Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2017?

Anywhere
13%
Bodak Yellow
33%
Despacito
7%
Havana
20%
How Far I'll Go
No votes
I Don't Wanna Live Forever
7%
Lost on You
No votes
Redbone
7%
Scars to Your Beautiful
No votes
That's What I Like
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Thriller wrote:Wild Thoughts was the best ratchet bop of the year, Rihanna's first verse is fire.

Dua's full breakthrough with New Rules was a great moment this year.
Glad you like "Wild Thoughts," and, yes, "New Rules" was a big pop highlight of 2017 for me.

king_oxymoron wrote:Yes, lots of good going on here!
Have you checked backwards on Dua since hearing New Rules? It's absolutely her big moment, huge pop track and creator of so many memes but she had such big hits beforehand... 'Last Dance', 'Hotter Than Hell' and 'Be The One' are particularly ace.

Loved the DJ Khaled track, great sample and superb delivery all round.

Malibu I thought was so boring and ill informed at first, like it now.

Green Light is inspired. Def one of the choruses of the year but I have to say I do love the verses too, they make it more a Lorde for me, they're a bit weirdly timed, with strange vocals and that gives it her left of centre edge.

The Ed tracks.. I was definitely team Shape Of You at first but have you ever heard a song so much? It remains a bop but for me, Castle on the Hill has been the one wit lasting appeal. Great storytelling, particularly the heartbreaking middle eight breakdown, and a rip roaring chorus,

Katy's tune was one of her best in an age, big fan.

Great to see Steps particularly as you're not UK based, they've done OK here chart wise but obviously nothing like the power they used to be, agree it was a big surprise of the year for them to excel. Niall though, NOT A SURPRISE to those who always knew haha.
I've actually checked out Dua's album in full - how could I not after hearing the loveliness of "New Rules" - and all those singles you mentioned are among the LP's highlights. Beyond the singles, though, I didn't find any keepers, unfortunately.

Yeah, I definitely agree that the verses are more Lorde, whereas the chorus feels like an average Carly Rae Jepsen song on synth steroids.

Trust me, the number of times you've heard "Shape of You" is likely dwarfed by the times I've heard "What's My Name?" That song was inescapable. I even heard it outside a church once.

Not UK based, but this site is perhaps the biggest influencer on my music taste, rivalled only by my own random explorations. That being said, I was bound to stumble upon the Steps song.

I have to give you the foresight kudos on Niall. :lol:
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:49 pm

025. Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want

Melodramatic lyrics crooned over gentle, starry synths, "Call It What You Want" was the most palatable of Taylor's pre-Reputation promotional and official single releases. Over the daydream-worthy production, Taylor laments about how her blossoming romance with her new love soothed her soul from the reputational damage done to her name and brand over the first three quarters of 2017. I love the tone of contentment surrounding her new relationship; she's so at ease, it seems, that she doesn't care to diminish the union's magical beauty by labelling it. It is what it is, and onlookers can call it what (they) want.
Code: Select all
Overall Rating: 9.2/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(2)
Play Count: 66

024. Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee - Despacito (feat. Justin Bieber)

The first of the poll options to fall, "Despacito" - the song that had the audacity to attempt to topple Mariah's (and Boyz II Men's) long-time US Hot 100 record - had the misfortune of being one of the biggest hits in music history that was somehow overshadowed by an even bigger hit in its year of release. Anyway, chart dominance aside - and I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't have minded much if this had beaten the 16 weeks record of "One Sweet Day," as I believe "Despacito is the superior song - "Despacito" enjoys an identifiable upgrade having Justin Bieber on the remix. The way he breathily rides those four syllables in the chorus, the degree of sensuality injected in that single-title lyric - it's unbelievable really. The rest of the song really moves around that centrepiece moment. I have fond memories of this song, as it featured in my night out at a club in Las Vegas. There was a large Latinx contingent that night, and when this song came on, the wildness that ensued was incredible. Definitely one of the most fun nights I had this year!
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 58

023. Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club

Speaking of that night in Vegas - this was the song that actually made me go out that wonderful Saturday night! I had just recently heard the song and was still piecing together how Camila, someone I had written off as a nonentity from an altogether overhyped and overexposed girl group, managed to deliver such a delectably dark club anthem. There are moments of sincere empathy and vulnerability in this song - which help provide some body to a song whose dance-pop genre doesn't usually see (or need) emotional depth - and when Camila commands that you let the music wash over all the heartache you walked into the doors with, you're instantly swayed to obey. Chalk this up as one of the most bizarre flops of the year, as dance-pop did not get much better than this one in 2017. Still, I was disappointed to hear "Crying in the Club" won't be included on Camila's upcoming debut LP. It deserves to be recognised as an early gem in a burgeoning career. Still, this Cinderella managed to find her missing hit in the end...and that one's, obviously, still to come.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(3)
Play Count: 102

022. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times

Zayn went straight to the bedroom anthem department, Liam enrolled in the how-to-be-like-Justin-Timberlake 10-day crash course and walked out with a certificate of attendance, Niall tried on a folk-pop hat, and Louis...well I never bothered to check out what Louis did for his debut release, but it was Harry Styles, my clear 1D favourite, who took a more serious, rock-influenced, Bowie-would-so-totally-approve-of-this route with the socially conscious "Sign of the Times". The escapist tone, where Harry's solution to the grim reality is to run away, is so powerfully brought to life in the very Harry Potter-esque accompanying music video. For me, this song was a clear indication that Harry had very early on found his sound; "Sign of the Times" is the kind of song he was born to sing. It's grand, lyrically superior to most of his contemporaries' work, and has this instantly classic sound. Only time will tell, but I think this will age well, and I expect Harry to be the most enduring of his 1D bandmates...though it's not looking like a certainty that he'll be the favourite of the five like I expected he would be.
Play Count: 91

021. Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes

The eclectic blend of rock and hip/hop isn't a unique concept - Jay-Z and Linkin Park released a collaborative album blending the two rarely paired genres 13-plus years ago - but I don't think it's ever been employed as skillfully as Imagine Dragons manage to execute it, both in the studio, and with their fantastic live performances (most notably with Kendrick Lamar at the 2014 Grammy Awards ceremony). On their best track since "Demons," we see rapped verses seamlessly segue into a booming rock chorus. The song is punctuated by actual punctuation! The almost unanimously accepted lyrical highlight is, I'm an apostrophe, I'm just a symbol to remind you that there's more to see, where Dan's intent is to illustrate that there's always more to people than what is identified at surface-level. The entire bridge is special, among the best - if not the actual best - they've ever done. Overall, the song's tone of blind dedication to the achievement of one's goals and dreams is one I can wholly relate to. It's an anthem, and just may be the band's best one yet.
Overall Rating: 9.3/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(4)
Play Count: 88
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:58 pm

Call It What You Want is so pretty and it took a while to grow on me

Despacito is annoying, but undeniably catchy. Justin is unnecessary

Crying in the Club is catchy but definitely generic. Still, it's a shame it won't be included on the album, Camila should own her flops and not sweep them under the rug
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:00 am

Great to see it quite high! Definitely a top song of hers, alongside OOTW.

Crying in a stall and Sign of my music decline are forgettable tunes.
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm

love "Wild Thoughts" and "Whatever It Takes" is definitely one of ID's best Songs so far. 8-)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:15 am

Not for me this set. Despacito I don't hate but don't love, Harry I thought was really boring.

Only Camila that I really liked, and I hated that at first too! Grown on me heaps though.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby heppolo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:34 am

good one, at least something refreshing in extremely bland pop music climate of today
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Carbon wrote:Call It What You Want is so pretty and it took a while to grow on me

Despacito is annoying, but undeniably catchy. Justin is unnecessary

Crying in the Club is catchy but definitely generic. Still, it's a shame it won't be included on the album, Camila should own her flops and not sweep them under the rug
I agree! :lol:

SummerPeur wrote:025. Taylor Swift - Call It What You Want

Great to see it quite high! Definitely a top song of hers, alongside OOTW.

Crying in a stall and Sign of my music decline are forgettable tunes.
Aw, I think they're lovely. :lol: Glad you at least appreciate "Call It What You Want". Did you enjoy Reputation overall?

luckyONE wrote:love "Wild Thoughts" and "Whatever It Takes" is definitely one of ID's best Songs so far. 8-)
Definitely! It's right behind "Demons" for me.

king_oxymoron wrote:Not for me this set. Despacito I don't hate but don't love, Harry I thought was really boring.

Only Camila that I really liked, and I hated that at first too! Grown on me heaps though.
This set will be more up your alley. 8-)

heppolo wrote:022. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times

good one, at least something refreshing in extremely bland pop music climate of today
Yeah, I thought it was definitely a refreshing change of pace from what we normally hear these days!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Just Harry for me, which I really rated but it was a bit long for replay value.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Thriller wrote:Just Harry for me, which I really rated but it was a bit long for replay value.
Glad you appreciate that one! I thought its runtime was okay, but I suppose nearly six minutes is a bit much. Like Bowie, though, Harry manages to keep me entertained for the full ride.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:11 pm

020. Ed Sheeran - Perfect

The highest Ed Sheeran entry this year, "Perfect" very nearly accomplishes the goal Ed had when he sat down to write it - it is his second most romantic song of his love-ballad-heavy career. The sweeping chorus really elevates this song to heights Ed hasn't seen since "Thinking Out Loud," and I think his voice here is a big selling point; it is one of his best vocal performances yet, if not his absolute best. The solo version, for me, is where all the magic lies; the Beyoncé remix was shockingly pointless.
Play Count: 40

019. Clean Bandit - Symphony (feat. Zara Larsson)

A masterclass in classical-pop production - who else even does classical-pop these days? - "Symphony" is a gorgeously smooth ride from string one to string umpteenth. Zara's voice is a perfect match for this song, and the music video is easily among the most powerful clips I've seen all year.
Play Count: 59

018. Lady Gaga - The Cure

"The Cure" works because of Lady Gaga's earnest vocals. By no stretch of the imagination is this in the vicinity of her best-produced songs, but there's an authentic rawness in Gaga's pledge of loyalty, and everything else about the song is subordinated to supporting role.
Play Count: 77

017. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still

A hodgepodge of rock, funk, and pop sounds, the groovy gem "Feel It Still" was perhaps the most pleasantly surprising big hit of the year for me. You'd think there would be no place in the US Top 10 for a song like this, but somehow it broke through due, in no small part, to the insane infectiousness of this song's eclectic sound. It is one of the most unifying moments in music of 2017, appealing to fans of pop, rock, and alternative music.
Play Count: 80

016. Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft

In the battle of dual lead singles, I didn't favour "Love So Soft" early on, as the more straightforward vocal styling and lyricism of "Move You" made the bigger initial resonance. Fast forward a few days later, and the beat drop on "Love So Soft" inevitably hooked me in its soul/pop/R&B/trap charms and I conceded defeat. This is the kind of song that makes me proud to be an American Idol fan, as here you have the very first winner of the series delivering one of the strongest vocal performances of the year, complemented by all the confidence we first saw from the Idol graduate in her Breakaway days, and a special appearance from Earth Wind & Fire on the roaring, funk-laden, Aretha-Franklin-would-approve instrumental.
Play Count: 77
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Clean Bandit and Portugal. The Man the big highlights there, both amazing! P.TM would've been a huge hit in 2006.
Thriller

Postby luckyONE » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:28 pm

almost "perfect" Batch :P

"PERFECT" is my favorite Ed Sheeran song (replaced "The A Team" on my list).

"Symphony" is my second favorite Clean Bandit single (after "REAL LOVE").

"Love so Soft" was a positive surprise from Kelly Clarkson. I like that one. :)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:22 am

I love Despacito, Symphony, and Feel It Still - great tracks! Especially the latter, although I can't stop singing "ooh wait a minute mr postman" to it :lol:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:52 am

JSparksFan wrote: Did you enjoy Reputation overall?
Yeah I did actually - If I like at least 65% of the album, then I call it a win 8-)

Great song!

This is GAGA back on top TBH. Shame it was a throwaway. :cry:
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Thriller wrote:Clean Bandit and Portugal. The Man the big highlights there, both amazing! P.TM would've been a huge hit in 2006.
Glad you like those two! :)

luckyONE wrote:almost "perfect" Batch :P

"PERFECT" is my favorite Ed Sheeran song (replaced "The A Team" on my list).

"Symphony" is my second favorite Clean Bandit single (after "REAL LOVE").

"Love so Soft" was a positive surprise from Kelly Clarkson. I like that one. :)
Three out of five? So Gaga and Portugal. The Man spoil a perfect set for me? :lol:

UKMusicLova wrote:I love Despacito, Symphony, and Feel It Still - great tracks! Especially the latter, although I can't stop singing "ooh wait a minute mr postman" to it :lol:
I love that song, too, actually. :lol:

SummerPeur wrote:Yeah I did actually - If I like at least 65% of the album, then I call it a win 8-)
Ah, good to hear! :D

SummerPeur wrote:
Great song!
Glad you think so, too. :)

SummerPeur wrote:
This is GAGA back on top TBH. Shame it was a throwaway. :cry:
She could've pushed it more, certainly, and even better she could've released "Dancin' in Circles," but perhaps she's just readying herself for another big pop era. Or maybe she'll go to Vegas and collab with Tony Bennett for the rest of her career. Either way, she has my support.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:37 pm

015. Cardi B - Bodak Yellow

The second of the poll options to fall - and also this year's most popular poll option per the voting count - "Bodak Yellow," my favourite hip/hop moment of 2017, crashes out. It was a summer day in June that I first heard this song, as one of my co-workers suggested I check it out. I remember listening to it on my lunch break, and returning with the verdict that the song was trash on all counts: lyrically, flow-wise, melodically. Fast forward to a random night out with a friend at a club in late August, and this song comes on and everyone goes mad. Even I, remembering a lyric or two, join in on the fun. It was around this time that I asked another co-worker if she liked the song, and, if so, why. She said it's basically a come-up song, with Cardi B, a former stripper, commenting on her rise in the hip/hop game, boasting about the fact that (she) don't gotta dance, (she) makes money moves. I find a lot of songs with heavy trap influences to be difficult to digest, and "Bodak Yellow," without a big, identifiable hook to cling onto, was difficult to get into at first, but learning a bit more of Cardi B's back-story, and watching some of her hilarious video clips on social media, I got into the song because it comes from an authentic place, and it capitalises on Cardi B's big personality. The swagger she has as she proudly storms from one verse to the next is impressive, as are some of her more sexual lines, and this marks the first time since Nicki Minaj's big debut in 2010 that I'm really excited for a female rapper's debut LP.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(5)
Play Count: 193

014. Hurts - Beautiful Ones

I never thought Hurts would ever record something of the same calibre as "Wonderful Life," but the duo returned in 2017 with every intention of proving me wrong, and prove me wrong they did with "Beautiful Ones". First off, I have to say that the music video is my favourite video of the year - just amazing stuff. The chorus is also such a massive pop moment. It feels like it picks up right where "Wonderful Life" left off, moving from encouraging its listeners to cling on to whatever remnants of life remained, to going out into the world and living your very best life, confident and secure in your individuality. It's a feel-good, empowerment song that I think a lot of us needed to hear this year.
Play Count: 87

013. DNCE - Kissing Strangers (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Another surprising moment from familiar faces, "Kissing Strangers" improved on the already high standard set by the band's previous smash hit "Cake by the Ocean," but its chart performance would suggest that I was the only one this year who cared for it. Anyway, abysmal and undeserved underperformance aside, "Kissing Strangers" was a triumphant, millennial-targeting pop moment of 2017. The ridiculously catchy Na na na na na na na na hook as Joe Jonas croons about casual flings - Kissing strangers 'til I find someone I love - is just so carefree and fun that it even manages to draw from Nicki Minaj her best verse and flow of the year. That's the magic of pop music!
Overall Rating: 9.4/10
Play Count: 78

012. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like

Melding the new jack swing sound of yesteryear with the R&B/soul/trap modern sensibilities of mainstream music, "That's What I Like" sees Bruno reprising his role of 70s womaniser from "24K Magic," with far more sensual impact and artistic achievement than its predecessor single. This song was actually my favourite US chart-topper of 2017, and confirmation that streaming had not taken a stab to another one of my favourite '10s artists' career. It's the third poll option to fall.
Overall Rating: 9.4/10
Play Count: 115

011. Sia - Move Your Body

Yet another one of Sia's chorus-heavy songs, this song's hook is wild. I always envision a crazy jungle party when the chorus comes on, and I always end up dancing whenever I listen to it. Sia needn't have bothered to seek out any DJs for pointless remixes; the album version is terrific, a dancefloor anthem of epic proportions.
Overall Rating: 9.5/10
Play Count: 78
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:33 am

What even is Bodak Yellow?
Thriller

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:42 am

Thriller wrote:What even is Bodak Yellow?
Same. Such a bad song as well.

Watched her on a talk show, wanna be Fran Drescher in the way she talks and movements. It was almost embarrassing to watch.

Just re-listened to this. Great song! Almost deserving of Top10 TBH.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Move Your Body is a stomper! she should've used it better I think, it could've been bigger
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:08 am

Thriller wrote:What even is Bodak Yellow?
The best hip/hop song of 2017. 8-)

SummerPeur wrote:Same. Such a bad song as well.

Watched her on a talk show, wanna be Fran Drescher in the way she talks and movements. It was almost embarrassing to watch.
Hmm...I definitely don't get Fran Drescher from Cardi B, but she is a character! Love her.

SummerPeur wrote:Just re-listened to this. Great song! Almost deserving of Top10 TBH.
It's so exceptional! You need to watch the video, if you haven't seen it already.

Carbon wrote:Move Your Body is a stomper! she should've used it better I think, it could've been bigger
I agree. It sounded like a massive hit.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:05 am

010. LP - Lost on You

A toast to a failed relationship, "Lost on You" is LP's therapy session as she comes to grip with the ending of a relationship. The pain, confusion, and frustration in the lyrics are so palpable, as she contemplates whether everything she poured into the relationship was lost on someone who could not, at that point in time, appreciate the value of her devotion. The stripped instrumental arrangement during the verses really aid in hitting home the emotion in LP's vocals, and even when the melody intensifies a bit during the chorus, the focus is never shifted from LP's voice and those reflective lyrics. I have Jake(P) to thank for introducing me to this gem. The haunting Aws at the end are a perfect finishing touch.
Play Count: 90

009. Toni Braxton - Deadwood

I love a song with some bite in it, and Toni's stubbornness to succumb to the hurt and betrayal hinted at in "Deadwood" is just the kind of attitude I think we should all have in hand as we take on life's innumerable and random challenges, but is Toni's stubbornness genuine on "Deadwood"? It's refreshing when big vocalists amble through songs, as sometimes bombast isn't needed to convey the message, and Toni's vocal restraint on "Deadwood" only amplifies its emotion. When Toni croons, Don't you go, the facade of strength is obliterated and we learn that she's not as far into the healing process as she thought.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(6)
Play Count: 93

008. St. Beauty - Borders

Introduced to me by way of the hit HBO show Insecure, "Borders" soundtracked the internal conflict endured by lead protagonist Issa, as she comes to an emotional crossroads between the feelings she has for her boyfriend and the feelings she has for a former flame. The most poignant line on "Borders" arrives early, in the first verse: Tell me where to go when the love has died. And even after three minutes of haunting background vocal coos, soul-funk melodies, and a road trip halfway to Mexico, halfway to Tokyo, we never quite arrive at the answer.
Overall Rating: 9.6/10
Play Count: 97

007. Zayn & Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever

For a second year in a row - this time with much stiffer competition than in 2016 - Zayn is my highest ranked 1D band member on my year-end songs countdown. Plaudits are in order for his duet partner, as the Zayn/Taylor Swift combo, which seemed peculiar on paper, worked rather terrifically on this sweeping, mid-tempo, lusty, romance ballad. Zayn's falsetto is gorgeous here, totally swoon-worthy. Taylor does well with her interpretation of the immortality vs. heartbreak conundrum. She also has the privilege of delivering the song's best line, Wondering if I dodged a bullet, or just lost the love of my life. I feel you on that, T-Swizzle.
Play Count: 110

006. Alessia Cara - Scars to Your Beautiful

A big message song, "Scars to Your Beautiful" is an anthem to remind everyone that there are no flaws in our outer beauty; there is no need for make-up, concealers, wigs, dramatic and unhealthy weight loss regiments, and I took the message even further to mean that there isn't anything wrong with not meeting the societal definition of beauty both on the outside and on the inside. And you don't have to change a thing, the world could change its heart - I only wish the lyric could be amended to, The world will change its heart.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(4)
Play Count: 153
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:32 pm

You're right, I very much enjoyed 20-16!

Kelly marking a maturing in her sound has resulted in some really special material and Love So Soft is at the forefront of that, I really like it. As you know I think The Cure is really nice but not incredible, I think it was the correct career move, though. Perfect - while not perfect - is wonderful and as you say a real high point vocally for him, same as Dive. And Symphony is just some kind of special brilliance where pretty much all the boxes get a tick, it all just fits.

The latest set... well.. I don't know most of it and you know my take on the Zaylor duet so let me just say thank god for Alessia which I believe was in my top 3 last year. Such a beautiful track and an important message,

Sia.. incredible pack a punch chorus, Bruno is cute and funky but didn't compel me to include, never got Bodak Yellow, we never really heard much of Kissing Strangers here though I remember it being quite funky. Along with Hurts I'll ry and listen again as I really like them but don't remember this particular track. Saw them in August and they were superb,
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:12 pm

Damn, i've been way to busy lately! Time to catch up now... :oops:

064. Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor
062. Zedd & Liam Payne - Get Low
061. Selena Gomez - Fetish (feat. Gucci Mane)

Nice group. Liam is way too underrated IMO. "Bedroom Floor" was a nice pop song and not much weaker than "Strip That Down", so i'm surprised it didn't do better. The flop of "Get Low" was even more shocking, as it's my favorite song by Liam and also one of Zedd's best to me.
Love "Fetish", but i prefer "Bad Liar" to it...

060. Charli XCX - Boys
059. Sam Smith - Pray
058. Lana Del Rey - Summer Bummer (feat. A$AP Rocky & Playboi Carti)
057. The Weeknd - Die for You

Interesting ones. I like all of them, but i think all of them are also far from being the best ones of their albums (or overall, when it comes to Charli).

054. Adam Lambert - Two Fux
051. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry

Two VERY weak songs for the artists standards.

050. Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
048. Kelly Clarkson - Move You
046. Lana Del Rey - Love

Surprised LWYMMD didn't end up higher :o Definitely a highlight of the year for me, and a good 'comeback' for Taylor. The video was such an event... i mean, a video didn't get that much of attention for ages (probably since Gaga's hey-days).
Love "Love", "Move You" is nice.

045. Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean)
043. Little Mix - Power
041. Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask

"Feels" is amazing and definitely in my personal Calvin Top3 (together with his two Ellie collabos). A big highlight of 2017 for me as well, and it was nice to see Katy still scoring a hit...

040. Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?
039. Niall Horan - Slow Hands
038. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill
037. Bruno Mars - Versace on the Floor

Strong group! Love "Ready For It?", it's actually as strong as LWYMMD for me. It really depends on my mood which one i prefer.
"Slow Hands" is Niall's best single to date, but here's hope he will release his collaboration with Maren Morris next, as that one is waiting to smash 8-)

035. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
034. Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)
031. Lorde - Green Light

All three are also highlight for me, so very pleased to see them all in your Top40!

029. Miley Cyrus - Malibu
026. Dua Lipa - New Rules

...and another two highlight from me too! I'm still shocked how Miley went from this big hit to the disaster that was the albums performance. "Malibu" definitely belongs to the best pop songs released in 2017. Same for Dua actually, what a lucky choice for a single! I think people already expected the era to be over for her and then she releases this and turns things around.

023. Camila Cabello - Crying in the Club
021. Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes

You will probably hate me after this but "Crying In The Club" is actually by far my favorite song by Camila so far... :oops: I can't believe she won't put it on the album!
Anyways, really like the other three songs in this group as well. "Whatever It Takes" will be a hit in 2018 for me, while "Sign Of The Times" was a perfect solo debut for Harry, and "Call It What You Want" grew on me a lot when the album came out. Wouldn't mind if they will release this as a single in the second half of 2018.

020. Ed Sheeran - Perfect

016. Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft

Two answer your question for "Symphony": Lindsey Stirling, maybe? :P
While i LOOOVE to see "Symphony" in your Top20, i actually was hoping for a Top10 placement. Definitely one of the strongest released of the year, simply adore it!
"Perfect" is nearly perfect. Definitely up there with Ed's best tracks to date. Also love "The Cure", should have been a big return to the Top10s all over the world for Gaga.

015. Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
012. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
011. Sia - Move Your Body

No Top10 for Cardi B :o :o :o
SHOCKING!!
Anyways, #15 is still amazing for a debut single, and i'm really looking forward to her debut album.
Sia's "Move Your Body" is my favorite one in this group, really pleased with its great placement.

010. LP - Lost on You
006. Alessia Cara - Scars to Your Beautiful

Good start into the Top10. LP was in my Top10 last year, so i love to see her appearance on your Top10 this year. "Lost On You" is simply beautiful.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:08 pm

That LP song is class! Such a Gwen vocal too. I'd forgotten about it on my countdown, it might've snuck in.

Nice Alessia track too.
Thriller

Return to Year End Personal Charts