Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2017?

Anywhere
13%
Bodak Yellow
33%
Despacito
7%
Havana
20%
How Far I'll Go
No votes
I Don't Wanna Live Forever
7%
Lost on You
No votes
Redbone
7%
Scars to Your Beautiful
No votes
That's What I Like
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:19 pm

050. Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do

After her character assassination on social media following the revelation that America's sweetheart doesn't always pick up when the truth calls, Taylor Swift decided that if she couldn't shake the brand of 'snake,' she might as well embrace it, and embrace it she did, using serpent imagery on the promotional videos for this song's music video, and in the video itself. As for the actual song, the production is impressive, and the pre-chorus sets the stage for an epic main course, which never quite arrives. I give her props for the I've got a list of names line, which feels very Arya Stark, and the music video is definitely among the finest clips of the year, particularly the last 30 seconds where all of Taylor's alter egos are lined up quarreling with each other, but I must say that I was underwhelmed by this, never mind my decision to include it in the upper half of my year-end list. By Taylor's own standards, this is easily in the bottom three of her lead singles, alongside debut song "Tim McGraw" and predecessor lead "Shake It Off".
Code: Select all
Overall Rating: 8.5/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 39

049. Sigala & Ella Eyre - Came Here for Love

A trop-pop bassline, Ella Eyre's passionate and soaring vocals, and earnest lyrics of one's romantic intentions, "Came Here for Love" was head and shoulders above the standard dance-pop summer anthem of 2017. It's one of those tracks with an elementary verse-prechorus-chorus structure, so there's no curveball once you've gotten through the first chorus, which dulls the excitement slightly (it loses minor marks for absence of spontaneity) but overall this is another win for Ella Eyre, who proved a few years ago with "Comeback" that she's one of the brightest new female acts the UK has to offer.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #2
Play Count: 24

048. Kelly Clarkson - Move You

With Adele somewhere in East Grinstead enjoying half an Album of the Year Grammy award, it was up to Kelly Clarkson to fulfill our soul-pop needs, and "Move You" was her first swing at the challenge. I absolutely love the song's lyrical progression - she builds with each verse to higher levels of emotional intensity, with a gorgeous climax in verse three involving solemn Hallelujahs and a soldier falling holding his country's flag. I felt like this song picked up where "Some Kind of Miracle" left off 14 years ago, as this feels like an excerpt right out of the Aretha Franklin playbook. Though I think the song could have ascended to even greater heights, I knew once I heard this song that we were getting an album superior to Piece by Piece, and I was very, very right.
Play Count: 59

047. John Legend - Penthouse Floor (feat. Chance the Rapper)

One of several socially conscious songs on my list this year, "Penthouse Floor" speaks to the divide between those whose lives are marked by opulence and excess, and those who live with day-to-day survival as the focal point. John Legend speaks to the privilege of ignorance those in the 'penthouse floor' have about the true state of affairs for the bottom-of-the-pyramid majority. I love how the song moves from the protagonist aspiring to reach the heights of the 'penthouse floor' so that he can soak in the ignorance and bliss to declaring towards the end, We'll tear down the penthouse doors to make the 'bounty' accessible to the majority. Props to Chance the Rapper for delivering an excellent verse infused with sarcasm, wit, introspection, and harsh realism.
Overall Rating: 8.6/10
Play Count: 32

046. Lana Del Rey - Love

A love letter addressed to her younger fans, "Love" sees Lana channeling her inner aunt, and reflecting on the beauty and power within youth. She even provides a word of caution, Seeing so much, you could get the blues, but that don't mean you should abuse it, which, in a world littered with demoralising news stories by the hour, feels like relevant advice. Though Lana's songs typically take on a sombre tone, this song is rife with optimism and hope, which is something artists surely felt audiences needed more of in 2017. The overriding message of the song feels like a 'love conquers all' perspective, that even with all the chaos and corruption being revealed, love is enough, and it always will be enough.
Play Count: 40
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:39 pm

LWYMMD is one of my favourite Taylor songs, love the structure, the sample and the lyrics. I mean, it is petty and all, but as you said, she just embraced her reputation. The video helped me love the song even more.

Love is just beautiful, and you described it perfectly!
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Carbon wrote:LWYMMD is one of my favourite Taylor songs, love the structure, the sample and the lyrics. I mean, it is petty and all, but as you said, she just embraced her reputation. The video helped me love the song even more.

Love is just beautiful, and you described it perfectly!
She embraced it too much, I'd say, on her album. I know that was the theme, but still. :lol:

Glad you love "Love"!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:02 pm

045. Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, & Big Sean)

You don't hear much disco music on the radio these days, so when I heard "Feels," the ABBA-scented aroma was too much to resist. I think all the featured acts do a good job on the track, but it's Katy who shines brightest, as she's tasked with - and executes rather skillfully - the heavyweight....or, in this instance, lightweight chorus. All parties involved do a great job of keeping the song fun and frothy, which gave it all the necessary ingredients to be a massive summer smash everywhere in the world...save for the US.
Play Count: 32

044. SZA - The Weekend

On "The Weekend," SZA narrates the tale of a time-sharing arrangement between multiple women involving a man. The 'side-chick' is initially confused that the man is even approaching her considering he's got a girlfriend, but said 'side-chick' has physical needs, too, so she establishes boundaries with an aim not to develop an emotional attachment, I don't care as long as you're here by 10:30, no later than, drop them drawers, give me what I want. Said unwanted emotional attachment forms anyway - I mean I'm saying what kind of deal is two days? I need me at least 'bout four of them - as the various parties involved (the chorus suggests that there are as many as three women sharing this man, as SZA sings My man is my man is your man, heard it's her man, too) lobby to get as much time as they require to fulfill their needs. I absolutely love the message of the song, as so many people, whether or not they feel comfortable enough to openly express it, are against monogamous relationships, and would much rather explore their options indefinitely. Of course, such arrangements usually end with somebody catching 'feels' and being against the whole time-sharing plan, but it was great of SZA to explore this reality in such detail, even if the track lacks the one thing I was looking for - resolution.
Play Count: 34

043. Little Mix - Power

I have to thank Marcus for introducing me to this, as I would have missed it since I haven't really been following Little Mix for a while now. This, though, is a fantastic feminist anthem, where the girls demand acknowledgement of their equality to their male counterparts. You're the man, but I got the power; you make it rain, but I make it shower is a declaration that whatever superiority the unidentified male(s) feels he is inherently born with is matched - and perhaps even exceeded in some departments - by the girls' power. It's got a very by-the-numbers structure, but the chorus is a roof-raiser, as the girls prove for the umpteenth time that they're the best vocal girl group in the world right now.
Play Count: 23

042. Christopher Jackson, Rachel House, Nicole Scherzinger, Auli'i Cravalho & Louise Bush - Where You Are

2014 saw Frozen as the Disney film with a huge impact on my year-end charts; this year, it's Moana. On "Where You Are," various parties attempt to convince Moana to find happiness right where she is, to be content with what it is that she's grown up with, and to assume the mantle that will be handed down to her by her father to lead the village into the future. Moana's grandmother, however, counters the advice given by Moana's parents, telling her only duty is to follow her heart. Having grown up on a small island, this is one of the most relatable songs of the year for me.
Overall Rating: 8.7/10
Play Count: 43

041. Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask

A post-break-up-blues offering, with a melancholic melody and tear-jerking lyrics - My shadow's dancing without you for the first time - "Too Much to Ask" does the same thing "This Town" did, but to a more effective degree, which is to take Niall's strengths as 1D's top storyteller and to channel his powers as an empath into a heartfelt, relatable ballad, where the protagonist, still coming to grips with the loss of his lover, desperately dreams of reconciliation, though the sombre tone and instruments suggest that this is a dream that will remain as such. Kudos also to producer Greg Kurstin for providing the perfect backdrop for Niall to shine.
Overall Rating: 8.8/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #8
Play Count: 20
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:05 pm

Feels is such a nice feel-good bop! I listened to it a lot this summer.

SZA is also quite interesting, though I'm yet to get into her fully. Another song of hers made my year-end list.
Carbon
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 pm

Interesting you think that about Demi's album, I think it's wonderful and while I have listened to SNS a lot, none of Demi's single output has stuck with me enough to still love it to this day. Album tracks I love galore though

Taylor is decent, but she had better even this era. Love Came Here For Love, an undeniable sound of summer.
Move You for me is one of my least favourite Kelly singles ever, so absolutely one of my least favourites on the album too.

Big fan of the last bunch, I don't know Moana music like the back of my hand but I did love the movie. Not sure I would class Feels as sounding like ABBA but it is a right banger. Power packs a big pop punch and Niall sounds absolutely his most confident on his most recent single, is stunning.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Sigala, Calvin and Little Mix are all good highlights of the year.
Thriller

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Sigala, Lana, Calvin and Little Mix are all great! I really love 'The Weekend' as well, SZA writes from such an honest place which is so endearing and refreshing for the listener!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:17 am

Feels is 100% the standout track from this batch!
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:12 am

Carbon wrote:Feels is such a nice feel-good bop! I listened to it a lot this summer.

SZA is also quite interesting, though I'm yet to get into her fully. Another song of hers made my year-end list.
"Prom"? "Love Galore"? I'm curious to see!

king_oxymoron wrote:Interesting you think that about Demi's album, I think it's wonderful and while I have listened to SNS a lot, none of Demi's single output has stuck with me enough to still love it to this day. Album tracks I love galore though

Taylor is decent, but she had better even this era. Love Came Here For Love, an undeniable sound of summer.
Move You for me is one of my least favourite Kelly singles ever, so absolutely one of my least favourites on the album too.

Big fan of the last bunch, I don't know Moana music like the back of my hand but I did love the movie. Not sure I would class Feels as sounding like ABBA but it is a right banger. Power packs a big pop punch and Niall sounds absolutely his most confident on his most recent single, is stunning.
Love the unintended SZA reference. :lol:

I agree. Taylor still has three songs to come, one of which will be in this next set, and one you've already expressed unfiltered disapproval of.

Glad you love "Came Here for Love"! I remember reading somewhere - the Meaning of Life album thread perhaps - about your disdain for "Move You," and I definitely disagree with you on that one! For me, the music she's done this era is closer to the sound that suits her voice than anything else she's done.

Yeah, the Moana movie is probably my second film of the year, behind Wonder Woman.

Thriller wrote:Sigala, Calvin and Little Mix are all good highlights of the year.
Good that you appreciate those three! I think most people are still bemused at how "Feels" never took off the way we all thought it would in the US.

UKMusicLova wrote:Sigala, Lana, Calvin and Little Mix are all great! I really love 'The Weekend' as well, SZA writes from such an honest place which is so endearing and refreshing for the listener!
Admittedly, I'm not as big a fan of SZA's as you are, but "The Weekend" is absolutely her most accessible song. I know a few non-fans who adore the song!

SummerPeur wrote:Feels is 100% the standout track from this batch!
Glad you think so! I actually had it about 15 places higher before I started the countdown, but it got downgraded a bit as it lost some lustre in the final stages of the year.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:01 am

040. Taylor Swift - ...Ready for It?

Bass-driven (the music gurus call it industrial-pop apparently), dark, and sensual, "...Ready for It?" was a stark shift in tone from its predecessor "Look What You Made Me Do" - Taylor moved from seemingly wanting to annihilate a foe to a Bonnie-and-Clyde kind of sensual duel and foreplay - and because of a single lyric - I see how this is 'gon go (which is something I say this in my head in response to 95% of situations) - "...Ready for It?" was leaps and bounds more relatable for me. The way Taylor rides that final bridge is lethal - a five-second-long masterclass in lyrical delivery.
Play Count: 69

039. Niall Horan - Slow Hands

Well, blow me down and call me ugly - Niall Horan, the guy I had unequivocally denounced as the least interesting, attractive, and marketable of the 1D guys, seduced me, and with funk-pop no less! The phrasing of the hook, There ain't no stopping your plans, and those slow hands, where the beat and vocal purposefully pause before slow hands sounds so simple on paper, but Niall employs this seemingly innocent tactic to devastating effect.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(2)
Play Count: 34

038. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill

"Castle on the Hill" is the kind of track a singer/songwriter like Ed is always going to be able to deliver - he gives a full-arc story, this group in the prime of their youth enjoying the splendours that period of time affords you, then the inevitable crash-and-burn of the harsh realities of life settling in as passionate affairs segue into broken marriages, careless alcoholism dissolves into a fatal overdose, and the ebb-and-flow of a sense of community vs. loneliness moves into loneliness territory - so, in that vein, it is very much a natural progression from the previous singles I'd heard from him. The "Tiny Dancer" reference is nice.
Overall Rating: 9/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #4
Play Count: 24

037. Bruno Mars - Versace on the Floor

Sensual, romantic, and at times even delicate, "Versace on the Floor" is a classy bedroom anthem, where Bruno makes his intentions of a tender-loving-care experience undeniably clear. I love the fact that it's a true R&B ballad, with a bouncy beat and lively tempo so the track never feels like it drags, and Bruno does give one of his most passionate vocal performances, but there does feel like a piece of the puzzle is missing. The song doesn't take me to the heights that it should, and I don't know if it's the lyrical content not being powerful enough, but, as good as it is, it could have been better. Still, it had all the makings of a huge hit, so imagine everyone's surprise when it made a negligible - by Bruno's standards - impact on the chart. Maybe everyone else was too busy looking for that missing piece.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #5
Play Count: 42

036. Steps - Scared of the Dark

Coming into 2017, I thought Steps were a done deal. I'd discovered "Deeper Shade of Blue" through Pete's fantastic all-time favourite songs countdown, and I'd seen a few nostalgic posts from pop fans on the site over the years, but they were a retired act that I figured would remain as such. Well, in steps "Scared of the Dark," a glossy, soaring, dancefloor stormer that modernises the group's bubblegum pop sound into something that could be played on radio in 2017. This went down as one of my Top 5 surprises of the year.
Play Count: 41
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Great to see Steps on another countdown! I think they definitely increased their reach by releasing music this year.

I low-key love Slow Hands.
Thriller

Postby Benjamin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Big woo for Lana Del Rey and yay for Calvin and SZA.
I quite like that John Legend song, too.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:03 am

Thriller wrote:Great to see Steps on another countdown! I think they definitely increased their reach by releasing music this year.

I low-key love Slow Hands.
Glad you appreciate those two! Hopefully, a few younger pop fans were introduced to Steps with that song indeed; it makes for a fantastic first impression.

Benjamin wrote:Big woo for Lana Del Rey and yay for Calvin and SZA.
I quite like that John Legend song, too.
Glad you like those! Nice to see some love for "Penthouse Floor," too. 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:50 am

Thriller wrote:Great to see Steps on another countdown!
This 100% Love that steps is appearing in a few, its wonderful to see! 8-)
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:53 am

SummerPeur wrote:
Thriller wrote:Great to see Steps on another countdown!
This 100% Love that steps is appearing in a few, its wonderful to see! 8-)
Unlike the GP, UKMixers don't turn a deaf ear to quality music!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:54 am

035. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You

Whereas "Castle on the Hill" was more of the same from Ed, "Shape of You" caught me off-guard with its trop-pop melody, and confidently flirtatious lyrics. I'd never heard an Ed song and been tempted to dance before, so "Shape of You" being the soundtrack to many a dancefloor for the better portion of 2017 wasn't something I saw happening, coming into the year, but it was one of those big hits that was actually quite good.
Overall Rating: 9.1/10
Play Count: 64

034. Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)

So Ed Sheeran ventured into dance-pop and Katy Perry into political-pop. 2017 was a trippy year indeed. I do love the message of this song, though, and unlike many, I think Skip Marley does a great job on his verse - in fact, he's my highlight! Whereas Katy paints a backdrop of a population oblivious to the many social and political constraints and injustices within the society - perhaps oblivious because the injustices may not directly impact them - and so immersed in their dance to the distortion, it's Skip who really provides a call to action, mobilising the 'woke' minority to make a difference in the way their institutions operate.
Play Count: 70

033. Nicki Minaj, Drake, & Lil Wayne - No Frauds

As a 'diss' track, "No Frauds" is pitifully weak for someone who refers to herself as the Queen of Rap. Someone comes for your throne and you feel the need to run to your 'brothers' to fight this solo battle? Like I said, pitiful. However, as a standalone song, this is great! Catchy melody, with a hook that does a great job of really ingraining itself in your memory, and even though Remy Ma's attacks buried Nicki, Nicki has some solid one-liners here, most notably, Rah took you to her doc, but you don't look like Rah, left the operating table, still look like nah! It's been a difficult year for Nicki - Remy assassinated her on "Shether," and even on the charts, where Nicki's been so proud to bring her sale numbers into the conversation, she's been upstaged by Cardi B. The good news is that I doubt "No Frauds" is the best Nicki has to offer, so expect Onika to return in full force in 2018.
Play Count: 83

032. Destra Garcia - Destra vs. Lucy

Proving once again that she's the undisputed Queen of Bacchanal, Destra returned in 2017 with a soca anthem referencing her 2015 gem "Lucy". On "Destra vs. Lucy," Destra speaks to her alter ego, Lucy, whose 'turnt up' ability puts the regular, every day Destra to shame. It's her Beyoncé/Sasha Fierce moment, where she speaks to the extraordinary powers of Carnival obliterating an individual's inhibitions, and transforming their whole personality for that day. I suspect exporting soca music to an American/European audience is something that'll never quite happen, but the only person I can imagine doing so is the most talented Caribbean singer of my generation. For the time being, though, West Indians will warmly keep her as our own hidden gem.
Play Count: 37

031. Lorde - Green Light

This was my reaction the first time I heard "Green Light". I thought maybe my version of Spotify had malfunctioned and was playing someone else because surely this could not be Lorde. Well, it is Lorde, with one of the biggest choruses of the year. It's one of those songs that's so chorus-centric that I kinda gloss over the verses; it's very "Run Away with Me" that way. It's only recently that I paid attention to the lyrics enough to realise that the green light she's referring to is her still-lingering feelings of love from a past relationship. Still, this has to go down as her best chorus ever, and it signalled a change in image and sound from the brooding, wise-well-beyond-her-years teenager we were introduced to in "Royals". Here, she's more accessible than she's ever been, trying to move on from a failed affair from an ex-lover that was involved in some scandalous infidelities. For me, "Green Light" was one of the year's most pleasant surprises and a necessary milestone in the career of one of music's most promising young stars.
Overall Rating: 9.2/10
Play Count: 73
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:57 am

directly impact them - and so immersed in their dance to the distortion, it's Skip who really provides a call to action, mobilising the 'woke' minority to make a difference in the way their institutions operate.
Omg :lol:

Ugh I LOVE Chained To The Rhythm. It is almost one of my favorite songs of Katy. Everything about it is so immersive. The visual's are everything, the references, the chorus 8-). I think i mentioned on another countdown that it was such an amazing start to an Era, it's a shame her album was not this direction.
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby Thriller » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Ed Sheeran can sod off :lol: talk about a song I'd happily never hear again.

Katy I loved at first but it got old quick.

Lorde deserved much more success with that single! It was one of more innovative moments of the year.
Thriller

Postby luckyONE » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:17 pm

"look What You Made Me Do" is definitely a Highlight from this year. It's a great song to work out to, too.
It's hard to rank her lead singles, but I'd rank it lower than "Shake It Off" (my favorite) and "Mine" but probably above "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" and "Love Story".

"Move you" is a nice song. "Love" is amazing (and unfortunately the Album wasn't as strong as the two predecessors)

"Ready For It" is great, too. Excited to see it on tour.

"Castle On the Hill" is better than "Shape Of You" IMO but both aren't as strong as "Perfect" (solo Version) is.
"Chained To The Rhythm" is nice, too. She should've released the Album on back of this single IMO (and way earlier).
Lorde was unfortunately one of my biggest disappointment this year. :(
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Benny » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:42 pm

'Scared of the Dark', 'Chained to the Rhythm' and the two Ed Sheeran songs are all great! :P
Benny
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:51 am

SummerPeur wrote:Omg :lol:

Ugh I LOVE Chained To The Rhythm. It is almost one of my favorite songs of Katy. Everything about it is so immersive. The visual's are everything, the references, the chorus 8-). I think i mentioned on another countdown that it was such an amazing start to an Era, it's a shame her album was not this direction.
Why the "Omg"? :lol:

Yeah, "Chained to the Rhythm" signalled a promising album...and Witness wasn't really that.

Thriller wrote:Ed Sheeran can sod off :lol: talk about a song I'd happily never hear again.

Katy I loved at first but it got old quick.

Lorde deserved much more success with that single! It was one of more innovative moments of the year.
I agree!

luckyONE wrote:"look What You Made Me Do" is definitely a Highlight from this year. It's a great song to work out to, too.
It's hard to rank her lead singles, but I'd rank it lower than "Shake It Off" (my favorite) and "Mine" but probably above "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" and "Love Story".

"Move you" is a nice song. "Love" is amazing (and unfortunately the Album wasn't as strong as the two predecessors)

"Ready For It" is great, too. Excited to see it on tour.

"Castle On the Hill" is better than "Shape Of You" IMO but both aren't as strong as "Perfect" (solo Version) is.
"Chained To The Rhythm" is nice, too. She should've released the Album on back of this single IMO (and way earlier).
Lorde was unfortunately one of my biggest disappointment this year. :(
"Shake It Off" is my least favourite lead from Taylor, but "Mine" is my favourite, so not an altogether bad Top 2 you have!

Lust for Life was the best LP Lana's put out since Born to Die, in my opinion.

The solo version of "Perfect" is my favourite as well. Shame to hear you don't like "Green Light". What is it that you don't like?

Benny wrote:'Scared of the Dark', 'Chained to the Rhythm' and the two Ed Sheeran songs are all great! :P
Glad you like them!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:31 am

030. La La Land Cast - Another Day of Sun

Despite being a bigger fan of Moonlight than La La Land, the music enthusiast in me was bound to be attracted to La La Land's big highlight moment, and "Another Day of Sun" is this massive ball of positivity, optimism, and unbridled ambition that I felt was so pertinent to have in 2017.
Play Count: 40

029. Miley Cyrus - Malibu

A far tamer effort from Miley than three years ago - from the girl, in 2010, who claimed that she couldn't be tamed - "Malibu" has this gentle, breezy melody that really drives home the degree of happiness and content in the lyrics. The protagonist seems to want to capture this moment of romantic bliss and have it on loop into eternity, and the seductive appeal of the song almost made me keep it on repeat for that long, too.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(3)
Play Count: 91

028. Zay Hilfigerrr & Zayion McCall - Juju on That Beat (TZ Anthem)

The first time I heard "Juju on That Beat," it was an obligatory exploration, as the song entered the US Top 10, which made it eligible for votes in the Your Billboard Top Ten game I host. I listened to it, and thought that it was just another piece of trendy garbage that streaming unjustly promoted much further up the charts than it should have been. Then I went to a club where they played this, and everyone went mad! It's one of those songs that makes no sense when you're just sitting aimlessly in your bed, but in a club environment, it takes on a whole new life, and I think whenever I play the song, I associate it with the palpable energy of the crowd that night. There's also a chime-like sound embedded in the production that makes it so much catchier than your average viral dance song.
Play Count: 50

027. DJ Khaled - Wild Thoughts (feat. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller)

Among all the hit songs DJ Khaled released in 2017, of course it's the one featuring Rihanna that I appreciated the most. The "Maria Maria" sample is employed brilliantly here, and there are some clever lines from Rihanna that I loved, I'm too hip to hop around town out here with ya being my favourite. The real surprise here is Bryson Tiller, though. I thought he'd be a less-than-adequate Drake substitute, but he delivers a fantastic verse - yes, I am giving him brownie points for the Usain Bolt reference - full of confidence and sexy swag, with every line just 100 degrees of unadulterated heat. In fact, he comes dangerously close to upstaging RiRi.
Play Count: 61

026. Dua Lipa - New Rules

Appealing to my love for lists, "New Rules" sees Dua Lipa leaving three key instructions for herself to avoid relapsing into an unhealthy relationship with an ex. The Stranger Things parody I watched a few weeks ago gave this song a second wind on my daily chart and playlist, but it would have ended up high here anyway; it was a huge pop highlight from a new name (I never heard of Dua before this song, so it was a great first impression).
Play Count: 61
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Wild Thoughts was the best ratchet bop of the year, Rihanna's first verse is fire.

Dua's full breakthrough with New Rules was a great moment this year.
Thriller

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:33 am

Yes, lots of good going on here!
Have you checked backwards on Dua since hearing New Rules? It's absolutely her big moment, huge pop track and creator of so many memes but she had such big hits beforehand... 'Last Dance', 'Hotter Than Hell' and 'Be The One' are particularly ace.

Loved the DJ Khaled track, great sample and superb delivery all round.

Malibu I thought was so boring and ill informed at first, like it now.

Green Light is inspired. Def one of the choruses of the year but I have to say I do love the verses too, they make it more a Lorde for me, they're a bit weirdly timed, with strange vocals and that gives it her left of centre edge.

The Ed tracks.. I was definitely team Shape Of You at first but have you ever heard a song so much? It remains a bop but for me, Castle on the Hill has been the one wit lasting appeal. Great storytelling, particularly the heartbreaking middle eight breakdown, and a rip roaring chorus,

Katy's tune was one of her best in an age, big fan.

Great to see Steps particularly as you're not UK based, they've done OK here chart wise but obviously nothing like the power they used to be, agree it was a big surprise of the year for them to excel. Niall though, NOT A SURPRISE to those who always knew haha.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Return to Year End Personal Charts