Jim's Best of 2017 Countdown: #1

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:56 am

Yay for 'Despacito' and 'Reggaeton Lentooooooo' 8-) 8-)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:45 am

KATY PERRY SWISH SWISH FT NICKI MINAJ

A messy release and poor timing with her popularity meant 'Swish Swish' never quite became what it could have been. As far as diss tracks go, this one is pretty fire. The production here is top notch, as Katy whispers over a deep beat and Nicki delivers a decent, albeit non-sense rap verse. I'll be honest, I never watched the music video as everyone here said it was so bad. It's interesting though, as the single definitely wasn't a hit, but the music video has 365 million views at the time of writing, which is massive.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:53 am

CLEAN BANDIT & MARINA DISCONNECT

Clean Bandit had a great 2017, with back-to-back hits in the way of 'Rockabye' (late 2016-early 2017) and 'Symphony'. What happened next was bizarre, they dropped this amazing song with Marina, but declared it was a just a fan release, then their era just fizzled out from there. The song is not only one of Clean Bandit's best tracks, it's also one of Marina's best tracks, with her vocals yearning and sweeter than usual.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:58 am

HUNTER HAYES MORE

Hunter Hayes' career has stumbled a fair bit in the US, where he was once a prominent new talent. I only really came across this track, after Shane posted the previous single in the Pop section a few months ago. 'More' is inoffensive country-pop with sweet lyrics and a big chorus, perfect for a drive down the highway in the sun.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:02 am

SHEPPARD KEEP ME CRAZY

Sheppard are a great Australian live act, although they have mixed chart success. 'Keep Me Crazy' is the pick of their 2017 singles and the closest they have come to recapturing the magic that turned 'Geronimo' into an international hit. The song is brimming with energy, driven by strong percussion throughout and the usual chants we've come to expect from the family band.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:06 am

ALAN WALKER ALL FALLS DOWN FT NOAH CYRUS & DIGITAL FARM ANIMALS

Hallelujah! Alan Walker finally got different vocalists and slightly changed his sound for a single! This is not only Alan Walker's best song since 'Faded', I also think it's the best Noah Cyrus has put out to date. Digital Farm Animals sound so much like James Arthur on this track, it's uncanny. I love how the song starts with the stripped-down first verse, before it turns into the more typical electro-pop we'd anticipate from Alan Walker.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:16 am

JESSICA MAUBOY THEN I MET YOU

A new season of the TV series 'The Secret Daughter' meant we were yet again be gifted with a new soundtrack from Australia's sweetheart, Jessica Mauboy. The soundtrack is comprised mainly of covers (although they are very good covers) and just a couple of original singles. 'Then I Met You' was the second single from the soundtrack and shows a pop-star going from strength-to-strength. I'm kinda glad Jess has recently ditched the more generic party songs (like 'Pop a Bottle') for these MOR pop songs. 'Then I Met You' is joyous and wholesome, representing good growth from one of our best vocalists.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Benjamin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 am

'Swish Swish' is that tune. Should've been a huge hit for her.
I looooove 'Disconnect'. Probably my favourite thing Clean Bandit has ever done. Marina <3
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:00 am

Sheppard is a good band, "Keep Me Crazy'' is catchy, but maybe a little bit generic. However, I love the vocals
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:56 am

I like the Jessica Mauboy track, but I wish she would just release a proper popstar album again! :lol:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby ludichris » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:59 am

CLEAN BANDIT & MARINA DISCONNECT
Agree completely with your comments on this one. Spectacular song! I revisit it frequently.
ludichris
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Clean Bandit's era certainly hasn't fizzled out at home, I Miss You is doing well here! But I do love Disconnect and wish it got a full release
Scared of the Dark was an astonishing comeback for Steps, agreed that Louisa adds something big to the AJR track, and love Little Mix

Swish Swish not for me..
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Thriller » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Good to see Steps on another chart! Swish Swish was handled so badly but it turned into a low-key UK hit in the end so all was not lost.

Disappointed in the way Clean Bandit treated Disconnect yet released that average Julia Michaels one.
Thriller

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

STEPS DANCING WITH A BROKEN HEART
STEPS SCARED OF THE DARK

Great 2 songs! I really loved that Steps has come back, and I hope it wasn't just a once off :(

RICKY MARTIN VENTE PA' CA FT DELTA GOODREM

I completely forgot about this..... I'm not sure how I feel as to mee Delta doesn't scream being able to pull off this kind of song. So when I listen to it, I'm always on the fence.

ZEDD & LIAM PAYNE GET LOW

Everyone knows how I feel about daddy Liam. Him and Zedd on this song is pop perf.

MAROON 5 WHAT LOVERS DO FT SZA

LOVE THIS! Glad to see it make the list.

SHEPPARD KEEP ME CRAZY

Gosh, I really really enjoy nearly everything Sheppard release and this is no different.
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
Hottest Single All Stars, in the game section.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:23 pm

Summer :lol:

As per usual, thanks for all the comments guys, I hope you're enjoying the countdown :D Let's continue...

KYGO & SELENA GOMEZ IT AIN'T ME

Kygo somehow has landed lots of big names on his debut and follow-up albums, the choice of which for 2017 was Selena Gomez. This collaboration turned into a deservedly huge hit for the pair. 'It Ain't Me' shows Kygo really knows how to work with Selena's saccharine, but meek vocals. The verses are stripped back and allow the song to build successively through the layered chorus and ultimately the vocal-chopped beat-drop. The strong use of piano throughout gives the song a good crossover appeal that lands it somewhere between a club dancefloor and lazing on the couch on a Sunday.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:31 pm

TAYLOR SWIFT LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO

Taylor Swift is an evergreen in pop music, some may say this more "harsh" pop music doesn't suit her, but she is still very good at it. Taylor is a highly-skilled songwriter, who swings with intention every time, whilst Jack Antonoff is an exceptional producer at the top of his game. 'Look What You Made Me Do' could probably be thrown in a time capsule to represent the current affairs of 2017, a real TMZ special. A pop moment like this deserves a suitably lavish music video and boy did it deliver on that. The song opens with fairy-tale like instrumentation, which quickly devolves into a dark bass-heavy landscape, matching the tone of the lyrics. Overall, whilst it's not Taylor's greatest single of all-time, it's top notch pop.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:39 pm

ZEDD & ALESSIA CARA STAY

Alessia Cara on a dance track was perhaps one of the more unexpected collaborations of 2017. How did it come about? In an interview they said they wish there was a better story, but the label actually put them together on this project. Not since Gwen Stefani's 'What You Waiting For' has the tick-tock of a clock been used to such good effect. The song is expertly constructed, there's so many fine little details to the production that make this work so well.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:44 pm

KATY PERRY CHAINED TO THE RHYTHM FT SKIP MARLEY

Katy Perry may not have had the best year in 2017, but it did start out promising back in February. 'Chained to the Rhythm' was quote "purposeful pop" and really that is true. Few songs really took a dig at the political and social landscape like this seemingly harmless pop song did. This was really hammered in by the video, which was truly excellent. I guess it's kinda funny that the ever-fueding Taylor Swift and Katy Perry would deliver the best videos of 2017, although not similar in content at all. This track is probably the first and final time we'll hear from Skip Marley, but it's one of the best rap verses included in a pop song in 2017=.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 pm

RITA ORA ANYWHERE

Rita Ora's 2017 comeback has been somewhat under-publicised, I legit thought this girls pop career was OVER. After two gems in 'Your Song' and 'Lonely Together', she dropped the best of the pack in 'Anywhere'. This is one of those songs that just sounded like a smash from the first listen, it's like the cousin of Kygo's 'It Ain't Me'. The song has this dream-like sound, with this bittersweet sense of longing. For those who missed it, she recently revealed what the lyrics are actually meant to be during the beat-drop where the vocals are chopped up:

"Oh, wanna go home, wanna go take me anywhere you wanna be-ee-ee-ee""
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:47 am

JESSICA MAUBOY FALLIN'

'Fallin' was a somewhat surprise hit for Jessica Mauboy in 2017, spending 17 weeks in the top 50, it was her biggest hit in 3-4 years. The track is stripped back, earnest and her vocals absolutely shine. This is perhaps the most "timeless" single she has released to date and it looks like it'll continue to be a favourite of AC radio for a while.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:53 am

HARRY STYLES SIGN OF THE TIMES

It wasn't too surprising that we got something a little bit more "artistic" or "classic" from Harry when he dropped his first solo material. 'Sign of the Times' is straight-up classic rock, taking advantage of his status to get radio to play a nearly 6 minute long song in 2017. The song itself is well crafted and progressive, leading to quite the climax in the last minute or so of the track. Honestly, there are songs below this in the countdown that I perhaps enjoyed more during the year, but I think this one will have a more timeless appeal compared to some of the other pop hits here.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 am

CARLY RAE JEPSEN CUT TO THE FEELING

CRJ is the low-key princess of pop. If the 'Emotion' era wasn't enough, she then dropped the B-sides... then she also had this one leftover! Makes you wonder what else is sitting on a computer somewhere unreleased. 'Cut to the Feeling' was released as a soundtrack single and also used for the re-release of the Emotion B-sides album. The song is a burst of pop energy, with the 80s sound Carly has come to perfect over the last three years. Unfortunately this song didn't really trouble the charts, although I do recall it making it to #21 on US iTunes and apparently it was a top twenty hit in Japan.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:34 am

IMAGINE DRAGONS THUNDER

Aside from Rita Ora, one of the other big comeback stories of 2017 was Imagine Dragons. The pop-rock band hadn't really troubled the charts in some time, their last Australian hit prior was 'Demons' in late 2013, unless you count that Suicide Squad collaboration from 2016. Whilst 'Believer' revived them in the US, 'Thunder' reigned on the Aussie charts. The track entered the top 40 back in June 2017 and at the time of writing, is still sitting in the top 25, an enormous hit. What makes it so good? I'm not entirely sure, the chorus is so damn simple and the verses are little more than a vocal with some fingerclicks, however it's somewhat anthemic. It's one of those songs that'll probably get played at sports matches for years to come.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Benjamin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 am

Katy, Rita, Harry and Carly :) great tracks!
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Good bunch! I like pretty much all of them, though I wasn't sold in Harry, Rita is my favourite of the bunch, she came from nowhere this year with a trio of smashes.. this one the best.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Return to Year End Personal Charts