SZA - Love Galore
20%
The xx - On Hold
No votes

Total votes : 15

Postby UKMusicLova » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks again for all of the comments!

40. PORTUGAL. THE MAN | Feel It Still

Super catchy and funky indie-pop song, that seems to have smashed around the world! I can't help but think of "oooh wait a minute Mr Postman" during the chorus, but otherwise it is a great feel good song that you can't help but have a little shimmy to when you hear it. It's crazy that Portugal. The Man have had 7 albums prior to this song smashing, proves that sometimes it just takes that one song that will turn you into chart topping stars. Anyway the retro horns and and bass only add to this awesome pysch-pop banger.

39. LITTLE MIX | No More Sad Songs

One of the standouts when I first heard 'Get Weird', it was clear that this song would get the single treatment, but when it did it didn't end up smashing as much as the other singles from the album strangely. Possibly as it was being shadowed by 'Touch' which was still smashing. The song is a gorgeous electro/pop ballad, which showcases great vocals from the girls, and whilst it is an emotional track it does retain the catchy element that they have mastered so well. Little Mix are the biggest, and best, girl group out right now and this song is a great showcase of just why they are so great. Strange video concept though! :P Machine Gun Kelly doesn't really add much to the single version, so I've just charted the album version which has a beautiful middle 8.

38. JOEY BADA$$ | Temptation

'Temptation' is really a class way to create a socially conscious, but catchy song. It is bookended by the 2016 impassioned remarks by a 9 year old Zianna Oliphant following the police shooting that led to protests in Charlotte, USA. Breaks your heart that at the age of 9, a child should be able to notice the differences people of her race are treated. Joey describes the feeling of helplessness and being tempted to act out of character with every disadvantage bestowed on African-American people that weighs down his already heavy heart. I like that the juxtaposition of the light, carefree production - it makes it accessible to everyone and helps spread the message. Sort of reminds me of early Kanye.

37. JHENÉ AIKO | While We're Young

A cute mid-tempo describing the emotions of love, 'While We're Young', is definitely Jhene's dedication to her bae Big Sean. It has a great care free take on love, which is needed in a world where there is so much negativity to make your heart heavy. I like how rather being a typical "I'll do anything for you" type of love song, this song is about wanting to have a long term love but maintaining a strong sense of self. It's important to keep yourself "you" in any relationship! Jhene shows off her vocal range on the song as well, which is nice to hear using her voice in different ways. The video is also really cute, having a 50 First Dates influenced storyline where Jhene plays a girl who suffers short term memory loss.

36. CHANCE THE RAPPER | All Night (featuring Knox Fortune)

On the surface, "All Night" is the party get turnt up song by Chance The Rapper, and if you hear it out on a night out you probably will dance to it as if it is. But delve deeper into the song and you will actually notice that Chance is looking at expanse of his fame and the problems that has brought him. He rebuffs those hanger-ons, or opportunistic well wishers who weren't there before the fame. He talks about drunk girls who have spilt fries, sprite and even farted on his car seat - Chance is not about that life! It's a great song that I expected to be much bigger than it was.

35. BRUNO MARS | That's What I Like

A standout from Bruno's '24K Magic' album, 'That's What I Like' is such a catchy throwback influenced track about a doting boyfriend willing to spend his earns on his lady. Bruno is serving those vocals, that he is so well known for, and the giddy production makes for a fun track to dance and singalong too. Bruno is easily my favourite of the 'big male popstars' as I feel he is so passionate and involved in every aspect of his music and craft. He keeps delivering these smooth bops, time after time, and whilst most are borderline cheesy I just love them and him!

34. TOM GRENNAN | Royal Highness

Tom Grennan is one of my favourite musical discoveries of the year. He has this great cheeky chap vibe to his more uptempo tracks, but then has some stunning slower songs as well, all anchored by his powerful and soulful vocals. I definitely recommend you check out this guy, I feel he will be massive in 2018! 'Royal Highness' is one of his catchy uptempo's that will get stuck in your head. He's looking for a girl to be his royal highness, specifically love with a bit of a 'sting' to it (HELLO TOM, IT'S ME :lol: ). I am looking forward to his album, 'Lighting Matches' out this year.

33. THE KITE STRING TANGLE | This Thing We Got

One of the songs that I have discovered whilst being in Australia, 'This Thing We Got' is a wonderfully sincere song about a fling that you can see becoming more than that. It's a great dance track, it's groovey and has some lavish horns that are presented over the track particularly over the hook. His EP is quite down tempo, so this track becomes an instant highlight as it provides a break within that. Dan's vocals are quite playful and there is a strong guest vocal on the hook that adds to the vibe of the song!

32. LOUIS FONSI & DADDY YANKEE | Despacito (featuring Justin Bieber)

Possibly onto the biggest track of the year now, and one that probably has suffered from overplay quite a bit, but still manages to be super catchy and enjoyable for me. It is so catchy, and has now helped the explosion of Latin influenced songs now taking over the charts. I really enjoy Justin's addition to the track, it's very complementary to it rather than taking over the track. I recently checked out what the lyrics mean in English and this song is FILTH. Wash your mouths out lads :lol:

31. SNAKEHIPS | Either Way (featuring Anne-Marie & Joey Bada$$)

Snakehips are one of my favourite producers around at the moment, they always come with the slick productions, and 'Either Way', is no exception. It's a shame this song was not a hit, as it's so underrated. I love the understated vocals from Anne-Marie riding the production and Joey's addition is so complementary to the song. I really love when Anne-Marie uses her vocals in this way, she did the same with 'Heavy', it really suits the understated synths of the song as well. Very classy song!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:47 pm

"Attention" is decent. "Passionfruit" is good, and continues down a well-trodden path for Drake, but one that seems to fit him.

"Feel It Still" is insanely catchy! I love it. "That's What I Like" is groovy and irresistible. I'm not sure Bruno even has it in him to release a sub-par single. :lol:

"Despacito" is a bop, and I agree that Justin's involvement complements an already solid track; in fact, he elevates it to a new level of greatness for me.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:25 am

P. TM and Bruno are the best of that lot, but the Chance The Rapper track was a massive earworm at the time!
Thriller

Postby Tansike » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:15 pm

39. LITTLE MIX | No More Sad Songs
35. BRUNO MARS | That's What I Like

Two solid songs, though the weakest singles of their albums IMO
Tansike
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 pm

30. SABRINA CLAUDIO | Belong To You (featuring 6LACK)

I love the original rendition of this song, but there is something about the 6LACK remix that I absolutely fell in love with. It really works as a duet, and 6LACK's vocals give the song a new energy. I really like how Sabrina takes the higher harmony on his entire verse, that's not too common but again is such a nice touch to the song. The song is Sabrina's typical vibe-y R&B, the type of music that just caresses you as you're listening. The production on this builds so nicely, with so many different layers by the time you get to the final chorus. Sabrina wrote this song as a love song to herself!

29. LORDE | Homemade Dynamite (featuring Khalid, Post Malone & SZA)

'Homemade Dynamite' was already a big tune, but Lorde was after those streaming points when she enlisted 2017's big newcomers; Khalid, SZA and Post Malone. All three artists really added their own vibe to the track, whilst retaining those touches that makes the song great. My favourite guest is actually Post Malone on this, who really is bringing energy and charisma to his verse, compared to some of his solo music! My only critique of the song is that she could have made the remix slightly longer, as it feels like there's no room to breathe between all of the features, but it is a great complement to the wonderful album version.

28. KENDRICK LAMAR | DNA.

When Geraldo Rivera made ignorant comments about how hip-hop having done more damage to African Americans than systematic racism, Kendrick surely wasn't going to let that slide. He even included Rivera's words within the body of the song. The song is aimed at the media coverage towards a genre, the misinterpretation of rap music and the culture of fear it breeds. Kendrick is championing the black heritage and culture that made him, while dispelling rap stereotypes. This is Kendrick at his best, delivering bar after bar with so much passion. The final part of the song, where the production becomes for industrial, his flow is ridiculous.

27. GEORGE MAPLE | Hero

George Maple is delivering a stunning electro-pop ballad, complemented by her beautiful soulful vocals, with 'Hero'. In a world where we are told to be empowered and brave, sometimes we can feel lonely and afraid. 'Hero' seeks to help the listener embrace the strength in vulnerability. I saw George perform this at Beyond The Valley Festival, and it felt like such a big moment seeing her perform her live. That euphoric production towards the end of the song really takes you to another place! Definitely one for fans of Jessie Ware, check it out!

26. JORJA SMITH | Teenage Fantasy

We all had that person we thought was the 'love of our lives' when we were in our teenage years, that guy/girl that your parents tried to warn you wasn't your "forever" but were blinded by young love. This is the moment you wake up and realise that they were right, and you have so much more life after the first love. I love the part where it goes "I need to grow and find myself, before I let someone love me, cos at the moment I don't know me". I feel like this song is literally describing my teenage years, Jorja has written it in such an easy to relate way. Listen to your parents kids! :lol:

25. KELELA | LMK

'LMK' was the first song released from Kelela's 'Take Me Apart' project, and it was an obvious attempt at releasing more pop-accessible track. This doesn't mean that she lost everything that makes her special, she masterfully kept all of the Kelela parts that we love but made something catchy that wouldn't sound out of place on the radio. The song is about a no commitment kind of love, again quite a well documented subject in 2017 pop music, but Kelela almost makes the desire for this feel urgent. The song is just a really good urban/pop banger. "No one's tryna settle down" :P

24. STORMZY | Big For Your Boots

2017 is the year that Stormzy became one of the biggest male artists in the UK, and even has had great success worldwide. The song was produced by Grime legend, Sir Spyro, and also given some pop flourishes by Fraser T Smith. This song is Stormz shutting down his competition, he is dropping some speedy bars over an orchestral production, it was just a great comeback for the rapper. I also really like the video for the song, it is dominated by some badass women who are finally not in a rap video to look "hot" but actually presented as equal to the men!

23. JAX JONES | You Don't Know Me (featuring RAYE)

Jax Jones just knows how to put together a simple, but bloody good, pop track. He's not trying to create cool drops, it's just good old fashioned pop tracks with attitude. I love RAYE's input on this song, she is delivering straight up Beyonce attitude, we've all been there with these boys in the club getting in your space trying to dance with you. No boy. I don't need you in my space trying to talk to me while i'm trying to have a good time dancing! :lol: I love the cheeky, almost cocky, lyrics. The song is a perfect pre-night out song but also great to hear whilst out.

22. THE XX | On Hold

A poll option drops! I think 'On Hold' may be technically 2016, but I listened to it mainly in 2017. I like how 'On Hold' was a first taste into the more extroverted xx, possibly taking influence from the more production heavy solo music that Jamie xx does. It almost feels like The xx may have made a summer track with this song, it doesn't sound out of place at a barbecue or something. The song retains that gloomy vibe that the band are known for, but definitely has those sprinklings of positivity that were heard across the 'I See You' album. It was a needed switch up for them, and I am interested to see if they'll take it any further.

21. GRYFFIN | Love In Ruins (featuring Sinead Harnett)

I have loved quite a few of Gryffin's remixes of big pop hits, but this was his first solo track I really fell in love with. The track starts off so moody and understated, before exploding into a full dance track carried beautifully by Sinead's soulful vocals. I always love a dance track where you still feel the emotion from the lyrics and vocals and this song just does that pretty perfectly. I feel like euphoria has been the word of this set of songs, but this track really does have such a euphoric sounding chorus. It just takes you away to another world, no matter where you hear the song you will feel you are the only one in the room dancing to it!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:00 pm

"Homemade Dynamite" is fantastic. I agree that everyone shines on the remix. The original album version is great, but I think I actually prefer the remix. "DNA" is also my highlight of Damn.

Yeah, "Teenage Fantasy" speaks the truth. :lol: *Sigh* :(
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm

I like that Lorde song.
Jax Jones is a tuneeee 8-)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:25 am

Jax Jones is a banger but I honestly feel like it was released in 2014! Lorde is good, I enjoyed that remix, nearly charted it myself
Biggest yes has to be for the Snakehips song, it's soooooo good!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:44 am

king_oxymoron wrote:Jax Jones is a banger but I honestly feel like it was released in 2014!
I had to check then to make sure it was eligible :lol:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:46 am

21. GRYFFIN | Love In Ruins (featuring Sinead Harnett)
I kinda liked this one
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm

George, Jorja and Kelela! Great trinity of cool women, especially George.

Undeniable banger from Jax. Great to see some love for Gryffin, top quality tune.
Thriller

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:07 am

A few possibly less known tracks in this set, that I really encourage you to listen to as they BOP! :P

20. MILEY CYRUS | Malibu

To date Miley has been known for her big pop songs, with massive sing-a-long hooks, and perhaps 'Malibu' still has the latter but it's a much more relaxed, and breezy summer pop song from Miley. It feels like a very personal song, and Miley sounds very sincere and almost pure on it. It perfectly suits her natural country twang, and smokey vocals. I love the more uptempo parts of the song, it's just a perfect song for those lazy summer days. I know some weren't a fan of this, and prefer the bigger pop moments that she has released in the past, I thought it was very pleasant seeing her release something she seemed to really like and be comfortable with.

19. NIALL HORAN | Slow Hands

After 'This Town', which I thought was super boring, I didn't really hold out much hope for solo Niall Horan. Well Ladies and Gentlemen, I was proven wrong by the super confident 'Slow Hands', who would have thought Niall would be releasing something so sexy! The song has heavy beat, but manages to sound smooth throughout with the help of Niall's vocals and some sexy guitar licks. I also enjoy the role reversal in this song, where it's the girl making the first move in the song. I just appreciate a song where the production really suits the lyrical content, and this song is a perfect example of that. This may possibly be my favourite 1D release to date (battling with ZAYN's 'Pillowtalk').

18. RAY BLK | Chill Out (featuring SG Lewis)

RAY BLK, along with producer SG Lewis, have created a great fusion of R&B and electronic with the smooth 'Chill Out'. The lyrics of the song have been quite a common topic in 2017 R&B, a strong woman who is wanting to get rid of a clingy guy that she doesn't want to develop a relationship with, she just wants him on a Friday with some high grade. There's some great vibrating synths in the song, which gives it a really cool vibe which fits the 'chill out' vibe of the song. I recommend this song if you're into R&B, RAY's vocals and lyrics along with SG's production really is something you don't want to miss. Also the music video is paying homage and support to the LGBTQ community who often live in fear, in Jamaica. The proceeds of the video went towards building a safe house for members of this community in Kingston.

17. TASH SULTANA | Jungle

A song that was released in 2016, but I only became aware of it in 2017 when I met some Australians in Vietnam at the top of the year. I have since then fallen in love with Tash Sultana, who is possibly the coolest woman in music at the moment. She is super talented, plays practically every instrument under the sun and releases some bloody awesome music. CHECK HER OUT! She is a true one woman band. This song manages to combine Rock'n'Roll, Indie, Ska and Reggae so wonderfully, and Tash's vocals on top it all is just the cherry on top. She has such a great, soulful, tone. There aren't actually any vocals in this song until about 2 minutes in, the first part of the song is just really a showcase of Tash's musicianship. I am so excited for this girl, and hope I'll get the opportunity to see her live while I am in Australia.

16. TEI SHI | Say You Do

Tei Shi explores many sounds on her album, 'Crawl Space', and 'Say You Do' is the Colombian-Canadian singer's pop song! It's a catchy ode to 80s pop, so smooth, like something you could imagine Jessie Ware releasing. Tei Shi's vocals sound beautiful on the song, which is funny as the interlude before this song is a child Tei Shi upset as she thought she was a bad singer and wanted to be like Britney Spears. Well she definitely is not a bad singer anymore! You can tell she grew up on Britney Spears and MTV, with the MV as well, with its sensual choreography in the back of a limousine. She is a real Femme Fatale like her idol!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Niall, low-key loved that song... don't know the others (well, Miley, but I found it a bit blah) so will try and listen.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 pm

"Malibu" was a fantastic change of pace for Miley. It was gentle and breezy, but never boring. Just a light, fluffy, romance-driven ballad. It's definitely among her best singles to date.

"Slow Hands" is fantastic! I definitely didn't expect something so big and sensual from Niall. It's probably the fourth best post-1D offering from the boys, after "Pillowtalk," "I Don't Wanna Live Forever," and "Sign of the Times".
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Niall has had such a strong year, and I am really glad to see him so represented across such a wide variety of UKMixers. Malibu was quite but didn't hold my attention too long!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:48 pm

15. BANKS | Underdog

As much as she deserves it, I don't expect Banks to ever set the charts alight with her music, although if she ever would I definitely thought 'Underdog' would have the best chance. This sassy, uptempo R&B influenced track is something slightly different for Banks but manages to balance her sound and something more commercial sounding so well. I love the "rah" parts, it really adds something fun to the song. Banks and Al Shux just work so well together, and I love the ferocity of this song - it's so in your face! I don't know if she's in the mood to release another album anytime soon, but I need more music asap!

14. SZA | Love Galore (featuring Travis Scott)

SZA always manages to put another angle on topics well covered in pop and R&B music. This song starts feels like that 2am text you get from a booty call with Travis Scott almost slurring "i need, I need" without finishing and Sza completing it with "love". Except in this song love is not depicted as devotion but something more sordid and only existing in the confounds of the bedroom. She's taking control of a situation, where she knows the guy is non-committal, it's on her terms. There is an air of confusion as to why he is calling when he knows he has a woman, and a moment where she has questioned if this is the right decision but then the comes to terms that this is just love that she wants now. There's no remorse or regrets, just love.

13. LORDE | Green Light

After a bit of a break following Lorde's both critically and commercially successful debut album, there was a lot of anticipation for her comeback and she did not disappoint! Despite starting off as a piano ballad, it builds with a pulsating piano beat to an all out pop banger, with a sing-a-long chorus! The song is about that in between stage between where you have been through a break-up and trying to find that 'green light' in order to move on. It's a very relatable concept, and when it's put together with such a confident and feel good production it definitely feels like Lorde has released that very 'green light' for people to be able to move on from their own situations!

12. MARTIN GARRIX | Scared To Be Lonely (featuring Dua Lipa)

I can't believe that this was released in 2017, it feels so old now! I absolutely was obsessed with this song for a while, I absolutely love the haunting orchestral synths paired with Dua's moody vocal in the verses and the great build up. The drop is a bit generic, but still works with the song and creates something that has been very memorable for me and a song that reminds me of great times earlier in the year! Dua has such a distinctive vocal, and it works really well with dance music - I wouldn't mind a few more collaborations with DJs from her moving forward. I do get the criticism that it's a bit too similar to 'In The Name Of Love' but this one is far better in my opinion!

11. CAMILA CABELLO | Havana (featuring Young Thug)

Camila was always one of my least favourites from Fifth Harmony, and never expected I would enjoy her solo music. I thought she also wouldn't do too well, and looked to be right at first, but this song goes to show that all it takes is one song to absolutely turn things around. It's just IRRESISTIBLE. She sounds great vocally on it, love the smokey tone, and the whole vibe of the song just takes you to the streets of Havana. I imagine old men around smoking cigars, and old cars driving the cobbled streets while listening to this song. You know it's a special song when just sonically it can conjure up those images and feels. It definitely feels like one of the many 'fluke' hits of 2017, and has taught me to be more open minded with new music!

Top 10 coming up y'all!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 pm

29. LORDE | Homemade Dynamite (featuring Khalid, Post Malone & SZA)
22. THE XX | On Hold
20. MILEY CYRUS | Malibu
19. NIALL HORAN | Slow Hands
15. BANKS | Underdog
13. LORDE | Green Light
12. MARTIN GARRIX | Scared To Be Lonely (featuring Dua Lipa)
11. CAMILA CABELLO | Havana (featuring Young Thug)

Very happy to see "Homemade Dynamite" so high. Seriously, i thought this would be THE hit from her album, so i'm sad it wasn't :(
"Malibu" is definitely my fave of the latest few updates. Such a strong pop song! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:27 pm

Yes! 13-11 are all excellent.

I find it weird calling something like Scared To Be Lonely dance, perhaps you can help me identify when it is and when not, is it jut cause it's Garrix? Anyway whatever the reason I adore it.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby heppolo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:15 am

16. TEI SHI | Say You Do

And then we had zero comments in Tei Shi related threads :D
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:39 pm

LORDE. Have you heard the Chromeo remix??

Martin & Dua grew slowly on me.
Thriller

Postby UKMusicLova » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 am

Thriller wrote:LORDE. Have you heard the Chromeo remix??
I just listened to it, and I like it! It actually really suits that electro-funk feel :lol:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:13 am

10. MURA MASA | 1 Night (featuring Charli XCX)

I was already in love with the bangers that Mura Masa had released with A$AP Rocky, Shura, NAO and Bonzai, so was super keen to hear that he had done a track with Charli XCX. It perfectly marries up both of their styles, something more pop for Mura Masa but more left field and electronic for Charli! The production really gives Charli's vocals a chance to shine next to the breezy steel drum beat. Lyrically the song looks at the emotions you can harbour after a one night stand. Also I saw Mura Masa live at Beyond The Valley, and this POPPED AWF live!

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:14 am

9. MABEL | Finders Keepers (featuring Kojo Funds)

I've been a big fan of Mabel for a while now, ever since hearing her song 'My Boy My Town' back in 2015 so it's pretty awesome seeing her having great success now! It's a smooth and rhythmic R&B song, pretty in keeping with what is popular right now without coming off as copy cat. The song is about wanting a guy to come over and dance with you, but it's nothing deep, Mabel is not looking for a relationship just something fun for the moment. I love the "is it criminal for me to want you, right here right now" line. I love Kojo Funds' intro the song, it really suits the vibe of the song, and Mabel's gorgeous vocal really does get a chance to shine over the chilled production.

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Love Galore and Havana are good songs

Green Light is a bit overrated by fans, yet underrated by the public, can't really put my finger on it
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:07 pm

checked out "1 Night" and it's great. 8-)
luckyONE
Superstar

Return to Year End Personal Charts