Jim's Best of 2017 Countdown: #1

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Thriller » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:28 am

Paris is probably one of their least annoying songs of late.

Symphony is gorge.
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am

I'd say ''Waves'' is a bit darker than this Shawn Mendes comparison.
Not enough Australian acts in the list
Last edited by heppolo on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:28 pm

#19 NIALL HORAN SLOW HANDS
#17 DUA LIPA NEW RULES
#16 TAYLOR SWIFT ...READY FOR IT?

#15 ANNE-MARIE CIAO ADIOS
#14 LADY GAGA THE CURE
#11 MILEY CYRUS YOUNGER NOW
#10 CLEAN BANDIT SYMPHONY FT ZARA LARSSON
#9 KESHA PRAYING

So many highlights of 2017!
"Praying" and "Symphony" are brilliant... :cry: Very happy they both made your Top10!
Tansike
Legend

Postby JimJim » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:10 am

Thanks for the comments as per usual :) ...Heppolo, in retrospect, I really don't think I heard enough Aussie music this year, I'm somewhat like the ARIA end of year chart, under-representing definitely.

RICKI-LEE NOT TOO LATE

Ricki-Lee only released one piece of music in 2017, but it was quite the song. 'Not Too Late' is her most mature offering yet, a stripped back pop ballad, which was a natural flow-on from the success Jess Mauboy saw with 'Fallin'. 'Not Too Late' features Ricki-Lee at her best, soaring vocals which are expertly delivered. The track has a classic vocal diva feel about, something akin to Whitney's 'Saving All My Love For You'. I know some people find the chorus wailing a bit much, but I love it and it's great fun to scream along to in the car. Kudos Ricki-Lee!
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Benjamin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:12 am

'Praying' is fantastic, yay :)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:15 am

'Symphony' is absolutely gorgeous, Zara sounds amazing on it!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am

No one's bothered to comment on Ricki-Lee [probably no one checks out the stuff they are not familiar with].
Great vocals, albeit I am not too keen on rather generic production on this.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JimJim » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:10 am

NIALL HORAN TOO MUCH TO ASK

I've already rattled on enough about how Niall was the surprise package of the year, but his crowning jewel was this third single from his debut solo album. 'Too Much To Ask' is a soft rock track in the vein of James Morrison or Bryan Adams that feels almost handcrafted for AC radio. I think the overall composition is gorgeous, it's just one of those songs where the piano and drums meld so well together. It's not only his best single, it's the best song on the album as well.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 am

I had a really tough time trying to arrange the top four songs of the year, because I love them all fairly equally, so perhaps consider these positions a little arbitrary...

IMAGINE DRAGONS WHATEVER IT TAKES

Imagine Dragons have a certain knack for making music where the production just sounds immense, it sounds stadium-ready, an event. 'Whatever It Takes' was the best of their 2017 singles and a highlight of the surprisingly great 'Evolve' album. The song bursts out of the gates with Dan's rapid-fire verses, where the flow is so on-point and crisp as can be. A true success in a song is when the track can so purely evoke the emotion they aimed for. This is the ultimate pump-up song for 2017, like something you'd listen to before or during climbing a mountain, it evokes a pure sense of blood, sweat, tears and an unquenched desire to succeed.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 am

Lots of good here, like the BloodpopBiebs, Dua, Gaga, Steps, Niall (how dare you say he was never the sexy one) and Anne-Marie (though Heavy and Then are NOT average!!!!) Taylor is great. Good to see people recognising it as her best this era.

Symphony def the best here, tune,
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:50 am

Oh missed the ones on this page, Niall - I agree with you is his best single, so good, though I prefer On The Loose from the album I think?

Ricki-Lee's vocals are to die for on that track.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:38 am

KESHA LEARN TO LET GO

If 'Praying' was Kesha's moment of catharsis, then 'Learn to Let Go' was a return to joy, the moment of moving on. Of my top five, this is the one I would consider to be lyrically the strongest, the message is so well-delivered and it feels very real. One of my favourite refrains is the lead into the chorus:

I know I'm always like
Telling everybody, "You don't gotta be a victim,
life ain't always fair, but hell is living in resentment.
Choose redemption.
Your happy ending's up to you"

This is her choosing to accept the horrors of the past and look onto a bright future. To top it off, the track is super catchy and the music video is very touching. To think she could return with a song this strong was a real blessing as a fan.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:47 am

SHAWN MENDES THERE'S NOTHING HOLDING ME BACK

Noughties one-hit wonder Teddy Geiger is the mastermind behind Shawn Mendes. Teddy wrote and produced 'Stitches', 'Treat You Better', 'Mercy' and yep, you guessed it, 'There's Nothing Holding Me Back'. The fortunate thing here was that this track felt at least a little different to the previous ones, which felt quite similar. This song is absolute electricity. From the opening chords, there is a certain, urgent-feeling pace about the song which you hear, but lays dormant during the first verse. The track is like a guitar attempt at the "pop-drop" formula which dominated mainstream music from 2015-17 and it works oh-so well. The bridge is just so, utterly satisfying in this song. When those drums kick in and then it just elevates and elevates for the final chorus - a real eargasm. This also falls into my category of songs that are great fun to scream along to in the car, turns this one up to 11.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby JimJim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 am

THE CHAINSMOKERS & COLDPLAY SOMETHING JUST LIKE THIS

If Shawn's song is electricity, this song is magic. It almost pains me to put a song at #1 that is a revamp of a previous song (the beat-drop is far too similar to 'Roses'), but when it improves so much upon the source material, what can I possibly do? A perhaps unlikely collaboration worked out so well for both involved and 'Something Just Like This' deservedly became one of the biggest hits of the year.

It's lyrically simplistic, but the delivery sells it and the dreamy guitar work gives it this euphoric feeling, an energy I still feel from it nearly a year later. This was a song destined for the big stage, this is the song you want to be in a mosh-pit for when the confetti cannons go off in a stadium during the encore.

Somewhat like ' Paris', the last minute of this song is an absolute spectacle. When it cuts down to the piano, builds up and then that guitar comes in - it's bliss. It's bliss and it's my #1 track of 2017.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby ludichris » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 am

Great top 2. Something Just Like This was definitely one of my most played and most loved songs of 2017, an unexpected collaboration which yielded excellent results.

You posted the Shawn Mendes video twice by the way. :lol:
ludichris
Manager

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:08 am

'Too Much To Ask' really ended up growing on me, I think Niall has such a nice voice. 'Something Just Like This' is pretty fun, but sort of sounds like a compromise track for both parties.
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:24 pm

What a terrible #1. Sorry Jim, I hate it. Basic on every front by both acts involved.
Thriller

Postby luckyONE » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Amazing #1! Over the last few weeks, it probably became my favorite song by The Chainsmokers. Loved the performance of this at the One Love Manchester concert!
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Lol conversely to the last two replies, I think your number one sits in the middle, it's nice!

I live for your number two though, Shawn is perfect in so many ways and I love this track.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm

#5 NIALL HORAN TOO MUCH TO ASK
#4 IMAGINE DRAGONS WHATEVER IT TAKES
#3 KESHA LEARN TO LET GO
#2 SHAWN MENDES THERE'S NOTHING HOLDING ME BACK

Unfortunately not a big fan of your #1, the others from the Top5 are quite good though, especially "Whatever It Takes".

Overall a very strong countdown! :D
Tansike
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts