Total votes : 15

Postby luckyONE » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:33 pm

"...Ready For It?" is amazing.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Thriller wrote:JONES is the biggest highlight there,
I can only agree. Great pick.
luckyONE wrote:"...Ready For It?" is amazing.
Taylor's ''rapping'' is borderline hilarious.
But anyway that's just me.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Blondini » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:53 pm

I like Taylor's album but that track is terrible. No chorus at all and (most UK) radio has avoided it like cancer going for Gorgeous instead - correctly.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:48 am

Merry Christmas you lovely folks, hope everyone had a good day!

70. KATY PERRY | Chained To The Rhythm (featuring Skip Marley)

Katy Perry put aside the kitchen sink approach she tends to have towards pop music, to a more subtle socially conscious sound. It has a really nice warm, disco influenced production and is able to tread that careful line between having a message and becoming preachy. It certainly isn't one of Katy's best tracks, or amongst her biggest hits, but non-the-less is an enjoyable pop song that I enjoy hearing when it plays during a Spotify playlist.

69. MARSHMELLO | Silence (featuring Khalid)

Marshmello has become the big DJ of 2017 and he teamed up with everyone's new favourite crooner, Khalid, on the banger 'Silence'. The song is a great mash up of what both Marshmello and Khalid do best, the production is an EDM meets pop song, and the lyrics are actually quite sad but also about finding happiness in your loneliness and turning it into a positive. "Love only left me alone, but I'm at one with the silence", sums up the sentiment of the song.

68. TAYÁ | When Ur Sober (featuring Yxng Bane)

Tayá is one of the up and coming British R&B singers that are making waves, and is predicted to do well up in 2018. I would say she reminds me of Ariana Grande meets Mabel, so basically pretty amazing. 'When Ur Sober' is my favourite song of hers so far, it takes influence from mid-00s R&B, something I could imagine on Emancipation of Mimi if it were to be released in 2017. I'm a fan of Yxng Bane's feature as well, really fits the song rather than sounding forced in. The song is about the truth coming out when drunk, but once the alcohol wears off the words are taken back. We've all been there...

67. RITA ORA | Your Song

'Your Song' was penned by Ed Sheeran, and you can definitely hear his mark on the song, it's not too dissimilar from his own hit 'Shape Of You'. However I like that the light and spacious track makes room for Rita's warm, soulful tone. The bubbly synthy production develops along with the song, it's never too in your face, but it's just a happy pop track which I feel was necessary in 2017. The only issue, perhaps, with the song is that it's a bit faceless and it could have been anyone singing the song but luckily Rita was saving the big release for later in 2017!

66. JORJA SMITH X PREDITAH | On My Mind

Jorja Smith has been one of my favourite musical discoveries of the last couple of years, and with her recently winning the BRITS Critics Choice Award for 2018, it looks like her time may be set to come. Not bad for an artist that is independently releasing her music! With 'On My Mind' Jorja teamed up with Preditah to change up the tempo a bit, with a bit of classic garage. The delivery and lyrics, are typically Jorja (who is a great songwriter), but she rides the production so effortlessly. Also Preditah is doing his thing on that production, and keeping it understated enough for Jorja to shine.

65. CALVIN HARRIS | Feels (featuring Pharell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean)

I've been loving Calvin's slightly nostalgic sounds that he has been playing with on his Funk Wav. project. 'Feels' has some of that great 70s feel influence, that could have been a bit cringe especially with so many guest stars. But it manages to balance everything just right. Pharrell sounds at home on this type of production, Katy sounds almost Gwen Stefani-like, and Big Sean is offering such a fun rap verse. Everyone is doing their part on this track, creating a song perfect for the summer!

64. JESSIE WARE | Alone

Jessie Ware's 3rd album, 'Glasshouse', was perhaps a bit more ballad heavy than anyone wanted but how you can deny a voice this beautiful. 'Alone' is a generic ballad, but such a beautiful song, that you can almost ignore it is generic. Similar to how I felt about 'Halo' by Beyoncé. Jessie is letting her soulful vocals soar, but it's a shame that she has not given room for any of the quirky electronic production flourishes that we love her for.

63. CLEAN BANDIT | Symphony (featuring Zara Larsson)

'Symphony' is a stunning dance ballad, bringing together Clean Bandit's love of orchestral meets electronic production and Zara's soaring vocals. I always liked this video, but there are two things that made this song even more beautiful for me. One was the video, which gave the song another dimension, one of loss and mourning, and the other was the BBC Christmas advert, which shows the bond between father and daughter. It is a big song that showed a different side for both artists!

62. SIGRID | Plot Twist

Norwegian artist, Sigrid, is pipped to be one of the biggest new artists of 2018 and she definitely has the critics on side with a selection of big pop songs released in 2017. I love how explosive the chorus is in this song, and the yelling of 'SHOTS FIRED' is so catchy and fun to sing along! I understand some of the critique that it is quite similar to her debut single, 'Don't Kill My Vibe', but I love how this track sounds even bigger and Sigrid is delivering with the attitude. I think Sigrid's rough around the edges vocals means she can sing these pure pop tracks, and still make them sound cool!

61. ED SHEERAN | Shape Of You

Now onto the most overplayed song of the year, if not all time, Mr Sheeran's 'Shape Of You'. I do roll my eyes when I hear this now, but at the same time I can't stop grooving to it. It's such a catchy song, and the production is simple and fun to dance along to. You almost can't help but have it stuck in your head, which possibly adds to how annoying it is! For me it defined my time in one of my favourite countries I've been to in my trip, New Zealand, as I heard it SO BLOODY OFTEN when I was there! :lol:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:52 am

Yay for Katy, Rita, Calvin and Ed. The latter is my favourite out of the bunch :)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Thriller » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Strong batch... then you had to ruin it with Ed! :lol:

Zara's vocal on Symphony is her best showing yet, Jorja x Preditah was a great collab, Calvin's best song of the year, Jessie doing what she does best and Rita's really grew on me over a loooong time.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:35 pm

I completely agree with you on "Chained to the Rhythm" successfully " tread(ing) that careful line between having a message and becoming preachy," and I think that's exactly why I was so surprised to see it underperform on the charts.

Coincidentally, I was listening to "Your Song" - Elton's track - whilst reading your "Your Song" (Rita Ora) write-up. I have to agree yet again with you that the song is a bit faceless indeed, and it's so tame that it really is forgettable, albeit still decent.

I think I'm pretty much agreeing with everything you write about these songs. :lol: Everyone definitely pulls their weight on "Feels". It's one of Calvin's best songs, too, if not his absolute best.

The "Symphony" video was powerful indeed. For me, it's their second best song after "Rockabye".

I'm happy that I wasn't subject to Shape of You's overexposure. You have to be grateful when the biggest song of the year is actually something decent, and "Shape of You" was rather better than decent.
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Blondini » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Agree about Jessie.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Carbon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:00 pm

love Symphony, Alone, Feels and CTTR from this batch! I agree about Alone - too ordinary, but still beautiful
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:18 pm

"Your Song" is my favorite song by Rita Ora so far!
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:21 am

Decent batch, some of my big hitters fall out here for you...

Katy I was really impressed with, I guess we are not used to her being so subdued musically but I really liked it, far better than her more as you say kitchen sink attempts that followed. Big fan of her work on Feels though, and I really live for Big Sean's verse. Obviously I'm not a rap expert but I think he's the one I enjoy most these days.

Sigrid is a funny one as I really enjoyed Vibe and Strangers but not sure I even recall hearing this one. We have similar views about Shape of You, great but overplayed to hell, so placed it similarly.

Jessie I haven't been massively enamoured with this era but I have always preferred her live than on record anyway.

Symphony, man that BBC advert warms my heart. But it was a stunning vocal and production powerhouse of a song already, perfect fit. Rita is cute but wasn't the song of the era, I guess from that write up you agree,,
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Time to catch up!

89. ANNE-MARIE | Heavy
88. CLEAN BANDIT | I Miss You (featuring Julia Michaels)
78. NOAH CYRUS | Again (featuring XXXTENTACION)
75. TAYLOR SWIFT | ...Ready For It?
72. CARDI B | Bodak Yellow
71. BRUNO MARS | Versace Of The Floor
67. RITA ORA | Your Song
65. CALVIN HARRIS | Feels (featuring Pharell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean)
63. CLEAN BANDIT | Symphony (featuring Zara Larsson)
61. ED SHEERAN | Shape Of You
Lots of great tunes.
Love to see "I Miss You" and "Again" here, both way too underrated, especially the latter, which belongs to my absolute faves of the year as well. "I Miss You" didn't impress me at first, but it turned out to be a big grower and now i even prefer that one to "Rockaybe".

"Chained To The Rhythm", "Ready For It?", "Symphony", "Feels" and "Shape Of You" are all big hits of 2017 for me as well 8-)
Tansike
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for the comments all!

60. ANNE-MARIE | Ciao Adios

So according to Spotify, this was my most played song of 2017. I do remember listening it to loads at the time, but I am so surprised that it's my most played song as I have played other songs over such a longer period of time! :lol: Anyway, the song is a great summer song, not too dissimilar from something you could imagine Shakira releasing if she were to do a catchy tropi-pop bop! She is serving some top quality attitude on this track, but it retains its care free nature that makes it fun to listen to. I can see why it was a big hit for her, as the song was made for radio and the charts.

59. THE XX | I Dare You

'I See You' is possibly The xx's most accessible and pop-friendly album to date, and 'I Dare You' is again possibly the most pop song the trio have released to date. The project definitely seems to take more influence from Jamie xx's solo music, by being more dancey and uptempo. The smooth vocals are still there, but it's instead matched with a happy (for The xx standards) production with guitars, hand claps and summery synths. I love how the production builds as the song goes by. Also check out the video which stars Millie Bobby Brown from Stranger Things!

58. STEFFLON DON | Hurtin' Me (featuring French Montana)

I was a bit disappointed when I first heard 'Hurtin Me', as Stefflon had released some really exciting stuff such as '16 Shots' prior, so this felt like an obvious attempt at chart success and therefore lacking the personality that has created so much buzz around her. However over time I have come to really like the song, and to accept it for what it is, just a fun summer mid-tempo taking that Afrobeats and Dancehall influence that has been so big in the UK this year. It may lack the ferocity and energy that other Stefflon Don tracks have, but it was made for summer, and I'm glad it was a hit for her. Looking forward to what is next from her in 2018!

57. SABRINA CLAUDIO | Unravel Me

One of my favourite discoveries of 2017, Sabrina Claudio, released 'Unravel Me' as the first single from her incredible debut album, 'About Time'. Sabrina's gentle vocal compliments the sultry production so well. The song and Sabrina's voice just emits sex appeal, as does Sabrina's performance when you watch the music video. The ethereal production of the verses, bursts into a chorus of harmonies which is just incredible. The song is about guys who just will never figure her out, and she doesn't want them to. Love that concept for a track. Check Sabrina out if you haven't, her music is effortlessly cool!

56. FUTURE | Selfish (featuring Rihanna)

Such a shame this wasn't a big hit, as it's a surprisingly emotional urban pop duet. I love how confident a vocalist Rihanna has become, because she is using her voice in all the right ways in this track. There is a lovely synth-y production this song, and Future's falsetto falls beautifully behind Rihanna's voice in the chorus. Maybe it is is because 'Selfish' isn't as instant as some of Rihanna's other features, but it certainly deserved to do better than it did!

55. DAVE | No Words (featuring MoStack)

Who would have thought 2017 would be the year we have a grime artist called Dave! This song is a straight up banger between two exciting talents coming out of the UK at the moment, and was great seeing it become a hit earlier in the year. The production is smooth, and I enjoy the sing/rap combination of the song. It's super catchy, and very fun lyrically, but I definitely implore you to check out Dave's track 'Question Time' which almost plays as an open letter to the political institution of the UK from a passionate young black man.

54. LANA DEL REY | Lust For Life (featuring The Weeknd)

The chemistry Lana and The Weeknd have is undeniable, this song is a very classic sounding duet! Whilst I don't think this is as lyrically interesting as 'Love', and sonically it is pretty accessible pop for Lana standards, but it does sound so ethereal and does take you to that classic Hollywood feel somehow. It does feel lyrically confusing at points, how part of the song is very carpe diem, and then other parts of it feel like a sex jam! :lol: This is another song I was surprised underperformed, I thought it would be a big chart hit.

53. FIFTH HARMONY | He Like That

I wasn't too keen with 'Down' when it was released, it felt like an obvious attempt of trying to recreate 'Work From Home' but not as good, so was pleasantly surprised when 5H's album ended up being good. This was an instant standout, so I'm glad they released it as a single. They slay the video as well, so check it out. 'He Like That' is a very sexy song, and the slowed down guitar led production really adds to that energy. Whilst there are lots of R&B influences on the album, this track keeps that pop vibe that they are best known for, and provides a great catchy chorus to sing along too!

52. JUSTIN BIEBER X BLOODPOP | Friends

After a few big collaborations, and an apparently inability to not smash, Justin returned with his own single which is a collaboration with BloodPop. The pair have worked previously on Justin's huge smash hit, 'Sorry', and they are serving that catchy pop/electronic anthem again with 'Friends'. The verses here are certainly stronger than the chorus, which doesn't pack the punch of Sorry, but overall they have created another fine pop song. The song is about trying to re-patch a relationship that has turned sour, by becoming friends because you know there was something good there beyond the romantic relationship.

51. CALVIN HARRIS | Faking It (featuring Kehlani & Lil Yachty)

'Faking It' was an instant favourite of mine from Calvin's latest album, I just love Kehlani's voice, she makes any song sound good. This song has some groovy base, and some light synths thrown in there too, but compared to a lot of Calvin's songs it does feel so stripped back really focussing on the message of the song instead. I like how the tempo picks up during parts of the song, before dropping back, to let Kehlani take the lead again. Also a cute lyric from Lil Yachty about pepperoni and pizzas, why not!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:13 pm

"Ciao Adiós" was just okay for me. "Selfish" didn't make much of an impression on me. It's just a bit too slow, I guess.

"Lust for Life" was lovely. I love the chorus, and I'm happy that she and the Weeknd teamed up. I think that was a duet both fan bases were really excited for. "Friends" is good. It's a less potent "Sorry" for me.
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:42 pm

60. ANNE-MARIE | Ciao Adios
53. FIFTH HARMONY | He Like That
52. JUSTIN BIEBER X BLOODPOP | Friends
51. CALVIN HARRIS | Faking It (featuring Kehlani & Lil Yachty)

Great batch, lots of good tunes. "Ciao Adios" is definitely my favorite Anne-Marie song as a lead so far, though i also love the new song "Then".
Tansike
Legend

Postby Blondini » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Lust For Life is good, Friends v good.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Thriller » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 pm

Good batch, although that Fifth Harmony song was a big let down. Friends is still a great little tune, I slated Lana/The Weeknd as being like a parody at first as it is very Lana-by-numbers however it grew on me hugely!

Love that Calvin one of late and Stefflon Don grew on me hugely.
Thriller

Postby SummerPeur » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:28 am

S Z A - Ctrl
Just started getting into her...and i love this album so much!

Deserved so much higher :cry:

Standout song for me from this batch :D
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks for the comments guys! Happy New Year :D

50. CHARLI XCX | 3AM (Pull Up) (featuring MØ)

Perhaps not officially a single, but I did hear it on radio a few times, and it's such a good song that I had to include it. I love when Charli releases the more melodic pop music, and this manages to successfully mix the simple melodic pop with the hectic PC Music style of pop. Despite its dance/pop nature, '3AM' is actually a tale of a woman getting over her desperation of affirmation and eventually screaming 'go f*ck yourself' to a lover that is not playing a fair game. If you're a pop fan, I certainly recommend listening to Charli's 'Number 1 Angel' mixtape, it's a very strong effort!

49. CHARLIE PUTH | Attention

Not sure where this cool new sound for Charlie Puth has come from. After hearing his sickly sweet catchy pop music from his debut era, I would never expected something so groovy and cool from him. The song starts with a catchy guitar rhythm that serves as the backdrop of the entire song, but builds on the production with amazing vocal harmonies. The song is about a girl that is playing with Charlie's emotions, and only wanting his attention rather than his heart. It's a seductive song, and Charlie's falsetto sounds great on the song. With this, and 'How Long', I am almost excited for his next album!

48. PEKING DUK | Fake Magic (featuring AlunaGeorge)

I've definitely become a big fan of Peking Duk whilst being in Australia, I feel like you hear their songs all of the time here! This is a funk inspired pop/dance track, featuring the vocals of Aluna from AlunaGeorge! The song has a massive, and catchy, hook that will be lodged in your head when you listen to the song a few times. It almost has this psychedelic feel in the verses, and this funky pop production during the chorus, it's actually a real pop banger! "You can't buy with this paper or plastic", sing that girl!

47. SELENA GOMEZ | Bad Liar

I love a good uncomplicated pop song, that is perfect for those lazy summer afternoons, and Selena certainly delivers with the critically acclaimed 'Bad Liar'. I love how restrained the producers have kept the song, when you listen to the song you almost feel like Selena is in the same room singing the song during a jam session, it has a very authentic feel to it! Whilst it is a pop song through and through, and has a catchy chorus, the song does manage to sound different from everything else on the radio so props to Selena for taking that risk!

46. TINASHE | Company

This song really had to grow on me, as I was not a big fan when I first heard it, but it was the music video that finally sold the song to me. It is definitely one of my favourite music videos of the year, with Tinashe just showing what a star she is with the choreo-filled clip. The song has some glitchy synths, with Tinashe letting the guy know their situation is not serious, and she is nothing like girlfriend - she just wants some company! It's a shame that Tinashe has not made it yet, as she's a talented musician and performer, and she does seem to have lost her musical way a bit, but music videos like 'Company' are there to show what a talent she is!

45. DRAKE | Passionfruit

Drake has become a king of melodic urban/pop, releasing a couple of bangers every year now that absolutely smash. 'Passionfruit' follows that pattern, merging his love of dancehall music with just a smooth almost adult contemporary type of pop music. Drake's almost pure and untrained vocal really suits the care free feel of the song. Lyrically it is both happy and sad, and is about a woman who is "passionate from miles away" but "passive with the things she says". The song bursts with colour, and makes you want to two step with a drink in hand. No wonder everyone from Paramore to Mabel has been keen to cover it!

44. STEFFLON DON | 16 Shots

'16 Shots' is a real showcase of Stefflon's Jamaican background, and how she incorporates those sounds and Patois terminology into her music. The song is a very defensive track about what will happen if anybody talks trash about her mother. It captures, possibly to an extreme, the lengths that someone would go to protect and stand up for their mama. The song is full of energy, and shows what Stefflon Don is capable of. I hope we hear more stuff like this on her debut album, released in 2018.

43. SNAKEHIPS | Don't Leave (featuring MØ)

Snakehips are one of my favourite producers out right now, they just are so tight with the intricacies in their songs but are also very into a big catchy hook as evidenced by songs like 'All My Friends' and 'Cruel'. This is exactly the same, with a very anthemic chorus, backed by MØ's smokey vocals. I really love the concept of the song as well, especially the 'I may not ever get my sh*t together, but ain't nobody gonna love you better", it's a passionate and desperate plea to a lover. It's a very strong song, that balances confidence and vulnerability wonderfully.

42. NAO | Nostalgia

Nao definitely has been able to provide a nostalgic feel with this song, without it being a pure blast to the past, it manages to sound very current still. She released this funky track, as a one off single to tide fans over whilst she works on Album #2, and that it certainly did, I certainly played this track a lot over the year. It has a great 80s feel to the song, and features carefree vocals dedicated to a lover. I absolutely adore the build up to the end, with all of the key changes, it reminds me of a weirder version of 'Love On Top' in how it does that!

41. JORJA SMITH | Beautiful Little Fools

In a year that has been dominated by women empowerment, and finally feeling able to make a stand against the out-dated social constructs that still affect women today, it feels like it was the perfect time for Jorja Smith to release the soulful 'Beautiful Little Fools'. The track's origins are from a passage in 'The Great Gatsby', in which Daisy says she hopes her daughter will "be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." In today's age it seems some people still have this opinion of women, but this song seeks to empower instead. Jorja goes someway to let girls and women know that we are all beautiful, a message that remains important as we move into 2018.
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Çompany' is fantastic. Such an underrated tune.
Also big woo for 'Passionfruit'
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:50 pm

Faking It, Friends and Ciao Adios definite favourites from the first batch, not feeling he 5H track and much prefer How I Met My Ex from Dave

Big big fan of Charles new era, though I also loved much of his debut albums singles. Bad Liar is also good, maybe I should have charted it as is grown on me more recently.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Charlie, Selena and NAO are the best of that bunch!
Thriller

Postby Blondini » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:12 pm

3AM missed my 50 but i love the Charli set.

Drake track good.

Prefer Selena's Fetish for her urban material - and Only You of course.

Prefer Tinashe's Flame.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:30 pm

50. CHARLI XCX | 3AM (Pull Up) (featuring MØ)
49. CHARLIE PUTH | Attention
47. SELENA GOMEZ | Bad Liar
43. SNAKEHIPS | Don't Leave (featuring MØ)

Really enjoy these four from the latest batch, with "Bad Liar" being a clear standout to me :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:53 pm

Some really great tracks so far, 2017 for me had a lot of Kendrick and SZA playing.

And I freaking love "Silence". That song straight knocked me upside the head.
Muzikritik
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts