7%
SZA - Love Galore
20%
The xx - On Hold
No votes

Total votes : 15

Postby Benjamin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 am

Yay for Zedd, Miguel and Lana :)
I also really like Jessie Ware's track, but I prefer the Spanish version 'Egoista'.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Voted for: Stormzy - Big For Your Boots :D

Stay - Great song, deserving of a ranking.

Unforgettable (featuring Swae Lee) - FANTASTIC SONG!!! I expected it to be much higher :D. Do you like the version with Mariah?
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:37 pm

I do like Mariah's version, but don't really think it adds anything to the original which is what I like a remix to do!

90. KELELA | Blue Light

I love the juxtaposition in the production and delivery on 'Blue Light', with Kelela's velvety vocal along a soft, dreamy synth production that then ramps up the urgency in the chorus. It's a gorgeous mid tempo, that is the perfect example of Kelela's talents. It's a sexy song about when you finally drop your walls and let that somebody into your life, I particularly love the line "I told myself I needed time, but my discipline is slipping", we've all been there!

89. ANNE-MARIE | Heavy

After a few bad bitch anthems, with Anne-Marie dealing with cheating partners, Heavy takes it to a more serious place looking at the struggles within a dysfunctional relationship. Despite the deeper topic, the production and melody is pretty light and poppy which makes it very easy to listen to. It's not as strong as Alarm or Ciao Adios, but it's a gorgeous restrained vocal that really suits her (and actually more in line with Karate, which was the song that I discovered her on).

88. CLEAN BANDIT | I Miss You (featuring Julia Michaels)

Following on from the monster hits of Tears, Rockabye and Symphony, Clean Bandit teamed up with American singer-songwriter Julia Michaels for their single 'I Miss You'. The song is definitely less instant than the previous singles, and opts for a more laid back and subtle sound. Julia's voice is very emotive on the track (although having seen the live performances, she has absolutely awful live technique), and I love the vocal layering in the chorus. Production is nicely done, developing from the piano ballad to a classic Clean Bandit banger.

87. KENDRICK LAMAR | Loyalty. (featuring Rihanna)

Probably one of the more anticipated collaborations of the year was between Kendrick and Rihanna. Whilst it is by no means the most interesting song on 'DAMN.', it was a moment seeing the these two artists who are leading the pack in their respective genres, riffing off each other. It's a true duet in every sense of the word. Lyrically it's nothing special, but I do like that it also treats their boasts as also their weaknesses. "It's so hard to be humble".

86. EVERYTHING EVERYTHING | Can't Do

This song is hectic, groovy and almost tribal. I like how with this era Everything Everything are writing music for this geneartion who are struggling to get through life with the state of politics and society, and how we feel like we must bend ourselves to fit into the way society wants us to be. The song really pushes the healing factor of music, and how we must make a stand and it is up to us to shape our destiny. "I'm loving the bass, I'm loving the drums" , well so am I. This is such a good party song!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Yay for Kelela and Kendrick Lamar 8-)
'LOYALTY' is good. Lovely video too.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Shame Harry Styles and French Montana were the first 2 out, they were both massive no.1's on my chart this year. Jessie Ware's "Selfish Love" has a wonderful production. I think Clean Bandit and Anne-Marie both had much better songs this year which I hope are still to come.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby urbanmusik » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Great chart so far Carly. Voted for Kelela in the poll, but I like all of the songs bar Niall so any would be a worthy winner (though the DJ Khaled track did get old fast).

Love these from the missed out section, especially the bolded ones.

Spoiler:
Alma & French Montana - Phases
Amber Mark - Lose My Cool

Ariana Grande - Everyday (feat. Future)
Avicii - Lonely Together (feat. Rita Ora)
Billie Eilish - Bellyache
Cashmere Cat - Quit (feat. Ariana Grande)
Chlöe Howl - Magnetic
David Guetta & Afrojack - Dirty Sexy Money (feat. Charli XCX & French Montana)
Era Istrefi - No I Love Yous (feat. French Montana)
Future - Mask Off
Gabrielle Aplin - Waking Up Slow
HAIM - Want You Back
J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente
Jax Jones - Instruction (feat. Demi Lovato & Stefflon Don)
Jessie Ware - Midnight
Kali Uchis - Tyrant (feat. Jorja Smith)

Kesha - Praying
Little Mix - Power (feat. Stormzy)
Liv Dawson - Painkiller
MØ - Nights With You
N.E.R.D & Rihanna - Lemon
Niia - Sideline (feat. Jazmine Sullivan)

Paloma Faith - Crybaby
Princess Nokia - G.O.A.T.
Sampha - (No One Knows Me) Like The Piano
Selena Gomez - Fetish (feat. Gucci Mane)
Sigala & Ella Eyre - Came Here For Love
Sigrid - Don't Kill My Vibe
Sinead Harnett - Unconditional
Tayá - Deeper
The Kite String Tangle - The Prize
Toni Braxton - Deadwood
Tove Lo - Disco Tits

Love the albums from Sampha, Charli XCX, Miguel, Sabrina Claudio, Stormzy, Mabel, George Maple, Stormzy, The xx, J Hus, Cashmere Cat, Mura Masa, SZA, Kelela, Lorde & Kendrick Lamar. Enjoyed the Jessie Ware, Niia, Drake, Jhené Aiko, Kehlani, Tei Shi, Lana, Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa albums as well.

Unforgettable is a bop! Agree that Swae Lee carries the song. OMG, Swish Swish, Chasing Highs, Sky Walker, Selfish Love and LOYALTY. are all great and in appropriate positions. Think I'll end up ranking Blue Light a lot higher.

Enjoyed the Clean Bandit, Anne-Marie and Lana songs as well, though they didn't have that much replay value for me.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Thriller » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Katy Perry and ALMA are the highlights so far.
Thriller

Postby bluecherry » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Five phenomenal albums! Great to see such a mix (pop, rap, R&B, electronic, alternative R&B).
-'Unforgettable' is the first French Montana song I really enjoyed - moreso for Lee than him. It was one of my songs of the summer.
-'Swish Swish' is great but the video made it a bit stale.
-Tei Shi is phenomenal, so I love this inclusion. This is one of my favourite remixes in a while.
-ZEDD and Alessia Cara really made a great song with this, I love the chorus and the blend of Alessia and the electronic vocals.
-I enjoy 'Skywalker' but found it hasn't stuck like some of his other songs.
-'Love' is great - not Lana at her best - but it was the right song to release. I'm happy to see this happy side of her. I was happy to hear the strings as well.
-'Selfish Love' is such a smooth and assured song - I really enjoyed the spanish guitar.
-'Blue Light' is one of the best releases of the year to me. It's so ethereal.

I look forward to watching this countdown unfold!
bluecherry
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:52 pm

I wasn't keen with how you started if I'm honest, I found Harry's debut dull af and when I'm sober I think Swish Swish is actually quite embarrassing.

BUT.. deffo picked up!

Stay was one of my favourites for a while but like you I did overplay it and fall out of love with it. However, I do still like it and adore Alessia..
ALMA - Carly if you get chance to go see her, go. Saw her at a festival this year and even though she only had Dye My Hair and Chasing Highs under her belt it was just so full of bops for over an hour. Again, I like this less than I used to but it's a banger still,

Anne-Marie.. it's not her best song but it's still really decent pop and she sounds gorgeous.

My two faves here are I Miss You and Can't Do - didn't expect to see the latter in your chart! You're right about Julia and her live vocal but on record she sounds divine. I think despite its more subtle nagure it's absolutely up there with the best of their kitchen sink bangers. I adore it. And EE, its as brass and bonkers as ever but yes, a complete party!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:26 pm

UKMusicLova wrote:I do like Mariah's version, but don't really think it adds anything to the original which is what I like a remix to do!
Yeah I can definitely see that point of view. I think I enjoyed the tone she brought to the single. However I do prefer the original over Mariah's add on. Both compliment each other though.

CLEAN BANDIT | I Miss You (featuring Julia Michaels) - Great Song! My first exposure to Julia Michaels.

Not the biggest fan of anymore from this batch though. A lot are forgettable.... :-?
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:35 pm

I like the "Loyalty" video more than I do the song, but it was nice to have those two pair up. I think a Rihanna featuring Kendrick production would be more in my lane, but I suppose that will be coming shortly.
My Tribute to Janet Jackson: [#1 Revealed!]

I lost myself to music at a very early age, and I remained there.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:22 am

"Chasing Highs" is a good song, very catchy. I like to hear it on the radio from time to time.

"LOVE" is probably my favorite track from "Lust For Life", unfortunately not as good as many songs off "Ultraviolence" or "Honeymoon" IMO.

"Heavy" is another great song. I prefer it to "Alarm" which is my least favorite Anne-Marie song so far. I hope in 2018 we get an entire album from her.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks again all! Love reading the comments. bluecherry, i hope you will also be doing a countdown!

85. NAO | In The Morning

'In The Morning' is a torn NAO trying to decide whether she should let her lover go, and spare him from the heartache of a broken relationship as she no longer loves him. It has a wonderful sparse, but increasingly layered, production and NAO's vocals beautifully deliver the deep lyrics. It perfectly describes the lead up to that moment where you have to make a difficult decision, to hurt somebody, but knowing that it's the best for both parties in the long run. Also you can't mistake a NAO vocal, she has such a unique voice!

84. MABEL | Bedroom

Mabel has been making some serious waves in 2017, even scoring a hit with the amazing 'Finders Keepers', but the initial song they decided to release from her EP also titled 'Bedroom' was the title track. It's a great R&B midtempo, with some great electronic undertones. I love the way the production bends around her voice in the pre-chorus, it's such a great part of the song. Interesting to see where Mabel will go in 2018.

83. RAY BLK | Patience (Freestyle)

'Patience' is a perfect lazy Sunday track, I love the classic production with Ray's pitch perfect vocals. The song analyses the 'get rich or die trying' culture that prevails across the youth today, and Ray shows that she is happy taking her time and perfecting her craft, as she knows she will get to where she needs to be. It has a catchy hook, and Ray also spits a pretty great rap verse showing off her different talents. "All that glitters isn't gold" is a great quote that people often forget and Ray is quick to remind that whilst you may have the hits and money now, a music label will be quick to drop you once the hits dry up.

082. RINA SAWAYAMA - Cyber Stockholm Syndrome

'Cyber Stockholm Syndrome' brings together the idea that the online world can be an escape from the real world, and help social outcasts through things, but also can bring negativity and you can be stuck in this crazy cyber world. Rina takes influence from her growing up in Japan and her love of J-Pop but also the R&B/pop music she would have listened to living in the UK. I am interested to see if this girl can go mainstream, as she is interesting and can sing/dance. Would be cool to see her succeed!

081. JOEY BADA$$ | Rockabye Baby (featuring ScHoolboy Q)

"If you've got the guts, scream F*** DONALD TRUMP". This song is a revolution, and calling for more people to condemn a system in the US that is set up for black men to fail. The grimy production really suits the song, and both Joey and Schoolboy are offering great verses here filled with the kind of righteous anger that puts them alongside the likes of Kendrick! In a world where there is social inequality that prevails more within ethnic minorities, I'd like to see more rappers using their anger in positive ways such as this song to raise the issue further.
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:11 pm

When I saw that lyric, I just had to check out "Rockabye Baby". I like it, and it felt very Kendrick indeed.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:26 pm

NAO - quality
Mabel - good
Rina - yay!
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:59 pm

082. RINA SAWAYAMA - Cyber Stockholm Syndrome

I had never heard this song! Checked it out and i loved it! Great song :D
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Mabel's track is great, she's such a talent.
Thriller

Postby Benjamin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 pm

I like Mabel's song :)
Not familiar with these Joey BadA$$ and Rina Sawayama songs, but will check them out.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Blondini » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Predicted Jorja.

8-) Number 1 Angel.

Not mad keen on Selfish Love - it's OK but one of her worst singles and there's much better on the album.
Sign Of The Times is great.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby UKMusicLova » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:24 pm

Glad you liked 'Cyber Stockholm Syndrome' SummerPeur! :D Thanks for the comments

80. DAVID GUETTA | 2U (featuring Justin Bieber)

This has the makings of a great song, I absolutely love Justin Bieber's parts especially the smooth sounding lead up to the drop. Unfortunately the drop is pretty generic and substandard, but I think the FRNDS remix does go some way to sorting that creating a much more epic drop. Justin has been on a bunch of massive hits this year, his name basically guarantees a hit these days. This certainly wasn't the bigger hits of his but it gave David Guetta another hit!

79. JONES | Something Bout Our Love

JONES released one of my favourite albums of 2016, with 'New Skin', it was a wonderful pop/soul record. This track definitely marks a change in direction, produced by TIEKS it sees her going more uptempo with a disco inspired banger. It sort of reminds me of when Jessie Ware released 'Imagine It Was Us'. JONES let's her smooth vocals take the lead, which along with the production creates this really ethereal feel that takes you to another world. I would love this song to become a hit in 2018.

78. NOAH CYRUS | Again (featuring XXXTENTACION)

The younger Cyrus sister has been steady releasing a string of songs in 2017. She has been pretty hit and miss, but I think she hit the spot with this Labrinth produced mid-tempo. Labrinth always brings it with his production, always a slightly quirky pop, and Noah sounds great. It was a controversy having XXXTENTACION on the song, especially as he has an ongoing legal case regarding assaulting and raping his ex-girlfriend. It definitely wasn't the right choice to have him feature on a young girl's single, even if he is big on streaming platforms. But that does not take away from the song, and it being a good song.

77. J HUS | Did You See

Another big Afrobeats inspired UK smash hit, J Hus, has been one of the big breakthrough artists of 2017. He released a very strong album in the shape of 'Common Sense' which showed J Hus' ability to master a variety of different sounds. It's a melodic, laid back track that merges together Afrobeats with Caribbean influences and a catchy hook, that is impossible to get out of your head. I originally thought maybe Mura Masa was on production, but he did provide a great remix of the track anyway!

76. RAYE | The Line

It's about time that somebody released a song about those long queues outside nightclubs, when all you want to do is just dance to some awesome music! It isn't trying to be a deep song, it's just a fun song to play with your mates on a night out with lyrics that most of us will have experienced at some point. I do feel like RAYE is still trying to play with different sounds to find that hit, and her new song 'Decline' is a generic song that sounds like something Mabel refused, but looks like it may be her breakthrough. 'The Line' is catchy, different from what you hear on the radio. Reminds me of something that a Beyonce track produced by Charli XCX would sound like :lol:

75. TAYLOR SWIFT | ...Ready For It?

My favourite of the songs that Taylor released prior to her album, is '...Ready For It?'. It has an abrasive, almost Kanye-esque, production during the verses with Taylor almost spitting the lyrics which then leads to a typically melodic chorus. The song is about the inner turmoil, so I quite like that the production has these two different sides to it as it does represent that well. It's a pretty massive pop song, but there is certainly better on the album than what she teased prior.

74. SZA | The Weekend

SZA has been one of the big breakthrough artists on 2017, and I'm so happy for her because the music is not what is typically 'hot' right now, it's just bloody good and so honest. CTRL really felt like reading Solana's diary. It shows how much people gravitate towards her music, when 'The Weekend' was able to go top 40 in the US without even being an official single. A lot of people thought 'The Weekend' was SZA releasing a side chick anthem, but she has confirmed that there are no side chicks in this story. Everyone is the main girl, but they are all getting played. A different take on it, and we're often keen to call women side chicks which I feel takes the heat of the man who is the one cheating.

73. VANESSA WHITE | Running Wild

Who would've thought that a member of The Saturdays would go on to become one of the leading ladies in the burgeoning UK R&B scene. 'Running Wild' is a super sensual song, where Vanessa's smooth vocals really get a chance to shine, her voice was made for R&B. The song is a celebration of sex, a world away from what The Saturdays would release. "In my head you're screaming my name, we've been going at it for days, I think we need a break" - Vanessa is not holding her feelings back in this one!

72. CARDI B | Bodak Yellow

Cardi B, the rapper that became the first female rapper since Lauryn Hill, to top the Billboard Hot 100 with their solo single. The song isn't really anything unique, it is the typical trap influenced rap song that we have heard a lot of 2017, which meant it would become a massive streaming hit. I quite like the "i don't gotta dance, I make money moves" as a mention to her stripper past. She doesn't need to do that anymore! Cardi is spitting some great bars in this song, and it's so great to see another female rapper hitting it big!

71. BRUNO MARS | Versace Of The Floor

Y'all know I can't deny some Bruno Mars cheese, and he is giving it to us by the bucket load on this 80s influenced cheesy pop ballad. It's such a cute song though, and Bruno is serving on the vocals! It was an instant highlight of mine from his album, and I wish it was a bigger hit although I guess radio could not handle all of this cheese :lol: It does transport you to a dance you'd see in an 80s movie, where even though you're in a full room, you are in each others arms and not noticing anyone else. Super romantic, I'd leave my Versace on the floor for Bruno if he played me this song!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:56 am

Wow, this is a big batch!

As it was for you, "...Ready for It?" was my favourite pre-Reputation-release track. Like you, I love the abrasiveness of the chorus, juxtaposed to the sleek chorus. The only Reputation songs I prefer to this one are "Getaway Car" and "Call It What You Want".

"The Weekend" was one of the biggest R&B moments of the year. It seemed to divide a lot of people on Twitter, but everyone I know loves it.

"Bodak Yellow" was the hip/hop moment of the year. I don't think anyone expected Cardi B to deliver something quite so massive, and her back-story just makes the song level up on awesomeness.

I mentioned in my write-up for "Versace on the Floor" that it lacked something. I still can't put my finger on what that something is, but despite not being perfect, it was a big highlight of the year for me, and a strange 'flop' in my books. I really thought radio would have eaten it up.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:19 am

Not you educating me on solo releases by the Saturdays! I have kind of lost track with Vanessa since 'Don't Wanna Be Your Lover', which I really liked, as it start to all sound a bit similar to my ears? But I listened and did like this, thanks! It's just that others are doing stuff more in my lane

I've enjoyed what I have heard from SZA on Maroon 5 and Lorde tracks, and lately I have been listening to the Calvin remix of 'The Weekend', it's nice!

Rays track is cute, though generic as it is I think she's hit the nail more with Decline, J Hus has one catchy bit but besides that I quickly found it dull

Taylor I agree this was the best pre album single, I like its style, but now prefer Dancing With Our Hands Tied

2U is cute, but I agree with you I think it had chart success because of JB, it's a shame as DG hasn't had much success outside of it when he's had much more underrated and better output for me
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby UKMusicLova » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:02 am

king_oxymoron wrote:Not you educating me on solo releases by the Saturdays! I have kind of lost track with Vanessa since 'Don't Wanna Be Your Lover', which I really liked, as it start to all sound a bit similar to my ears? But I listened and did like this, thanks! It's just that others are doing stuff more in my lane
You should give her 'Chapter Two' EP a listen, it's a very confident collection of songs!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:19 pm

JONES is the biggest highlight there, I like the Noah Cyrus one too.
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:37 am

I like the Taylor and SZA songs

Bodak Yella is quite overrated imho, and the Noah Cyrus song is kinda catchy, but quickly grew off me because not only is that rapper disgusting, but I can't warm up to her personality either, she seems very wannabe and unsure of what style she wants to take with her music
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts