thankful’s Top 27 Albums of 2017

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby thankfulforkelly » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:33 pm

What even is a personal chart? I haven’t posted here in this section in forever and haven’t run a countdown or personal chart in nearly two years, but hey I figured it’d be nice to do a countdown of my favourite albums of 2017. Most of them are from 2017 but there are a few from other years that I only bothered to listen to for the first time this year. Countdown starts soon. Enjoy!
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby luckyONE » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Excited! :)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:40 am

27? Love the odd - in more ways than one - figure!
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Really excited for this! :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:57 pm

27. Loreen - Ride
I'm not really a Loreen fan but I fell totally in love with Hate the Way I Love You and 71 Charger and thought I'd give the album a go when it came out. It's decent, but not really for me. I will revisit it a few times in 2018 and I respect her for doing something a bit different - I prefer this to the likes of Euphoria for sure.
26. Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel
Even though this came out in like February I only actually listened to this back in October. I was pleasantly surprised, I like it. It's relatively experimental and clearly Charli was just doing this for a laugh and with no commercial thoughts in mind, but it's still got a good pop sensibility about it. Dreamer, 3AM, Blame It On You and Emotional are my faves, but I haven't listened enough yet to give all the songs justice.
25. Harry Styles - Harry Styles
This album is actually pretty solid, even if it is a bit try-hard at times. I appreciate that Harry didn't take the basic route like the rest of them (bar Zayn, who still holds the title for best solo album by far). Sign of the Times is a grower, Two Ghosts is really nice and Kiwi is cool, but my favourite is definitely the album's first track, Meet Me in the Hallway.
Reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:13 pm

I might give Harry's album a go but I didn't love his first single... Charli I heard quite a bit of in her Glastonbury set... seems quite noisy but catchy!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Carbon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Still have to check Loreen's album, loved the singles
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Harry's album isn't bad, but nothing on it is even in the same vicinity as "Sign of the Times" quality-wise.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:30 pm

I enjoy all these three albums, though none of them belong to my favorite releases of 2017. I also think Loreen and Charli XCX already delivered (much) better stuff... :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:32 pm

27. Loreen - Ride
Wow, Loreen's nod was kinda unexpected. A decent record.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 pm

heppolo wrote:27. Loreen - Ride
Wow, Loreen's nod was kinda unexpected. A decent record.
Glad you like!

king_oxymoron wrote:I might give Harry's album a go but I didn't love his first single... Charli I heard quite a bit of in her Glastonbury set... seems quite noisy but catchy!
If you're not a fan of SOTT you probably won't like the rest of the album - but it's worth a listen! There are some more accessible songs imo.

Tansike wrote:I enjoy all these three albums, though none of them belong to my favorite releases of 2017. I also think Loreen and Charli XCX already delivered (much) better stuff... :oops:
Funny :lol: I'm not a huge fan of Charli or Loreen's earlier stuff, but i like their newer releases :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:Harry's album isn't bad, but nothing on it is even in the same vicinity as "Sign of the Times" quality-wise.
SOTT has this epic feel about it, but it's a bit too long imo :lol: It's definitely a highlight though

Carbon wrote:Still have to check Loreen's album, loved the singles
I think you'd like Dreams a lot, and the album is so short you ought to give it a listen when you can :lol:
Reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby thankfulforkelly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:57 pm

24. Julia Michaels - Nervous System
Following Charli XCX's mixtape invading my album countdown, here comes another imposter in the form of a mini-album :lol: I wrote a longer review for this on UKMix back in August, and, to summarise, this is a nice piece of work but with some filler and ultimately sounding much like any other pop record from recent years. Still, it makes for a really nice listen and Issues, Pink and Uh Huh are all really good songs. The real gem, however, is Worst In Me. It's such a simple song but there's something so appealing about it.
23. Tove Lo - Blue Lips
I really like Tove Lo and I like the niche that she's made for herself, but I found this album disappointing. Nothing grabbed me as much as on Queen of the Clouds or Lady Wood. I hoped it would grow on me, but (whilst it has grown on me) I still think it's her worst album. I praise her for doing her own thing, though, and I'm glad she evolves with every release - there are some really sonically interesting moments on Blue Lips. disco tits is hilarious (particularly the video), shivering gold is really cool and hey, you got drugs? is definitely my favourite.
22. alt-J - RELAXER
I really like alt-J, they are so original and truly have a unique sound. Their first two albums are gorgeous. Unfortunately by the time they got round to following up This Is All Yours, I was kinda over them :oops: House of the Rising Sun is amazing, and Deadcrush is great too. But the rest just feels like a series of interludes. Hopefully their next album is better.
21. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
This is a really ambitious album, and I'm sure if I was a bigger rap fan this album would be much higher in my countdown. I was familiar with the well-known songs, but I only listened to this in September when I was feeling a bit unsure what to listen to and figured I ought to listen to this. There are lots of individual highlights, but damn (*ba dum cha*), DAMN. really feels like a body of work. The songs flow really well and I think the tracklisting works really well, it sounds best when you listen to it all in one sitting. HUMBLE. is such a bop and will always be my favourite, but DNA., ELEMENT., LOYALTY. and LOVE. are all great too. I feel bad that this misses the top 20 as it is a really good album, but what can I say I love my female flop singers <3
Reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:51 pm

23. Tove Lo - Blue Lips

It's probably shocking but despite being a big hit, i never heard "Issues" by Julia :oops:
Tove Lo actually disappointed me a lot with "Blue Lips". It's not bad, but just so much weaker than her other two albums.
So... "Damn." is actually my fave of the latest group. A solid record, and i'm usually not into this genre at all.
Tansike
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:01 am

I enjoyed some tracks on "Blue Lips" but I need to listen to it again to judge it better.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby thankfulforkelly » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Tansike wrote:23. Tove Lo - Blue Lips

It's probably shocking but despite being a big hit, i never heard "Issues" by Julia :oops:
Tove Lo actually disappointed me a lot with "Blue Lips". It's not bad, but just so much weaker than her other two albums.
So... "Damn." is actually my fave of the latest group. A solid record, and i'm usually not into this genre at all.
You seem to feel pretty similar to me about those two then :P

luckyONE wrote:I enjoyed some tracks on "Blue Lips" but I need to listen to it again to judge it better.
It's definitely worth a few listens. It is good but idk, there's something lacking about it
Reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby Biebz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:03 pm

thankfulforkelly wrote:It's definitely worth a few listens. It is good but idk, there's something lacking about it
a hit? #generictaste
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby thankfulforkelly » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:42 pm

20. Kelsea Ballerini - Unapologetically
Country music's replacement for Taylor Swift takes the #20 spot in my countdown. On a first listen this album feels kinda basic and everything sounds much the same, but it is a grower and a stronger effort than her debut. Whilst still very tweenish, Kelsea feels more reflective and mature on her sophomore effort, and I like how this album feels chronological - the album starts recounting a break-up, before going on to see Kelsea finding love again. I Hate Love Songs is cheesy but ultimately very cute and sounds like a crossover hit, Roses sounds just like an old Taylor song (so naturally I love it), and Legends is a nice album closer. A good album, but in my opinion Kelsea needs to continue to mature and take a more authentic country sound if she wants to be more than a passing fad.
19. Fifth Harmony - Fifth Harmony
I feel like I come across on the forum as a 5H stan, but in all honesty I think their music is basic and they're yet to release a very good album. I still route for the girls and think they have a lot of potential, but this album still falls short to what they're capable of. It feels like a continuation of 7/27 without a Work From Home megahit on it. It makes for an enjoyable listen though if you're in the mood for something easy, and Angel goes hard - definitely the highlight. He Like That is nice and summery, Don't Say You Love Me is catchy and Bridges is a nice song that is definitely subtly about the whole Camila situation. Unfortunately that's pretty much it - the album is 'nice' but there's nothing particularly deep or unique about it. Maybe next time, girls?
18. Charli XCX - Pop 2
Charli's appears again on my countdown with her second mixtape of 2017. It's a solid effort and would appear higher in the countdown if released earlier in the year. It's more electronic and less poppy than N1A, but definitely a better body of work. It feels very cohesive and the vocoder effect on her voice works really well with the mechanic production. Backseat features Carly Rae Jepsen so naturally it is legendary, Out of My Head should actually be pushed a single because it has hit potential and there's something epic about the camp anthems I Got It and Femmebot. The repetitive lyrics work for the most part but occasionally i do wonder when listening to this if Charli is trolling (see: Unlock It). There's also some parts of the mixtape that make my ears bleed :lol: Still, a good mixtape/album/whatever and I'm definitely becoming a Charli fan
17. Zara Larsson - So Good
'Quite Good' would be a more fitting title tbh. There was a phase when I was close to stanning for Zara, unfortunately by the time she released So Good I had lost interest and moved on to Camila Cabello. I'm pleased that Zara's album managed to finally see the light of day two years after the release of its lead single as the album is pretty decent. The singles (up until the dire title-track) all go hard, and Ain't My Fault is that bop. The album feels cohesive and whilst it is trend-chasing, there's something sincere about the album. TG4M is really nice, and Only You is brilliant - maybe my favourite. Unfortunately there is a bit of filler, and it's easy to lose gems like I Can't Fall In Love Without You amongst the filler. A promising start, nevertheless.
Reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby thankfulforkelly » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Biebz wrote:
thankfulforkelly wrote:It's definitely worth a few listens. It is good but idk, there's something lacking about it
a hit? #generictaste
I was talking about Blue Lips, not Witness #bettertastethanyou
Reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Charli XCX and Kendrick Lamar are fine picks, I have to admit.
Kendrick's album is quite consistent and Charli is very brave and open-minded.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Biebz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:49 pm

thankfulforkelly wrote:
Biebz wrote:
a hit? #generictaste
Witness is probably still to come on your chart :lol:
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby thankfulforkelly » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Biebz wrote:
thankfulforkelly wrote:
Biebz wrote:
a hit? #generictaste
Witness is probably still to come on your chart :lol:
No Witness on my countdown, CTTR might be legendary (Swish Swish, Witness and Roulette are decent too) but the rest is completely horrid for me :oops:
Reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

I feel like I should like Damn more than I do, but it ended up in a similar position on my list (#23). I like "Humble," but "DNA" is actually my favourite.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Love love love Pop 2, it should be much higher!
I'm surprised you don't like Blue Lips more, from the very first listen I found it much better than Lady Wood :(
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby thankfulforkelly » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:11 pm

Thank you for the comments!

heppolo wrote:Charli XCX and Kendrick Lamar are fine picks, I have to admit.
Kendrick's album is quite consistent and Charli is very brave and open-minded.
Yay, I'm glad you like

JSparksFan wrote:I feel like I should like Damn more than I do, but it ended up in a similar position on my list (#23). I like "Humble," but "DNA" is actually my favourite.
DNA is good too! I also know what you mean, it's got so much acclaim I feel I should be putting it in a higher position than #21 :lol:

ArmyOfMe wrote:Love love love Pop 2, it should be much higher!
I'm surprised you don't like Blue Lips more, from the very first listen I found it much better than Lady Wood :(
Basic opinion, Lady Wood is her best album
Reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby thankfulforkelly » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 pm

16. Halsey - hopeless fountain kingdom
It pains me to put Halsey in my countdown, but what can I say her album is actually pretty decent. On first listen I was like "blegh, more tumblr crap", but for whatever reason I found myself coming back to listen to it and now I think the album is pretty decent. She's still very try-hard but the production is interesting and the album is cohesive. In one sitting it is a bit too much, however, and I tend to only listen to a handful of songs at a time. Her duet with Lauren Jauregui, Strangers, is one of my favourite songs of the year and a brilliant pop song, Eyes Closed is also another highlight - you can tell that The Weeknd wrote the melody, but Halsey just about manages to make it her own. With Halsey continuing her streak of radio hits with Bad At Love, and her song with G-Eazy looking set to be a big hit, it's safe to say we'll be seeing a lot more of the queen of tumblr in 2018.
15. Lana Del Rey - Lust For Life
It seems fitting to follow Halsey, a Lana Del Rey wannabe, with Lana herself. Lana returned last year with seemingly a sequel to Born To Die, seeing her incorporating more trap and hip/hop elements again, as well as making something more accessible than Ultraviolence or Honeymoon. The results are good - and also saw me delve back into her past works, which I'd forgotten how decent they are (as long as you're in the mood for them). 13 Beaches is divine, Love is really cute and very un-Lana in theme and a great opener, and I love God Bless America (And All The Beautiful Women In It). Something I really like is how Lana seems to have suddenly acquired a political consciousness - I've occasionally found her lyrics, themes and some of the stuff she's said problematic, so I appreciate her commenting on and being inspired by the current state of affairs in the world. Bravo, Lana.
14. The Weeknd - Starboy
What's this, an album not from 2017? Yes, I'm aware that Starboy was released back in '16, but I only got round to listening to it in early 2017. Out of the two Abel albums I've listened to this is easily his best work yet, a real step up from Beauty Behind The Madness. The album is a bit long, but there's not *too* much filler and there are some decent tracks towards the end such as Love To Lay and particularly Attention. The real bops, however, are the beginning tracks which go hard - Reminder, Rockin', and Secrets are a 1-2-3 punch of slayage. Something that I really love is how this album is very commercial, but also still sounds uniquely like The Weeknd and the production goes hard. Very few have managed to crossover into the mainstream as successfully as The Weeknd has (looking at you Tinashe).
13. Jhene Aiko - Trip
This time last year if you'd asked me what I thought about Jhene Aiko, I'd've responded with "what's a Jhene Aiko?" :lol: Thankfully I've seen the light and spent lots of 2017 checking out the alt-R&B singer. Trip is different, and in my opinion, more abstract than her earlier work - there's a lot to listen to and it can feel a bit dull at times. It's worth it, though. The album has some real gems - While We're Young and Ascension in particular are beautiful - and there are also some real bops too, in the form of Sativa and Only Lovers Left Alive. I would say this album really comes into its own for when you fancy working with some music - I find it quite de-stressing and also it's abstract enough that I personally won't get lost singing along to the music :lol:
Summary so far:
27. Loreen - Ride
26. Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel
25. Harry Styles - Harry Styles
24. Julia Michaels - Nervous System
23. Tove Lo - Blue Lips
22. alt-J - RELAXER
20. Kelsea Ballerini - Unapologetically
19. Fifth Harmony - Fifth Harmony
18. Charli XCX - Pop 2
17. Zara Larsson - So Good
16. Halsey - Hopeless Fountain Kingdom
15. Lana Del Rey - Lust For Life
14. The Weeknd - Starboy
13. Jhene Aiko - Trip
Last edited by thankfulforkelly on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts