino - Redbone
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts