Cheapthrills' Cheap 40 - Top 40 Songs of 2017 | #4 - #1 !!!

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:27 pm

I love 'Move Your Body' - such an underrated Sia single :D This should have been huge.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:33 pm

#30 - Goodbye For Now - Juanes
20-10-9-6-2-3-4-4-8-12-18
Peak: June

We like Juanes here at the Cheapthrills Cheap 20 :) La Camisa Negra was #1 song of 2005, and he's made quite a few appearances since. So when he attempted his first song in English, it was bound to raise my interest. Juanes' niche has always been Latin rock, and so this feels a little out of place for him - it is more soothing and understated. Certainly, we've been in this situation - in a situation - be it a job or a romance where things aren't miserable, but aren't a fit either, and it's time to end things. Juanes relates that painful decision - to get out before true misery sets in - cutting out the bad in order to preserve the good. There is also the wonderful line "every ending is a new beginning, but also that's the beginning of the end." It stuck with me. This song debuted the week before I graduated - a distinct end and beginning. Where would my journey next find me?
Join Cheapthrills Restaurant Survivor! Choose UKmix's 2018 menu!
Eminem fan? Check out Eminem survivor!
2017 Year-end chart: Cheap 40 of 2017
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:39 pm

#29- Ibiza '77 (Can You Feel It) - Oliver Heldens
20-20-17-15-12-9-6-5-5-6-6-7-12-15
Peak: August

Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" has been an earworm as long as I can remember - it's a song that seemed ahead of its time,foot firmly planted in the disco era, but also with an otherworldliness that suggests the electro to come in later decades. Clearly, Oliver Heldens had the same notion, and merged it with his own brand of electronica. This song was a slow burn for me, but never a burnout, and so it rose slowly in the chart, and spent much of its chart life in the middle of the top ten.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:48 pm

#28 - Pizza - Martin Garrix
12-10-7-7-6-4-6-6-9-11-15-17
Peak: October

Time for some cross-promotion - if you act now, this is a song that you can vote on in my Restaurant Survivor as today we are focusing on entrees. :) No idea why the hell Martin named this Pizza. When I heard the title, I was expecting something high energy or even Italian. But Pizza is more of a road trip type of song, and sounds almost mournful in those opening and closing notes. As the lone instrumental in the countdown, it still manages to tell a story, beginning with lonely, sad notes before enveloping the sound in a burgeoning, escalating beat and then quickly retreating at the end - perhaps a reflection of joyous times now passed. No idea what this means to Martin, though.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm

#27 - I Don't Want to Live Forever - Taylor Swift & Zayn
20-13-7-3-3-3-1-3-6-7-10-13
Peak: January

I suppose "I don't want to live forever" might be an accurate song to represent the first #1 of the Trump presidency. :lol: I guess I'm begrudgingly a Tayloo fan - she's way too calculating and seems to wrap herself up in feminism only when it benefits her, but damn if she doesn't release some good music. Until this song, Taylor had had 8 top tens without a #1, the most for a woman (Charmingly, Kanye has the most. It was so perfect to have Taylor be the female correlate!) But the weird fit with Zayn just worked - and if anything, the true reason for this songs success on my chart - already in his wheelhouse, this dark, sinister sound melds better with his persona than Taylor's and helped keep this song aloft for several weeks. The first three weeks were in December of 2016 and hence did not count toward the point total. If they were included, this song would be a few spots higher up.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:09 pm

#26 - Help Me Mama - ZZ Ward
16-16-14-12-10-6-5-3-3-4-9-16-16-20-20
Peak: January

I've been delighted to find that quite a few members on UKmix like ZZ as much as I do - she creates fun bluesy stompers like this one. Those repeated "Hep Me Mama"s in the song are like the revving of an engine, the fire that burns through the toxic relationship ZZ describes. Listen, girl, if your man thinks everything is going forward, but you are moving backwards, you don't need your mama to tell you to get hell out of there!
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Benjamin wrote:I love 'Move Your Body' - such an underrated Sia single :D This should have been huge.
Right? I hope she brings songs like this to her next album now that's she gotten Christmas out of her system.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Symphony is my favourite so far. Also a big Meteorite fan, underrated and was a big hit for me last year..
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 pm

#40 Systemagic - Goldfrapp

Great song! I've really started to enjoy Goldfrapp. I used to not enjoy their music at all...but now it's starting to click with me.

#32 - Meteorite - Years & Years

Love love love this! Glad to see it make the list!
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
Hottest Single All Stars, in the game section.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 pm

"Help Me Mama" is just okay, but "I Don't Wanna Live Forever" is brilliant. I love its sweeping chorus, Zayn's falsetto, and Taylor's Don't know if I dodged a bullet, or just lost the love of my life lyric.
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm

So many Years & Years fans - I love it! I wonder what any of you thought of Hypnotised if you heard it. It made my chart for a hot minute about a month ago, but never truly caught on with me. I am pretty sure I charted it because I was so thirsty for something new from Y&Y.

JSparks, yes, Help Me Mama was kind of a slow burner for me. But it kind of caught its groove once I started singing along with it :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:09 pm

#25 - Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift
4-9-7-4-4-3-5-8-9-10
Peak: October

The highest debut of the year went to Taylor Swift, made possible by repeated watching of the iconic video, what with the previous incarnations of Taylor both arguing amongst one another at the end and the pile of Taylors cast aside by the supposed new Taylor in the middle. This song had an unusual chart life - it never strayed below the top 10, both debuting within and crashing out from the #10 position. I have a hard time finding a song from the last five years that never dipped below the top 10 after only three weeks - I think it's been years for such a song. Anyhow, this burned on me almost instantly, but was helped along in its final weeks by its inclusion on my Halloween playlist.

I have a love-hate relationship with this song. I will say that very few in the pop world can strike up a conversational tone with their lyrics the way Taylor does, and the sinister urgent vibe of the song is pretty hypnotizing. Taylor is flawless at promotion and calculating in how she presents herself. At the same time, the title alone indicates a redirection of blame and an inability to own up to her own self-made issues. She mentions this herself at the end of the video, which, again, is clever in its calculation by mocking the accusers. But her oeuvre is iconic in lyrics as vengeance nevertheless. Also, who did not see that "because she's dead" lyric coming from a mile away? :roll:
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Goodbye For Now - Juanes

I feel like this could have been even better in Spanish, but it is a good song, it has even some folksy feel to it, very relaxing
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:27 pm

#24 - Wish I Knew You - The Revivalists
13-11-8-3-2-1-2-3-8-13-15-18
Peak: August

The Twilight Zone is known for its often weird story lines and twist endings, but one of my favorites form that old series was called Walking Distance. In it a man somehow travels back in time to the town of his youth. Along the way, he runs into his father, who recognizes his son, grown-up. There they are - father and son- both roughly the same age drinking together. I've often wondered what that would be like - to have seen my parents in the prime of their lives. And so it is with the vibe of this song.

The Revivalists crafted some jazzy orchestration behind their poignant meditation on time. In love, the singer laments the years he didn't know his current partner, reflecting on the lost time. I suppose it's a glass half empty observation - because we are all lucky in having the people we love in our life at all.
Last edited by cheapthrills on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:37 pm

#23 - The Shape of You - Ed Sheeran
12-9-5-4-3-1-3-4-6-9
Peak: April

Well, here's a song that was inescapable in 2017 - I bet none of you need to check that video out of curiosity - haha! I'm not really sure where I stand with Ed Sheeran - I've never hated his songs, but I've never gone out of my mind for them either - pleasant but forgettable. It seemed like that would happen when this released a year ago this week. I can't tell if I was finally won over by the song's lyricism and music, or I just succumbed to its popularity - because it was a good two months after the release that it finally made its appearance on my chart. I'd heard the song so many times that I was singing along with it despite myself, and generally if it's that catchy, I get compelled to chart it, and for a few weeks it was that song. It wasn't too long before I was absolutely sick of it though and within a few weeks, it had crashed out of the top 10.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:48 pm

#22 - Never Give Up - Sia
18-11-9-5-3-2-1-1-3-5-14
Peak: February

The final Sia song on the year-end chart, this hit #1 despite a competing song in the top five from Sia (Move Your Body). This song, from the Oscar-nominated Lion, seemed to win over Move Your Body because its sound was so distinct in its use of Indian strings. Along with Snowman, Sia was the only act to have two number one songs this year, a feat she accomplished with great(er) aplomb in 2016.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:56 pm

#21 - Scared to be Lonely - Martin Garrix ft. Dua Lipa
18-14-12-11-10-8-8-6-5-2-8-12-11-12-12-19
Peak: April

Scared to Be Lonely happened to surge to #2 in a particularly competitive week. Unfortunately, that meant Martin has to wait a little longer for his first #1 on the chart. SO far, other than Kanye, he has had the most top tens without a #1, and this is now his highest peak. A song about complacency in the face of failure, Dua sings of a relationship that potentially continues more out of fear of loneliness than love. A toxic relationship is the devil you know, while the sceptre of lifelong loneliness feels even more terrifying. While Help Me Mama tells a similar story, Dua sells it better - with its darker, desperate undertone and Martin's gorgeous backing. We will circle back to this song once the song that kept it from reaching the top is revealed.
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:06 pm

#36 Symphony - Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson
#35 - Move Your Body (Alan Walker remix) - Sia
#33 - Bad Liar - Selena Gomez
#32 - Meteorite - Years & Years
#31 - Woman - Kesha ft. The Dap-Kings Horns
#26 - Help Me Mama - ZZ Ward
#25 - Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift
#23 - The Shape of You - Ed Sheeran
#21 - Scared to be Lonely - Martin Garrix ft. Dua Lipa

Love your countdown so far!
"Symphony" (!!! :cry: ), "Move Your Body", "Bad Liar", "Meteorite" and "Shape Of You" are all brilliant.
Tansike
Legend

Postby croatiaxtina » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:05 pm

Scared To Be Lonely <3
croatiaxtina
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:44 pm

croatiaxtina wrote:Scared To Be Lonely <3
Yes! 8-)

They are such a perfect mix, and created such a beautiful song.
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
Hottest Single All Stars, in the game section.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby trebor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 pm

Great presentation, @cheapthrills! Really good job! :D
The Revivalists & ZZ Ward are the stand-outs! (From my perspective... 8-) )
Dread the moment already when Body Like A Back Road is revealed :lol: <3
trebor
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:01 am

Taylor definitely pulls off that conversational tone better than anyone else I know, but "Look What You Made Me Do" deserved a better chorus. The video is awesome.

Ah, the winner of the Summertime Madness tournament! "Wish I Knew You" is lovely. I added it to my playlist the first time I heard it (through the game) and it recently came up when I put my Spotify library on shuffle.

"Shape of You" won me over pretty early on. I predicted it would be a big hit, and its popularity still exceeded all my expectations. "Never Give Up" belongs to the very rare collection of Sia singles I don't like.

"Scared to Be Lonely" is terrific. I think a lot of people settle in those 'better the devil you know' situations, which is a shame. :(
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:01 pm

SummerPeur wrote:
croatiaxtina wrote:Scared To Be Lonely <3
Yes! 8-)

They are such a perfect mix, and created such a beautiful song.
I would love to see Dua work with him again!
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby Thriller » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Scared To Be Lonely grew on me so slowly but now I really enjoy it.
Thriller

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:34 pm

trebor wrote:Great presentation, @cheapthrills! Really good job! :D
The Revivalists & ZZ Ward are the stand-outs! (From my perspective... 8-) )
Dread the moment already when Body Like A Back Road is revealed :lol: <3
Thanks, trebor. Those were such great songs - I was surprised to see The Revivalists this low. I don't track my points during the year because I am always afraid it will influence my chart, and I really expected this to make the top 20.

Also Sam Hunt is flawless and you will deal :evil:

JSparksFan wrote:Ah, the winner of the Summertime Madness tournament! "Wish I Knew You" is lovely. I added it to my playlist the first time I heard it (through the game) and it recently came up when I put my Spotify library on shuffle.

"Shape of You" won me over pretty early on. I predicted it would be a big hit, and its popularity still exceeded all my expectations. "Never Give Up" belongs to the very rare collection of Sia singles I don't like.

"Scared to Be Lonely" is terrific. I think a lot of people settle in those 'better the devil you know' situations, which is a shame. :(
I totally forgot The Revivalists won Summertime Madness :o Be on the lookout for March Madness when that happens :) I was probably too harsh in my write up of Shape of You - I really do like that song; it's just like anything else that gets overplayed.

I've found myself in that situation too - heck I think I'm in it now with my work. Just too comfortable in my situation to take a risk and change things up.
cheapthrills
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts