Adam's Top 100 of 2017! [SINGLES, ALBUMS & ARTISTS]

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Which is my No.1 song of 2017?

Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson - Symphony
15%
CNCO x Little Mix - Reggaeton Lento (Remix)
No votes
Everything Everything - Desire
8%
Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill
15%
Lorde - Green Light
23%
MK - 17
8%
Niall Horan - Slow Hands
15%
Paramore - Hard Times
8%
Royal Blood - Lights Out
No votes
Sigrid - Don't Kill My Vibe
No votes
Steps - Neon Blue
8%
Two Door CInema Club - Lavender
No votes

Total votes : 13

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:54 am

Hello! It's December which means it's almost time for my annual countdown of best singles, albums and artists of the year!

This year sadly will be a little less of a 'full bodied' countdown as work have taken away our internet privileges and honestly that's when I did most of the commentary :lol: But I'll do my best!

In the above poll are 12 contenders for my No.1 singles spot - I guarantee that one of them IS the chart topper, but can also tell you that as usual, not all of these songs have even charted in the top 100 - it's up to you to decide which is which and pick the song you think is my favourite of the year - let me know what you've chosen too so I can see who is right and wrong!

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

To help you a little, here are my top 10s of the past five years..

10. Shawn Mendes - Mercy
09. AlunaGeorge ft. Popcaan - I'm In Control
08. Zara Larsson - Lush Life
07. NEIKED ft. Dyo - Sexual
06. Craig David & Sigala - Not Giving Up
05. Little Mix - Touch
04. Two Door CInema Club - Are We Ready? (Wreck)
03. Alessia Cara - Scars To Your Beautiful
02. Fifth Harmony - That's My Girl
01. Gorgon City ft. Vaults - All Four Walls

10. Foxes - Better Love
09. Jessie Ware - Champagne Kisses
08. Sia - Alive
07. Selena Gomez ft. A$AP Rocky - Good For You
06. Chemical Brothers ft. Q-Tip - Go
05. Sara Bareilles - She Used To Be Mine
04. Duke Dumont - Ocean Drive
03. Fifth Harmony ft. Kid Ink - Worth It
02. Calvin Harris & Disciples - How Deep Is Your Love
01. Years & Years - King

10. Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
09. will.i.am ft. French Montana, Miley Cyrus & Wiz Khalifa - Feelin' Myself
08. Sara Bareilles - I Choose You
07. The Kooks - Around Town
06. Twin Atlantic - Heart And Soul
05. The Saturdays - Not Giving Up
04. Austin Mahone ft. Pitbull - Mmm Yeah
03. Oliver Heldens x Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive)
02. Katy B - Crying For No Reason
01. Royksopp & Robyn - Do It Again

10. The Saturdays ft. Sean Paul - What About Us
09. Naughty Boy ft. Sam Smith - La La La
08. Booty Luv - Black Widow
07. Mumford & Sons - Hopeless Wanderer
06. Paramore - Now
05. Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
04. VV Brown - The Apple
03. Fall Out Boy - The Phoenix
02. OneRepublic - Counting Stars
01. Paramore - Still Into You

10. Kelly Rowland ft. Big Sean - Lay It On Me
09. Two Door Cinema Club - Sun
08. Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait
07. Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble
06. Ellie Goulding - Figure 8
05. Arctic Monkeys - R U Mine?
04. Christina Aguilera - Your Body
03. DJ Fresh ft. Rita Ora - Hot Right Now
02. Aiden Grimshaw - Is This Love
01. Maroon 5 - One More Night

------------------

So get voting as to what YOU think No.1 is - the countdown will begin SOON!
Last edited by king_oxymoron on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:47 am, edited 14 times in total.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Fan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:00 am

king_oxymoron wrote:This year sadly will be a little less of a 'full bodied' countdown as work have taken away our internet privileges and honestly that's when I did most of the commentary :lol: But I'll do my best!
:lol: :lol:
That made me laugh!

And Steps for the win!!
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 pm

Looking forward to this. I've voted for Niall for the win!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Voted for Niall. It's a wild guess :P
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:47 pm

I think Niall is too obvious a pick to actually go all the way, so I went with Lorde.

Looking forward to this! :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 am

it would be nice to see "Symphony" be your #1 so I voted for this song. :D
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Fan wrote:
king_oxymoron wrote:This year sadly will be a little less of a 'full bodied' countdown as work have taken away our internet privileges and honestly that's when I did most of the commentary :lol: But I'll do my best!
:lol: :lol:
That made me laugh!
+1 :lol:

(I would die if this happens to me too because i'm doing most of the comments & stuff at work too :oops: :oops: :oops: )

Really looking forward to the countdown. LOVE "Symphony", so i went with this in your poll :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Paramore.
Thriller

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 pm

100. Una Healy ft. Sam Palladio - Stay My Love
First up this year is the solo venture of the Saturdays elder statesmen, guitar plucker and now country musician, Una Healy-Foden-Healy. Here she teams up with Nashville star Sam Palladio for a very sweet ballad duet which features some beautiful harmony and lovely restrained vocals. I'll be honest, it's not fully my bag and I gave it more time of day purely because I adore the Saturdays and want to support them, but in doing so I have definitely allowed it to grow on me much more than I would have, so I'm glad. Una sounds gorgeous and while it's a very simple ditty, the middle 8 for example is stunning and their harmony works really well. Una has better on her debut album 'The Waiting Game', though.

099. ALMA ft. French Montana - Phases
ALMA had a fantastic 2017 and was at the forefront of some of radios favourite and catchiest hits. I had the pleasure of catching her at this years Sziget Festival, directly after Pink - and though there was absolutely no comparison in terms of recognisable hits, ALMA did an incredible job in filling the same time allocation with danceable catchy hits, we just didn't know most of them. This song alludes to something we can all relate to, hooking up while at Uni, and regretting it! It's perhaps more subtle than the likes of Chasing Highs, but that allows you to appreciate her vocal a little more. It's cute!

098. Iggy Azalea ft. Anitta - Switch (Tom Swoon Remix)
Another one I saw at Sziget this year. Conversely, Iggy was completely OVER it and was very candid about playing songs we would 'never hear again as her album would never come out'. Well one song I did hear lots more of, off my own back, was this ditty. It's such a simple concept (the idea of traffic lights in song) but incredibly catchy. Iggy is never going to be remembered as a rap wordsmith, but the track is cute and catchy and did the trick for me this year!

097. The Script - Rain
When I first heard this on New Music Friday I was in Manchester and while I thought it was nice, I didn't think it was in your face enough to catch on. I was very wrong and they had a big hit with it but for me it doesn't compare to their greatest works, it's just nice! The bridge 'cause when I'm sitting in the bar all the lovers with umbrellas seem to pass me by' is clever and catchy, but while I am a fan of the Script and can very much appreciate this song, they have done far better for me.

096. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut To The Feeling
This is a funny one for me as the chorus is so incredibly catchy! However for me, the rest of the song doesn't live up to the same standard and that's what lets it down a little. Still, it deserved to be more of a hit than it was. Perhaps someone can make an edit of just the chorus over a thumping bassline and we can all agree to buy it enough to make it a chart topper? Who is in?

095. Royal Blood - Lights Out
Royal Blood followed up their catchy, hook heavy debut album this year with... more catchy hooks! The lead single didn't quite follow that path though, for me it is darker (no pun intended) and heavier than before. It is still melodic and easy to follow though and made for yet another singalong moment in their brilliant Glastonbury set in June. Still, for me, they've had bigger moments than this.

094. Harper - Bad Luck
One thing that changed in 2017 was my consumption of music... I finally gave in and signed up to Spotify Premium, and in among the pop hits playlist was this little number. Opposite to Carly, it's the verses that are really standout. Very catchy pop music - disco-tinged - at its best. Maybe the verses of this and Carly's chorus could be put together. However, the chorus of this isn't as much of a non event as Carly's verses and so it holds its own as a full song better, I just wish it had a bit more of a punch after those brilliant verses.

093. Anton Powers & Pixie Lott - Baby
When I first heard this live on The Voice, I honestly thought it was diabolical. Cheap, generic, nasty. And yet what an earworm. It has sort of crept up on me throughout the year and now I have to admit I kinda like it. I still think some of it is cheap and generic... but I don't hate it anymore. The baby, baby, baby, baby refrain that once made me pull faces I now think is pretty great. I mean she's done far better but she's heading back in the right direction.

092. Calvin Harris ft. Frank Ocean & Migos - Slide
There was very much a change of pace from Calvin Harris this year, probably a decent idea given that he could have been in danger of getting a bit repetitive. A decent tactical move but a potentially risky one as his new funk grooves route is never going to be as crowd pleasing as his superstar dance DJ one. And yet, this tune has really stood the test of time with decent longevity and became another big hit for him. So much more laid back than usual, Frank Oceans crooning over a new Calvin style really worked and became a staple of playlists the world over.

091. Cash Cash ft. Conor Maynard - All My Love
Conor Maynard seems to make my list one way or another every year. His covers collection (while some are nice) doesn't seem to me to be the way to rectify a proper pop career, but his 2017 dance features have been a lot more promising. This is another song I thought was cheap and basic at first.. I need to stop being so judgemental! I stand by that the bleepy chorus is lazy and generic, but the actual vocal led parts are very catchy and well sung. It's not going to win any awards for breaking new grounds, but it's a decent effort at a hit dance single.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Starting off so strongly.....and with non other then: 100. Una Healy ft. Sam Palladio - Stay My Love.

One of the standouts from Girls Aloud alongside Cheryl. Glad to see her make the CD.

Also! Good to see 098. Iggy Azalea ft. Anitta - Switch (Tom Swoon Remix) make an appearance, and a REMIX of it as well....... :D

+ Love 096. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut To The Feeling as well.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby Thriller » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 am

Carly, Pixie and Calvin are the best three in that sat. Carly can't seem to catch a break despite producing amazing 80s throwback music, Pixie at least managed a low-key success with Baby and I loved it immediately despite its generic ways. Calvin I think this overshadowed Slide with what came after but it's still very good.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm down for the "Cut to the Feeling" #1 campaign. #justice4qualitypopmusic

I'm listening to "Slide" now, and it sounds better than I remember it being. Still, both Calvin and Frank have done better, though I may be at fault here for not giving this more of a chance earlier in the year.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:35 pm

LOVE the Iggy song, though haven't heard the remix yet

also kudos for Baby, I felt the same way about it at first, but it's a grower!
Carbon
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:19 am

"Slide" is my favorite so far, I was positively surprised about the way the "Funk Wav Bounces Vol 1" album sounds! :)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm afraid I don't know many songs from that bunch. Didn't even know Una had released solo music!
The Carly one is nice though, very poppy and catchy. The Script was so disappointing, coming from someone who used to adore them.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, all! Seems like I am writing just as much as usual so far :lol:

090. Ricki-Lee - Not Too Late
A big change up in style from one of my favourite Aussie artists this year. Ricki-Lee did away with disco-dance and revealing outfits and served up a big, full vocal ballad. The first time I heard it I was just blown away, the range she shows in the chorus and the power of her voice is really something spectacular, and the second time she hits her big note you can hear the rawness of the vocal. I think she said they took the first take because it was just so raw and powerful and genuine. I love that.
It's a beautiful song throughout, but I have to admit it's not one I have had on constant repeat. But each time I go back to it I am blown away a little again at what a vocal masterclass I am listening to. Really classy, mature stuff from her.. I don't think it did massive things in the ARIA charts but getting a live perfomance from her was stunning.
Check the single below!

089. Martin Solveig ft. ALMA - All Stars
More ALMA already. I had heard this before I got to see her live and thought it was cute, but it was that live showing that really brought it to the forefront for me. True, I was quite tiddly by this point in the evening, but having a bop as the bass kicked in and screaming out 'CALLING ALL STARS COME OOOOOOOOOOOONNNNN' was quite a moment of the holiday. The breakdown is funky, and the whole thing is just really likeable and catchy. It's, again, not the most groundbreaking song, but in terms of looking at trends and creating something catchy and current, it does a pretty decent job. I've never seen the video before til now... that part definitely IS original :lol:

088. AJR ft. Louisa Johnson - Weak (Stay Strong Mix)
I had no idea who AJR were when I first heard this on my Spotify. Actually, I still don't, but I was keen to hear more from Louisa Johnson, who we haven't had a great deal from since she's been an active artist for two years now. The original of the song reminds me quite a bit of the band fun. but I think Louisa really helps differ and elevate them from that. Her voice really sounds stunning in falsetto in the bridges and is a great juxtaposition to the lower register of the male singers voice. This is a solid midtempo bop and it's good to hear Louisa exploring some different avenues.

087. James Arthur - Safe Inside
I've been a fan of James since his time on the X Factor, and charted songs like Get Down from his first album, but I definitely did not forsee a successful comeback for him after his behaviour. Say You Won't Let Go did him an absolute miracle to be honest, but thankfully one of (in my opinion) the most talented XF winners ever has backed it up with a really solid set of singles. This song has just a brilliant melody in it's chorus and is such a builder.. it's so full and anthemic by the last chorus, almost like Coldplay playing their last track of a set at Wembley and the pyrotechnics have gone off and it's the moment the sound really fills the space. I love that about it.

086. ZAYN ft. Sia - Dusk Til Dawn
Well this song did not sound even a little bit like I expected... but I am a big fan! Zayn has left me very divided with his material to be honest... songs like Pillowtalk, Cruel and Like I Would I have found brilliant, others like It's You, Still Got Time and the Taylor duet I think are disastrous. I like that he has gone back to a bit of a more mainstream sound with this, it's still got a Sia edge to it but it's not as 'alternative' as Zayn has been trying for with previous efforts. I think it makes a nice break for him to return to that. The moment the chorus hits in is my favourite and the layering of their vocals makes it feel quite full. The post-chorus 'baby I'ma right hereeeeeeeeee' rollercoaster of notes is a highlight too. The song makes me feel quite warm!

085. Steps - Story Of A Heart
Steps fans were very excited when they heard this was going to be covered for the reunion album. Having not heard it, I didn't have the same sense of excitement but now I understand why. Written by 1/4 of ABBA, it is very Steps and very lovely indeed. Complete cheese but with a real touch of class too. It's not my absolute fave Steps sub-genre, but more than ever it's a telling of a story (lucky, really), almost as if from a musical. If they ever do a Steps one, this is prime for a big slot in the show.
What I love most about is are the harmonies when the chorus is broken down later on in the song. They sound absolutely divine, very ABBA, very dramatic, I love it. The team behind Steps have really done a superb job of collating new material and suitable but rate covers for the group to do and have handled the whole comeback exquisitely.

084. Fickle Friends - Hard To Be Myself
One of my favourite discoveries of this year has been Fickle Friends. This latest release of theirs doesn't rank amongst their best for me but is still undeniably catchy and fun. I particularly like the verses on it, I do however find the chorus a little basic. However overall I am definitely here for the bands bright, upbeat, palm tree aesthetic and after hearing a few more of their singles I am very excited for their debut album next year. I also travelled well outside of my home city to see them on tour (on my own) and they were definitely worth it. So groovy. If I heard this out I would still absolutely lose my shit, I just don't find it as incredible as their previous tracks.

083. Zara Larsson - Only You (KREAM Remix)
Zara and her team, conversely to Steps, have made a little bit of a pigs ear of their album campaign and the singles that followed the success of Symphony did nothing here in the UK and weren't the ones fans predicted or wanted. However, I have always liked Only You from the album and this remix breathed some real life into it. It's an anthem basically about only one person being able to touch you in the way you... touch yourself. So many songs have generic and unnecessary instrumental breakdowns but somehow this song really benefits from it. The extra speed and the new production touches do the song such a service, too. With a couple of strings in there, it could be another hit Clean Bandit collab. Big chorus, top breakdown, wish this version could have been serviced to radio and made it a hit! In fact I find the original really bizarre to hear now!

082. Nothing But Thieves - Amsterdam
This song reminds me of one I charted last year, Wolf Alice's 'Moaning Lisa Smile' in that I heard it a lot on the radio and I know I really enjoyed it but when I came to review it, I could only remember one specific moment. This is similar in that the chorus is SO memorable and so good, one of the best moments in indie/alternative music this year for me, but I wouldn't be able to sing you the verses if you offered me a free holiday to Amsterdam itself! Listening now, they are perfectly nice and serviceable but it's the chorus that really pops and that I will remember this song for. The 'over and over and over and over agaaaaain' refrain is so cool and catchy. Definitely a band I would like to catch live at some point.. even if I'll only be singing part of their songs ;)

081. Ed Sheeran - Perfect
Last up for today is the latest Ed Sheeran single and the favourite for this year's Christmas No.1. Notice it's not with Andrea Bocelli.. and neither is it with Beyonce... the best version of the song for me is the solo one, for sure. When I first got the album I did feel like this was a pretty cheap attempt to just write another wedding song ala 'Thinking Out Loud' only not as good. But as I have lived with the album I do think there is a lot of promise in this song, and for me it's mainly in the second verse, which is why I don't prefer the Beyonce version as this takes it away from him. People do far too much with Ed and his success means that people in the bubbles I am in really don't give him credits for his vocals which are nearly always superb and this is no exception. The passion and strength with which he sings 'dancing in the dark' is enviable. I do think he has done many more unique, exciting, original songs that don't use his previous work as a template but this is still a beautiful song with some breathtaking vocals. My friends also used it for a wedding I attended in Bali... so I can't deny it works!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:49 pm

You can stuff Ed up your arse.

Love Martin and ALMA, AJR and Louisa and Steps. Although Story Of A Heart is probably my least favourite of the four singles.
Thriller

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:05 pm

'Slide' is an amazing song, who knew that Calvin Harris and Frank Ocean would be such a graet mix. Actually it gave me something that Frank's second album didn't provide, a bit of a fun melody!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:19 pm

"Dusk Till Dawn" is lovely, even if Zayn thought it necessary to add the extra "l". I wasn't sold on the song early on, but the big chorus won me over eventually.

The Steps song paled in comparison to "Scared of the Dark". It's decent, though.

I agree 100% that the solo version of "Perfect" is the best! When I listened to his most recent LP, "Perfect" was my initial favourite.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:01 am

Ricki-Lee's song is cute :).

085. Steps - Story Of A Heart - Stand out song for me in this batch, rest a bit forgettable.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby luckyONE » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:45 pm

"Perfect" is so good. Probably my favorite song by Ed Sheeran.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JimJim » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Yassssss!!! at Ricki-Lee and Steps <3

'Perfect' is a bit blah for me.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Blondini » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Predicted Lorde.

Lights Out and AJR / Louisa great.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Benjamin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Yay for ALMA, Iggy, ZAYN and Zara 8-)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:34 am

Thanks guys, glad you have all found at least one to like!

080. The Killers - The Man
Kicking off the latest batch is the lead single from the new Killers album, showcasing a new style for them, very rhythmic with disco influence no less! I thought it was all a bit messy at first to be honest but it was a live performance they did on The One Show (outside the building where I work) that turned me on to it. I had only popped out to the supermarket to get some supplies and there they were soundchecking, and I bopped! Now I am quite taken with the funk style on the catchy bridges and choruses. Not ultimate classic Killers but a definite welcome addition to a setlist.

079. Clean Bandit & Marina & The Diamonds - Disconnect
Due to clashes, I didn't go to see Clean Bandit at Glastonbury this year, as I had previously seen them (with my Mum who was desperate to go, she cool) and at the time thinking I would see them at Sziget (they pulled out). One big downside to that decision was not seeing Marina come out to premiere this song live on the day it was released. Though it wasn't a proper single, it did get more of a fanfare than a buzz instant brat so I've included it. It's atmospheric, ethereal and the verses and bridges are divine, in no small part thanks to Marinas ever gorgeous vocal. I do think the chorus is a bit of a letdown, just a repeat of the title with some oohs. But the rest of the song has made sure I have given it favourable repeat listens

078. Anne-Marie - Ciao Adios
Anne-Marie has had a great year since breaking from featured vocalist and becoming a star in her own right and, along with Rockabye, it was this song that cemented her place. It was definitely the right way to go, a memorable catchy pop record that was going to be an earworm. It remains very cute and I will always sing and dance along, but I have decided that I prefer AM when she places herself a bit left of centre and her tunes have a bit more depth to them. However as I say, very grateful to this easy listening pop hit for paving the way for me to hear those!

077. Two Door Cinema Club - Lavender
A second poll option falls - you will all know I am a huge TDCC fan but this, the fourth single from the album, does not hit the heights that many of their other singles have got to. It's good, very good, but my mind is kind of angry at it because the album had three or four other better single choices in my opinion.. not that the album was sprouting number one hit singles anyway, The latest album was very midtempo and this goes along with that, it's a bit more trippy and less melodic than others - the best most mainstream bit being the 'oh oh oh oh, I can feel it fading' post chorus breakdown. It's a very good tune, it's just not as good as the likes of Fever which could have carried on the interest in a disco tinged TDCC that Bad Decisuons gave them..

076. Robin Bengtsson - I Can't Go On
I'm not a massive Eurovisioner like many on here, but Sweden always do a very good job, don't they? I did watch a bit of it this year as I had an interest in how Lucie would get on for the UK. While I loved her attempt, this ended up being my favourite from the contest. It's effortless pop that straddles the line between unashamed and cool. He wasn't the best vocalist but on record it's really well produced and the vocal is better than it is live. I wish more male popstars from our country made pop like this.

075. Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan - There For You
Garrix seems to me to have been instrumental in slowing the tempo of the output of the dance industry. Certainly if you compare this to his original output it is a lot more subdued.. I do wonder what his gigs would be like now, when I went it was very upbeat and frenetic but his latest output hasn't been the same.. but I like it! I suspect Troye had a lot to do with this song, it's very much a song of his over Garrix backing, but I was actually quite heart warmed to see the pair work together and Garrix to put out a song where Troye explicitly sings to a boy. It's a grower and has been on my Spotify playlists steadily throughout the year.

074. Sigrid - Don't Kill My Vibe
A third poll option gone.. you guys have been good at knowing what won't be high as nobody voted for the three that have gone so far! Sigrid very much seems like an artist to watch, there is a lot of promise in this single. She is young, she has a great vocal and she clearly knows her way around and how to write a mature pop record. The second part of the chorus 'you think you're so important to me dont you' is real catchy. I like the mood of the whole thing, she reminds me a bit of a more pop Lorde, in that she seems quite intelligent for a young star.

073. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You
An exclusive here... have you heard this one? :lol: of course, it's been played to death and I'm sure if I had heard it for the first time two weeks ago it'd be far higher. But it's testament to the track I've heard it so much and I can still bear it. I was never a fan of Cheap Thrills so when the two were compared that didn't bother me, nor was I bored of the sound. I loved that it was so different for Ed, who would have guessed he would be getting us all rushing to the dancefloor? Some of it is a bit cringe, I think it's rubbish that two of his four singles from one album reference putting Van Morrison on a jukebox, but I can't deny this is still catchy as hell and went down a treat in his Glastonbury headline set.

072. Bakermat ft. Kiesza - Don't Want You Back
An artist I got to like more this year was Bakermat, who caught my attention when he released this Kiesza duet. Filled with glorious piano riffs and a pulsating beat, this really could have been a radio staple. Kiesza sings it really well and even manages to go an octave higher from verse one to verse two where she really belts it out. It's a really catchy dance production that I think many of UKMIX would enjoy, so I've included it below. I saw him at a very early hour at Sziget this year where he played this back to back with Teach Me.. it was a big six minutes!

071. Charli XCX - Boys
Charli has had a funny year, she's got critical acclaim for her mixtapes but they've been a bit much for me.. some of it great but some a racket. She did a lot of Number One Angel at Glastonbury and it raised a few eyebrows for the time of day it was... but I have loved when she steps aside from those and releases real singles. I adored After The Afterparty and when this came along it was much more up my street. It didn't quite ignite my passions in the same way but I think the idea is excellent, relatable and the execution was great, she sounds lovely, the video was ace and it keeps me ticking over nicely with the more mainstream releases I want from her. Also glad to see her keep charting every year, even if it is in the lower quarters.

STILL TO COME?
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image[/quote]
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Return to Year End Personal Charts