JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:51 am

48. Astrid S - Think before i talk

I've got a soft spot for scandinavian female pop acts and at #48 its Norway's Astrid S who scored a #3 hit with the blissful pop gem Think before i talk.

What makes this song all the more impressive? It gave Astrid S her first #1 in Norway after a string of top 10 singles. I did get a tiny bit excited when i was flicking through the music channels around September time and Think before i talk was played on MTV. My initial thought was that the record company were planning on pushing this single here in the UK. Sadly nothing became of it and as far as i'm aware this song has remained relatively anonymous ever since. Maybe 2018 will be the year Astrid S gets her big breakthrough in the UK charts.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:10 am

47. Lady Gaga - John Wayne

After the amazing success of Million reasons in 2016, Lady Gaga opted for a change of pace when John Wayne was chosen as the third single to be released from Joanne.

When the music video was released in February, i couldn't believe it. Lady Gaga really went all out bringing the bonkers nature that people had come to expect when Bad romance and Telephone were dominating the charts. The impact was strong enough that John Wayne took advantage of a relatively quiet week and was poised to take the #1 spot that Saturday. In the end John Wayne had to settle for #2 thanks to Katy Perry winning me over with an adorable hamster. :lol:

As for Lady Gaga she would be back with a vengeance a couple of months later. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:32 am

46. Friðrik Dór - Hringd’í mig

Time for some icelandic pop from Friðrik Dór with the irresistibly catchy Hringd’í mig. A track that heppolo introduced to me from his own daily personal chart. Let's see how the song fared over in his top 100 of 2017:

heppolo wrote:#98 Friðrik Dór - Hringd'í mig
Playful electropop from Iceland. A creative music video with tumblr feel. A modern sound. A FSC participant
<3 Whilst #98 might not seem that great, this was out of an average of 3000 different tracks charting daily throughout the year so an excellent result. :D

I thought this particular track sounded promising on first listen and it quickly became one of those tracks i was drawn towards going back for repeated listens. There was something about his vocals that i found incredibly sexy, in particularly the chorus. :wink:

I successfully entered Friðrik Dór into the 122nd FSC and was gobsmacked when Hringd’í mig finished second but i was delighted to see many others also enjoying this track. Friðrik also enjoyed a decent run in my chart peaking at #3 in July. I don't even think heppolo was prepared for such domination. :lol: :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 am

45. Lana Del Rey - 13 beaches

The second track from Lana Del Rey to make its appearance is the outstandingly beautiful 13 beaches. After buying Lust for life, it was this track that struck the biggest chord with me, standing out instantly and was quite comfortably my favourite from all the album tracks. Those strings. :cry:

What i especially loved about 13 beaches was how it harked back to early Lana Del Rey with songs such as Video games and Born to die. I was already a big Lana Del Rey fan back then and i've always been fascinated by Lana's music, style and individuality.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:58 am

44. Khalid - Young dumb & broke

Khalid gets his second entry at #44 with Young, dumb & broke.

It's extraordinary to think that all it took was his feature on Logic's excellent #1 single 1-800-273-8255 to really make me pay more attention to his other tracks. By the end of September, Khalid became a major dominant force in my chart when three singles associated with Khalid were inside my top 5. An impressive achievement for a newcomer. Whilst Silence (#57) peaked at #4, Young, dumb & broke went one better peaking at #3. Admittedly both songs were overshadowed by Logic's track which i was loving so much more at the time, but regardless Khalid had made his impact.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:16 pm

43. Paloma Faith - Crybaby

Paloma Faith made a triumphant return in 2017 scoring her first ever UK #1 album with The Architect. Crybaby was chosen as the lead single to introduce the new album campaign, but i've still not had chance to check out the rest of the album previews on iTunes. :oops:

Crybaby got off to a good start entering my chart at #14 but it was the release of the music video a couple of weeks later that really helped boost the song. I'm still unsure exactly what the storyline is behind the video but it sure makes for interesting viewing. As for the song, i already liked Crybaby anyways but it became one of those songs that i loved more, the more i listened to the track. After downloading the track on iTunes, Paloma rocketed up to #2 in my chart becoming her highest charting single since Sigma's Changing topped my chart in 2014.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:26 pm

42. Sigrid - Strangers

At #42 it's BBC's sound of 2018 winner Sigrid. :D

When i read about this last Friday i was absolutely thrilled for Sigrid. I honestly didn't think i'd see Sigrid winning purely because i expected a british act to win.

I first heard Strangers when Sigrid performed on Sounds like Friday night just before christmas and i was loving the song on first listen. I just love how unashamedly pop this song is, and this morning Strangers was at #3 on UK iTunes. Granted download sales are pitiful these days but its great to see Sigrid getting some form of success and recognition. We just need Spotify to do the same thing but i won't hold my breath. :roll: :(

Strangers has remained firmly in the upper reaches of my weekly chart since entering in early December, and has even returned to my top 5 as of yesterday. :D I would be ecstatic if Strangers could be the sound of 2018. I'd be in pure pop heaven if more acts released songs like this in 2018. <3

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:44 pm

41. Kendrick Lamar - HUMBLE.

Prior to 2017, my only real knowledge of Kendrick Lamar stemmed from a number of features on some of my favourite pop orientated hits including Bad blood, Freedom and The greatest.

However, Kendrick Lamar released his critically acclaimed fourth studio album DAMN. in April and his impact was hard. HUMBLE. was the first single released from the album and i watched the music video moreso out of curiosity more than anything else.

As stupid as this sounds, i actually preferred the censored version with slightly different lyrics that MTV played. Still, i found HUMBLE. such an endearing song, it was just one of those songs i was fascinated with. Plus, all the visual elements displayed throughout the music video only added to my interest in the track with strong references to religion and american pop culture.

JakeP
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:26 pm

13 Beaches is epic. Should've been the lead single.

Sigrid is a fresh new star, one of Paloma's best tracks there.
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:05 pm

46. Friðrik Dór - Hringd’í mig
We have 1 top 100 entry in common, good times.
Maybe if this appeared some 7-8 years ago, it could have bypassed the language barrier and get some promo overseas.

The fact of the matter is that the end result could have been different as the beats (with that piano hook) were made for an entirely different artist initially. But Kendrick heard it first and jumped on the chance to make it his own.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:26 pm

I almost included "John Wayne" among my year-end songs list. In the end, I decided it wasn't enough of a single to warrant inclusion. Then I included Katy Perry's "Roulette". #inconsistentrules #teachmedua

"13 Beaches" is good, and a stand-out album track for me as well. "Young Dumb & Broke" isn't anything special, but I like it still. "Crybaby" didn't do much for me. Paloma's had far better singles ("Picking Up the Pieces" and "Only Love Can Hurt Like This" to name two).

"Humble" was a big cultural moment, but I think the song (and Kendrick, tbh) is a bit overrated.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Thriller wrote:13 Beaches is epic. Should've been the lead single.

Sigrid is a fresh new star, one of Paloma's best tracks there.
Oh i totally agree about 13 beaches. Not that it was ever destined to be a global smash but it would've been lovely for this track to have its own official music video. <3

Sigrid is owning it right now. I wasn't that fussed over Don't kill my vibe and i hope they don't re-release that song as it'd seem like a cop out. I'm intrigued by what else Sigrid has to offer. Crybaby is amazing, quite comfortably her biggest hit in my chart since Paloma topped my chart with Changing.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 pm

heppolo wrote:46. Friðrik Dór - Hringd’í mig
We have 1 top 100 entry in common, good times.
Maybe if this appeared some 7-8 years ago, it could have bypassed the language barrier and get some promo overseas.

The fact of the matter is that the end result could have been different as the beats (with that piano hook) were made for an entirely different artist initially. But Kendrick heard it first and jumped on the chance to make it his own.
Hmm as much as i'd love to think that could've been possible, i doubt Friðrik Dór would've ever had radio support. The only way he would get success in the UK would be from releasing an english language version of the track, kinda like the situation with Christine & The Queens.

I never even knew that about HUMBLE. :o Do you know who the song was originally intended for?
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I almost included "John Wayne" among my year-end songs list. In the end, I decided it wasn't enough of a single to warrant inclusion. Then I included Katy Perry's "Roulette". #inconsistentrules #teachmedua

"13 Beaches" is good, and a stand-out album track for me as well. "Young Dumb & Broke" isn't anything special, but I like it still. "Crybaby" didn't do much for me. Paloma's had far better singles ("Picking Up the Pieces" and "Only Love Can Hurt Like This" to name two).

"Humble" was a big cultural moment, but I think the song (and Kendrick, tbh) is a bit overrated.
:lol: Inconsistency rules. :P I thought John Wayne was an official single hence the music video. Now had Roulette been given a music video, chances are that song might've fared better in my chart.

13 beaches is sublime and the best track i discovered off the album. I know 2017 was awash with US rap and r'n'b but there was something about Khalid's hit that appealed to me. Aww, i love Crybaby so much even if it never topped my chart. For me personally i'd rank this song higher than the two tracks you mentioned. :P

HUMBLE. was so captivating. The music video really helped boost the song for me though.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:54 pm

^The beat of HUMBLE. was originally intended for a Gucci Mane track.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 pm

40. Ofenbach vs. Nick Waterhouse - Katchi

Ofenbach had an impressive year scoring two #2 singles in my chart. Katchi is the first of those tracks to appear here at #40. The original version performed by US singer/songwriter Nick Waterhouse is such a joyous uplifting track. Ofenbach transformed the song with a feel good dance makeover which provided the guys with another big hit in November.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 pm

heppolo wrote:^The beat of HUMBLE. was originally intended for a Gucci Mane track.
Ahh ok.

In that case Kendrick Lamar did the right thing. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:24 pm

39. Lorde - Green light

Lorde returned with her eagerly anticipated second studio album Melodrama. Prior to 2017, Lorde's most successful hit in my chart was the Disclosure collaboration Magnets in 2015.

However, that all changed when Lorde launched her comeback with this tantalising blend of indie disco pop in the form of Green light. When the music video premiered alongside the single release, i felt compelled to check out this new Lorde single. The song captivated me, it wasn't what i expected at all. I thought it'd be another song similar to Royals because, if it ain't broke... :wink: However, the tempo was cranked up although Green light has a number of twists and turns throughout. The introduction made me believe Lorde had returned with a ballad but then the twists started one after the other. By the time the chorus kicked in, i was gawping at my screen with a smile on my face. This really wasn't what i'd even imagined to hear but i was loving it.

Green light got off to a flying start and peaked at #3 in my chart.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm

38. Kygo & Selena Gomez - It ain't me

It's already been mentioned how much Selena Gomez shook the foundations of pop music throughout 2017. The song that got the ball rolling was courtesy of Kygo when It ain't me became a worldwide hit back in February.

It ain't me is officially Selena Gomez's most successful hit in my chart peaking at #3. The release of this track co-incided with one of the biggest weeks of the year where the whole top 4 were battling for chart topping status.

I especially love the chorus in this track, it sounds like a tropical house remix of a rockabilly track. :lol: Selena provides really solid vocals on the track which elevate the song for me. Even the "drop" doesn't sound disjointed or jarring and actually works really well with the rest of the track.

JakeP
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:55 pm

I am so behind with this chart due to holidays and then just going 'aaaahh I have so much to catch up on'

I'll pick out a few.

On this page, Green Light and Strangers are stone cold pop anthems. They both really, really go hard and represent pop music at its most unashamed and best.

Charlie & Shawn are my boys. So many people coming for Shawn's voice, I think it's amazing and s glad it drew you in. Charlie has really got pop music this year I think and delivered though his movement is terrible you're right!

People seem to have different favourites of the Zara single, I don't know the Nena version but loved the KREAM remix, glad to see it represented though

Alessia is wonderful. Full stop.

Little Mix, are they releasing it as a single? Is Your Love Enough is wonderful. Would be a disservice not to.

Love subtle Clean Bandit, I Miss You is gorge. Great chart so far.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:59 pm

37. CNCO & Little Mix - Reggaetón lento

The success of Despacito (#49) was incredibly influential in the second half of 2017. It seemed like many artists were inspired and ventured down the same route releasing more similar sounding tracks. Usually these songs tend to pale in comparison lacking any originality or authenticity.

However, Little Mix got the upper hand. I'm pretty sure had Despacito not become such a global phenomenon, the likelihood is that Reggaetón lento would've never happened. Teaming up with latino boyband CNCO, Little Mix recorded a new spanglish version of Reggaetón lento which i loved from the first listen. However, CNCO & Little Mix were narrowly pipped at the post and had to settle for #2 in my chart.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:17 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:I am so behind with this chart due to holidays and then just going 'aaaahh I have so much to catch up on'

I'll pick out a few.

On this page, Green Light and Strangers are stone cold pop anthems. They both really, really go hard and represent pop music at its most unashamed and best.

Charlie & Shawn are my boys. So many people coming for Shawn's voice, I think it's amazing and s glad it drew you in. Charlie has really got pop music this year I think and delivered though his movement is terrible you're right!

People seem to have different favourites of the Zara single, I don't know the Nena version but loved the KREAM remix, glad to see it represented though

Alessia is wonderful. Full stop.

Little Mix, are they releasing it as a single? Is Your Love Enough is wonderful. Would be a disservice not to.

Love subtle Clean Bandit, I Miss You is gorge. Great chart so far.
LOL how do you think i feel? :lol: I feel like this should've been completed by now but i've had quite a fair bit of free time pre-occupied with other things. :wink:

Green light is so great, i still think this song seriously underperformed and its such a shame. Sigrid will probably go the same way thanks to a lack of support from Spotify. :evil:

Shawn Mendes' vocals used to grate on me when he first started out. Something big especially annoyed me. :oops: :lol: But he really delivered a great new single in 2017. Charlie Puth has always been a favourite of mine so i guess he was always going to fare better but at least he brought the bops (even if he can't bop himself). :lol: :P

Not heard the KREAM remix of Only you but the re-recording with Nena with its new arrangement helped the song to come alive more to me.

Aww, Alessia is indeed so sweet. She has one more song still to feature but you'll have to wait before we get to that track. :wink:

I honestly don't know about Little Mix but i agree it would seem like a waste to not at least promote Is your love enough? more in 2018.

As much i enjoy I miss you, i prefer instant pop bop Clean Bandit. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:04 pm

36. Taylor Swift - Look what you made me do

The first of 26 #1 singles in 2017 to be revealed in my top 100 comes from Taylor Swift with Look what you made me do.

I've never been a massive Taylor Swift fan but i've liked many of her songs but never had much desire to check out her albums. So when rumours started circulating about new music Taylor, a part of me was somewhat intrigued. Finally Look what you made me do was released at the end of August and my first impression of the song was lukewarm. I didn't hate it, but i wasn't sure what to make of the song. It was such a curveball type comeback single, i really wasn't prepared for this ode to Right Said Fred although all i could hear was "my humps, my humps, my humps, my humps, my lovely lady lumps, check it out". :lol:

After a couple of unsure plays, the track went on the back burner so Taylor never achieved any 24 hour impact on my chart. However, the music video was released a couple of days later and the impact was real. :P The visual elements throughout the video made everything click into place. However, it was the final scene with the squabbling between Taylor and her alter egos that won me over. Amazing! :lol: Look what you made me do benefitted from multiple views over the course of that week leading to Taylor finally getting her first #1 single in my chart the following weekend.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:23 pm

35. Dua Lipa - Homesick

From #1 hit to another. :P At #35 it's the first of three entries from Dua Lipa with the beautiful Homesick. It was right here on UK Mix where i discovered this song thanks to its thread in the pop forum. Admittedly, it took about two weeks before i actually read the thread. Again, i was curious just from reading the comments so i hopped over to YouTube and gave the song a listen.

OMG! :cry: It was instant love, i didn't realise Homesick was a ballad. Furthermore, i had no idea the song was co-written with Chris Martin but the Coldplay influences stood out immediately, sounding like the sequel to Evergreen. Plus, Dua only went and got Chris Martin to provide backing vocals on the song. It was too much! :lol: The impact built up so quickly that Homesick was like a steam train entering my chart at full speed. But the impact was ultimately too late into the week as my top 3 were already comfortably out in front by that point so Dua entered the chart at #4 but with all the momentum on her side, Homesick rocketed to #1 the following week.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 pm

34. Jax Jones featuring Demi Lovato & Stefflon Don - Instruction

Who knew sriracha sauce could be so inspirational? :lol: Well, Jax Jones certainly thought so with the release of Instruction back in June.

It's not much of a co-incidence as the track captured the sounds of a hot sizzling summer with amazing samba influences on the track. Plus, Jax Jones got Demi Lovato and newcomer Stefflon Don to feature on the track, further emphasising the intense levels of "hot" in this track. :wink:

Instruction wasted no time grabbing my attention with the big drums and Demi's vocals making me want get up off my chair and bop in my bedroom. :lol: I was loving the track so much from the first listen. The track was released in one of the busiest periods for new releases and despite my admiration for this unashamed pop bop, Jax Jones and the girls had to settle for a #2 peak.

JakeP
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts