#29 KYGO & SELENA GOMEZ IT AIN'T ME
#28 TAYLOR SWIFT LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO
#27 ZEDD & ALESSIA CARA STAY
#26 KATY PERRY CHAINED TO THE RHYTHM FT SKIP MARLEY
#25 RITA ORA ANYWHERE

#23 HARRY STYLES SIGN OF THE TIMES
#22 CARLY RAE JEPSEN CUT TO THE FEELING
#21 IMAGINE DRAGONS THUNDER

Some amazing tunes here! The bolded ones are top notch and some of my faves in 2017 as well.
Very glad to see the underrated "All Falls Down", also my second most favorite release by Alan Walker (behind "Faded", obviously).
Tansike
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:54 pm

JimJim wrote:Summer :lol:
Yes JimJim? :lol: :lol:

IMAGINE DRAGONS THUNDER - 10/10 Song. I don't even really know who they are, or what they do, but I really enjoy this song. No idea what it is about either.

CARLY RAE JEPSEN CUT TO THE FEELING - 10/10 strikes again. Carly churning out pop gems that nobody cares about.

KATY PERRY CHAINED TO THE RHYTHM FT SKIP MARLEY - Katy killed it with this song. One of her FINEST. Shame she didn't know where to take this new direction.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:58 am

BLOODPOP® & JUSTIN BIEBER FRIENDS

This is the best track Justin has released since 'Sorry' and I know some people think the track is somewhat similar to that previous hit, which makes sense as BloodPop was involved in both. The main hook is fairly simple ("can we... still be... friends?"), what really sells it is the production. There's a lot of little subtleties that make this song sound as wonderfully atmospheric as it is, from the usual backing vocals to an array of vocal effects that happen throughout ("uh huh").
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:05 am

NIALL HORAN SLOW HANDS

When you think of the boys of 1D and you think of sexy, Niall is probably not the one that came to mind. That didn't stop him from releasing this absolute jam of a track and smashing in 2017. 'Slow Hands' is a relatively simple guitar-driven track that really shines in its delivery of the lyrics and melody. It reminds me of when those late 80s hairbands suddenly released guitar ballads, like Extreme's 'More Than Words'.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:10 am

FIFTH HARMONY CAN YOU SEE

Let's be honest, Fifth Harmony's latest album kinda sucked. So it took an unrelated release to redeem them in 2017 and that came from The Star soundtrack. Whilst I don't really care for the religious theme of the song, it's just a really good cheesy pop ballad. The progression is such a good pay-off in this one, as the last minute is awesome.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:13 am

DUA LIPA NEW RULES

I'd been a big fan of Dua since the Be The One/New Love days, but by the time her much-much delayed album finally dropped, I was a bit exhausted from all the single releases. However, there was a song on the album that everyone was raving about and for good reason. 'New Rules' smashed any suggestion that Dua could be considered a one-hit wonder. The song outlines three "rules" which are honestly great advice for any young woman with an ex in 2017-18:
1. Don't pick up the phone, you know he's only calling because he's drunk alone
2. Don't let him in, you'll have to kick him out again
3. Don't be his friend, you're only gonna wake up in his bed in the morning... and if you're under him, you ain't gettin' over him

Top this iconic chorus off with one of the best music videos of the year and the rest is pop history.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Benjamin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 am

'Slow Hands' is nice, but only okay for me. 'New Rules' however, is a TUNE <3
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Thriller » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Good taste as expected Jim, Dua is nicely high.
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 pm

The Dua song is indeed iconic - especially among the gays!
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:23 pm

Whilst I don't really care for the religious theme of the song
Yeah, not here for religious FH.

DUA LIPA NEW RULES - It's a fine song, don't get the hype.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 pm

TAYLOR SWIFT ...READY FOR IT?

The best of the Taylor Swift 2017 singles is '...Ready For It?'. A hard-hitting electro-pop track, Taylor's flow is on the verses is so good and it somehow mixes in well to the more reserved tropical-pop chorus. Taylor has become the queen of quotable lyrics and the "...are you ready for it?" moment is another one to add to the pop lexicon. I think this track is a bit more accessible than 'Look What You Made Me Do', so I'm surprised it underperformed on the charts.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 pm

ANNE-MARIE CIAO ADIOS

I wasn't really checking for Anne-Marie in 2015-16, tracks like 'Alarm' were cute, but not much more. 'Ciao Adios' on the other hand is the best she has done to date. The magic of the track really lies in the lyrics, attitude and structure, I'm a sucker for songs where the lyrics change slightly throughout, but follow the same melody. Maybe that relates back to how much I like Max Martin and Taylor Swift tracks? Unfortunately the follow-up singles ('Heavy' and 'Then') went back to being average.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:04 am

LADY GAGA THE CURE

As much as 'Joanne' is a good album, lil monsters like me (and probably most gay guys) were thirsting for some proper pop from Gagz. A Coachella fill-in for Beyoncé provided her the perfect opportunity to premiere 'The Cure' and turn it into her "comeback" hit following the Superbowl. 'The Cure' scored Gaga her first top ten hit in Australia since 2011 and spent 14 weeks in the top 50. Whilst some have criticised it for being too "on trend", I think she delivered exceptionally for trends of the time (most notably the track has an edited vocal that is reminiscent is Bieber's 'Sorry'). The lyrics of the track are beautiful, especially if taken in the context of having lost her best friend Sonja to breast cancer recently at the time.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:12 am

CHEAT CODES NO PROMISES FT DEMI LOVATO

When this track first dropped in mid-2017, most UKMixers were not thrilled ("Boring and generic", "had to turn it off", "not doing anything for me as yet!"), however I was really into it! This then arguably became the biggest sleeper hit of the year, it didn't make the top ten in any major market, but stuck around for an eternity on the charts (23 weeks in the top 50 in Australia). The track has a wondrous sound about it and Demi was a good choice for the female vocal, even though she was everywhere in 2017. The chorus is infectious and I'm particularly in love with the "I just wanna dive in the water" part.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:19 am

MILEY CYRUS YOUNGER NOW

Yes indeed, my #11 is the song that potentially ruined Miley's career. 'Younger Now' hits me right in the nostalgia feels from those opening guitar chords. It's really just a beautiful song that belies her age, this is the song you'd expect someone to release at their career retirement as a reflection piece. It's a shame the public and music platforms weren't prepared to support such an eloquent song in 2017.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby heppolo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:23 am

and where is #13?)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:06 am

'Ciao Adios' is a tune! I love this one. Yay for 'The Cure' and 'Younger Now'.
#13 is missing indeed :wink:
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby ludichris » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:11 am

I feel Younger Now is one of Miley's best efforts. A pleasant reminder for anyone undergoing their own personal reinvention that yes you are doing the right thing.
ludichris
Manager

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Whoops! Thanks guys - here is #13

STEPS STORY OF A HEART

Oh, this is such a gem! When I first heard this I though "this is 100% ABBA", which I would later find out was no coincidence - in fact, I was a little disappointed to find out it was a cover. The vocals on this track are so beautiful and it's just a very wholesome track overall. As gorgeous as the song is, god their music videos are tragic, I CRINGE! :lol:
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:37 pm

CLEAN BANDIT SYMPHONY FT ZARA LARSSON

To start off my top ten of the year is the best single Clean Bandit or Zara Larsson have ever released. The vocals on this are truly glorious alongside the mix of electronic and classical instruments. It's like an explosion of colour when the chorus hits and it still gives me the feels after all this time. The music video is also worth mentioning, which is as much joyous as it is sad.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:35 am

Paloma Faith - Crybaby - Just heard this, pretty catchy.
Lorde - Green Light - Don't usually like her but this is quite nice.
Katy Perry - Swish Swish - 3-4 listens was enough of this, then it got annoying. :lol:
Taylor Swift - LWYMMD - Was good on first listen but got annoying relatively fast, it isn't bad though. I can only tolerate "Style" from her,I tend to find her songs grating and immature. :lol:
Katy Perry- Chained to The Rhythm - Good song, catchy.
Harry Styles - Sign of the Times - Not a bad song.
Lady Gaga - The Cure - Really enjoyed this myself, charts high for me too.
Miley Cyrus - Younger Now - I like this myself.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby JimJim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:35 am

KESHA PRAYING

A turbulent few years probably had most of us convinced Kesha would never see the charts again, luckily that wasn't to be her fate. 'Praying' is perhaps the most meaningful and cathartic comeback we've ever seen from a female popstar. Part of the essentials list for a Kesha comeback was showing two things - she could actually sing and that she could do more than party songs. Ryan Lewis was a good match to do this, as the production builds well throughout and the use of the backing vocals really strengthens the second half of the song. It does seem the track was a much bigger chart hit in Australia (peaked at #6, 19 weeks in the top 50) than it was in the UK (#26) or the US (#22)
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:48 am

THE CHAINSMOKERS PARIS

Whilst they do seem to be knobs in day-to-day life, The Chainsmokers have a knack for making really good, melodic dance-pop music. 'Paris' was part of a run of amazing singles which started with 'Roses' and concluded with 'Something Just Like This'. 'Paris' is perhaps the most underrated of their big chart hits, probably because 'Something Just Like This' came out only a few weeks into its chart run. The song falls back consistently on a catchy hook ("If we go down, then, we go down together"), which is masterfully used to lead into the explosion of synth in the last minute or so of the track, which is really euphoric.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:57 am

DEAN LEWIS WAVES

For the uninitiated, Dean Lewis is a singer-songwriter from Sydney, Australia. 'Waves' was the second highest selling Australian single in Australia of 2017, behind only PNAU's 'Chameleon'. 'Waves' is a Shawn Mendes-esque pop rock track, with a guitar ticking away with a pace of urgency throughout. The song stands up particularly well for replay value and I can see myself enjoying this for years to come.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby luckyONE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:52 am

I don't care what anyone says - I love The Chainsmokers! "Paris" is definitely a great highlight from their album.
Good to see "Symphony" in the Top 10, too.
luckyONE
Superstar

Return to Year End Personal Charts