JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby heppolo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:19 pm

the first bunch is not really my thing, except for maybe London Grammar, good song.
Carly Rae Jepsen has very sweet, sugary pop music, but that all was and is done by a handful Scandi acts year in-year out without any accolades. Melodifestivalen grants us with a dozen of those songs each year.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Nice to see some lesser played songs from acts I have enjoyed make your cut, particularly the Kelly Clarkson track (though Love So Soft still commands my attention), and Coldplay, though Kaleidoscope did not capture me as their earlier work has.

I agree that I Niall has had the best post-1D work - (along with Zayn). Harry and Liam can lump it. :lol:
Join Cheapthrills Restaurant Survivor! Choose UKmix's 2018 menu!
Eminem fan? Check out Eminem survivor!
2017 Year-end chart: Cheap 40 of 2017
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:17 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:I charted Cut To The Feeling similarly. Glad you see such promise in Niall, though I would need to revisit that track. I love She's on the Move (I think?) best from memory..
Carly is one of the few pop girls who has stayed loyal to her roots. Sadly it seems she will never have another worldwide smash like she did with Call me maybe.

I adore Niall so i was always going to be interesting in checking out his album. He didn't disappoint imo although i'd be lying if i said it's an amazing album. There are a couple of weaker songs on the album that i haven't gone back to since i first bought the album. On the loose? :P Yes, i like that song too although it got to #10 in my chart so didn't have quite the impact required to make my year end chart.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:19 pm

98. P!nk - I am here
97. LP - Tightrope
96. London Grammar - Big picture
95. Kelly Clarkson - Move you
94. Kesha - Learn to let go
92. Niall Horan - Mirrors
91. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the feeling

Strong start so far, with "I Am Here" and "Learn To Let Go" being my faves from the batch. Wouldn't mind if one of them will be a proper single at some point (still not sure if they are really going with the latter for Kesha in the UK now...)
Tansike
Legend

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Oh so here for this as well!

99. Lauv - I like me better - Fantastic song!

Learn to let go is the first of three appearances for Kesha.
If Praying is anywhere in or near the Top50, we're gonna need to have a chat sis :lol:

I've said on another countdown that Carly hasn't done a mis-step with her music at all. She somehow managed to create just pure POP gems.
Glad you like I like me better too. An underserved flop in the UK. :roll: :lol:

Well considering Praying was a #1 in my chart, we might as well have that chat right now sis. :lol:

Yes, i just mentioned that in my above reply. It's quite sad to think that Carly has delivered some gems but radio just hasn't been even the slightest bit interested in giving Carly more airplay. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:24 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Mirrors" is just okay for me, but "Cut to the Feeling" is a great pop bop. Carly Rae has been on a winning streak since her return to the scene in 2015.
Well, as much as i do love Mirrors the other Niall songs still to come all made the top 2 so that should give an indication as to how much more i love those songs. :wink:

It seems Carly became one of those critically acclaimed pop artists who somehow struggles to get chart success. As i just posted, i blame radio stations and their ignorant attitudes playing right into the hands of Spotify. :evil:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:30 pm

Fan wrote:I was about to say 'I only know Human', but then I actually listened to Skin and I do know that one as well! Just wasn't aware it was by him. Great song though, he has such a strong voice.

I Am Here is a great one as well, one of the best on her new record.

Learn To Let Go is lovely, I was so excited for Kesha's comeback this year and I think she delivered.
Ohh cool. I've done that before now when i've heard a song and liked the sound of it not really knowing who the artist is, and then weeks later i finally realise who it is. Mans not hot is the best recent example i can think of. :lol: I agree Rag'n'Bone Man has such a rich retro soul voice which so goes against his image. I think thats why people have taken to his music over the last year.

YES! :D I am here is so good and i would be delighted if this was chosen as a future single. But Where we go needs to be a single first. :P

Unpopular opinion, but i actually thought Kesha's album sounded quite weak and disjointed after listening to some of the tracks that were posted on YouTube. Praying was such a promising start, and so in the end i only really cared for the main single and the two instant grats. :oops:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm

thankfulforkelly wrote:Move You is really good! One of my favourites from Meaning of Life.
Learn To Let Go is nice, although not one of my faves from Rainbow. It sounds very Avril-esque imo
Miracles is really nice, actually! It grew on me a lot. Never bothered to check out the full Kaleidoscope EP though :oops:
Ahh i knew you would be happy seeing Kelly Clarkson featured. :D Move you is indeed really good. That said, i've still not checked out Meaning of life. :oops: Which of the album tracks are your personal highlights?

I think Learn to let go veers too much towards pop for me to make that connection with Avril, but i can see where you're coming from.

Miracles is also great. I didn't buy the Kaleidoscope ep pretty much because i already bought Something just like this when it was released, and wasn't really bothered about a new version of Hypnotised so it was the three new tracks i was most interested in. If you love old skool Coldplay, i'm sure you would love All i can think about is you, its like a mixture of Coldplay eras between 2000 and 2005. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:42 pm

heppolo wrote:the first bunch is not really my thing, except for maybe London Grammar, good song.
Carly Rae Jepsen has very sweet, sugary pop music, but that all was and is done by a handful Scandi acts year in-year out without any accolades. Melodifestivalen grants us with a dozen of those songs each year.
That actually surprises me a little as i thought my first batch of singles veered away from the all out and proud pop music that is guaranteed to start appearing the higher we get. :wink:

London Grammar is sublime. I really do think they delivered a beautiful album and the single choices were perfect imo.

As i've already posted, i still think its a shame how Carly keeps releasing new music but UK radio just won't give her any support. At least all those melodifestivalen songs get some chart success in Sweden. Carly's chart success in 2017 was non existent. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Nice to see some lesser played songs from acts I have enjoyed make your cut, particularly the Kelly Clarkson track (though Love So Soft still commands my attention), and Coldplay, though Kaleidoscope did not capture me as their earlier work has.

I agree that I Niall has had the best post-1D work - (along with Zayn). Harry and Liam can lump it. :lol:
That's usually the case when i start my countdowns. It's awash with songs that either didn't have much chart success or they're just my favourite album tracks. :P

For some reason, i struggled to get into Love so soft and because Move you was released too, it stole it's waive. :lol: I only really cared for the new songs on Coldplay's ep but i loved one of the tracks, really liked the second but thought the third one was just ok.

Niall owned it. Who'd have thought? I'm so happy he managed to create some buzz around his album and seeing him getting celebrated in America for making history there with his album made me feel so happy for Niall. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Tansike wrote:98. P!nk - I am here
97. LP - Tightrope
96. London Grammar - Big picture
95. Kelly Clarkson - Move you
94. Kesha - Learn to let go
92. Niall Horan - Mirrors

Strong start so far, with "I Am Here" and "Learn To Let Go" being my faves from the batch. Wouldn't mind if one of them will be a proper single at some point (still not sure if they are really going with the latter for Kesha in the UK now...)
It's only gonna get stronger. :P :D Learn to let go is a strange one because in the last couple of months, i've noticed the music video getting a bit of airplay which got me wondering if it was gonna be pushed as an official single.

Whereas with P!nk, i do have a gut feeling that I am here won't be a single. It's still one of my favourite tracks off her album though. <3
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 pm

90. Little Mix - Is your love enough?

After another mightily successful year following the release of Glory days in the autumn of 2016, what did Little Mix do next? They reissued the album with three new tracks. Bargain! :lol: :x

Regardless, i do have a soft spot for Is your love enough? which got to #4 at the start of December. Admittedly, it's not a patch on many of their previous singles but if the girls were to release a music video for this track, it could still have a bit more success and longevity in 2018.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:24 pm

89. Justin Bieber & BloodPop® - Friends

Since 2015 there's no denying just how popular Justin Bieber has become. A string of hit singles over the last 18 months have helped to keep Justin Bieber at the forefront in the world of pop. After a number of tracks guesting as the featured vocalist, Justin Bieber teamed up with producer BloodPop® for the synthtastic Friends which, upon its release, seemed like the most obvious global #1. That didn't quite go to plan but nonetheless, i loved the frothy pop nature of the track even if some of Justin's lyrics are incredibly corny. :lol:

What surprised me the most was realising that Justin Bieber filmed a promo video for Friends and its essentially a tv commercial for Germany T-Mobile. :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 pm

88. Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line - Meant to be

Bringing us right up to date, at #88 it's the latest single from Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line. Despite being released a few months back, i only really got round to checking out Meant to be in November following its success in Australia. The single entered and peaked at #6 but has managed to stabilise nicely over the last couple of weeks.

There's still a possibility that Meant to be could take advantage of dry January and maybe achieve a new peak (new music pending of course :wink: ). If so it could overtake In the name of love to become Bebe Rexha's most successful single in my chart.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 pm

87. Sam Smith - Too good at goodbyes

When Sam Smith announced details of his new single Too good at goodbyes, i just knew from the song title alone that this was going to be a textbook Sam Smith ballad. Well, if it ain't broke... :lol: Sure enough, the song was released in September complete with a payola deal with Spotify to force lazy listeners to stream the song. :roll: :lol:

However, whilst i was willing to dismiss the song as another boring ballad, i actually thought Too good at goodbyes had a lovely warmth about it. It wasn't the most instant of songs but i slowly succumbed to its charm and after three weeks of continuing to grow on me, the track eventually peaked at #6.

Based on what else i've heard from The thrill of it all, it's likely that Too good at goodbyes will be Sam Smith's only top 10 single in my chart from this era.

Oh, and this... :lol:

I mean, the resemblance is uncanny!!! :lol: :P

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 pm

86. Coldplay - Hypnotised

Following Miracle (someone special) at #93, Coldplay have their second appearance at #86 with the beautiful melancholy of Hypnotised.

The single was released in March accompanied by a stunning music video directed by Mary Wigmore. A combination of the gorgeous song and equally gorgeous video helped to give Coldplay another top 5 hit. An extended version of Hypnotised was later released as part of the Kaleidoscope ep. Truth be told, i wasn't particularly fussed over a new version of Hypnotised by that point, and decided to stick with the original version.

JakeP
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:32 pm

JakeP wrote:
Well considering Praying was a #1 in my chart, we might as well have that chat right now sis. :lol:
Hahaha, yes I thought it might of been. I'll restrain myself as I don't want you to hate me :oops: . It's just not high on my list at all, and I miss Your Drug Is My Love Kesha a lot.
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
Hottest Single All Stars, in the game section.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Out of all the Bieber stuff of the last few years, I wish Friends had the most success!
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Hypnotised is not bad, but for the band of their calibre the keyboard/piano was either underproduced (maybe deliberately) to make it sound like an 80s ballad.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:02 pm

Thriller wrote:Out of all the Bieber stuff of the last few years, I wish Friends had the most success!
Friends is a great track but he's got two features still to come so i'm inclined to disagree. :P :lol:

Maybe its because he's been so overexposed since 2015 but i honestly thought it'd be a massive success. In reality it underperformed by his standards by quite some distance.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:04 pm

SummerPeur wrote:Hahaha, yes I thought it might of been. I'll restrain myself as I don't want you to hate me :oops: . It's just not high on my list at all, and I miss Your Drug Is My Love Kesha a lot.
Aww, i won't hate you for stating your opinions. :lol: To be honest, i think Kesha has come a long (the hard way) since Your love is my drug. I can't see Kesha any songs like that any time soon. I'd say Rainbow is the beginning of a newer more mature Kesha.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 pm

heppolo wrote:Hypnotised is not bad, but for the band of their calibre the keyboard/piano was either underproduced (maybe deliberately) to make it sound like an 80s ballad.
Perhaps you're right. I hadn't really thought about it like that. It's still so typically Coldplay though but harks back to their earlier sound rather than pop experimental sounds from more recent years.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:08 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:Hypnotised is not bad, but for the band of their calibre the keyboard/piano was either underproduced (maybe deliberately) to make it sound like an 80s ballad.
Perhaps you're right. I hadn't really thought about it like that. It's still so typically Coldplay though but harks back to their earlier sound rather than pop experimental sounds from more recent years.
''Unsure'' was the best word that describes my initial reaction towards ''Hypnotised''
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 pm

heppolo wrote:
JakeP wrote:
''Unsure'' was the best word that describes my initial reaction towards ''Hypnotised''
In that case going from "unsure" to "not bad" means the song managed to grow on you, and sometimes these are the songs that leave a bigger impression.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 pm

85. Kodaline - Brother

In the last 4 years Kodaline have continued to grow and develop gaining new fans along the way. Their particular brand of indie rock music combined with some of the most heartwarming music videos have helped Kodaline become one of the more successful indie rock acts in my chart.

In June, Kodaline released the first single from their as yet untitled third studio album. Brother is such a gorgeous ballad and whilst i adored the song, it was the accompanying music video that really grabbed my attention, pulled at my heart strings and hit me with such an emotional impact.

Kodaline sure have the knack for creating some incredible music videos, and Brother was no exception. The first time i watched the clip on YouTube i actually got teary eyed. :lol: :oops: The boy starring in the video as the main character to the storyline is one excellent young actor and he plays his role so impressively. Naturally i just loved everything about the song and it helped Kodaline crack the top 5 giving them their biggest hit since Raging in 2016.

JakeP
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts