JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:I definitely didn't have the same feeling as you when I FIRST heard Malibu, I thought it was dull af, though I did definitely grow to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the Logic, Alessia, Khalid track and really appreciated its message but it never clicked with me in a major way,

The Cure and Havana are great pop songs and I agree with every word about Scared To Be Lonely. You've put me off Castle on the Hill by describing it as U2-esque though!

Love Too Much To Ask, also a big fan of Seeing Blind. I hope that and On The Loose both get single releases and help sell the album better! Niall 4ever
Thanks Adam :D

I loved Malibu on the first listen basically because i thought the vocal melody in the verses was so cute. Also having more of a fun looking music video helped keep my interest levels high. I definitely didn't find it dull at all. :P :lol:

As for 1-800-273-8255 it was all about the music video. I'm pretty sure had the music video just been Logic, Alessia and Khalid in several locations performing to the camera it would've have anywhere as much impact as the official video did. This is why Logic's track got off to a flying start and then remained at #1 for three weeks.

LOL you're not a U2 fan then? :lol: When i wrote that comment, i was referring back to U2's sound from the 80s.

I've said all along that Niall's record label would be daft not to release Seeing blind as the next single. Indeed, Niall 4 eternity. I'm just so delighted that my favourite member of One Direction has done so remarkably well as a solo artist. <3
JakeP
Superstar

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Aww really? I liked One last time........
Yeah I'm not always entirely sure why, but I wouldn't rank it within the top 50% of her catalog.

Aww you're not a fan of Dua Lipa?
So far no..... :cry: :(. But 'Scared To Be Lonely' has won her a few points! :D
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:24 pm

SummerPeur wrote:
Yeah I'm not always entirely sure why, but I wouldn't rank it within the top 50% of her catalog.

I think in the case of One last time it was the power of song, it became the song most associated with the terror attack. Had that terror attack never happened then the track would've more than likely always remained a #9 minor chart hit. What is your absolute favourite Ariana song?

I find Dua Lipa quite interesting as she doesn't have the vocal ability to pull off a Mariah moment but on the flip side that's what i like about Dua. She doesn't try to sing big notes because she knows its out of her depth. I'd rather listen to Dua and her limited range than some Mariah wannabe trying to sing all the biggest notes imaginable and fail miserably. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 pm

10. Kesha - Praying
CHART RUN: 01-03-04-04-05-06-08-10-12-18

I was so happy when i found out that Kesha was finally going to be releasing new music. It was a long time coming and Kesha was still having to deal with so much crap from her record label and the ongoing saga surrounding Dr Luke.

When Praying was released in July it was clear that Kesha had matured so much, and this new maturity was evident on the lead single taken from Kesha's third studio album Rainbow. I was in awe listening to Praying for the first time. It was like opening the pages of a diary and interpreting the written passages into song. This was the sound of Kesha at her most open, her most honest, her most vulnerable. I don't think anyone of us can even start to imagine the sheer intensified levels of hell that Kesha has had to endure over the past several years.

Rainbow does to seem to indicate a new beginning, a starting afresh. Taking note of what's happened in the past, and using that information and knowledge to make the future a truly deserved happier one. That said, i was admittedly a bit disappointed when i checked out the album previews on iTunes but Kesha still delivered some excellent songs. Praying is hands down my favourite song on the album and i'd even go as far as saying this has become my favourite single overall overtaking TiK ToK.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby SummerPeur » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 pm

JakeP wrote:
SummerPeur wrote:

I think in the case of One last time it was the power of song, it became the song most associated with the terror attack. Had that terror attack never happened then the track would've more than likely always remained a #9 minor chart hit. What is your absolute favourite Ariana song?

I find Dua Lipa quite interesting as she doesn't have the vocal ability to pull off a Mariah moment but on the flip side that's what i like about Dua. She doesn't try to sing big notes because she knows its out of her depth. I'd rather listen to Dua and her limited range than some Mariah wannabe trying to sing all the biggest notes imaginable and fail miserably. :lol:
Hmmmmm. Good question, my absolute favorite Ariana song would definitely be (Actually, I'd have to give you 2). The first one is Love Me Harder. Such a powerful song, and is a true gem amongst the album. The build up of the beat, the chorus, the transition from the main bridge, everything is just...surreal. :cry: The second would have to be Baby I. I don't know why it gets such a bad rap here on Ukmix.

Interesting way to depict Dua, and interesting non-comparison haha. I think it might be because her voice is just...too basic? (I'm sorry to say it, and don't mean it harshly, cause as I mentioned, I enjoy her vocals on Scared). But sometimes I feel like her songs could be sung by anyone and still be a hit, she just doesn't inject any flare into them.

Babe, who you referencing....... :lol: :lol: 8-)
Spoiler:
I'd rather listen to Dua and her limited range than some Mariah wannabe trying to sing all the biggest notes imaginable and fail miserably. :lol:

10. Kesha - Praying
(You know I'm not going to comment on this) :lol:
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:22 pm

09. Niall Horan - Slow hands
CHART RUN: 03-05-11-07-10-02-08-08-11-12-14-18

If there's one thing Niall did incredibly well with the release of his first two singles, it was the fact they were released with little fanfare. My eyes nearly popped out of my head when This town was released, and Niall pulled off a similar trick with the release of second single Slow hands.

With my interest levels off the scale, i checked out Slow hands on YouTube when the single was released. I wasn't exactly sure what i thought at first. More than anything, what caught my attention was the rather odd vocal effects, making it sound like Niall's vocals had been chopped up and pasted into the track. Yet i was curiously captivated by the song. The chorus sold the song to me, such a typically cheeky type of chorus that only someone like Niall could end up writing.

After 24 hours i was loving the track more and Niall benefitted greatly as Slow hands debuted at #3. However, whilst the song remained fairly stable in my chart the biggest boost came following Niall's performance at the One love Manchester which caused the song to enjoy a major boost which propelled the song back up my chart achieving a new chart peak of #2 in the process.

Whilst third single Too much to ask may have hit the top spot, the longevity of Slow hands was enough to make this track Niall's most successful single to date in my weekly chart.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:37 pm

SummerPeur wrote:
JakeP wrote:I think in the case of One last time it was the power of song, it became the song most associated with the terror attack. Had that terror attack never happened then the track would've more than likely always remained a #9 minor chart hit. What is your absolute favourite Ariana song?

Hmmmmm. Good question, my absolute favorite Ariana song would definitely be (Actually, I'd have to give you 2). The first one is Love Me Harder. Such a powerful song, and is a true gem amongst the album. The build up of the beat, the chorus, the transition from the main bridge, everything is just...surreal. :cry: The second would have to be Baby I. I don't know why it gets such a bad rap here on Ukmix.

Interesting way to depict Dua, and interesting non-comparison haha. I think it might be because her voice is just...too basic? (I'm sorry to say it, and don't mean it harshly, cause as I mentioned, I enjoy her vocals on Scared). But sometimes I feel like her songs could be sung by anyone and still be a hit, she just doesn't inject any flare into them.

Babe, who you referencing....... :lol: :lol: 8-)
Spoiler:
I'd rather listen to Dua and her limited range than some Mariah wannabe trying to sing all the biggest notes imaginable and fail miserably. :lol:

10. Kesha - Praying
(You know I'm not going to comment on this) :lol:
Ohh good choice with Love me harder, this got to #7 in my chart and was also the song that introduced me to The Weeknd before he became a global star in his own right. I have to admit my knowledge of Ariana pre-Problem is a bit sketchy so i don't even think i've heard Baby i. :oops:

LOL perhaps Dua is seen as the cool alternative because her vocals are "too basic". :lol: :P I also think in Dua's case, her style is also what makes her more appealing to teenagers which might explain why she's one of the few female singers around at the moment who has struck the right balance between success on iTunes and Spotify.

Bet you wasn't expecting this... :lol:
Spoiler:
Matt Terry :lol: His strangled cat impressions from when he was on The x factor, i can't deal. What a tragic winner. :evil:

Re; Kesha i think you'll find you just did. :lol: :P :wink:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 pm

08. The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something just like this
CHART RUN: 04-01-01-02-02-05-07-08-12-12-16

At #8 it's The Chainsmokers & Coldplay with their #1 collaborative effort Something just like this.

It all came about rather quickly with the guys from The Chainsmokers announcing the release of this new single ahead of their performance with Coldplay at The Brit awards 2017. My initial thought was admittedly one of disappointment. Not since Roses had i really liked a track from The Chainsmokers. This was also coming off the back of Paris which did absolutely nothing for me. :x So yes, anticipation levels weren't very high despite Coldplay's involvement.

I watched the live performance of Something just like this out of mild curiosity just to hear what this song was going to sound like. It didn't really impact me instantly but i was thankful that i didn't hate the song. :lol: After the exclusive first live performance, it wasn't long before the official lyric video was uploaded to YouTube. In retrospect, the release of Something just like this was executed amazingly well. Performance on a high profile awards show that was bound to create buzz and interest around the world, followed by the release of the lyric video on the same night.

The Chainsmokers & Coldplay had to settle for a chart entry at #4 all thanks to both Lana Del Rey and Kygo & Selena Gomez releasing their new singles that week too giving those singles an advantageous head start over the rest of the competition. Nonetheless, Something just like this quickly became one of my favourite chart hits and after buying the song on iTunes, the single shot to #1 the following week.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:38 pm

07. Portugal. The Man - Feel it stil
CHART RUN: 13-06-01-02-03-04-07-06-08-13-13-18-17-14-19

Who saw this coming? :P

Every now and again a song comes along that is so different, so unique and fresh sounding compared to everything else in the charts. I first found out about Portugal. The Man after Feel it still started doing well in Marat's personal chart but, for whatever reason, at the time i didn't fully investigate and check out the song.

The moment that all changed was a couple of weeks later when Feel it still entered LittleArsonist's chart at #1 with a bullet. I finally checked out the track not knowing what to expect and i found myself enjoying the song on first listen. It wasn't instant love but one thing i really liked about Feel it still was its individuality. Let's quickly ignore the fact i thought it was a female singing :lol: :oops:

There was something so incredibly endearing, almost hypnotising, about this track leading me to download the track on iTunes. After entering my chart at a respectable #13, my love for Feel it still had gone through the roof and Portugal. The Man topped my chart two weeks later. It's also a moral victory of sorts too for Portugal. The Man because this song spent 15 weeks inside my top 20, the longest chart run for any song throughout 2017. :D

JakeP
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Despite ''Feel It Still'' lasting a single day on my chart (07/03/2017, who would have thought), I was kinda reluctant to chart it right away and then it drowned in the mix.
Yet, this is a standout hit of 2017, a very good song.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 pm

JakeP wrote:

Definitely did not.... :lol: . Don't even know this song (well at least I don't think i do) so will have to check it out.

If you get a chance, check out Baby i by Grande girl. Let me know what you think, or if you join the multiple upon multiple ranks of haters of it on here :lol:.

Not a fan of chain-smokers either :cry: . Even though it does have Coldplay on it, who I don't 'mind', I still couldn't get into it.
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 pm

heppolo wrote:Despite ''Feel It Still'' lasting a single day on my chart (07/03/2017, who would have thought), I was kinda reluctant to chart it right away and then it drowned in the mix.
Yet, this is a standout hit of 2017, a very good song.
Ahh that means you would've been the first poster on UK Mix to chart what was the become one of the biggest most surprising breakthrough hits of the year. :D

Shame that it did get lost in the mix although i follow your chart regularly (usually in the hope of seeing an artist who i recognise :lol: :oops: ) so the chances are Portugal. The Man would've still lasted a few days before disappearing.

It is definitely a stand out song. As much as i would've loved to have seen Feel it still going to #1, a part of me is somewhat happy this didn't happen. Otherwise i could imagine a shedload of pop artists (looked at you Maroon 5 :P ) copying this songs style for one of their own new tracks.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:04 pm

^although I had three Portugal.The Man singles charted this year (I can afford it).
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:11 pm

SummerPeur wrote:
JakeP wrote:

Definitely did not.... :lol: . Don't even know this song (well at least I don't think i do) so will have to check it out.

If you get a chance, check out Baby i by Grande girl. Let me know what you think, or if you join the multiple upon multiple ranks of haters of it on here :lol:.

Not a fan of chain-smokers either :cry: . Even though it does have Coldplay on it, who I don't 'mind', I still couldn't get into it.
Feel it still is amazing. It's such an airy little bundle of joy to listen to. It tends to either make me smile or shimmy in my chair so it might have the same impact on you. :lol:

I will give that song a listen tomorrow evening (if i remember :oops: ) and shall post my verdict. Is it really that hated on here?

To be honest, i'm not the biggest fan of The Chainsmokers. I thought the guy who provided vocals on Closer and Paris had such a monotonous personality free vocal. It was just the most basic type of singing which had zero impact on me. Had he recorded vocals for Something just like this then it could've easily hindered the songs success in my chart. That said, he sounds so different on their new track Sick boy, a part of me even wonders if its the same person singing. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:15 pm

heppolo wrote:^although I had three Portugal.The Man singles charted this year (I can afford it).
Would i be right in guessing the other two fared better in your chart compared to Feel it still?

The thing with Portugal. The Man is that despite the success they've enjoyed throughout 2017, i doubt it will have any significant knock on effect on their next single.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:18 pm

^Funnily enough, all of their singles had a similar trajectory and longevity (1-2 days, #14-#17 position in the daily chart). Not too bad, but still not one of those songs I'd call my classic in the years to come.
heppolo
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Ahhh, Feel It Still - it was my #1 - so nice to see someone else was as obsessed as I was :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Well until two days ago I thought Feel It Still was a Janelle song... it's cute! I am surprised how many people have ranked Somethng Just Like This so highly.. I forgot about it in all honesty, though it is nice.
I was pleased to see Kesha be able to release music again and come out winning, also it was nice to see her switch up the style she's best known for.. good song but again, didn't do it enough for me,

And Niall, I means we've spoken about him a lot. For me it's great but not his best, but I totally get why it's the one which did it for him,
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:08 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:Well until two days ago I thought Feel It Still was a Janelle song...
:lol:

Tho really it could be! This song would be right up her alley to cover.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:20 pm

cheapthrills wrote:
king_oxymoron wrote:Well until two days ago I thought Feel It Still was a Janelle song...
:lol:

Tho really it could be! This song would be right up her alley to cover.
Thank you!! Tell that to Thriller! :wink: :lol:
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:24 pm

heppolo wrote:^Funnily enough, all of their singles had a similar trajectory and longevity (1-2 days, #14-#17 position in the daily chart). Not too bad, but still not one of those songs I'd call my classic in the years to come.
That's impressive to see Portugal. The Man being so consistent. :lol:

Aww, you know it's a classic really. I suspect you'd be more fond of the song had it not been quite as successful worldwide. :P

So that's Portugal. The Man, Friðrik Dór, Alice Merton and Ofenbach i count. Did any other songs from my top 100 make your chart throughout 2017? I'm guessing not but i may have missed a couple along the way.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:27 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Ahhh, Feel It Still - it was my #1 - so nice to see someone else was as obsessed as I was :D
Ohh cool. 8-) I will eventually get round to commenting on everyone else's year end charts.

Feel it still was easily one of the best songs of 2017 so it's incredible to know this was your #1 song of last year. :D
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:Well until two days ago I thought Feel It Still was a Janelle song... it's cute! I am surprised how many people have ranked Somethng Just Like This so highly.. I forgot about it in all honesty, though it is nice.
I was pleased to see Kesha be able to release music again and come out winning, also it was nice to see her switch up the style she's best known for.. good song but again, didn't do it enough for me,

And Niall, I means we've spoken about him a lot. For me it's great but not his best, but I totally get why it's the one which did it for him,
LOL i honestly thought it was a female singing Feel it still. Didn't help that my first introduction to the song was via the music video and there are ladies lip syncing the lyrics which only adds to the confusion. :lol: It was when i watched a live performance that my eyes were wide open. I couldn't believe that voice was coming from the guy's month. I think its pretty cool how a male singer can change the tone in his falsetto to sound like a female singer.

Aww i love Something just like this. As i wrote in my commentary, i didn't have high expectations because of the The Chainsmokers' involvement that put me off before i'd heard anything. Iirc i was ready and waiting to completely rip the song to shreds this track but i ended up loving the song.

Kesha really deserved a great year end chart entry and Praying was the best song chosen to introduce the album. Shame you weren't so keen but i was loving this song,

Slow hands is such a gem. I reckon had Niall recorded more music like this for his debut album, he would've fared better in the charts. But overall, i'm so happy that Niall got so much success.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 pm

06. Calvin Harris featuring Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean - Feels
CHART RUN: 03-02-01-02-01-03-05-08-10-12-16-19

After several years producing club bangers, Calvin Harris decided it was time for a change. Seeing as bangers had seemingly fallen out of favour, Calvin embraced the popular trend of mid-tempo hits and went funky on us. Whilst the first three singles from Funk wav bounces vol. 1 had very little impact on my chart, fourth single Feels was a major stand out track.

Feels was released during a busy period for new releases and entered at #3. The timing of the songs release was perfect as the uplifting melody and feel good factor made Feels one of my summer anthems. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry and Big Sean all have key contributions on the track and i honestly can't imagine the song working as successfully had Calvin enlisted the help of different singers/rapper to provide vocals.

Not long after entering my chart, the official music video was released and it couldn't have been more summer had it tried. :P Those parrots. <3 :lol: Was i the only one who tended to watch the parrots more than Big Sean? :lol: Feels progressed up my chart and finally hit the #1 spot enjoying two non consecutive weeks at the summit.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:28 pm

05. Dua Lipa - New rules
CHART RUN: 05-05-07-06-02-02-05-04-07-10-12-16-19

The highest ranked single in my top 100 of 2017 that didn't reach #1 comes courtesy of Dua Lipa with her massive worldwide hit New rules.

After the music video was uploaded to YouTube in July, it quickly started to generate a lot of attention and interest. I thought the video had amazing art direction and choreography which really helped to make New rules stand out over many other music videos for other chart hits. The impact of the music video helped Dua Lipa to enter my chart at #5.

The song itself started to take off in the UK and quite ironically topped the UK charts not long after "new rules" were introduced to help freshen up the top end of the charts. The success of the single was definitely having an impact on my chart as i kept going back to listen to the song, and i was still loving the music video.

Eventually at its peak, Dua Lipa finally peaked at #2 in her fifth week on the chart, unfortunate to come up against the new single from P!nk which stole everyones thunder. Regardless, New rules was now quite comfortably on its way to become Dua's most successful single in my chart.

JakeP
Superstar

Return to Year End Personal Charts