Thriller's Top 60 of 2017 [Complete]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which song will be #1?

Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
No votes
Dua Lipa - New Rules
7%
Calvin Harris - Feels (ft. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean)
No votes
MK - 17
7%
Rita Ora - Anywhere
14%
Lorde - Green Light
7%
Steps - Scared Of The Dark
7%
Martin Solveig - Places (ft. Ina Wroldsen)
36%
Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You
7%
BETSY - Waiting
14%

Total votes : 14

Postby king_oxymoron » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:13 am

Will this be done this year?

That said, keep it coming ;) I think you're the only other person I've seen including JHud, it really was a great track. Obviously I adore Symphony, pleased to see I so high. A little over Chasing Highs but it is still a top pop tune.

I really like Lost In Your Light, doesn't deserve the hate, and Real Life is a tune too. Good set.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:01 am

Might finish it by the end of Feb.
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:27 pm

the JHUD song is blah, but Symphony is cool
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Faridah Seriki, known professionally as Kah-Lo, is a Nigerian singer-songwriter.
This is a super bop, like one of most infectious bops of the past few years. Kah-Lo's lazy delivery is so distinctive, the song almost samples Inner City's Good Life and is produced by her usual collaborator Riton. Shame this never picked up airplay as I think it would've fit in so well on Radio 1 and been a sleeper hit like MK's 17.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Kasabian are an English rock band formed in Leicester in 1997.
For a band who've been releasing music for almost 15 years, it's great to hear Kasabian still releasing fantastic music that isn't compromising their identity. Sticking to their usual festival-friendly formula, the lead from their new album was a bouncy, rowdy and fun track that is up there with their best for me.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:27 pm

Rita Sahatçiu Ora is an English singer and actress.
I've dissed Rita for a fair few years, I think between her debut album and 2017 she's released some sub-par music and traded on her celebrity for too long. Your Song I hated at first (like it now) but this was the first moment since maybe Radioactive where I sat up and took immediate notice - just a well-crafted, catchy pop song backed by some solid performances.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:31 pm

The Killers are an American rock band formed in Las Vegas, Nevada, in 2001.
For a while now The Killers had verged on Grandad rock and I thought their best was firmly behind them but it seems Brandon's solo career massively influenced their new material and The Man is up there as one of their top songs for me. Pretty much a motivational speech within an 80s pop/rock song, it's full of swagger, attitude and hooks.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:33 pm

Paloma Faith is an English singer, songwriter, and actress.
I've always loved Paloma and have so much goodwill towards her as an artist as she is constantly releasing strong music and this was no exception. A new sound for her, combining subtle disco and R&B influences with pop and soul, Crybaby reminded me Simply Red at their best and is probably the most radio-friendly thing she's done without compromising her artistry.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:43 am

Dua Lipa is an English singer, songwriter, and model.
The song that propelled her to international fame and became the pop moment of 2017, everything just worked. The lyrics spoke to many young women, the summery and cool video looked like actual effort had been put into it and harked back to the early 00s and the bridge is one of the catchiest in pop history.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:45 am

Marc Kinchen, known by his stage name MK, is an American DJ, record producer and remixer.
As a long time MK fan I've always wanted him to have more success in his own name and after Piece Of Me almost broke through but My Love 4 U flopped I thought that was that. However, along came 17 with a typically repetitive structure and vocal but there was just something unique about it that made it ultra radio-friendly and an end of year smash.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:48 am

Martin Picandet, better known by his stage name Martin Solveig, is a French DJ, singer, songwriter and record producer.
To another dance moment of the year now, Martin Solveig's past endeavours had usually been on the more electro side of dance whereas Places was a more subtle, pop-influenced track thanks to Ina Wroldsen's gorgeous vocal and fantastic songwriting abilities. It was an ideal soundtrack to the summer and a great one to sing along to.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 am

Any guesses on the top 2 for anyone who's still here?
Thriller

Postby flopho » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Symphony is great, definitely one of the catchiest hooks of last year
Chasing Highs is cute, but Dye My Hair and Karma are superior imo
Fasta is an amazing bop and one of my favorite discoveries ever from the FSC, will most likely be very high on my 2018 year-end list
Usually here for Rita but can't get into Anywhere at all, same thing goes for Crybaby to be honest
New Rules is another very strong track by Dua plus it was nice to see how it revived the era.
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:34 am

Timucin Lam, known professionally as Jax Jones, is an English DJ, record producer, singer, songwriter and remixer.
So Jax Jones spent a while bubbling under the surface since his hand in the #1 I Got U with Duke Dumont, but from the first time I heard the opening thirty seconds of this banger I knew it would be his breakthrough in early 2017 - despite being released at the end of 2016, I saved it for this year as the impact was coming! Sampling the bassline from M.A.N.D.Y. vs Booka Shade's Body Language, it's an insanely catchy throwback to mid-90s dance with a unique vocal delivery from RAYE. Easily one of the best dance tracks of the decade!
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:39 am

Steps are a British dance-pop group consisting of Lee Latchford-Evans, Claire Richards, Lisa Scott-Lee, Faye Tozer and Ian "H" Watkins.
The comeback to end all comebacks was staged, and perfectly executed, in 2017 - whoever would've thought Steps would be responsible? Not since Take That eleven years earlier have we seen a 90s act romp back into the pop landscape and achieve it without jumping on current trends! Scared Of The Dark could not have been anymore perfect... dramatic strings, a slow and steady build up to a stomping ABBA-esque chorus, a key change and Lisa Scott-Lee getting her own verse. 20 years later and they went and created a moment that instantly became as classic Steps as any of their old hits.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:41 am

Well done to the one person who guessed correctly. Next year I'll try and finish this before February :lol:
Thriller

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:08 am

"Anywhere" and "New Rules" are pop gems, glad they made your Top10!

Also very happy to see "Symphony" being so high. Brilliant tune <3
Tansike
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts