Tansike's Year-End Charts 2017

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby luckyONE » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:03 am

although ending up as my #1, "Under Stars" might be Amy's weakest album to date unfortunately. I remember how obsessed I was with her music during the "A Curious Thing" + "Life In A Beautiful Light" eras... I couldn't get into the album as much as I did with the two previous albums. The title track is a wasted single opportunity, it screamed to be single!

It was not that easy getting into "Reputation", at least when you compare it with her previous albums. However I learned to love it and I definitely prefer it over "RED" and probably over "FEARLESS", too. I'd rank it either #3 or #4 along her debut album, but definitely lower than "SPEAK NOW" and "1989".
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Blondini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Taylor's 2 thirds great, Tori is great and you must check out her first four or five albums.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Tansike » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:12 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Demi a bit to low in IMO :(. She honestly made a great album and seems to be getting better and better with every release.
Actually, i agree. I think its position really is a bit low, as i enjoyed this a lot as a whole and i'd even say it may end up as my most favorite album by hers. She was just unlucky to release it during the busiest time of the year... :oops:

luckyONE wrote:although ending up as my #1, "Under Stars" might be Amy's weakest album to date unfortunately. I remember how obsessed I was with her music during the "A Curious Thing" + "Life In A Beautiful Light" eras... I couldn't get into the album as much as I did with the two previous albums. The title track is a wasted single opportunity, it screamed to be single!

It was not that easy getting into "Reputation", at least when you compare it with her previous albums. However I learned to love it and I definitely prefer it over "RED" and probably over "FEARLESS", too. I'd rank it either #3 or #4 along her debut album, but definitely lower than "SPEAK NOW" and "1989".
+1! :oops: I really, really enjoy "Under Stars", there's no weak song and a few really strong ones, however, it's definitely my least favorite album from her so far. Also agreeing on the title track, a shame she never released it. It should have been the second single instead of "Automatic" (which was good, but too similar to "Dream On" IMO).

And once again, i agree there. Surprising to hear you prefer this over "Red" as this one seems to be a fan favorite, so i'm glad i'm not the only one who doesn't rank "Red" high on her list. I never heard her self-titled debut, however, "1989" and "Speak Now" are also my favorite albums by her, followed by "Fearless", with "Reputation" and "Red" being at the bottom, so we seem to have a similar taste when it comes to Taylor 8-)

Blondini wrote:Taylor's 2 thirds great, Tori is great and you must check out her first four or five albums.
I'll definitely do this one day! She's on my list of artists i'd like to explore more, and so far i only heard good stuff from her. A shame i didn't discover her earlier... :(
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Kudos to you on listening to so many albums in 2017! I struggled to get through 25 albums.

Tell Me You Love Me was okay. Now had two fantastic moments: "It's Alright" and "Poor Me".

24K Magic was my #2 album of 2016. My least favourite song is your favourite, but I still like it!

Reputation is weird thematically, but it has some quality songs, and was my #3 album of 2017!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:06 pm

^ thanks! Well, i'm always searching for new releases, and if there's a week with no new releases i'd usually check out, then i check out the most promising/interesting acts on the iTunes Charts. I'm usually trying to find at least 1-2 new releases a week, so that's how i'm able to listen to so many albums. However, the negative ascept in this is that i don't get into albums as much as i used to do before i discovered streaming... so, there's always a plus and a minus, it seems :-?

Glad you enjoyed all these albums, and i'm very pleased to hear "I'm Alright" and "Poor Me" being your highlights on "Now", as the latter is mine and "I'm Alright" is also one of my faves 8-)

Now i'm FINALLY moving onto the next update. I can't believe i'm so behind everything for yet another year :lol: :roll:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:07 pm

A L B U M . . Y E A R - E N D . . C H A R T S . . 2 0 1 7

30. Miley Cyurs – Younger Now
Chartrun: *1*-1-1-4-8-14-15-19-Out / 8w
Certification: GOLD
Miley Cyrus finally returned with a proper studio album in 2017, which was led with “Malibu”, one of her biggest hits ever. Unfortunately, the album turned out to be a huge flop and didn’t even sell half of what the previous release “Bangerz” did in its first week. Nether less, this still is a very strong album in my opinion, and flows very well from start to finish. She should have released a few tracks more. Highlight: I Would Die For You
29. Melanie C – Version Of Me
Chartrun: *3*-3-6-10-12-13-10-12-15-18-Out / 10w
Former Spice Girl Melanie C was always on my radar, as she already released some strong pop tunes since she went solo. “Version Of Me” was the long awaited seventh solo album, following the pop masterpiece “The Sea” (2011). With this album, she showed that she’s still able to create modern, strong pop tunes. Highlight: Something For The Fire
28. Loreen – Nude EP
Chartrun: *2*-2-4-6-7-11-14-14-20-Out / 9w
Swedish singer Loreen wrote history back in 2012 when she won the ESC with “Euphoria”, which definitely became a classic under ESC fans. After several stand alone singles, she was finally ready to release a new EP and a new album in 2017, with the “Nude” EP being definitely the better of the two. Having only three tracks, this EP really shows how good and underrated Loreen is. Highlight: Ocean Away
27. Aura – Can’t Steal The Music
Chartrun: *1*-1-2-4-7-10-14-17-Out / 8w
From one Scandinavian artist to another… Aura, formerly known as Aura Dione, has released her long awaited third studio album “Can’t Steal The Music” in 2017, after a break of six years. While there are some good tunes on this – especially its title track – it still wasn’t as strong as I was hoping for. But still, this is a great pop effort which deserved at least some attention. Highlight: Can’t Steal The Music
26. LP – Lost On You
Chartrun in 2016: *1*-1- / 2w
Chartrun in 2017: 4-8-6-3-4-*2*-9-14-Out-RE 15-20-Out / 10w
Ranking in the YEC 2016: #91
LP was a huge newcomer in 2016 with her smash hit “Lost On You”. The singer released her second album with the same name in late 2016 and therefor already charted on the YEC 2016. It’s quite sad how LP remained a One Hit Wonder so far, as this album shows that she can deliver several very strong tunes. “Muddy Waters”, “No Witness”, “Up Against Me” and “Tightrope” are all worth a check out. Highlight: Lost On You
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:08 pm

25. Christina Grimmie – Side B EP
Chartrun: *1*-2-3-2-6-10-11-20-Out / 8w
Following “All Is Vanity” (#33), “Side B” is Christina Grimmie’s second and last entry on the Year-End Charts 2017. The EP came out not long before the album, which is why this release fell down very fast a few weeks after debuting and was also the reason why the album didn’t do as well as it probably should have. This is a strong pop release. RIP Christina! Highlight: I Only Miss You When I Breathe
24. The Dark Element (Anette Olzon & Jani Liimatainen) – The Dark Element
Chartrun: *1*-1-1-2-3-5- / 6w
And here’s an album I was considering for Album of the Year, yet it only ends up at #24: “The Dark Element”! It’s the first album of the project with the same name, which is formed by Swedish singer and former Nightwish frontwoman Anette Olzon and Finnish musician and producer Jani Liimatainen. The reason for its low position is the late release date, so it was nearly impossible to catch up with all other releases. As expected, "The Dark Element" is a very strong symphonic metal album. Anette herself once said it's like a mixture of symphonic metal and ABBA, which fits very well as a description, as the lyrics and melodies are sometimes very poppy and cheesy, like in "My Sweet Mystery" or the bridge in "Here's To You". I can see why some people may think this music sounds awful, however, for me, who absolutely adored Anette's solo debut album "Shine" but also the stuff she did with Nightwish, "The Dark Element" was a very welcomed release and it's already clear to see this release doing even better on the Year-End Charts 2018. Highlight: The Last Good Day
23. P!nk – Beautiful Trauma
Chartrun: *2*-3-6-8-8-13-11-12-15-19- / 10w
P!nk's release was a special one. She's always been hit or miss for me, and in the last few years, she was often the first with hits like "Try" or "Just Give Me A Reason", however, she never really made a good impression on me when it comes to full albums, until 2017's "Beautiful Trauma", which hit me like nothing ever did from her. This is such a strong pop album, from start to finish. There's only one weak track on it and that's the Eminem collaboration "Revenge", which was first intended to be the second single, so i'm glad they changed that strategy. Here's hope they will release the obvious standout "Where We Go" as a single soon. Highlight: Where We Go
22. Eurovision Song Contest 2017
Chartrun: 2-*1*-1-1-4-8-15-Out / 7w
For the past decade, the Eurovision Song Contest was always a huge highlight for me and during the last few years it was even THE highlight of the year, at least when it comes to music. The 2017 edition was yet another success with topping the weekly chart for three weeks and going Gold, however, musically it wasn't as strong as many years before and successwise it even ended up as the least successful compilation ever since my album charts started in 2010. This is still a great collection of some awesome music, the entries by Armenia, Azerbaijan, Switzerland, Belgium, Bulgaria, France and Iceland are all worth to check out. Highlight: "City Lights" by Blanche
21. Kesha – Rainbow
Chartrun: *1*-2-4-6-9-11-14-18-17-15-19-Out / 11w
Kesha’s long awaited, third album “Rainbow” closes this group. The comeback by the singer-songwriter already made big headlines even before the release of new music, so it was nice to see that she didn't disappoint in the end when it comes to "Rainbow". This is a really solid, well done record from start to finish, and it includes some typical uptempo songs à la Ke$ha like "Let 'Em Talk" or the single "Woman", but also some songs with a more mature sound, like its lead track "Praying" or the title track "Rainbow". "Boots" is another highlight and has to be released as a single in 2018! Highlight: Praying
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:15 pm

20. Arch Enemy – Will To Power
Chartrun: 2-*1*-1-4-5-8-13-19-Out / 8w
The Top20 starts of with the heaviest entry on my countdown, Arch Enemy's tenth studio album "Will To Power". It was the first release i've heard by the Swedish melodic death metal band and i was so impressed. Alissa White-Gluz - the frontwoman and lead singer - has a brilliant voice and while she's using her growling technique in 90% of the songs, there are also a few occasions where she uses her clear voice. Loved to listen to this while i went running. Highlight: Reason To Believe
19. Evanescence – Lost Whispers
Chartrun: 2-*1*-3-7-11-11-12-11-14-19-Out / 10w
Following "Synthesis" (#41), the B-Sides release "Lost Whispers" is the second appearance on my countdown for Evanescence. The band were on a long break, so it was very nice to get this as a first taste in early 2017. They can do no wrong for me. Highlight: Even In Death
18. Marina Kaye – Explicit
Chartrun: *2*-2-4-5-5-7-10-14-20- / 9w
For me, Marina Kaye is currently the best thing that happened to the French music market, unfortunately her own country doesn't embrace her the way it should, simply because she's singing in english. "Explicit" was her second album and it's on a similar level as her debut "Fearless", which means this is another strong, well-produced and modern pop record. Highlight: Something
17. Kerli – Deepest Roots EP
Chartrun: *1*-1-1-2-4-7-12-18-Out / 8w
Oh... there's such a big story behind this release and i could moan about so many things, but i won't now. The "Deepest Roots" EP only got a physical release for fans who pre-ordered her still unreleased second album through her Pledge Music campaign in early 2016. It's no surprise this topped my chart in early 2017, however, there were no unknown songs on this and all tracks except the remixes were released months prior the EP, which is also why it fell down the charts rather fast after a while. But it was and still is a nice gift for hardcore fans like me. Highlight: Journey Through the Elven Kingdom
16. Rachel Platten – Waves
Chartrun: *1*-2-4-4-5-7-8-11- / 8w
Similar to Marina Kaye, Rachel Platten is yet another way-too-underrated pop singer. Her last album "Wildfire" was already one of the highlights of 2016 and also one of the best pop releases of that year, so i was really looking forward to her next release and she didn't let me wait for too long, and she also didn't disappoint with "Waves". The first single "Broken Glass" already was a pop smash that never happened, and the promo single "Perfect For You" was yet another strong pop release, so it's no surprise that "Waves" even contains some other pop highlights such as "Shivers" or "Labels". Highlight: Collide
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:16 pm

15. Anette Olzon – Shine
Chartrun in 2014: *1*-1-2-1-3-5-7-6-3-4-4-3-4-4-3-1-2-1-3-1-1-2-3-3-1-2-5-7-5-8-11-9-12-11-15-12-9-9-12- / 39w
Chartrun in 2015: 15-16-14-13-10-6-8-9-5-4-4-5-3-3-3-*2*-3-4-6-7-10-10-10-14-15-13-11-12-16-19-17-13-11-14-19-Out / 35w
Chartrun in 2016: 8-4-5-3-5-*2*-5-4-6-8-13-18-Out-RE 19-Out-RE 17-12-18-Out-RE 20-17-Out / 18w
Chartrun in 2017: 12-14-11-8-7-15-Out-RE 16-Out-RE 10-10-9-9-*4*-6-15-17-Out-RE 5-12-14-20-Out-RE 15-19-Out / 21w
Certification: 7x PLATINUM
Ranking in the YEC 2014: #1
Ranking in the YEC 2015: #3
Ranking in the YEC 2016: #10
For the first time ever, an album is able to spend its fourth year in a row on my Year-End Charts, and the lucky one is "Shine", the solo debut album by the former Nightwish frontwoman Anette Olzon. It's currently the most certified album ever on my charts and i'd also name this as my most favorite release ever if i would have to name my favorite one spontaneously. That's strange on one side, because i see that this isn't a masterpiece, but that's probably what makes it so good for me, plus i love Anette's personality & her voice. What's even more impressive: She's suffering a lot due to the new rules, as "Shine" would have been at #7 under the old rules, which is even higher than in 2016! Highlight: Moving Away
14. Lindsey Stirling – Warmer In The Winter
Chartrun: *1*-3-7-10-16-10-1-1-2- / 9w
While there's always a Christmas album which makes a big impact on me during a year, i didn't expect one to make it as big as "Warmer In The Winter" did, but violinist Lindsey Stirling can do no wrong for me. In late 2017, Lindsey released what fans were anticipating for a long time - her first Christmas album! And while i was afraid this would be cheesy or too samey, it's not even one of them. It's very different, sometimes even very modern and still has a great Christmas vibe. She definitely exceeded my expectations, even as a huge fan of hers. Highlight: Carol Of The Bells
13. Linkin Park – One More Light
Chartrun: *2*-2-3-3-6-9-9-13-16-10-18-Out / 11w
It's really a shame how i was only about to get really into Linkin Park shortly before the tragic things happened in 2017. "One More Light" was their first release to be so successful on my charts and i think this was a very strong record from start to finish, with some amazing highlights. I also love its album cover. RIP Chester! Highlight: Good Goodbye
12. The Weeknd – Starboy
Chartrun in 2016: *1*-1-2-2- / 4w
Chartrun in 2017: 6-7-*3*-4-5-5-10-13-14-4-8-13-19-Out / 13w
Certification: PLATINUM
Ranking in the YEC 2016: #47
Canadian R&B singer The Weeknd had a very strong start into 2017 as he was not only smashing with his album "Starboy", but he also benefited through his concert in February 2017. I think he did something which is very difficult to achieve: He released a similarly strong follow-up to a strong album, because "Starboy" is on the same level as "Beauty Behind The Madness" for me. I think the latter has the better standouts, while "Starboy" flows better as a whole. Here's hope he releases another strong effort in 2018. Highlight: Rockin'
11. Imagine Dragons – Evolve
Chartrun: *2*-2-2-2-3-5-7-11-14-16-19-Out / 11w
Closing this group and being the unlucky 11th placed album of the year 2017 is "Evolve", the third release by Imagine Dragons. Following an underwhelming era with "Smoke + Mirrors", it was pleasing to see them going back to success with this release. Luckily, the singles prior the album release - "Believer" and "Thunder" - aren't the only highlights of this and so they really delivered what's probably their best album to date. A shame they're already mixing things up with the random release of "Next To Me", but here's hope they may release another few songs from the original album during 2018. Highlight: I'll Make It Up To You
Tansike
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:04 pm

"Rainbow" was probably the biggest disappointment of the year. I much prefer the "old" Ke$ha, I didn't connect with her new image/sound.

"Beautiful Trauma" is one of my highlights, but "Revenge" is one of my favorite songs. It could fit very well on Funhouse, though. The album itself grew on me a lot, there were only a few songs I really liked when the album was released, now I like almost every song.

"Evolve" is my favorite album by Imagine Dragons so far. "I'll Make It Up To You" is my favorite song aswell (and would make a beautiful single IMO!)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:40 pm

^ Sad to hear "Rainbow" still didn't grow on you, but i get where you're coming from. I think "Rainbow" also has some bops which could be on her older albums, such as "Woman" or "Boots", but overall the sound really changed and i thought that was ok. But i also could have lived with a few more dance tunes as well.

Glad you enjoy "Beautiful Trauma" that much and that it grew on you so much. I never cared that much about her whole albums but "Beautiful Trauma" is a strong effort from start to finish.

YASSS... "I'll Make It Up To You" HAS to be a single :cry:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:53 pm

10. Katy Perry – Witness
Chartrun: *2*-3-3-3-3-4-5-8-11-18-20-Out / 11w

Katy Perry opens the Top10 with her fourth studio album "Witness", which definitely was one of the most-talked-about eras of 2017. Despite having ticket bundles to help its sales, it still ended up as a commercial disaster, having sold only 300,000 copies as of today, while her previous albums all did at least one million copies in the US. While we could speculate about how this could have happen for a whole day, i won't go into that here, as musically "Witness" is far, really far from being a bad album. It's actually a very good pop album, and i even prefer this to the previous release "Prism", even though the worst tracks ("Mind Maze", "Power", "Tsunami") are also some of the worst things she's ever done. But the highlights are really strong, plus the first three singles were also very well picked and should have been big hits for her.

"Witness" was Katy's fourth entry on my weekly album charts following "Teenage Dream", its re-release and "Prism". It has spawned four chart entries so far with "Chained To The Rhythm" (#14 on the YEC 2017), "Bon Appétit" (#12), "Swish Swish" (#29) and "Hey Hey Hey" (debuted on the weekly chart after the YEC 2017 deadline). So, all in all, she had a pretty great year on my charts.

My favorite songs:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:54 pm

9. Loïc Nottet – Selfocracy
Chartrun: *2*-3-2-3-4-4-7-10-14-18-Out-RE 19-15-18-19-Out / 14w

Here's a surprising / unexpected entry and i was surprised by myself how much i enjoyed it. "Selfocracy" is the debut album by Belgian singer Loïc Nottet, who is mostly famous for representing Belgium on the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 with "Rhythm Inside", where he ended up fourth. Even though that track didn't end up on this album, he still showed what an amazing singer he is, as there are so many strong tunes on this and it flows really well as a whole. Loïc is a big fan of Australian singer-songwriter Sia, and you can clearly hear this on here, as his music often sounds like the music by Sia, so he's basically a male version of hers. That may be a negative thing for many, but for me that's a big plus as he's doing an amazing job.

Chartswise, "Selfocracy" became the fifth most successful album ever by an ESC contestant on my charts, only behind the likes of Loreen ("Heal", ESC Winner 2012), Emmelie de Forest ("Only Teardrops", ESC Winner of 2013), Malena Ernman ("La voix du nord", Swedish entry in 2009) and Anna Bergendahl ("Yours Sincerely", Swedish entry in 2010). It got two singles with "Million Eyes" (#270 on the YEC 2016 and #108 on the YEC 2017) and "Mud Blood" (#98 on the YEC 2017).

My favorite songs:
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:17 am

Younger Now is awful by Miley's standards. Beyond "Malibu" and "Thinkin'," the album is trash. Similarly, Beautiful Trauma is the aural equivalent of watching paint dry. P!nk has been a lot of things in her career, but never before 2017 was she boring. Also, I thought the ESC was sub-par last year. It was great that Kesha was able to find the mental and emotional strength to give us Rainbow after her terrible struggle with that Dr. Luke case, but the album is also sub-standard.

Sometimes I forget that what the Weeknd does is technically singing. I do love Starboy, though. It's one of the best produced albums of the last five years. He's two for two for me now! I think "Whatever It Takes" has officially become my favourite Imagine Dragons song, and Evolve is definitely my favourite LP from them. The album was one of the most pleasant surprises of 2017.

"Roulette" alone makes Witness worth the listen. I think it's an album that can be divided into thirds. One-third is fantastic, one-third is pedestrian, and one-third is pointless dross.

Tansike wrote:^ thanks! Well, i'm always searching for new releases, and if there's a week with no new releases i'd usually check out, then i check out the most promising/interesting acts on the iTunes Charts. I'm usually trying to find at least 1-2 new releases a week, so that's how i'm able to listen to so many albums. However, the negative ascept in this is that i don't get into albums as much as i used to do before i discovered streaming... so, there's always a plus and a minus, it seems :-?

Glad you enjoyed all these albums, and i'm very pleased to hear "I'm Alright" and "Poor Me" being your highlights on "Now", as the latter is mine and "I'm Alright" is also one of my faves 8-)

Now i'm FINALLY moving onto the next update. I can't believe i'm so behind everything for yet another year :lol: :roll:
Quality over quantity, sir! :wink:

I would also encourage you to check out songs from the past that you may have forgotten, or never have been exposed to. I find it ridiculous how so many of my favourite songs today existed so long without me never having known their brilliance.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:21 pm

Surprised to see Imagine not make your Top 10 Tansike!!!

However I am secretly living for Witness making #10. After such the bad rap she got on here (slightly from me as well), it is great to see her high up on someone's list. CTTR alone should give her a top 20 placing haha.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Thank you two :D

JSparksFan wrote:Younger Now is awful by Miley's standards. Beyond "Malibu" and "Thinkin'," the album is trash. Similarly, Beautiful Trauma is the aural equivalent of watching paint dry. P!nk has been a lot of things in her career, but never before 2017 was she boring. Also, I thought the ESC was sub-par last year. It was great that Kesha was able to find the mental and emotional strength to give us Rainbow after her terrible struggle with that Dr. Luke case, but the album is also sub-standard.

Sometimes I forget that what the Weeknd does is technically singing. I do love Starboy, though. It's one of the best produced albums of the last five years. He's two for two for me now! I think "Whatever It Takes" has officially become my favourite Imagine Dragons song, and Evolve is definitely my favourite LP from them. The album was one of the most pleasant surprises of 2017.

"Roulette" alone makes Witness worth the listen. I think it's an album that can be divided into thirds. One-third is fantastic, one-third is pedestrian, and one-third is pointless dross.
Well, I slightly have to disagree, however, I LOVE that you’re mentioning “Thinkin’”. Should have been the third single :( Also sad to hear this opinion about “Beautiful Trauma”, as I’m still enjoying it a lot. Have you heard “Where We Go”? It’s by far the best thing on the album. Glad we agree on last years ESC though, while Kesha’s release also made a better impression on me than on you :oops:

Yes! For me as well. Two great albums in a row and both are even on a very similar level. Really looking forward to his next project. Oh wow, amazing news for “Whatever It Takes” :o I think it’s strong as well and I even prefer it to “Believer” and “Thunder” at this point, but I’m not sure if it already surpassed “Warrior” or “Radioactive” for me as their best single ever. Overall, I also prefer “I’ll Make It Up To You” from “Evolve”. Glad we also agree on the album overall <3

“Roulette”… the “Legendary Lovers” of “Witness” :cry:

JSparksFan wrote:Quality over quantity, sir! :wink:

I would also encourage you to check out songs from the past that you may have forgotten, or never have been exposed to. I find it ridiculous how so many of my favourite songs today existed so long without me never having known their brilliance.
Sure! But I’m always thirsty for new stuff and I’m getting bored rather fast lately :(

I know what you mean and sometimes I’m also doing this. For example, I only discovered Delta Goodrem with her last album, and I enjoyed it so much, that I checked out the previous album, was impressed again and ended up checking her whole discography :oops: Unfortunately, I’m currently very charts-based, like, I don’t really want to check things out that are too old, as they’re not eligible to enter my charts.

SummerPeur wrote:Surprised to see Imagine not make your Top 10 Tansike!!!

However I am secretly living for Witness making #10. After such the bad rap she got on here (slightly from me as well), it is great to see her high up on someone's list. CTTR alone should give her a top 20 placing haha.
The cruel thing is: Katy only has three points more than Imagine Dragons :oops:

Glad you’re enjoying the position for “Witness”. It’s obviously not as strong as most people were hoping for, and I also expected something stronger, but I was bopping to half of it for like two months and if you overlook its bad half, it actually has some really strong pop tunes :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:49 pm

8. Lorde – Melodrama
Chartrun: *4*-5-7-7-6-4-6-9-14-12-15-14-18-17-18-Out / 15w

If someone would have told me Lorde's second album would make the Top10 on my Year-End Charts, i probably would have questioned it. The singer from New Zealand has finally released the follow-up to her debut "Pure Heroine" in 2017 after years of waiting, and while i enjoyed "Royals" & "Team" a lot from her debut, the album overall never really got me and so it was an underperformance on my charts, having spent one single week in the Top10 (#7). Despite all that, i was really looking forward to "Melodrama" and from all positive surprises in 2017, this was probably the biggest one. The album flows incredibly well and even though there are a very few songs i don't really care for, the hit potential overall is incredibly big and she should have scored another monster smash with it.

"Melodrama" has spawned three singles so far: "Green Light" (#87 on the YEC 2017), "Perfect Places" (#114) and "Homemade Dynamite" (#112). Due to its #4 peak on the weekly chart, it's the lowest non-Top3 album on my countdown and one of only two in the Top30, the other being Anette Olzon's "Shine" (#15).

My favorite songs:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:50 pm

7. Lana Del Rey – Lust For Life
Chartrun: *1*-1-2-3-4-7-9-10-13-16-20-15-10-12-16-Out / 15w

From one alternative yet still mainstream artist to another: Lana Del Rey! Back in 2012, Lana had one of the best starts ever with her major-label debut "Born To Die", having spent 12 weeks atop my weekly album charts, with its title track being the top hit on my weekly singles charts for 10 consecutive weeks. Since then, the singer kept on releasing a strong tune after another, and also delivered when it comes to albums. In 2017, she has released her fourth album "Lust For Life", and while its singles "Love" and "Lust For Life" didn't impress me as much as her previous singles did, the album itself was once more brilliant, and is definitely her second best release to date for me. It's just so good as whole. Unfortunately, the two tracks "Summer Bummer" and "Groupie Love" are really weak and kinda destroy what could have been a perfect flow. Apart from that, "Lust For Life" is typical Lana and i'd say it's even a bit back to the roots for her, plus it owns the brilliant "13 Beaches", which even became my third most favorite song from her ever.

With "Lust For Life", Lana got her fifth entry on my weekly album charts, and her fourth number one. The release is her second most successful entry so far, and she has released two singles: "Love" (#66 on the YEC 2017) and "Lust For Life" ft. The Weeknd (#111).

My favorite songs:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:51 pm

6. Lady Gaga – Joanne
Chartrun in 2016: *1*-1-1-1-3-5-4-6-5- / 9w
Chartrun in 2017: 8-11-7-9-11-10-*1*-1-4-8-9-12-16-19-Out-RE 17-18-14-15-20-Out-RE 15-9-11-14-18-Out / 24w
Ranking in the YEC 2016: #14

Okay, so here's most likely more of an expected Top10 arrival on my countdown: Lady Gaga's latest album "Joanne". Since her breakthrough in 2008, the Lady has been one of my absolute favorite artists and i basically grew up with her, at least musically, as i only really started following music in 2006/2007. "Joanne" already came out in late 2016 and therefor made it on last years countdown as well, but she did even much better during 2017, mostly because of the ongoing success for "Million Reasons", the video release for "John Wayne", the random release of "The Cure" but foremost due to the huge effect that had her Super Bowl performance. I was also looking forward to finally seeing one of my few idols live, unfortunately, her Swiss concert got cancelled, so currently i'm a bit mad at her. Anyways, this still is a very strong but unfortunately also underrated release, as it doesn't have many flaws and especially the first half is really strong.

"Joanne" is Lady Gaga's sixth entry on my weekly album charts and also her sixth to make it to the top. "Perfect Illusion" (#48 on the YEC 2016), "Million Reasons" (#13 on the YEC 2016, #13 on the YEC 2017), "A-Yo" (#95 on the YEC 2016), "John Wayne" (#85 on the YEC 2017), more or less "The Cure" (#32) and its title track "Joanne" (debuted on the weekly chart after the YEC 2017 deadline) all got their time to shine as promo tracks or proper singles.

My favorite songs:
Tansike
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 am

two of my personal disappointments end up in your Top 10... "WITNESS" is my least favorite album by Katy so far, I just couldn't get into it. I only like the singles to be honest... :oops:
"Melodrama", as mentioned multiple times already, was the biggest disappointment though. Being a huge fan of her debut era, the album did nothing for me. So it's just the other way around for me - the debut album is perfect, the sophomore album just really bad... :oops: but glad she released an album you enjoy a lot. 8-)

"Lust For Life" is a great album, however, again, a little bit disappointing for me aswell since "Ultraviolence" and "Honeymoon" were so brilliant. I'd rank it as my third favorite album, though. "White Mustang" is my favorite (aside from "LOVE").
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Punch me out a bit with those three albums. :cry:

Melodrama is my #1 album of 2017. The first time I heard it, I didn't hear the magic of most of the songs, but towards the end of the year, in finalising my year-end lists, I slowly started to appreciate tracks I'd previously dismissed, and the rest is history. Quality songwriting, intriguing production, confident and passionate delivery - I couldn't ask for more.

Lust for Life is the best thing Lana has done since Born to Die. "13 Beaches" is lovely, but "Love", "Summer Bummer", and "Groupie Love" are my faves.

Joanne is criminally underrated! I do wish there were more 'classic' Gaga songs like "Dancin' in Circles", but I love the tone of the album, and, of course, "Million Reasons" is everything.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 am

luckyONE wrote:two of my personal disappointments end up in your Top 10... "WITNESS" is my least favorite album by Katy so far, I just couldn't get into it. I only like the singles to be honest... :oops:
"Melodrama", as mentioned multiple times already, was the biggest disappointment though. Being a huge fan of her debut era, the album did nothing for me. So it's just the other way around for me - the debut album is perfect, the sophomore album just really bad... :oops: but glad she released an album you enjoy a lot. 8-)

"Lust For Life" is a great album, however, again, a little bit disappointing for me aswell since "Ultraviolence" and "Honeymoon" were so brilliant. I'd rank it as my third favorite album, though. "White Mustang" is my favorite (aside from "LOVE").
Aww... well, i already knew you weren't the biggest fan of them both so it was expected, i guess. But as you can see, i really enjoy both, "Witness" and "Melodrama". I can't even say why i never got into "Pure Heroine" but instantly got into "Melodrama", it just clicked somehow. However, i can see why you'd rank "Witness" as your least favorite album by Katy. Some songs are really weak, but the highlights make it up for me there.

Love "Lust For Life"! I guess this means "Born To Die" is your least favorite album by Lana so far? So the ranks would be the other way round for you than they are for me, as BTD is still my favorite one, followed by LFL. But to be fair she has yet to release a weak album :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:06 am

JSparksFan wrote:Punch me out a bit with those three albums. :cry:

Melodrama is my #1 album of 2017. The first time I heard it, I didn't hear the magic of most of the songs, but towards the end of the year, in finalising my year-end lists, I slowly started to appreciate tracks I'd previously dismissed, and the rest is history. Quality songwriting, intriguing production, confident and passionate delivery - I couldn't ask for more.

Lust for Life is the best thing Lana has done since Born to Die. "13 Beaches" is lovely, but "Love", "Summer Bummer", and "Groupie Love" are my faves.

Joanne is criminally underrated! I do wish there were more 'classic' Gaga songs like "Dancin' in Circles", but I love the tone of the album, and, of course, "Million Reasons" is everything.
Very glad to hear "Melodrama" was such a grower for you! It's was the opposite for me, as i got instantly hooked by it like it never happened with "Pure Heroine". A shame she's suffering from the sophomore slump when it comes to success, as Lorde definitely deserves another big era with it.

YASSSSSS completely agree when it comes to Lana! BTD is still my fave (also due to nostalgia factor), but LFL is definitely my second favorite album from her to date. But not you mentioning my personal lowlights as your Highlights ("Summer Bummer" & "Groupie Love") :cry:

Agreed, again! She should have released "Dancin' In Circles" as a single tbh. It's crazy how successful "Joanne" was compared to "Artpop" despite having yet again only two real singles, and one ("Perfect Illusion") was quite a flop/not promoted.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:51 pm

5. Eluveitie – Evocation II: Pantheon
Chartrun: *1*-1-1-3-5-8-10-7-6-9-9-10-9-14-16-16-18-Out / 17w

Loïc Nottet's "Selfocracy" was already a surprise when it comes to the Top10 of the Albums Year-End Charts 2017, but here's the biggest surprise, at least to me, as i didn't have this album on my radar at all: "Evocation II: Pantheon" by Swiss folk-metal band Eluveitie. People who know me know that i'm not only into Pop, Dance or Charts music overall, but my heart also beats for Rock, especially Symphonic Rock or Folk Rock, with Nightwish and Within Temptation being two of my absolute favorite artists ever. I already knew who Eluveitie are for a few years, since they're from Switzerland and they're doing basically the music i'm really into. However, apart from like two tracks, i wasn't familiar with their material, and due to some reason, i'm always very sceptic against artists from Switzerland. A big mistake, as in mid 2017, i came across their music videos for "Lvgvs" and "Epona" while watching some other videos on YouTube, and i got impressed! Shortly after, they released "Evocation II: Pantheon".

"Evocation II: Pantheon" isn't typical for them compared to their other stuff, as they're usually much heavier. This release got promoted as an acoustic release, which is why it's more like a folk-pop-release and not a folk-metal album. The lyrics are also in Celtic, so the whole thing is really unique and it worked perfectly for me. An amazing discovery in 2017 and i'm already excited to hear more from them!

Eluveitie got two hit singles with this album: The number one single "Lvgvs" (#21 on the YEC 2017) and "Epona" (#54). They also scored a third hit called "Rebirth" (#89), but that one was excluded from the album and will most likely end up on their next release.

My favorite songs:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:53 pm

4. Ed Sheeran – ÷
Chartrun: *1*-4-1-2-3-4-3-5-5-7-8-11-12-13-15-13-13-13-14-13-14-10-10-13-13-13-16-16-15-17-Out / 30w

From one album which isn't really popular or known at all to one which made it far on the Year-End Charts in many countries last year, and also convinced me: "÷" (or "Divide") by Ed Sheeran! The third studio album by the British singer-songwriter had it hard, as it was the follow-up to "x"/"Multiply", which not only spawned several hit singles, but also was a monstrous success on its own and shot Ed to stardom. But even prior the album release, Ed made everything right, as he went with double lead tracks in form of "Shape Of You" and "Castle On The Hill" - one which became a big hit, and the other one even bigger. Luckily, the album offered even more, and to me its best moments are the two irish-folk-inspired songs "Galway Girl" and "Nancy Mulligan". The latter is even the best thing on the record, but only ended up on the deluxe edition of "÷". Other than that, the album basically has no lows, some solid songs and many good tunes. One may say he tried to copy himself, but i'd say this is just Ed, and he and his team know what's popular at the moment and they built successfully on that.

Ed Sheeran collected several hits with this album. "Shape Of You" (#4 on the YEC 2017), "Castle On The Hill" (#51), "Galway Girl" (#42) and "Perfect" (#38) all served as official singles while "How Would You Feel (Paean)" (#208) and "Bibia Be Ye Ye" (#153) got released as promo tracks.

My favorite songs:
Tansike
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts