Stormzy - Big For Your Boots
7%
SZA - Love Galore
20%
The xx - On Hold
No votes

Total votes : 15

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:35 pm

"Green Light" is fantastic. It ushered in a more pure pop sound for Lorde, and I love that it's appeared in pretty much everyone's best-of-2017 lists. "Scared to Be Lonely" is definitely the best song Martin Garrix has ever produced. Dua delivers a fantastic vocal on it, too.

"Havana" is epic. I agree it does a great job in conjuring up Havana-related imagery, and I similarly had low expectations for Camila. "Havana" may be a song she's destined never to top, but even if that's the case, what a song to have in your repertoire!
My Tribute to Janet Jackson: [#1 Revealed!]

I lost myself to music at a very early age, and I remained there.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:24 pm

8. CHARLI XCX | Boys

On first listen 'Boys' may seem like quite a basic song where Charli is daydreaming about boys like a silly schoolgirl. It perhaps is a bit of that, and the daydream and chilled vibe of the entire song really creates those feelings further. Right down to the Nintendo bleeps that Charli's vocal ride over. However when matched with the, actually awesome, music video you realise that Charli is not a silly schoolgirl creating a scrapbook of her favourite boys...she is actually directing them. It's a feminist moment with lots of man candy doing silly things in a music video, something we're so used to seeing women doing in videos. I love when Charli does something more melodic, and restrained. It's a side of her that rarely comes out but 'Boys', for me, is Charli at her best.

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:25 pm

7. CALVIN HARRIS | Slide (featuring Frank Ocean & Migos)

It was a bit of a shock when I first heard that Frank Ocean would be collaborating with Calvin Harris, I didn't really see how it would work, but it sure did. The song was the first time we came to see Calvin's more chilled, funky sound, rather than the big dance bangers we are used to hearing from him. I like the light feel of the production, with Frank's almost deadpan vocal delivery - it's something that we don't hear very much in pop music. Hip hop duo, Migos, integrate well into the song as well never sounding out of place. I love when a rap feature actually fits perfectly into a song, rather than sounding tagged on to give the song more streaming appeal. I love this subtle, summer banger!

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:25 pm

6. KENDRICK LAMAR | HUMBLE.

'HUMBLE.' is pretty far from the jazz inspired sounds on 'To Pimp A Butterfly', but at no point does it sound like Kendrick selling out. As the title would suggest, this song is Kendrick bragging about his successes whilst also preaching humility. I love the staccato feel the entire song has, it makes it quite fun to rap along to. The song does cover Kendrick's 'humble' beginnings and his rise to success, and the shadow he casts over his competition. It also looks at popular culture and its obsession with photoshop and such. Super catchy, and something more fun from Kendrick, I can see why some people had criticism for the song but I like that he did something more fun.

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:26 pm

5. RITA ORA | Anywhere

Rita Ora had a great 2017. She was the topic of many jokes of a singer who isn't really much of a singer anymore, but 2017 is definitely the year she proved that she is well and truly a popstar at the heart of all the other things she involves herself in. 'Anywhere' is a wistful nod to that carefree moment where you want to be whisked anywhere with a lover or a friend, be taken to a moment of anonymity, and just be in the moment. The overall feel of the production really does evoke those feelings as well, and I absolutely adore the breakdown of the song with the chopped vocals. Rita sounds amazing on the song as well, I love her understated delivery on the song.

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 pm

4. TOM GRENNAN | Found What I've Been Looking For

'Found What I've Been Looking For' is a super catchy pop track, given edge by Tom's gritty soulful vocal. It straight away opens up with uptempo funk infused riffs, showing a more fun side to Tom to tracks he had released prior. The song is a festival ready banger, and I see this song being rereleased when Tom inevitably smashes and this will rightly be his signature song when it is re-released! :lol: I am so excited for Tom's debut album, 'Lighting Matches', every track I have heard so far has been so good and his voice is one of my favourites in pop music right now. I'd love to see him collaborate with Jorja Smith, there voices would work so well. Check this out for a catchy introduction to Tom Grennan's music!

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:39 pm

Yes @ Boys making it so high! Such a summer-time smash!

4. TOM GRENNAN | Found What I've Been Looking For

I actually hadn't heard this song before / new it existed. Thanks for introducing me to it, as I really love it! (Plus, he is kinda sexy right??!).

I'm gonna be on the lookout for his album as well.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:59 am

Mabel, Slide and Anywhere all great moments from the year.

Boys is one of those songs that feels like it was bigger than it was cos so many people seem to know it.

I liked a Tom Grennan song recently called Sober, this one you've charted it also good!
Thriller

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 am

SummerPeur wrote: (Plus, he is kinda sexy right??!).
:lol: too right :P
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Going to finish this quickly, as I'll be back on the road as of tomorrow so not sure when I can log on next!

3. SZA | Drew Barrymore

'Drew Barrymore' is one of the ultimate feminist anthems of 2017, another one will feature later in my top 3. It does have an air of vulnerability and how we look for personal validation, but does overall come across as a powerful showcase that we ourselves hold the control and key to our own happiness. I love the wavy, almost psychedelic production that pairs so well with SZA's powerful vocal. While she does pose questions and doubts about herself, she is not going to apologise for who she is - it's such an empowering message. It's ok to have flaws and to be proud of yourself, it's not a message that is unfamiliar territory in pop music but SZA has written it in such a non-preachy way. The video does feature a cameo from Ms Barrymore herself as well.

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:38 pm

2. DJ KHALED | Wild Thoughts (featuring Rihanna & Bryson Tiller)

It took a lot to actually use the single cover, rather than a screenshot of Rihanna from the video. She looks so hot in the video, possibly the best she has ever looked. :lol: Anyway, this song takes the famous sensual guitar riff from Santana's 'Maria Maria', and creates something with such a hot, sticky summer night groove. Not really sure what DJ Khaled offers to the song, Bryson's part is fine but this song is absolutely made by Rihanna. She is serving attitude on the song, and not sure there is another artist that could have offered, to the song, what Rihanna does. Now watch the video, and see the presence of a true star with Rihanna. The girl is so confident in her sensuality, what we all aspire to be I think! :lol:

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:39 pm

1. DUA LIPA | New Rules

I don't think there was all that much competition, really, for 'New Rules' when it came to my favourite song of the year. I already loved the song when I first heard her debut album, but the music video really cemented its place as one of my favourite pop songs of the 2010s - a real pop classic. The song gives advice to girls (and boys tbf), reminding us that we are better than our f*ckboy exes. I love the pre-chorus section, it's such a cool idea to list out her 'new rules' and Dua delivers it with so much sass and confidence. I loooove the line "if you're under him, you ain't getting over him", so often we think we can have meaningless sex with exes but the truth is that you can't get over them if you keep going back to them. Next let's talk about the video, which like Lorde said, is one of the dopest videos of recent years. She could have easily done the standard 'ex boyfriend treating her badly' kind of video, but instead opted for a girls sleepover style with Dua's friends advising her against calling her ex man. The video then ends with a strong Dua, giving the same advice to one of her friends. It's how female friendship works, we look after each other and give each other strength in hard times.

Thanks for all your comments guys, 2017 was such a great year for me, and musically it was also bloody fantastic! Here's to a great 2018 for you all :D
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:07 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:I voted for Wild Thoughts, I have a feeling New Rules will do real well but I didn't know if it was well enough to be No.1.

SO. CLOSE!!!!!

This is a really good top 10. Enjoyed Charli's turn on 1 Night but like you I prefer melodic Charli and Boys was a really good moment for her,

Even the songs I am not that familiar with here I have still enjoyed upon hearing them, the likes of Humble.

Your top two are great and joined by Boys, Anywhere and Slide I am here for your taste in this here year!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:43 pm

"Boys" was a real grower for me. I thought it was disposable pop trash the first time I played it, then gradually grew to appreciate it as the under-heralded bubblegum pop bop it is.

I got into "Slide" really late; I'm just now coming around to appreciating it. "Humble" is catchy, but not among my favourite songs of the year.

"Anywhere" is exceptional. So chilled, so light, so dreamy - it really does whisk you away to a place of peace whilst you're in the midst of chaos. Love it! Top 5 for me this year as well.

I agree that Rihanna is the highlight of "Wild Thoughts," though I was pleasantly surprised by the above-average, sexy verse Bryson delivered.

"New Rules" makes for a great #1. The way she lists out the rules for herself, showing that she's fed up with falling back into the same senseless pattern relays a message that is relevant to just about anyone who's had relapses with exes. It was a fantastic introduction to Dua as a solo act. I can't imagine how she tops it, but I look forward to seeing her try. I love the Stranger Things parody of the video, by the way. :lol:

Great countdown, Carly!
My Tribute to Janet Jackson: [#1 Revealed!]

I lost myself to music at a very early age, and I remained there.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 pm

I thought Dua would be #1!

Thanks for a great countdown Carly! Really enjoyed it :).
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Carbon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 am

A very nice top 3!
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:16 pm

I knew Carly would go for Dua as I'm sure she's had plenty of f*ckboy experience!
Thriller

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:21 pm

Thriller wrote:I knew Carly would go for Dua as I'm sure she's had plenty of f*ckboy experience!
Woah.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby luckyONE » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:48 am

love "Boys", "Anywhere" and especially "Wild Thoughts", so good to see the latter one placing at #2! 8-)
luckyONE
Superstar

Return to Year End Personal Charts