JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:53 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Nope! And, no, you do not! :lol:
Yes. :P YouTube performance pls. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Finally catching up with the Top30 that i didn't comment on so far :cry: Sorry for being so much behind! :oops:

30. Lena - If i wasn’t your daughter
29. Charlie Puth - Attention

28. Niall Horan - Flicker
27. Lana Del Rey - Love

Great start into the Top30.
Loved Lena's "If I Wasn't Your Daughter" and i'm still mad at them how they handled it. This could have been a #1 hit in Germany yet they basically did NOTHING after the release and sudden success on iTunes :roll: But 2017 seemed like the year of 'wasting songs with huge hit potential' as there were several other cases (for example "The Cure" by Gaga...).
"Attention" is good. A shame on me how i never really cared for it when it was 'hot', i basically only got into it lately so maybe i'll get even more into it when he finally releases the album. I'm still having a little crush on him :oops:
"Flicker" is nice, but he has better stuff, similar case with Lana, as i really enjoy "Love" but it's far from being my favorite song on "Lust For Life".

25. Niall Horan & Maren Morris - Seeing blind
24. Miley Cyrus - Malibu
23. Ariana Grande - One last time

Here it is: My favorite song by Niall! They MUST push "Seeing Blind" as the next single this year! Fingers crossed!
Love the others two. "One Last Time" became a classic in Ariana's discography, even though it's for all the wrong reasons. I already loved it when it was originally released and while the vid got so many negative critics, i also always enjoyed it. Her partner in the vid was playing a main role in 'Victorious' as well (that teen series where she played a main role as well and made her popular) and they weren't really together, though everyone knew they belong together, so it was sweet to see them being together in the video <3

20. Camila Cabello featuring Young Thug - Havana
17. LP - No witness
16. Lady Gaga - The cure

Never was a huge fan of “Havana” tbh but the album release this year made me realize it’s not even as weak as I thought it is. I still prefer “Never Be The Same” and “Crying In The Club” though.
Thanks for the shout out on "No Witness" <3 I'm glad you enjoyed that FSC entry so much and it was so cool to see this being pushed as a proper single last year. A shame she's still a one hit wonder these days, as this was definitely another awesome tune that deserved so much attention!
“The Cure” is the best in this group for me. Typical, carefree Gaga pop song :)

15. Marina Kaye – Something
14. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the hill
13. Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to be lonely
12. Niall Horan - Too much to ask

Marina <3 Still so happy how much you enjoyed this song and that she was able to score an even bigger hit than “Homeless”!
The other three tracks are good, too, though not among my absolute faves of 2017.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:07 pm

10. Kesha – Praying

Amazing song! The first and not the last song we share in our Top10 <3
This was such a brilliant comeback for her. I guess no one expected her to return with a ballad like this, as she slayed it!

09. Niall Horan - Slow hands

Aw cutie Niall :wink: Last year I would have said this was his best single to date, though I think the crown goes to “On The Loose” now. But “Slow Hands” still is a great song and I’m glad this was such a big hit for him, at least in the English speaking countries. Also, that style fits him so well.

06. Calvin Harris featuring Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean – Feels

Such a summery song was needed for summer… this was very high on my list as well and is another song where I’m glad it was so big, not only because it’s good, but also because I thought Katy deserved it after flopping so much with her own stuff last year. Calvin is always hit or miss for me and with this it was the first one. Don’t even mind Big Sean on it :)

05. Dua Lipa - New rules

A little pop gem. Who would have thought she’d get a hit that late into her era? I think everyone already expected the era to be done and the album to be a little flop since it got delayed so often, and then she releases this and gets a sleeper hit with it – well deserved! The vid is definitely one of the finest ones from 2017.

04. P!nk - What about us

Didn’t expect this to be so high on your list but congrats to P!nk! This was a great ‘comeback’ for her. What I loved about this was that while it’s still typical P!nk, she also added some popular charts sounds to it which worked very well for her.

03. Katy Perry featuring Skip Marley - Chained to the rhythm

Oh Katy! The era started sooo good with “Chained”, no idea how she went from this to a complete commercial disaster. What shocked me the most was that the singles after this were still very good, so maybe it really was the hair?! :lol:

Anyways, back to “Chained To The Rhythm”. Pop at its best, as simple as that. Interesting how P!nk and Katy are back to back, as they’re not only similar on the political message as you wrote, but I also think both tried to combine their ‘own’ sound with what’s modern at that point, and both did really well in doing so.

02. Rita Ora – Anywhere

Another pop gem <3 I already loved “Your Song” but this was even so much better! Rita had a brilliant return to the music scene in 2017 with her two singles and I was sooo happy how this became such a hit for her. It even became her very first Top10 hit ever over here in Switzerland, though it happened pretty late (only in January this year). Fingers crossed she will continue with releasing bops like this in 2018 :cool:

01. Clean Bandit featuring Zara Larsson – Symphony

:cry: :cry: :cry:
<3 <3 <3

Well, we already talked about this over in my topic, so I won’t say much except that this is such a flawless, perfect tune and a deserved #1 on your list!
Tansike
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue May 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Tansike wrote:Finally catching up with the Top30 that i didn't comment on so far :cry: Sorry for being so much behind! :oops:

30. Lena - If i wasn’t your daughter
29. Charlie Puth - Attention

28. Niall Horan - Flicker
27. Lana Del Rey - Love

Great start into the Top30.
Loved Lena's "If I Wasn't Your Daughter" and i'm still mad at them how they handled it. This could have been a #1 hit in Germany yet they basically did NOTHING after the release and sudden success on iTunes :roll: But 2017 seemed like the year of 'wasting songs with huge hit potential' as there were several other cases (for example "The Cure" by Gaga...).
"Attention" is good. A shame on me how i never really cared for it when it was 'hot', i basically only got into it lately so maybe i'll get even more into it when he finally releases the album. I'm still having a little crush on him :oops:
"Flicker" is nice, but he has better stuff, similar case with Lana, as i really enjoy "Love" but it's far from being my favorite song on "Lust For Life".

25. Niall Horan & Maren Morris - Seeing blind
24. Miley Cyrus - Malibu
23. Ariana Grande - One last time

Here it is: My favorite song by Niall! They MUST push "Seeing Blind" as the next single this year! Fingers crossed!
Love the others two. "One Last Time" became a classic in Ariana's discography, even though it's for all the wrong reasons. I already loved it when it was originally released and while the vid got so many negative critics, i also always enjoyed it. Her partner in the vid was playing a main role in 'Victorious' as well (that teen series where she played a main role as well and made her popular) and they weren't really together, though everyone knew they belong together, so it was sweet to see them being together in the video <3

20. Camila Cabello featuring Young Thug - Havana
17. LP - No witness
16. Lady Gaga - The cure

Never was a huge fan of “Havana” tbh but the album release this year made me realize it’s not even as weak as I thought it is. I still prefer “Never Be The Same” and “Crying In The Club” though.
Thanks for the shout out on "No Witness" <3 I'm glad you enjoyed that FSC entry so much and it was so cool to see this being pushed as a proper single last year. A shame she's still a one hit wonder these days, as this was definitely another awesome tune that deserved so much attention!
“The Cure” is the best in this group for me. Typical, carefree Gaga pop song :)

15. Marina Kaye – Something
14. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the hill
13. Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to be lonely
12. Niall Horan - Too much to ask

Marina <3 Still so happy how much you enjoyed this song and that she was able to score an even bigger hit than “Homeless”!
The other three tracks are good, too, though not among my absolute faves of 2017.
OMG i only just notice that you has posted in this thread. I'd almost forgotten about this. :oops: :lol:

I agree about Lena but i think Germany is also heavily biased towards Spotify data so like in the UK and Australia, if a song does badly on streaming services it has a really bad impact on its chart potential. It's a shame that the charts are like this but its just how things are now. :(

I'm surprised that the release of Charlie's new album is going to be roughly a year after Attention came out. I'm also not as hyped now for the album as i probably was after the first two singles. The tracks with Boyz II Men and Kehlani have lowered my expectation levels.

Well, we're in May and i don't know whether Niall's tour has now completed. Yet there is still no sign of Seeing blind becoming a single and i'm absolutely gobsmacked that the most obvious hit on Flicker seems destined to forever be an album track. :o

Its a shame that it took such a shocking event to give Ariana her first #1 but now i think No tears left to cry has the potential to finish even higher in my chart of 2018. :wink:

I'm curious to see if LP plans on releasing any new music in 2018, or whether it'll be 2019 before LP releases a new single or album. Whenever it happens, i will be very much intrigued. :D

Marina Kaye's song was a real pearl of a discovery. I do adore checking out your charts even if i don't get time to fully comment every week, but i'm always interested in the songs i've not already heard - even if some of them don't appeal to me. :lol: :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 pm

Tansike wrote:10. Kesha – Praying

Amazing song! The first and not the last song we share in our Top10 <3
This was such a brilliant comeback for her. I guess no one expected her to return with a ballad like this, as she slayed it!
Kesha really did slay. It's a shame i wasn't quite as impressed with her whole album based on what i heard. But Praying couldn't have been a more perfect way to kickstart her new era.

Tansike wrote:09. Niall Horan - Slow hands

Aw cutie Niall :wink: Last year I would have said this was his best single to date, though I think the crown goes to “On The Loose” now. But “Slow Hands” still is a great song and I’m glad this was such a big hit for him, at least in the English speaking countries. Also, that style fits him so well.
Even though it was unlucky to miss out on #1, Slow hands had an impressed run and very narrowly ended up being Niall's most successful single in my chart last year.

Tansike wrote:06. Calvin Harris featuring Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean – Feels

Such a summery song was needed for summer… this was very high on my list as well and is another song where I’m glad it was so big, not only because it’s good, but also because I thought Katy deserved it after flopping so much with her own stuff last year. Calvin is always hit or miss for me and with this it was the first one. Don’t even mind Big Sean on it :)
This wasnt the instant hit that i usually love from Calvin Harris but it was definitely one of the most endearing songs of the year and successfully climbed its way to the top. Feels sort of proved that it wasn't Katy who was unpopular, but her own music just didn't up to her previous standard. I love Katy Perry and even i wasn't that impressed with most of the Witness album based on the tracks i played on YouTube.

Tansike wrote:05. Dua Lipa - New rules

A little pop gem. Who would have thought she’d get a hit that late into her era? I think everyone already expected the era to be done and the album to be a little flop since it got delayed so often, and then she releases this and gets a sleeper hit with it – well deserved! The vid is definitely one of the finest ones from 2017.
For a song that didn't top my chart, New rules did incredibly well to maintain its place inside my top 10 for multiple weeks. Easily one of the best outright pop songs of 2017, even if i did love What about us more by the time this song peaked.

Tansike wrote:04. P!nk - What about us

Didn’t expect this to be so high on your list but congrats to P!nk! This was a great ‘comeback’ for her. What I loved about this was that while it’s still typical P!nk, she also added some popular charts sounds to it which worked very well for her.
I noticed quite a bit of criticism aimed at P!nk when this was released. Some people didn't want another pop/rock track whilst others didn't want a boring ballad. I still think this was the perfect balance between staying true to P!nk whilst keeping it fresh.

Tansike wrote:03. Katy Perry featuring Skip Marley - Chained to the rhythm

Oh Katy! The era started sooo good with “Chained”, no idea how she went from this to a complete commercial disaster. What shocked me the most was that the singles after this were still very good, so maybe it really was the hair?! :lol:

Anyways, back to “Chained To The Rhythm”. Pop at its best, as simple as that. Interesting how P!nk and Katy are back to back, as they’re not only similar on the political message as you wrote, but I also think both tried to combine their ‘own’ sound with what’s modern at that point, and both did really well in doing so.
For me personally, i didn't "get" the direction Katy was taking with her purposeful pop. When Bon appétit was released, i wasn't sure what to think and then Migos added their "singing" and i was just disappointed and it didn't exactly get better with Swish swish either. :oops:

Tansike wrote:02. Rita Ora – Anywhere

Another pop gem <3 I already loved “Your Song” but this was even so much better! Rita had a brilliant return to the music scene in 2017 with her two singles and I was sooo happy how this became such a hit for her. It even became her very first Top10 hit ever over here in Switzerland, though it happened pretty late (only in January this year). Fingers crossed she will continue with releasing bops like this in 2018 :cool:
It's astonishing just how much i adore Anywhere especially considering Rita had nevr really wowed me with her previous singles. It was a really smart move and one that propelled Rita right up to the top of my affections. I'm still gutted that this couldn't even sneak one week at #1. :(

Tansike wrote:01. Clean Bandit featuring Zara Larsson – Symphony

:cry: :cry: :cry:
<3 <3 <3

Well, we already talked about this over in my topic, so I won’t say much except that this is such a flawless, perfect tune and a deserved #1 on your list!
Symphony is going to go down as one of the best #1 singles of the decade. It really is an incredible song with excellent lyrics, lush production and a gorgeous melody. Clean Bandit once again got everything spot on. :D Having Zara as the vocalist was like the icing on the cake. :D
JakeP
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts