Cheapthrills' Cheap 40 - Top 40 Songs of 2017 | COMPLETED

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:48 pm

#20 - Attention - Charlie Puth
20-18-16-14-11-10-10-8-8-6-9-4-2-4-8-13-12-12-still charting
Peak: December

I don't think any song too longer to grow on me than Attention. Even once I charted it, I didn't expect it to go top ten, and then it managed to contend for #1. It might have even been #1 if it hadn't peaked just as I was moving to my Christmas playlist. Part of the bias is that I hadn't liked what Charlie had put out in previous singles - I mean a song only needs so much falsetto, Charlie! But his voice managed to be the thing that drew me in here - especially that money moment where he keeps his voice just shy of cracking during the line "when you were mine", pauses, sighs, and then brings it home for the big finish.

This song is still hanging there in the current Cheap 20 and likely would finish a few ranks higher if his entire chart path were to be included. It is currently at #12.
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournamentr!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:12 pm

#19 - The Cure - Lady Gaga
10-3-3-4-3-1-1-4-6-8-11-16
Peak: May

I'll be forever mystified why this wasn't promoted seriously. Gaga was everywhere at the beginning of the year - Grammys, Oscars, Super Bowl. The Super Bowl did wonders for Gaga, and Million Reasons even made the top five in a year where pop girls struggled. Then she did a video for John Wayne - she promoted the video following the Super Bowl and everything, but that wasn't treated as the next Joanne single either. The Cure was a one-off for Coachella and it immediately, without promotion did well enough to hit the top 40. It was all very frustrating as an avid fan, but perhaps also proof that Gaga seems unconcerned with her chart fortunes.

The Cure seemed to be a love it or hate it moment for her fans - some felt it was a sell-out, or too generic. Obviously, I didn't agree. For one, knowing the background as an ode to her dying friend. I find this song inordinately touching. I think this shows the natural progression Gaga might have taken had she continued purely with dance music. But Gaga has shown what a chameleon she is - moving in recent years from Bowie to Metallica to Tony Bennett to dance pop to Sound of Music - she is a national treasure. <3
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm

#18 - Rockabye - Clean Bandit ft. Anne-Marie and Sean Paul
18-17-8-5-1-1-1-1-4-6-6-9-13-19
Peak: March

I expected this to finish top 10 - I thought I kept it in my chart much longer. I know for the UK this hit big in 2016, but it didn't debut on my chart until the new year and while it wasn't instant love, it was not long before the song resonated with me. Parenting just isn't a sexy topic for a song 0 it's more interesting to hear about all the myriad complications of love. Even though this song was directed at a single mom, it was a nice shout-out to the hard work we do as single parents. It is amazing the antipathy single parents receive so anything that treats the topic with respect is something to cherish. Not to mention we get the bright voice of Anne-Marie with the combination of Sean Paul's Caribbean soul in a dance song - how can you not love that?

I will say Sean Paul's random "daily struggle" shout is pretty cringe though. :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:40 pm

#17 - Faith - Stevie Wonder ft. Ariana Grande
20-17-8-6-4-3-2-2-3-6-9-11-11-11-15-19
Peak: February

If you followed my chart when it debuted on here a year ago, you might have gotten tired of the fact that soundtrack singles dominated the early months of the year. It seems to happen every January that a soundtrack song or two hit the top five and even #1 (as we saw with Meteorite). But this year, it was a little out of control - songs from Fifty Shades Darker, Hidden Figures, Lion, La La Land all were int he top ten at once along with this song. This was from the eminently disappointing animated movie Sing, and pulled Stevie Wonder of all people out of the woodwork and paired with iconic voice with Ariana. He hadn't appeared on an official single yet this decade, yet he sounded fresh as ever (even though he was 66 at this time last year). In any case, this song is eminently singable, and when a song manages to get me in car karaoke mode, it tends to have a bright future on my chart.

This song debuted in the closing weeks of December 2016. If those two weeks had been added, the song would have finished one spot higher. Instead, it goes to a song that passed it up in the second to last week of 2017...
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:53 pm

#16 - Love So Soft - Kelly Clarkson
17-14-11-10-7-5-8-7-8-7-3-3-2-4-16-18-18-still charting
Peak: December

Love So Soft has the longest climb to its peak out of any song this year, which is strange because I don't feel like the song had to grow on me. It had an erratic path on the chart, vacillating in the lower half of the top ten before exploding into the top five and staying there for a month. My car karaoke game was strong then! And then it crashed out of the top ten with a 12 point drop as Christmas music took over the chart. Without that drop and with it still charting, the song could have very well have made the top ten.

I feel like Kelly's voice is taken for granted - she does some alarming vocal gymnastics on this song, but it failed to catch fire anywhere - just another tragic tale in the year that ate female pop singers :cry:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:17 am

I'm not that impressed with "Attention". It's probably his third best single, though, after "We Don't Talk Anymore," and "Marvin Gaye".

I've said it at least a dozen times, but the big selling point of "The Cure" is Gaga's voice. She's supremely underrated as a vocalist, and the earnestness expressed in "The Cure" - coupled with knowledge of the back-story - makes it a tough appeal to resist. When we consider that she's called herself 'Mother Monster' pretty early on, her pledge to do everything within her power to help 'fix' someone and be there for them is a message that I believe extends to her 'monsters'. #pawsupmoment

Ah, "Rockabye". I discovered it late in 2016, so it was a super late addition to my year-end list then. I definitely 'under-ranked' it; it was #36, when it should have been a clear Top 10 pick. It would have made my Top 5 in 2017 if I had waited to include it then. *Sigh* Anyway, my mis-rank aside, this song is a huge anthem. As the beneficiary of all the love and sacrifice of a single parent, "Rockabye" is a song that definitely pulls at my heartstrings. I've seen the way single mothers devote so much of their time and energy into raising their kids, and, like you mentioned, it's unheralded heroics. I actually like Sean Paul's daily struggle injection because I think single parenting is just that!

"Love So Soft" is funky, sassy, soulful, eclectic, sensual - Adam has referred to it as a maturer sound for Kelly, and I'm inclined to agree with him. It was #16 on my year-end list, coincidentally.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:55 pm

^ Thank you for what you posted :)

Songs that came out at year-end is always tricky. I kind of do that myself - between less tiem to accrue points and the CHristmas song rush, songs often get screwed if they peak in December (kind of what happened to Kelly).
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:02 pm

#15 - Love on the Brain - Rihanna
12-9-7-1-1-1-2-2-7-7-7-9-12-17
Peak: February

Rihanna has been a consistent presence on my chart since her debut so many years ago with Pon De Replay - with this song, she became the female with the most top 10 songs to chart. Despite having many songs chart, I can't remember ever loving a Rihanna song as much as this one. With its throwback 50s doo-wop, it was a sound I never expected from her, but she just melted into the odd cadence of the song,
describing the obsession of frustration within her relationship. RIhanna is so hit and miss for me - some songs sound completely phoned in,
but she is gorgeous and ever-present on this one.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:10 pm

#14 - Here Come The Girls - Trombone Shorty
18-13-5-4-1-1-2-2-1-6-8-11-17
Peak: August

Music that seems more befitting for a marching band before a football game (in fact, he ended up doing a "Here Come the Boys" version for the baseball season. :) ). This song nevertheless caught my attention when Trombone Shorty sang it on a late night show. Apparently, Trombone has been around for many years, but I'd never heard anything by him until this and this seemed like a great vehicle for someone with his horn skills. It wasn't until it was midway through its chart run that I realized that this was a cover of a 60s song by an artist called Ernie K-Doe. The horns are so exuberant, it just felt right as a summertime anthem. It got some major play over Labor Day that allowed it to temporarily return to #1 before it made a steady descent.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:21 pm

#13 - Venus Fly - GRIMES ft. Janelle Monae
18-15-12-9-7-6-5-5-6-4-1-1-2-8-12-17
Peak: May

I usually think of a Venus Fly trap as something that might be alluring, but damaging (well, fatal, really). But it seems the message here is the opposite. Janelle wants to be anything but alluring to men that ascribe beauty as a way to objectify. She hypothesizes a life without teeth, hair, and pearls scattered across the floor in an attempt to shirk from pervy on-lookers. If there's anythign alluring in ll this, it's Janelle's clipped, hostile phrasing against GRIMES' electronified shrilsl and clicks - it's all very trippy and unusual and completely listenable.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:31 pm

#12 - Amárrame - Mon Laferte ft. Juanes
7-5-2-1-2-2-2-3-3-2-6-12-17
Peak: June

Wow, I just found out these two are touring together in the US this spring by googling the video! How exciting! I think these two are dating, btu maybe that's just wishful thinking because they harmonize so beautifully on this song - and in nice gender twist, it feels like Mon Laferte's voice is the raspy counter to Juanes' smooth delivery - ugh, they better be dating - they would have amazing children!

Uh, in any case, this song was one of three songs this year that I charted that I also submit to FSC. I think this one finished somewhere in the upper half - but whatever, they don't know what they are missing. Have I mentioned the beautiful harmonizing??? This was one of my most played tracks of the year, and it stayed aloft in top 2 for six weeks, though it was only #1 for one of them.

That one week was iconic though because Juanes was also at #2 with his "Goodbye For Now" He had the unusual situation of having the top two songs - a very rare feat in its own - but unique in that he was singing two different languages between those songs.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby trebor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:32 pm

Quite pleased to see Trombone Shorty! charting!
Last edited by trebor on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
trebor
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:24 pm

#11 - 1-800-273-8255 - Logic ft. Alessia Cara and Khalid
20-15-12-9-5-4-3-3-3-2-2-2-4-6--11-11-11-13-16-still charting
Peak: October

Logic has a history of tackling social issues in song - one of my favorites is called Black Superman - a song that rails against racism. (The title is a reference to the conceit that so many superheroes are white and the lack of minority representation there.)

I can't think of a song that was more impactful than this one in 2017. Logic tells the story of the suicidal and- tries to get into the head of those facing depression. Alessia has the most life-affirming lyric - describing the first moments from getting out from under that depression, and Khalid brings it home by describing the continued path away from suicide - it's an entire journey narrated in five minutes, and Logic apparently succeeded in understanding their pain. Calls to national suicide hotline jumped as a result of this song, and hopefully this song was an important reminder to reach out to those who may be depressed and and remind them that it doesn't have to mean the end of everything.
Last edited by cheapthrills on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:41 pm

"Love on the Brain" is terrific. You wouldn't think that Rihanna could pull off a song like that, but she does a great job. I do wonder sometimes, though, what a Beyoncé interpretation would sound like.

I love the message of "1-800-273-8255," and I'm grateful that the song has impacted so many people in such a positive way, but I can't seem to connect to it for some reason. The whole thing falls flat to me, which is weird because, thematically, it's the kind of song that's right up my musical alley.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:30 am

LOTB is 2016 for me but doesn't stop it being a vocal career highlight for Rihanna! Such a tragedy it wasn't properly pushed as a single as it's stunning.
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:37 am

1-800-273-8255 - Logic ft. Alessia Cara and Khalid

Good music video, great message, but the song itself is a bit underwhelming.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:58 pm

#20 - Attention - Charlie Puth
#19 - The Cure - Lady Gaga
#18 - Rockabye - Clean Bandit ft. Anne-Marie and Sean Paul
#16 - Love So Soft - Kelly Clarkson
#15 - Love on the Brain - Rihanna
#13 - Venus Fly - GRIMES ft. Janelle Monae

Great Top20 so far! Love "Venus Fly"; "Rockabye" and "The Cure" are really strong too! :)
Didn't expect LOTB to be so high, wow... but well deserved, obviously 8-)
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:02 am

trebor wrote:Quite pleased to see Trombone Shorty! charting!
He was a fun discovery this year. It's always crazy when you discover an artist that has been around for years.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:04 am

JSparksFan wrote:I love the message of "1-800-273-8255," and I'm grateful that the song has impacted so many people in such a positive way, but I can't seem to connect to it for some reason. The whole thing falls flat to me, which is weird because, thematically, it's the kind of song that's right up my musical alley.
heppolo wrote:1-800-273-8255 - Logic ft. Alessia Cara and Khalid

Good music video, great message, but the song itself is a bit underwhelming.
Could it be its length? The song kind of goes on, so that each artist has their story to tell. It can be kind of overwhelming, particularly given the topic.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 am

Thriller wrote:LOTB is 2016 for me but doesn't stop it being a vocal career highlight for Rihanna! Such a tragedy it wasn't properly pushed as a single as it's stunning.
JSparksFan wrote:"Love on the Brain" is terrific. You wouldn't think that Rihanna could pull off a song like that, but she does a great job. I do wonder sometimes, though, what a Beyoncé interpretation would sound like.
It was completely messy :evil: I can't believe they paid dust to such a beautiful song. It's interesting though - Billboard recently published a story on its influence, and I would be thrilled to see songs like this become a trend.

And thanks Tansike - I sure played the heck out of those songs this past year.

By the way, I intend to wrap this end over the next three days - had a very busy weekend and wasn't able to post - oh well, I guess it's some added drama for the top ten :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 am

'Attention', 'The Cure' and 'Love So Soft' are nice.
Rihanna's 'Love On The Brain' was one of the highlights on 'ANTI'.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:21 am

'Love On The Brain' ended careers, definitely one of Ri Ri's best!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:51 pm

#10 - It Ain't Me - Kygo ft. Selena Gomez
10-6-5-3-1-1-3-4-6-9-10-10-13-18-20-20-20
Peak: April

It Ain't Me - at least until this week - was tied for most weeks in the top 20 in the past year. AS you can see it peaked quickly and then refused to die, which is the opposite of what most #1s do. I thought this would place top 5, but those last few weeks were weeks it barely hung in the list. Look, I know Selena is never going to be an Adele (but who is) - even Demi Lovato (not a fave) has a more assured voice, but Selena picks songs that work really well for her - songs that require a light touch, a sense of danger that keeps a voice fragile and insecure - and for all the chopping up Kygo does with her voice on the chorus, it still comes across.

It Ain't Me starts with a dream, but that seems to spill over into real life as Selena has had it with a partner who can't seem to bring himself out of addiction. She is done with the 4AM pick-up calls and co-dependence in general and she is moving on. The song received so much play from me even after I stopped charting it that it was #1 on my year-end Spotify list.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:00 pm

#9 - Havana - Camila Cabello ft. Young Thug
18-17-14-13-13-10-9-8-4-7-5-3-2-2-5-6-12-18-14-17-17- still charting
Peak: November

Havana squeaks into the top ten in the closing weeks of 2017 and would probably have made the top five if we counted it's spillover 2018 weeks. THIS is now the song that has spent the most weeks (21) in the top 20 over the past year - as of this week. The song took thirteen (!)
weeks to reach it's peak. Her single prior to this, Crying in the Club, peaked at #5 and at one point, I thought Havana would not even outpeak that. But something happened along the way - the song's seductive Latin beat entranced me, and Young Thug's part because one of my favorite featured appearances of the year. Plus, you know it mentions how Jeffrey just graduated and my name is Jeff, and I just graduated from my master's program in May! :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Biebz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Awesome countdown, love many of the recent songs. The Cure is one of the best songs Gaga has done in agessss! Venus Fly is one of my least favourites on the album to be honest but I still think its a brilliant song - shows just how amazing the album is. 'It Ain't Me' is incredible, one of the best dance songs of the decade!
Oh god miss u on my lips, It’s me ur little Venice bitchhhh
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Return to Year End Personal Charts