Adam's Top 100 of 2017! [SINGLES, ALBUMS & ARTISTS]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which is my No.1 song of 2017?

Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson - Symphony
15%
CNCO x Little Mix - Reggaeton Lento (Remix)
No votes
Everything Everything - Desire
8%
Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill
15%
Lorde - Green Light
23%
MK - 17
8%
Niall Horan - Slow Hands
15%
Paramore - Hard Times
8%
Royal Blood - Lights Out
No votes
Sigrid - Don't Kill My Vibe
No votes
Steps - Neon Blue
8%
Two Door CInema Club - Lavender
No votes

Total votes : 13

Postby Thriller » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Buzzing for the success of 17 by MK, a well deserved smash finally! I thought Piece Of Me was gonna be his best shot. I think the Blonde track is weak sadly. It put me off them.

Charlie Puth has had a good year. Wild Thoughts was a hot summer jam. I'm saving Breathe for the 2018 countdown.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Ah, I thought "Green Light" would take it. Still, it's her most pop single yet, with a fantastic music video and an indelible hook.

I'm surprised you like "Wild Thoughts" even more than I do! Interesting that "Find You" made it so high here. It is nice, though. It grew on me a bit, but it doesn't come near his "Champagne Problems" peak for me.
My Tribute to Janet Jackson: [25-21]

I would hope my legacy would be bringing smiles to faces. Happiness with my music.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:07 am

'Green Light' is just a perfect pop comeback for Lorde, it is so her but just a bigger version of it! 'Wild Thoughts' is so sexy and sassy, I love it so much!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 am

"I Miss You" is beautiful, should become a hit in 2018 on my personal charts.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 pm

010. Axwell ^ Ingrosso - More Than You Know
i love how simple and how bold this tune is. I have loved so much of the Swedish House Mafia output and they continue to make tunes that just make me want to rush to the dance floor. The whole song is catchy no doubt, but the chorus is absolutely star of the show. I don't have much to say about this tune other than that the motif of 'I just need to get it off my chest...' is one of my favourite pop melodies of the year, it's just so commanding and is a perfect singalong. Anthemic.

009. Martin Solveig ft. Ina Wroldsen - Places
What a dance anthem. And one that has stayed with me throughout the entirety of 2017, which is an incredible testament to how good it is as I really have heard it a number of times on many playlists. I love how it enters immediately with the line containing the title in it, it makes for a unique introduction. Ina's voice as ever is a joy over dance production (which is brilliant, gorgeous chords and those catchy distorted 'oohs'. I love the 'I could go anywhere' bridge, the melody, the stabs of the bigger production wishing to break through and the climax of the chorus, everything is just a perfect fit and more distorted vocals in the drop make for a really interesting listen. I like how the verses appear more straightforward and ballad like and the remainder of the song amps up the production value and provides variety.. it's like there could be a very beautiful acoustic ballad version and I'm here for that. But as this song is, complete bop!

008. Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean - Feels
Calvin Harris released some groovy stuff this year, not all of it to the usual mainstream standards you might expect from him, but this fused both the unique style of his new album with those previous mainstream qualities perfectly. Pharrell (who is not always palatable as a vocalist for me) sits perfectly over the bounce of the infectious bass and Katy delivers her best vocal and best melody of the year in this simple earworm chorus, the 'I know you ain't afraid to pop pills' line being really a great example of this. This track just washes over you, but at the same time completely keeps your attention, there's a subtle brilliance. Big Sean is my favourite rapper and he completely kills this. quite often I completely overlook a rap and just wait for it to be done, it adds nothing. Not the case here.. clever lines like 'do you like getting paid or getting paid attention?' really ignite my interest. Long write up short.. four big names come together, all contribute excellently, big big jam.

007. Steps - Scared of the Dark
Could a pop comeback have been planned anymore perfectly than Steps this year? Especially when you consider how tragic some comebacks into the music industry can be? An album with 100k sales, a No.1 itunes single (Steps... in 2017!) and a sell out multidate arena tour.. man. And I truly do believe it's down to this song and it's perfection in terms of being the right comeback single for them.. an update on their sound without removing them from what they were loved for. From the off it's a camp novelty affair, trying to emulate the likes of Clean Bandit with a 'classy' classical intro, but it's soon into typical Steps midtempo territory... but not for long. The chorus is a power-pop-punch and we are into a HUGE chorus dripping with ABBA influenced harmony and the most perfect melody. I really don't know how they could have played this any better. Yes it's cheesy but it's a masterclass in taking an act and updating it without alienating anyone or appearing false. Kudos to the Steps management and to Steps themselves for this complete stomper.

006. Fickle Friends - Glue
The jewel in the Fickle Friends crown (so far) and the song that really made me fall for them. It's a pop masterpiece, layered synths, smooth beautiful vocals that meet with a vocoder partway through, exciting melodies, it's got it all. I particularly love midway through the bridge where it really kicks in.. 'I guess we should get a room' as everything crashes in and the sound is fuller, before the beautiful 'oohs; of the chorus begin. It's just a gorgeous laidback pop tune with expert production. The second verse building up into the built up bridge again is another perfect pop moment and the lyrics are so relatable 'yeah I think I have a screw loose, I think you have a screw loose too'. I love the quieter middle 8 before it all kicks off again, it's all just heaven to the ears. The best way I properly get this song across to you is to MAKE YOU LISTEN BELOW!

STILL TO COME?
Image Image Image
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Carbon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Feels is a bop, need to check out the Martin Solveig track!
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:19 am

Glue's really good
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:56 am

Strong bunch, if you hadn't had Steps in the top 10 I'd have snubbed you at their summer gig :lol:

Places and Feels both anthems of summer '17 for me.

Glue is a nice track.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 am

king_oxymoron wrote:four big names come together, all contribute excellently, big big jam.
Succinctly put! :lol: "Feels" is the best thing Calvin has ever done, in my opinion.

I only know Steps through UKMix. I think it was Pete who introduced me to "Deeper Shade of Blue," my favourite Steps song, and with as many pop fans on the site, I somehow stumbled across six other songs from them (according to my LastFM data). From the limited sample I have, I'm inclined to agree that "Scared of the Dark" sounds very much like a 2017 update of their sound. I think all of their songs have a hint of ABBA influence, or at least the ones I can remember.

I would hope my legacy would be bringing smiles to faces. Happiness with my music.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:34 pm

018. Lorde - Green Light
014. Charlie Puth - How Long
013. Clean Bandit ft. Julia Michaels - I Miss You
011. Nick Jonas - Find You

Love that batch as these four songs were all kinda underrated last year, despite being really good. "I Miss You" is definitely my favorite one, it has become my second favorite Clean Bandit song ever, only behind one which is probably still to come on your list (and i'm crossing my fingers that it'll reach #1) 8-)

Strong tune, one of my highlights from 2017 as well :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby flopho » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:11 pm

096. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut To The Feeling
093. Anton Powers & Pixie Lott - Baby
071. Charli XCX - Boys
067. Lady Gaga - The Cure
057. Camila Cabello ft. Young Thug - Havana
046. Dua Lipa - Be The One
041. Dua Lipa - New Rules
040. Katy Perry ft. Skip Marley - Chained To The Rhythm
028. Saara - Superpowers
024. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
018. Lorde - Green Light

Good list with these being my favorites so far. Love the two Dua entries and especially cool to see Superpowers here, such a strong pop song!
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks guys, no snub necessary Michael!

005. Anne-Marie - Then
This was such a late entry for the chart this year, being released in December, but it hit me so hard I had to include it.. and high. This is to me Anne-Marie's most hard hitting, raw release yet, not to say I don't like her more generic, chill cuts like Ciao Adios, I just think I am here for her deeper material more. I really love the melody of the production, the bloops that lead the track through, and adore her vulnerable vocal over the top as she sings 'we had it good, you know'. Lots of the lyric and vocal is really hard hitting to me. I love in the second verse her tone of voice as she sings 'you act this big man' (my fave part) and continues 'and you think you are in control but you don't know shit, you know'. The bridge gets a bit quicker in terms of delivery and is catchy and the chorus each time brings with it a heavier beat and amplifies the atmosphere of things. I just love it, the vocal is so anguished and I can't tell you how many times I have lipsynced to this in the mirror, Haha. It just transports and moves me, a really believable and beautiful mid tempo.

004. Nick Jonas ft. Anne-Marie & Mike Posner - Remember I Told You
And here she is again, only this time she's in much finer spirits, and it's not her song. It's been an amazing year for me for both Anne and Nick and I love that the are here together on this complete banger. I also enjoyed his collab with Mike Posner on his debut solo album so I'm not mad he's here either, though it's the other two that sell it to me more. This is so different for him, it's got a very Disclosure vibe about it, very cool pop music but still completely accessible. The lyrics are very relatable, I don't suppose you have a moment to spare me do you?, and catchy and once again we are treated to an incredible catchy bridge, second time around with both Nick and Anne who's voices are lovely together. This tune is slick, it's sexy, it's cool, it's got great groove and vibe, and it felt like a risk for someone like Jonas. For me it really paid off, and damn he looks fine in the video. If you're looking for a party track that's a hell of a lot of fun, you can't go far wrong here,

STILL TO COME?
Image Image Image
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:38 pm

No I can't really get on board with either of those much I'm sorry!
Thriller

Postby UKMusicLova » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:51 am

Ok you Anne-Marie stan. 'Then' is cute, but I don't see it as a great single release for her. The Nick Jonas one again I like, but never was really into it...like I don't actually remember what it sounds like anymore!

I really like 'Places' and totally forgot about it when I was doing my ranking!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:11 pm

yes for so much Anne-Marie. Hope she becomes huge (finally) or at least Releases Album in 2018 :D
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 pm

"Remember I Told You" is so bland. I actually prefer "Find You".

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Negative Nancy's - hope you like the top 3 more! (I actually don't think Then is a great single either Carly, but it's an amazing SONG, for me)

003. Charlie Puth - Attention
One of the most pleasant surprises in music 2017 was Charlie Puth's pop ascension. As already noted, I have always liked him, but he was better known for a more delicate, swoony sound. When he arrived with this funk laden, bass heavy pop stormer, I was floored from the first listen. The song is a complete builder, the initial choruses quiet and not heavily backed, but the final chorus sung in belt with a real air of desperation. I actually think this would be a perfect Lip sync For Your Life song owing to the change in mood from start to finish. It gives great middle 8, despite how simple it is (the tone does the talking) and great ad lib, and the production is just superb. For me, this is what male pop should sound like in 2017 and beyond.. mature, classy, catchy and FUNKY.

002. Paramore - Hard Times
At 2 is the song that was due to be my number one all year long. Until I really did comparison, I just assumed it would be. It was all the things I like in my music and i was cool too, and I sometimes want to look cool, so it would suit being number one. My mind changed on that, but more on that later.
If this HAD been my number one, it would still have been very deserving, and here's why.
It's a massive switch up in style for one of my favourite bands, it's not like Still Into You, a pop slant on their existing style, this album felt like a complete repositioning of what Paramore do, or at least are doing right now. Thank god they moved to an area I still love them in, a very 80s-esque synth driven pop sound, I adore the production on it, quite often for me a song really starts when the first vocal comes in, but this is one of those where I am captivated by the sound and musicianship before that even happens. Hayley's vocals are impeccable as ever, but the newfound production steals the show here, dripping over a catchy chorus and becoming a beautiful all encompassing sound as the song nears its climax 'makes you wonder why you even try'. There's also a beautiful juxtaposition between lyric and sound, it's happy, it's clappy... but it's dark.
Paramore recently opened their o2 gig with this song followed by Ignorance followed by Still Into You. I don't know that I'll ever see a concert with a better opening sequence again in my life. What a banger.

001. Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson - Symphony
This song was always going to be high in my chart, top 3 I thought all year, top 3. But I thought Paramore was the cool one, it had the edge.
It was only when I was relistening to the songs together that I thought 'hey, what does it even matter if this isn't as cool, it's PERFECT' and for that reason it had to be number one,

I genuinely think this song is perfection and certainly the best thing they've ever released, which isn't an easy feat as I have liked pretty much all their output. Zara is the perfect voice for this, too. The opening tinkering of the piano and strings is just completely stunning and Zara delivers an assured, restrained, mature vocal over the first verse. It's basically a gorgeous ballad, to begin with at least, but how it is about to evolve.

I've spoken of production on all three of these songs but here it definitely shines brightest, as its CB's forte. I don't know how to describe it but the production touch (almost like a double percussion crunch) between 'I never thought I'd find this feeling' and 'cause I've been hearing symphonies' is one of my favourite bits of production on the year, it's so small but it speaks to how the little touches can really improve a tune. It's also the moment that the song turns from ballad to stomper.

I love how each chorus comes with added background, building and building, the second chorus signalling 'actually this is a dance tune' and the final one being a massive blast and a complete letting go from all the subtleties that had refrained the song up to this point. It's just perfectly built and that final ascending scale of 'I just wanna be part of your SYMPHONY, with Zara finally letting her belt go, is heaven.

I saw CB this year with my Mum and she was losing her s to this tune, it's mainstream and it's universal but it's also special. To me every element of it is thought through and perfectly placed. It would be an excellent ballad, it'd be an excellent all out dance tune but the journey it takes to go from ballad, to huge anthem back to the final notes emulating the first, is perfect, what a journey, and what a number one for the year.

SORRY NOT THIS YEAR
Steps have had a superb 2017, don't get me wrong, but Neon Blue I never got like others did, should have stayed an album track.

I am sure they will be making further appearances though in my two remaining charts, album and artists of the year.. both will come in one whole whack apiece though you'll be pleased to hear!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:56 pm

002. Paramore - Hard Times
I still occasionally listen to this, it's interesting enough
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Great #1! Very well deserving!

Also really enjoy:
003. Charlie Puth - Attention
006. Fickle Friends - Glue
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:51 pm

That is a solid top 3. The last two Charlie singles have been great, better than Mendes. Paramore... I was so close thinking they'd be your #1! Great comeback for them.

Symphony is a masterpiece.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:15 pm

Eh, I don't even think "Attention" is Charlie Puth's best song. It'd have to get through "We Don't Talk Anymore" and "Marvin Gaye" first.

I probably need to revisit Paramore's 2017 material sometime in the future because I'm not hearing what you're hearing. :oops:

Your #1, however, is superb. It's classical-pop done expertly well. I agree that Zara was the perfect vocalist for the song, and even though you haven't mentioned the video, I have to say that the video ups the bid price of the song for me. Quality stuff all 'round, and a well-deserved #1.

Great countdown this year, Adam, as always! :D

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:27 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Eh, I don't even think "Attention" is Charlie Puth's best song. It'd have to get through "We Don't Talk Anymore" and "Marvin Gaye" first.

I probably need to revisit Paramore's 2017 material sometime in the future because I'm not hearing what you're hearing. :oops:

Your #1, however, is superb. It's classical-pop done expertly well. I agree that Zara was the perfect vocalist for the song, and even though you haven't mentioned the video, I have to say that the video ups the bid price of the song for me. Quality stuff all 'round, and a well-deserved #1.

Great countdown this year, Adam, as always! :D
Marvin Gaye?! Purlease!!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Top10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:39 pm

What a nice surprise to see Ricki-Lee in the countdown! Big like for Came Here For Love. MK's '17' is my favourite among all the entries.
The new entry on the Top 10 - you like it a lot. 23.05.2018.
Top10
Groupie

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks all..

Onto albums!

I have to say, this years albums was not a quality fest for me, no one album stood out as WOW, this HAS to be number one this year, and overall I found the quality of all the albums nice but not exceptional. Still, I've picked out 15 and here they are.

015. Anastacia - Evolution
Best songs: Caught In The Middle, Boxer
Only listened a few times, didn't find it extraordinary like her first Sprock era, but pleasant enough indeed.

014. Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?
Best songs: I Only Lie When I Love You, Hook Line & Sinker
More of the same of the (brilliant) first album, a tad disappointing in that respect, but also, full of hook.

013. John Mayer - The Search For Everything
Best songs: In The Blood, Love On The Weekend, Changing
Not the most exciting of his albums for me, a few really nice easy listening tunes but didn't grab my imagination like some of his former genius.

012. Niall Horan - Flicker
Best songs: On The Loose, Seeing Blind, Too Much To Ask
An album of halfs... half exciting and bold, half a bit safe and nice. Not a bad debut though.

011. Maroon 5 - Red Pill Blues
Best songs: Lips On You, Help Me Out, Closure
Not at all cohesive, but with plenty of decent tunes. Not the Maroon 5 we once knew, but still able to write a hit.

010. Lorde - Melodrama
Best songs: Green Light, Homemade Dynamite, Liability
I know some people find this a masterpiece, maybe I need to listen harder. Certainly a decent number of songs on here which are epic and draw you in.

009. Una Healy - The Waiting Game
Best songs: Battlelines, SOS, Alarm Bells
Similar to her wee Irish pal Niall, half and half, a couple are dull but this was MUCH more up my alley than I expected. Lots more upbeat at times too, very melodic. A decent pop-country crossover.

008. Dua Lipa - Dua Lipa
Best songs: Last Dance, Hotter Than Hell, New Rules
The material beyond the singles is weaker, but the singles are plentiful and GREAT. A decent album overall.

007. Zara Larsson - So Good
Best songs: So Good, Lush Life, One Mississippi
Similarly, the singles are mostly the best thing here, however some more of the non singles stood out to me a little more. It just wasn't as good as she suggested it might be with the brilliant singles.

006. Ed Sheeran - Divide
Best songs: Dive, New Man, Supermarket Flowers
This is absolutely his most calculated album yet, I feel like certain songs are made as a template to recreate his older material. That being said, I do still like lots of it. It's just not been able to replicate the magic quite as honestly.

005. Steps - Tears On The Dancefloor
Best songs: Scared of the Dark, Glitter & Gold, You Make Me Whole, Happy, Firefly
Could this have been more well executed? Lots of covers, but not ones the public were aware of. A real masterclass in comeback, so much pop goodness here, but bringing them into 2017.

004. Matt Terry - Trouble
Best songs: Got You, Try, Weigh Me Down, Original, Trouble
THE. SHOCK. OF. 2017. This album is full of modern, relevant bops and you are doing your self a disservice sleeping on it!! I really didn't think he would go down a route with hardly any ballads, but the likes of Try and Got You - if Rita Ora was releasing these, you'd all be going cray!

003. Demi Lovato - Tell Me You Love Me
Best songs: You Don't Do It For Me Anymore, Ruin The Friendship, Daddy Issues, Cry Baby, Tell Me You Love Me
Another shock but less of one. Demi serves up the album she wanted to in terms of getting a Grammy Vocal nod (did he miss the cut off, or snubbed?) and showed a real maturity and ability to sell hits that might not be as immediately appealing.

002. Paramore - After Laughter
Best songs: Hard Times, Rose Colored Boy, Told You So, Idle Worship, Tell Me How
A complete switch in style to upbeat but synthy and 80s and it worked wonders, amazing production, some hints of Paramore of old. Not a classic by their standards but plenty of good here!

001. Kelly Clarkson - Meaning of Life
Best songs: Meaning Of Life, Medicine, Would You Call That Love, Slow Dance, Go High
I didn't think I would have this as album of the year but here we are. I fail to fault much of it, besides the boring Move You. Like Demi, it's a new style that shows both vocal and material growth and she sells so many midtempo songs that aren't flashy. It's just got such class and maturity.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:31 am

OMG Adam, how have I not downloaded this 'More Than You Know' song? It's a banger! I swear I've heard it in passing, but I never really noticed it because it missed the top 40 here. Just downloaded it now, the woman in the video is captivating.

LOL @ Neon Blue, I totally agree,
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Return to Year End Personal Charts