setg1 top five: 2017 year-end chart

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby setg1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:32 am

As another year is nearing its end, it's time to release the year-end chart of 2017! In December, the setg1 top five (published in the UKmixPARADE thread) had its second anniversary – time really flies!

The year-end chart is based on points scored in the weekly charts. I won't write a long introduction for my chart and its rules this time, as you can read it in my 2016 thread. Four songs from that chart will be making another appearance this year. I have to admit 2017 was not one of my favorite years in music, which also affected the chart. In 2016, 58 different songs charted in the top five – the number is down to 48 this year. However, 31 of these made it to number one for at least a week (either in 2017 or at the end of 2016), more than last year's 29. Also of note is that the top songs of the year gathered a nice points haul – the song ranked at #4 has 41 points, which was enough for "One Dance" to take #1 last year.

So get ready for the best of 2017, as picked by setg1. You'll find a wide range of music ranging from mainstream pop to metal – and even some very strange choices here and there! The countdown will start over the next few days, with most of the songs being revealed in batches of ten.
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby setg1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:20 am

Here's the first batch, no big hits yet:

48. Louis Tomlinson: Miss You
1 point - peak position: 5 - 1 week
This pop rock song was generally received quite badly. I liked it, but it wasn't really one of my highlights this year – good enough to chart at the end of the year when there were few new songs I liked, though. He has another song a little higher in the year-end.

47. Mustasch: Lawbreaker
1 point - peak position: 5 - 1 week
Swedish metal did well in the setg1 top five last year, with Ghost's "Square Hammer" making it all the way to #3 in the year-end. Mustasch didn't quite manage to match that feat but charted briefly with this catchy track. It's a great song, even if the vocals are a bit harsh at times.

46. Years & Years: Meteorite
In 2017: 2 points - peak position: 5 - 2 weeks
Full chart run: 42 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 15 weeks

The #2 hit in the 2016 year-end manages to make another appearance this year. With the addition of these two points, it beats last year's #1 from Drake. It also used to hold the record for most weeks on the chart, though other songs have since broken it...

45. Kygo feat. Justin Jesso: Stargazing
2 points - peak position: 4 - 1 week
This dance song was lucky to chart, as I got sick of it pretty quickly. It has some nice parts, but the repetitiveness hurt its longevity. Oh well, Kygo is no longer a one-hit wonder in my top five ("Raging", which I like much more, was at #34 last year).

44. Arcade Fire: Everything Now
A good (even if a little long) song that reminds me of Yvonne Elliman's "If I Can't Have You". Who'd have thought a rock song from 2017 would be so reminiscent of 70s disco?

43. Zühlke: Perfect Villain

Finland turned 100 this year, but it was a terrible year for songs from my home country in my chart. This song, which placed second in the local Eurovision qualifications, is the only appearance for a Finnish act in the year-end; last year, there were three, including one at #9. The only song I really liked of the Finnish Eurovision hopefuls – the good melody and vocals make it work in spite of some corny lyrics. The first of six Eurovision-related songs in the year-end.

42. Hey Violet: Hoodie
4 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks

Another nice pop song. A sleeper hit in my chart – though I liked it when it came out, it only impressed me enough to chart after a couple of relistens in December!

41. Jamiroquai: Cloud 9
4 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks

With "Everything Now" and this, you can say disco is back! One of my favorite songs from Jamiroquai, though one of their other new songs is significantly higher in this chart!
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:23 am

Fan of Everything Now and Meteorite! Not a fan at all of Miss You :lol:
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:49 pm

48. Louis Tomlinson: Miss You

Liking these three so far.
"Miss You" is kinda underrated. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but i really don't get the hate it got.
"Meteorite" is amazing, "Stargazing" is nice too :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby setg1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:22 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:Fan of Everything Now and Meteorite! Not a fan at all of Miss You :lol:
Tansike wrote:48. Louis Tomlinson: Miss You

Liking these three so far.
"Miss You" is kinda underrated. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but i really don't get the hate it got.
"Meteorite" is amazing, "Stargazing" is nice too :)
Thanks for the comments! :D

"Meteorite" is brilliant and deserved to do a lot better in the international charts. It's the third-longest charting song in the history of my top five (I won't say which songs have charted longer, as those will appear later in the countdown). "Everything Now" would probably be a lot higher if it had been released later in the year. There were a couple of songs that never went higher than #3 and still charted for many weeks, as there was so little competition for them. When "Everything Now" charted, there was a new number one almost every week!

"Miss You" seems to be quite divisive. I remember almost everyone on the UKMIX thread hating it, but at least I'm not the only one who likes it. :lol: As I wrote about "Stargazing", it didn't have much longevity for me. But even then, at a different time it would probably also have stayed a couple of weeks longer in the top five.

Positions #40 to #31 will be revealed soon!
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:37 pm

"Meteorite" was one of my top songs of 2016, too. It's euphoric, the absolute best thing Years & Years have done.
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby setg1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:25 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Meteorite" was one of my top songs of 2016, too. It's euphoric, the absolute best thing Years & Years have done.
I agree. "King" is a good song too, but "Meteorite" is much better! :)

The countdown continues:

40. St. Vincent: Los Ageless
5 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks

This song impressed me on first listen and should probably have placed higher. I especially like the chorus and the instrumental.

39. Jana Burčeska: Dance Alone
5 points - peak position: 3 - 2 weeks

While six songs in the year-end have participated in Eurovision qualifications, this is one of the two that actually represented a country (Macedonia in this case) in the contest. A brilliant pop song that deserved to qualify for the final. Maybe it would have with a better live performance...

38. Louis Tomlinson feat. Bebe Rexha & Digital Farm Animals: Back to You

5 points - peak position: 2 - 2 weeks

The second and highest appearance for Louis Tomlinson in the year-end, the only chart appearance to date for the other two. I liked this catchy and somewhat familiar-sounding song, though it didn't have much longevity for me.

37. The Weeknd: Rockin'

In 2017: 7 points - peak position: 2 - 3 weeks
Full chart run: 22 points - peak position: 1 - 7 weeks

Last year's #22 makes another appearance here. It's my favorite from the Weeknd and should have been released as a single.

36. DJ Antoine: La vie en rose
7 points - peak position: 1 - 2 weeks

The least successful #1 hit in the two-year history of the setg1 top five, only charting for two weeks. A good dance song but not one of my favorites in its genre, though I did listen to it a lot for a while.

35. Katy Perry feat. Skip Marley: Chained to the Rhythm
8 points - peak position: 3 - 3 weeks
Katy's second top five appearance after "Rise" which reached number one and was the 30th biggest hit last year. One of the few pop hits I loved this year.

34. Mariette: A Million Years
9 points - peak position: 3 - 4 weeks

The lowest of three Melodifestivalen entries that charted. I think it would have been a good choice to represent Sweden in the ESC.

33. Captain Ska: Liar Liar
10 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks

Censorship turned against itself. I listened to this song after I heard the BBC had banned it from their chart show. Not only is it nice to know protest songs are still being made, but the song is so catchy I could imagine it being a hit in any case!

32. Twenty One Pilots: Heavydirtysoul
10 points - peak position: 1 - 3 weeks

Twenty One Pilots were the act of the year in the setg1 top five last year, placing five songs in the year-end (at #4, #13, #18, #28 and #47). This year was significantly weaker for them, as this was their only entry, but they did get a record-extending fourth #1 hit with it!

31. Francesco Gabbani: Occidentali's Karma
10 points - peak position: 1 - 3 weeks

The Italian Eurovision entry was my favorite song in the contest this year, and I expected it to place higher than it did. It is also the more successful of two Eurovision entries here, though two Melodifestivalen songs appear even higher...
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby setg1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:27 am

And now we're in the top 30! :D

30. Sia: Never Give Up
11 points - peak position: 2 - 5 weeks

Sia's second top five appearance (following "Unstoppable", a #1 hit last year) was the first new entry of 2017. A catchy pop song which should have been more popular on the charts worldwide – but at least it got a deserved #1 on the UKmixPARADE! 8-)

29. Khalid: Young Dumb & Broke
12 points - peak position: 3 - 8 weeks
This R&B song didn't impress me on first listen (this happened with many songs in 2017!), but later it clicked. It broke an important chart record: no other non-#1 hit has spent as many weeks on the chart. Its 12 points also make it the highest-scoring song to peak at #3.

28. Dreamcatcher: Good Night
12 points - peak position: 2 - 5 weeks
The first Korean song to chart since PSY's "Daddy" made a quick appearance on the first setg1 top five back in December 2015. Great melodic song – while the vocals are rather typical of K-pop, the instrumental is guitar-driven rock, creating a brilliant combination. If this had come out later in the year, it would definitely have made it to #1 for at least a week (which should have happened).

27. Highly Suspect: Little One
12 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 3 weeks
I found this rock song completely by chance, but it went on to become a big hit. It is the current number one on the top five and can be expected to score more points in 2018. It reminds me of 90s rock, especially in the chorus, which is its clear highlight.

26. Rebecca Shoichet, Andrea Libman, Ashleigh Ball, Shannon Chan-Kent & Kazumi Evans: Rise Up!
13 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks
Here start the surprises: this song is from a "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls" cartoon short (spoiler alert: it's not the only one of its kind in this chart). :lol: A very catchy song which has been compared to "Eye of the Tiger", though it's a lot more pop-oriented...

25. Sam Hunt: Body like a Back Road
13 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks
The first country song to chart in the setg1 top five had a short run but peaked at #1. This deserved more international success (which is unfortunately very rare for country music).

24. Bastille: Basket Case
14 points - peak position: 2 - 4 weeks

Bastille had a very strong year in 2016, with three top two hits, including the year-end #6 "Good Grief", but this Green Day cover was their only appearance this year. While I didn't like it that much on first listen, this symphonic version grew on me and spent two weeks as runner-up. With its points haul, it became the most successful song ever not to reach #1.

23. Hurts: Ready to Go
14 points - peak position: 1 - 4 weeks

Nice pop song that had a rare zig-zag chart run (2-4-1-3-out). Hurts also had another much bigger hit this year...

22. Mando Diao: Shake
14 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 4 weeks

When I heard this song on the radio, I actually thought it was an older rock song at first. Well, with my declining interest in current music, a classic sound often works well.

21. Harry Styles: Sign of the Times
15 points - peak position: 1 - 6 weeks

Another song that had a nostalgic rock sound. The most successful song in my chart by a former One Direction member (Louis has two appearances in the lower positions and Zayn took #39 last year with "It's You").
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby luckyONE » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:44 am

I enjoyed "Never Give Up", great lyrics!

"Chained To The Rhythm" was a nice song aswell! :)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby setg1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:06 pm

luckyONE wrote:I enjoyed "Never Give Up", great lyrics!

"Chained To The Rhythm" was a nice song aswell! :)
Great songs, though I prefer the songs they charted with last year ("Unstoppable" and "Rise").

The tradition of Sia having the first debut of the year will continue in my chart this week. So she will have at least one song in three consecutive year-end charts. :)
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:08 pm

22. Mando Diao: Shake

Great song, a return to form for Mando Diao
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby setg1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:56 pm

heppolo wrote:22. Mando Diao: Shake

Great song, a return to form for Mando Diao
Indeed. I admit I haven't heard that many songs from them, but this is my favorite of the ones I know. :)

And now we're entering the top 20! Some more surprises here. :wink:

20. Lana Del Rey feat. A$AP Rocky: Groupie Love
15 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 4 weeks
Lana Del Rey's first appearance (and the only one to date) in my top five, though "High by the Beach" would have been a huge hit if my chart had existed back then. An oneiric song with an atmosphere unlike most of today's songs. The pre-chorus is my favorite part, but the entire song is good.

19. Tiësto feat. Bright Sparks: On My Way
16 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 4 weeks

A great dance song that was somehow ignored almost entirely – and even I forgot about it as the year went on, until I recently rediscovered it. Tiësto's first setg1 top five hit as a lead artist – his remix of Dzeko & Torres' "L'amour toujours" was #12 in the 2016 year-end.

18. Rebecca Shoichet: Monday Blues
17 points - peak position: 1 - 5 weeks
Another song from "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls". Again very catchy pop, about a day when nothing seems to go right (although it might not quite rival the Boomtown Rats for the #1 Monday anthem). It originally peaked at #2 but had a more successful second chart run a couple of months later.

17. Owe Thörnqvist: Boogieman Blues
19 points - peak position: 1 - 6 weeks
Two songs with "blues" in the title in a row! This combination of blues and rockabilly is another real surprise entry and the second-highest Melodifestivalen song. Mr. Thörnqvist is the oldest artist to reach number one (at the age of 87) and chart in the top five (at 88) – try to beat that! I actually hoped to see this in the Eurovision – it would have been something unique.

16. Wiktoria: As I Lay Me Down
19 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 5 weeks
The highest-placed Melodifestivalen song (and Eurovision-related song in general). A good pop song, which would also have been a nice entry for the contest, but I still prefer her 2016 song "Save Me" (also a #1 hit in the setg1 top five). This was actually more successful than its predecessor on the chart, which had more to do with the weaker competition it faced.

15. ItaloBrothers: Summer Air
20 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 6 weeks
This dance track was my favorite summer song of the year. Its structure is quite ordinary, but does it really matter when it's done so well? Somehow it reminds me of the Chainsmokers (who haven't had a top five hit yet, by the way).

14. Imagine Dragons: Believer
21 points - peak position: 1 - 8 weeks

The second song named "Believer" to chart on the setg1 top five, making it the first title to appear on multiple hits (I think "Million Years Ago" and "A Million Years" are the closest of all the others) – Major Lazer and Showtek were at #37 in the 2016 year-end with their take. A combination of poppy verses and a rock-oriented chorus, it's my second favorite Imagine Dragons song after "Demons".

13. DNCE: Kissing Strangers
21 points - peak position: 1 - 7 weeks
While this song didn't match the success of "Cake by the Ocean" internationally, it eclipsed it on the setg1 top five – that song was only the 27th biggest hit of 2016. A great groovy and catchy song whose lack of popularity was incomprehensible. While Nicki Minaj appears on the regular version of the song, I prefer the version without her verse.

12. Jamiroquai: Automaton
22 points - peak position: 1 - 7 weeks

The second (and highest) appearance for Jamiroquai in this countdown. Great song with an experimental sound, which spent just one week at the top but was at #2 for three weeks. For most of the year, it looked like a certain year-end top 10 hit, but the slow last few months enabled later songs to score more points...

11. Hurts: Beautiful Ones
23 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 10 weeks

Hurts' second hit in the year-end chart just misses out on a top ten position. One of the best pop songs of the year, brilliant from start to finish. How did this not become a bigger hit?
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:07 pm

17. Owe Thörnqvist: Boogieman Blues

Much better than ''I Can't Go On'', it has that old-school rockabilly vibe and Owe's the legend.

Ivan Drago boxing (Dolph Lundgren, of course) in the music video is the best thing about this
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby setg1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:16 pm

heppolo wrote:17. Owe Thörnqvist: Boogieman Blues

Much better than ''I Can't Go On'', it has that old-school rockabilly vibe and Owe's the legend.

Ivan Drago boxing (Dolph Lundgren, of course) in the music video is the best thing about this
Wow, I thought I was the only one here who liked "Boogieman Blues". :o And yes, it's a lot better than the treadmill song. 8-)

I'll have to rewatch the "Believer" music video. I've seen it before, but I've heard the song many more times.
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:23 pm

"Chained to the Rhythm" is fantastic, and "Occidentali's Karma" is so much fun! It should have fared much better in the contest. "Sign of the Times" was a killer debut single from Harry. He delivered big time with that one.

I'm literally nodding all throughout your "Kissing Strangers" write-up...until you mention that you prefer the Nicki-less version. Nicki gives the song an extra oomph for me. Regardless, it also featured at #13 on my year-end countdown, so great to see someone has an equivalent level of appreciation for the most criminally underrated song of the year.

"Beautiful Ones" is so uplifting! I didn't think I'd ever go back to Hurts this way again. For me, this was their best song since "Wonderful Life".
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby setg1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:09 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Chained to the Rhythm" is fantastic, and "Occidentali's Karma" is so much fun! It should have fared much better in the contest. "Sign of the Times" was a killer debut single from Harry. He delivered big time with that one.

I'm literally nodding all throughout your "Kissing Strangers" write-up...until you mention that you prefer the Nicki-less version. Nicki gives the song an extra oomph for me. Regardless, it also featured at #13 on my year-end countdown, so great to see someone has an equivalent level of appreciation for the most criminally underrated song of the year.

"Beautiful Ones" is so uplifting! I didn't think I'd ever go back to Hurts this way again. For me, this was their best song since "Wonderful Life".
What can I say? I agree with pretty much everything you said. 8-)

As for "Kissing Strangers", it's really interesting that we both have it at #13. :) Especially considering that I don't think anyone else has it near that position. The version with Nicki is good too, but I prefer the other version. I found the version with Luis Fonsi the weakest of the three (though I liked "Despacito"), but that one isn't bad either.

And here's the first half of the top 10:

10. Robin Schulz & David Guetta feat. Cheat Codes: Shed a Light
In 2017: 25 points - peak position: 2 - 10 weeks
Full chart run: 39 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 13 weeks

Another song that would have placed a lot higher if its chart run had been counted entirely – its first three weeks were enough to place it at #23 in the 2016 year-end. A great dance song which remains the only appearance for all three acts.

9. Shannon Chan-Kent: Coinky-Dink World
25 points - peak position: 1 - 9 weeks

Here we have yet another song from a "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls" short (this is becoming something of a theme here :lol:). The lyrics are really silly, but the song itself is quite nice (and a real earworm). Contemporary sound but with mild 50s influences.

8. James Arthur: Back from the Edge
In 2017: 25 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 9 weeks
Full chart run: 52 points - peak position: 1 (5 weeks) - 16 weeks

This song had the misfortune of its chart run being split in half between 2016 and 2017. It was amazingly consistent (#8 in both years, with just a two-point difference), but combining the total would have placed it at #1 in 2016, or alternatively #3 this year. This amazing song should have been released as a single. It broke the record for most weeks at #1, and the longest stay in the top five, though both records have since been broken again (more about that later).

7. Camila Cabello feat. Young Thug: Havana
27 points - peak position: 1 - 9 weeks

One of the best pop songs of the year. The Latin influences are great, I especially like the horns. This song had a slow start worldwide, and my personal chart was the first where it reached #1 or even the top five. A couple of months later, it finally got its deserved success, fighting for the top spots in several countries.

6. Foo Fighters: The Sky Is a Neighborhood
27 points - peak position: 1 (4 weeks) - 7 weeks

An amazing rock song, and one of my favorites from the Foo Fighters (the best I've heard from them in years). A great chorus and an interesting instrumental make it stand out – it's different but memorable. It would probably have charted a few weeks longer if it hadn't been for a couple of particularly hectic weeks in the top five.

I will release the top five soon. This year, it really makes sense to split the top ten into two parts, as the difference in points between the songs at #5 and #6 is the second largest in the entire chart!
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:51 pm

"Havana" has such a killer hook! It was my #2 this year, so great to see it high here, too.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby setg1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:04 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Havana" has such a killer hook! It was my #2 this year, so great to see it high here, too.
A brilliant song which deserved its popularity (though it unfortunately had to settle for #2 on both the Hot 100 and the UKmixPARADE). I'd have expected it to place higher on my year-end (it should have), but #7 is a great achievement anyway.

I've decided to publish the top five one by one, the #5 song is one that never charted anywhere else (what a surprise...) :lol: The whole top five is quite surprising, though not as out of left field as this one!

5. Tridashie: Pony Girl
39 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 13 weeks

Don't think anyone saw that coming. What can I say? Every year, there has to be one really baffling entry in the year-end chart – in 2017, it's this one. :lol:

A bout of boredom led to me watching the cartoon "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic", which I ended up loving against all odds. Given how catchy the music in the series is, this was bound to have an effect on my chart, which has already shown at the positions #9, #18 and #26. The first MLP song to chart, though, was this fanmade one. It's a parody of Aqua's "Barbie Girl" (an undeniable bubblegum classic) with a cute, skillfully animated video – silly but strangely addictive. That it ended up charting in the year-end top five is inexplicable, but let's just say that was partially due to 2017 not being one of the strongest years in music for me.

Well, the excitement of the setg1 top five is that you never know what may become popular! The rest of the top five (or at least three of them), which will be revealed soon, will probably appeal to more people. :lol:
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby setg1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:15 pm

And on to #4...

4. Mallory Knox: Better Off Without You
41 points - peak position: 1 (4 weeks) - 12 weeks

While I wasn't very familiar with Mallory Knox before hearing this song, it didn't prevent them from having one of the biggest hits of the year. Of course, the same could also be said about many other popular acts this year...

A brilliant rock song. Like Twenty One Pilots' "Ride" last year, it almost finished at #2 in the year-end but was passed by two songs at the end of the year. Still, it was one of the longest-running number ones of 2017.

The chorus in this song is one of my favorites this year. The lyrics are also very good (it's not the typical love song). All in all, this song is amazing and deserved more attention. I can imagine it would have been a notable hit if it had been released ten years earlier...
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby setg1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:30 pm

3. Portugal. The Man: Feel It Still
44 points - peak position: 1 (2 weeks) - 13 weeks

The only song in the top five that had notable mainstream chart success. I liked this song from the first time I heard it, but I really started loving it after a few listens.

The song has been stated by many to have crossover appeal, and I can't help but agree with this. While it topped Billboard's Alternative Songs chart, it has a lot of pop elements. It has a sound which wasn't heard in any other notable hits last year.

As it scored three more points than the 2016 year-end number one, it can be considered unlucky to finish this low. But there were two songs with exceptional chart success...
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 pm

Hello setg1 :D

These are my favourites in your year end chart:

6. Foo Fighters: The Sky Is a Neighbourhood

Love the tracks from Katy Perry and Portugal. The Man, both were #1 in my chart. Looking forward to seeing your top 2. :D

Additional note:

Tridashie: Pony Girl

WTF? :lol: I think i'll stick with Barbie girl. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby setg1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 pm

JakeP wrote:Hello setg1 :D

These are my favourites in your year end chart:

6. Foo Fighters: The Sky Is a Neighbourhood

Love the tracks from Katy Perry and Portugal. The Man, both were #1 in my chart. Looking forward to seeing your top 2. :D

Additional note:

Tridashie: Pony Girl

WTF? :lol: I think i'll stick with Barbie girl. :P
Nice to see some love for Captain Ska and Foo Fighters! :D And great to hear you liked so many of the songs.

As for "Pony Girl", it's one of those weird songs that pop up during a time when there's not much music I like otherwise. I didn't really expect anyone else to like it that much. :lol: My #2 will probably be a similar case. The #1 song – I'm not sure if anyone here has even heard it, but I think some might like it. :) I'll try to publish those two later today.
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:21 pm

"Feel It Still" is an eclectic bop! Love it!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby setg1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:49 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Feel It Still" is an eclectic bop! Love it!
One of my favorites of the year. :) Though it spent just two weeks at #1, it was runner-up for five weeks. That's bound to happen to some big hits: the year-end #1 (which I will reveal soon) spent seven weeks at #2 in addition to its weeks at the top. :lol:
setg1
Personal Assistant

Postby setg1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:00 am

#2 is another song that I don't imagine will be everyone's favorite. :P

2. Rebecca Shoichet, Ashleigh Ball, Kazumi Evans, Shannon Chan-Kent & Andrea Libman: Flawless
52 points - peak position: 1 (6 weeks) - 12 weeks

Yes, one more song from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. :lol: Being the fifth of its kind in the year-end chart, one can say the series and its music were quite a phenomenon for me.

Another really catchy song with a good message. Additionally, some great remixes have been created for the song on YouTube, which further boosted its performance. Incredibly, it broke the record for most weeks at #1 (and is still charting). Not sure how enjoyable it is without knowledge of the show, but I'd think the melody has merits of its own.

Note: If you decide to listen to this for some strange reason, the song starts at 0:10 into the video and ends at 2:25.

Still one more song to go: it completely dominated the year, and I promise it has nothing to do with cartoon horses!
Last edited by setg1 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
setg1
Personal Assistant

Return to Year End Personal Charts