Cheapthrills' Cheap 40 - Top 40 Songs of 2017 | COMPLETED

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 pm

#8 - Bodak Yellow - Cardi B
18-15-10-9-8-5-4-3-1-1-2-2-3-6-14-18-18
Peak: September

This song sure took it's sweet time once it hit #1. It also spent a week in almost every position in the top 10! It spent about as much time climbing as descending though because I simply could not get enough of this song. "I'm in a good place right now and I want to stun," Cardi B explained to Billboard. (Billboard, I think she said stunt, btw). Well, she sure stunned - only the second female rapper to hit #1 unaccompanied (the first was Lauryn Hill nearly twenty years ago, and she sang on her song as well as rapped).

This rap cruises on Cardi's personality - she tells her story of rising up - no more dancing, she's legit working to get her money. She's deservedly proud of her accomplishments and takes down anyone who thinks less of her or her success. notwithstanding jealous bitches who could only hope to fix their teeth or be paid to appear at clubs. It couldn't have been a better opening salvo, and 2018 is already starting to look like her year.
Last edited by cheapthrills on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's time for the 2000-2009 Female-Led Singles Countdown!
and my Top 100 Artists countdown!
More? How about a survivor based on a countdown?
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:43 pm

you've embedded the wrong music video though
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:00 pm

heppolo wrote:you've embedded the wrong music video though
It's totally the right video. What are you even talking about :wink:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:03 pm

cheapthrills wrote:
heppolo wrote:you've embedded the wrong music video though
It's totally the right video. What are you even talking about :wink:
This is the only right video for all of the Cardi B stuff (she's funny though)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:59 pm

^WTH

OK, that's enough internet for me today.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:22 am

You did a great job of highlighting It Ain't Me's strengths, but the song is still a bit too light for me to get into.

Congrats on graduating! I think Young Thug's contribution to "Havana" is unnecessary. I prefer the solo version. For me, "Havana" is one of the catchiest songs ever. Its hook is lethal, the Latin instrumental sensual and seductive, and Camila, quite shockingly, rather confidently surfs the beat like a pro.

I think seeing "Bodak Yellow" ascend to #1 in the US was one of my favourite moments last year. So many people close to me relished in the song's success; it felt like a huge celebratory week its first week at the top. I agree that the song is built on Cardi B's personality. Her back-story makes you step back and admire her dedication to achieving her dreams, and I think people who don't 'get' hip/hop will write this off as trite trap with no identifiable hook - as if every song needs a hook - but I considered it the genesis of something special - the first home run from the next prominent female emcee.
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 am

#10 - It Ain't Me - Kygo ft. Selena Gomez

Standout song for me TBH. Don't really rate to many of those after it :(
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:39 am

Biebz wrote:Awesome countdown, love many of the recent songs. The Cure is one of the best songs Gaga has done in agessss! Venus Fly is one of my least favourites on the album to be honest but I still think its a brilliant song - shows just how amazing the album is. 'It Ain't Me' is incredible, one of the best dance songs of the decade!
Thanks Biebz - so glad to hear other people loved It Ain't Me as much as I - it was a mild obsession with me this year. :)

I should have charted more Grimes.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:30 pm

#7 Body Like a Back Road - Sam Hunt
20-15-13-13-13-10-8-4-2-2-2-2-2-3-4-7-12
Peak: April

It's the song trebor has been waiting for! Aren't you excited, trebor :lol:

Yes, Sam Hunt is one of my guilty pleasures; hes just so damn easy on the eyes. He is a country artist who half the country listeners don't believe should even be classified as a country artist, but whatever - he doesn't fit into the pop genre cleanly either. In any case, despite the unfortunate title, this song managed to be the most popular country song of the year on Billboard and my chart. This was Sam Hunt's 4th entry in the top ten, and I really thoguht it would make it to #1. It sure hung in there trying - five weeks at #2 without going to #1 is the most in years, but it couldn't quite drag itself across the finish line. The two songs that held it out - The Cure and Venus Fly - didn't make the top ten at year-end though, so who has the last laugh now, right, Sam?

As for the song, well, ok, on the face of it, telling someone there body looks like a beat-up old road is probably not a compliment. But he means it in the best way, people! He's talking about enjoying the scenery, lingering on the curves, taking in the beauty - maybe the title should be "Driving Up Your Back Road" - hmmm, no that doesn't work either...
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:47 pm

"Body Like a Back Road" is meh for me. I don't mind it, but there were definitely better country songs in 2017, even if it was a weak year for the genre.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:47 pm

#6 New Rules - Dua Lipa
19-15-13-9-7-4-3-3-3-3-2-3-4-6-9-13-17-20-19-20

My top two artists of 2016 - Sia (#1) and Dua (#2). This year, they flip flop, even though Dua chart-wise had a successful run of three #1s in 2016 and none in 2017. Dua had three songs peak inside the top three though, and they lasted a long time.

I think this might be the most popular song in my top ten with UKmix? Until Havana this week, New Rules and It Ain't Me were tied for longest charting song of 2017. The song took just as long to leave the chart as to ascend it. Unfortunately, it reached its peak against a song that ended up even higher than it in the year-end. This song is the highest ranked song in the year-end that did not hit #1.

Anyhow, how cute is this song - a few years ago, I was in the midst of dating a guy - OMG, I loved him - we dated for a few months before he completely ghosted me upon leaving town. Dick. I reconnected with him on social media about two years later, and had moved myself. I convinced him to come live with me and after two months of that, he ghosted me again! :evil: If only I had Dua's rules to live by at the time. "If you're under him, you're not getting over him" - is so TRUE! :evil:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 pm

#5 Alone - Alan Walker
19-11-9--6-5-4-4-4-2-2-1-2-4-7-14-17-18-19-20

Last year, Faded, ended up as the #6 song at year-end, and this year he goes one better. He and Dua are the only ones to repeat. Last year, I was shocked Faded didn't finish higher. This year, I'm shocked he finished so high. It was helped along by a length stay in the top five, and a slow descent.

Anyhow, remember way back when Scared to be Lonely was on this year-end and I said we'd circle back? It was because this is the song that blocked it from #1. Until I did this year-end, I didn't think about that odd coincidence. Alone could almost be a sequel to Scared from the lyrics. Both are odes to the fear of loneliness with a major difference. in Scared, it was about staying in a safe relationship to avoid loneliness; in Alone, it's merely the pretense of a relationship that the singer craves at least for the one night. There's still the hopeful "if" in "if this night is not forever," but from the tone, it's sadly optimistic.

There's another option, people - learn to be happy with your own company! Having a man does not complete you. You are already complete! Ugh, I need to be these women's life coach or something.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby trebor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm

cheapthrills wrote:]It's the song trebor has been waiting for! Aren't you excited, trebor :lol:
Yes, on nails; Just lovely! 8-) At least it didn't make #1 in your weekly chart. There's even an official live version available:

trebor
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Yeah, more than just being a catchy pop song, "New Rules" gives good advice. "Alone" isn't bad.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm

JSparksFan wrote:You did a great job of highlighting It Ain't Me's strengths, but the song is still a bit too light for me to get into.

Congrats on graduating! I think Young Thug's contribution to "Havana" is unnecessary. I prefer the solo version. For me, "Havana" is one of the catchiest songs ever. Its hook is lethal, the Latin instrumental sensual and seductive, and Camila, quite shockingly, rather confidently surfs the beat like a pro.

I think seeing "Bodak Yellow" ascend to #1 in the US was one of my favourite moments last year. So many people close to me relished in the song's success; it felt like a huge celebratory week its first week at the top. I agree that the song is built on Cardi B's personality. Her back-story makes you step back and admire her dedication to achieving her dreams, and I think people who don't 'get' hip/hop will write this off as trite trap with no identifiable hook - as if every song needs a hook - but I considered it the genesis of something special - the first home run from the next prominent female emcee.
I loved seeing how the rap community rallied around the moment - because it has taken too damn long for a female rapper to be back in that #1 spot. And I love the lack of hook, it makes the whole thing feel like it's building throughout. I really hope she helps usher in an era of women in rap because its a notoriously sexist genre.

Thanks for the congrats! :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:06 pm

trebor wrote:
cheapthrills wrote:]It's the song trebor has been waiting for! Aren't you excited, trebor :lol:
Yes, on nails; Just lovely! 8-) At least it didn't make #1 in your weekly chart. There's even an official live version available:
:lol:

The live version is worthless without him being shirtless :evil:

Sorry this is my lone representative country choice - you'll have to make some recommendations in the coming year. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby trebor » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 pm

^^
:lol: Didn't know that such things existed (will not comment) but here you go!

This poser is handled as the next big thing and place holder while Sam is not releasing music. (Warning!: It's horrendous)

trebor
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:55 pm

OK, sometimes looks alone aren't enough, I guess :lol:

I'll post the final four now. :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 pm

#4 Despacito - Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee & Justin Bieber
14-10-7-5-4-3-3-1-1-1-1-1-5-12-19-18
Peak: June

Nope - not my #1, though it certainly looked like it would be at the time. All of the remaining songs spent ten weeks in the top five, but this one had a lengthy stay at the top. It actually knocked off another song in Spanish to get to #1 (Amarrame) - the first time consecutive #1 songs were in different languages.

Anyhow, gosh, this song really took over the world last summer didn't it? Justin Bieber's inclusion shot the song into the stratosphere in the US, allowing it to tie the record for most weeks at #1. The original video starting at the ocean, the idea of doing anything slowly, the entire Latin-ness of the song - could there have been something more appropriate for a summer song? So many memories of the season were built with this song in the background.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 pm

#3 Electric Love - Serena Ryder
19-19-18-9-8-5-5-4-5-5-2-2-1-1-5-9-12-17
Peak: July

On UKmix, this song has a clai to fame for me - it won me the Eurovision contest for the first (and likely only) time. It was exciting as up until then I hadn't even had a song finish in the upper half.

Anyhow, in a year in which I continued my love affair with Sia, Dua, Selena, and Camila, it ends up being Serena who is the highest performing woman in the year-end. That it beat Despacito is a huge surprise since I didn't realize the song held so long in the top ten prior to hitting #1. Serena has always been someone whose voice and music I liked but I always discovered her music way after it was released until this one. There's kind of a bluesy rasp to her voice that melds well with pop.

I love the "squeaky" opening of this song, I don't know why - it just seems to set the stage for a story about to be told :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:40 pm

#2 - The Underside of Power - Algiers
11-8-3-3-3-2-1-1-2-1-1-5-9-12-17
Peak: August

My top two songs both end up being songs that are exercises in political defiance and we need a lot of that these days here when we have somehow elected a government that has so little regard for the poor and so little conscience for the spectre of -isms - ableism, racism, sexism, and the like. There's been a startling lack of music in this past year that seeks to address these inequities. So polarized are factions with the country that profit outweighs the risk.

Under the gloomy guitar and drums, past the despairing howl in this song, there lies hope that this too shall pass/ - "One daya change is gonna come - I've seen the underside of power. It's a game that cant go on."This odd mix of rock and 60s r&b works just fine with this anti-Establishment anthem - noisy, brash, and heartfelt, its one of the most thought-provoking releases of the year.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 pm

#1 Feel It Still - Portugal the Man
18-13-11-10-9-8-5-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-4-8-15
Peak: October

This song was a powerhouse on my chart - most weeks at #1 (7) in 2017 and most weeks in the top ten (14). It peaked late in the year, which usually hinders a high placement at year-end. Only one song (Hey Ya) has ever peaked later than Feel It Still, and managed to capture the #1 song of the year.

I first added this song to my eclipse mix (because the word eclipse is in the lyrics - I know, it was quite a stretch). At first, this was just a song I casually listened to on my drive to Wyoming got see the eclipse. But it become an earworm for me in September, and I looked it up online. When I read the meaning behind the lyrics, it made me love the song all the more. Already, in a frame of mind from the Algiers song, Feel It Still spoke to the frustration and helplessness I've been feeling with the current administration.

This song addresses is emotions resulting from Bernie Sanders' 2016 campaign - that he unleashed a palpable energy in young Democrats and then, we weren't able to follow-up on that energy with action. The shocking Trump win made that seem unattainable. But these lyrics are addressed to the plenty of us who "feel it still," - that there is still plenty of capacity for positive change. As this year goes on, I think our voices will be heard even louder.

Thank you to those who followed along with the top 40. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did posting it.
Last edited by cheapthrills on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby trebor » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 pm

^^ Wrong video!

The Top 3 is outstanding and this just when I thought you were so mainstream. I really have to apologize to you!
Great tracks and particularly Algiers getting so much love is fantastic!
We are probably the only two here who can enjoy "Despacito", so: yeah!

Thanks for the countdown! Here's to 2018!
trebor
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 am

LOL, I love that it has been like that for a day and no one pointed it out until now.

I think we are alone in our love for Despacito - I have to think there are some closet supporters here though - how else could it have been such a massive success :)

I wanted to enter that Algiers song for FSC, but getting the US is impossible. I hope people give it a listen. Algiers is a really stunning and inventive band. I'm so glad to know you like them!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:18 am

Great #1, it's sooo catchy!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts