Kelly Clarkson
67%
Lorde
No votes
Taylor Swift
No votes

Total votes : 3

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:06 am

To complete my 2017 year-end trilogy, it's time to get to count down my favourite acts of 2017.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," so, in that vein, I'll be sticking to the methodology I've been using for the better part of a decade. Component #1 - each artist earns points for each song and album he or she had in my Top 100 Songs and Top 25 albums lists. So "Redbone," which was #1 on my songs list, earned Childish Gambino 100 points, "Havana," which was #2, produced 99 points for Camila Cabello, and so on.

Component #2 - my #1 album, Melodrama, earns Lorde 100 points, my #2, Meaning of Life, gives Kelly Clarkson 96 points, and Reputation, which was third, translates to 92 points for Taylor Swift, and so on.

Component #3 - the number of plays an artist got is translated directly into the third element of the equation, so if Taylor Swift managed 500 spins for 2017, she gets 500 points.

So, how about we throw all those aforementioned names in the bag, dub them this year's nominees, and get this show on the road tomorrow night?

My Tribute to Janet Jackson: [#1 Revealed!]

I lost myself to music at a very early age, and I remained there.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 am

25. Sam Smith - 215 points

The 'male Adele' returned in 2017, with more ballads of heartbreak and relationship failure, but his decision to employ a fantastic gospel choir meant that his choruses were lifted beyond the breaches of self-pity and melancholy to a place of triumph and resolution. Admittedly, Sam's play count is lower than it was when he appeared in my 2014 year-end wrap-up, as his album came late in the year, and was preceded by a lead single that was less instant than "Stay with Me". Still, the album has loads of potential, and I'm looking forward to him hopefully releasing "Him" sometime next year.
Code: Select all
Last Year's Rank: RE
# of Plays: 73
Year-End Songs: Pray [#59], Too Good at Goodbyes [#81]
Year-End Albums: The Thrill of It All [#6]

24. Big Sean - 222 points

Although Big Sean has been appearing in my year-end lists as far back as 2012 when his addictively catchy and clever verse on "As Long as You Love Me" lifted that track to a near-Top-10 year-end rank, 2017 was the first year that I really explored Big Sean's work as a lead act, and I realised I had been missing out on a solid lyricist. I think Big Sean doesn't get the credit he deserves as there are rappers like Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Eminem, and Kanye West who do more socially conscious rap, but Big Sean's work this year was punchy and motivational, and definitely left more of an impact with me than any other male hip/hop act. I'll aim to do better in following his solo career, as he definitely proved that he's worth my time.
Last Year's Rank: NE
# of Plays: 97
Year-End Songs: Feels [#45], Bounce Back [#68]
Year-End Albums: I Decided [#17]

23. Dua Lipa - 225 points

A bright new name in pop music, Dua Lipa's "New Rules" was a huge highlight for me, to the extent that I actually listened to her debut album in full, and found it rather decent, with enjoyable singles. There's room for development, but anyone who can deliver a "New Rules"-level performance with her first LP has my respect. Her collaboration with Martin Garrix was also solid.
# of Plays: 87
Year-End Songs: New Rules [#26], Scared to Be Lonely [#66]
Year-End Albums: Dua Lipa [#19]

22. Trey Songz - 228 points

Well off from his #8 peak in 2010, Trey Songz does more of the same in 2017, and finds himself in the lower end of the countdown. I've just about given up on him evolving as an act, but he released some quality bedroom jams among the litany of sex music he did in 2017, so I'll take what I can get from him and keep it moving.
# of Plays: 103
Year-End Songs: Animal [#52], She Lovin It [#65]
Year-End Albums: Tremaine [#16]

21. Zayn - 241 points

Zayn is proving to be my favourite of the ex-1D men, as he has a gorgeous voice and finds R&B/pop songs that complement his rather unique tone. In 2017, his best songs came in the form of duets with two women, both of whom are ranked far higher than he is on this countdown, both of whom have stronger voices than he does, and both of whom I would have expected to outdo him on the respective tracks, but he impressively held his own, and delivered two more winning singles to add to the list that included "Pillowtalk," "Back to Sleep," and "It's You" from last year. He's charting this year without an LP, which is enormously impressive. I expect bigger and better from him in the years to come.
Last Year's Rank: #10
# of Plays: 113
Year-End Songs: I Don't Wanna Live Forever [#7], Dusk Till Dawn [#67]

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 am

ZAYN has been hit and miss for me, but I have liked a handful of his singles. Dua has been hit and miss too, but the singles have pretty much all hit, she just needs a bit more meat on the album. Big Sean is pretty much my favourite rapper, I like his vibe and wordplay. Sam is ok.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:ZAYN has been hit and miss for me, but I have liked a handful of his singles. Dua has been hit and miss too, but the singles have pretty much all hit, she just needs a bit more meat on the album. Big Sean is pretty much my favourite rapper, I like his vibe and wordplay. Sam is ok.
Agree totally on Dua! Interesting to know that Big Sean's your favourite rapper. He's so underrated!

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 pm

20. Shania Twain - 251 points

I'm always down for a comeback, and Shania Twain's was my most anticipated comeback of 2017. 15 years removed from the game, the country/pop queen is a bit rusty, as evidenced by some of the mid-tier songs on her Now album, and her voice isn't quite as light and cheerful as it was before her hiatus and vocal struggles, but the talent is still there, and it permeates best through "I'm Alright," one of the best, most honest and vulnerable songs I heard in 2017 that has sprinkles of grit and unrelenting determination throughout. I hope she releases that one as a single to close out this current era in 2018, takes some time off, and returns in 2019 with a more polished effort. Country music needs her closer to her best.
# of Plays: 199
Year-End Albums: Now [#13]

19. Portugal. The Man - 256 points

The US charts don't usually introduce me to quality acts these days, but they did when this song raced to the Top 10. I liked it so much that I thought a spin of the album was warranted, and was rightfully impressed by the band's funk-pop spin on alternative rock. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them in 2018 and beyond, as I've done light exploration of their back-catalogue and I've found some hidden gems there, too. I expect more quality stuff to come.
# of Plays: 104
Year-End Songs: Feel It Still [#17]
Year-End Albums: Woodstock [#9]

18. Miley Cyrus - 256 points

Well off from her big year in 2013, where she ranked as high as #6, Miley Cyrus made a less-than-remarkable return with a more country-influenced sound. "Malibu" had all the elements in just the right doses, and there are one or two album tracks on Younger Now that are reminiscent of Miley at her best, but overall, 2017 was a significant dip in quality for Miley. She's young, talented, and I have every confidence that she'll return to her tried-and-proven pop-with-spunk formula for her next effort.
# of Plays: 176
Year-End Songs: Malibu [#29]
Year-End Albums: Younger Now [#24]

17. Harry Styles - 280 points

Harry isn't my highest 1D member this year! This is a shock to me, as I fully expected him to be my clear favourite. He got off to a terrific start with "Sign of the Times," but his album leaves something to be desired. It doesn't have any other big moment. I suppose he's still figuring it out, and seventeenth place isn't the worst place to start. Harry's quite eccentric, so I'm not sure if we'll get a sophomore release later on in 2018, or as far as 2028. When the time comes, though, I suspect I'll be eager to listen.
# of Plays: 137
Year-End Songs: Sign of the Times [#22]
Year-End Albums: Harry Styles [#10]

16. Lorde - 293 points

This is another surprise! The lady with my album of the year finishes in sixteenth place, the lowest of her three appearances in my year-end artists lists. Unfortunately, I got into Melodrama quite late, which means that the non-"Green Light" singles didn't feature in my year-end songs list, and having slept on the album for six months, the late rally and subsequent discovery of the LP being quite close to a masterclass effort paralysed her play count, too. Expect her to be significantly higher up in 2018, and if she releases "Sober" as a single, she very well might win big for me in 2018.
# of Plays: 123
Year-End Songs: Green Light [#31]
Year-End Albums: Melodrama [#1]

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:58 am

15. Niall Horan - 301 points

The top 1D man this year, Niall Horan's evolution to a solo star was incredible to see. I've said before that my expectations were low, and rightfully so seeing as he never shined as an individual among the group, but he brought both sexy ("Slow Hands") and sincere ("Too Much to Ask") to the table, and left me wanting more. Hopefully, he releases "Seeing Blind" in 2018, and returns in 2019 with some more quality music. 2017 also marked the year that I realised Niall's sorta handsome.
# of Plays: 85
Year-End Songs: Slow Hands [#39], Too Much to Ask [#41], This Town [#83]
Year-End Albums: Flicker [#7]

14. Auli'i Cravalho - 333 points

I'm a sucker for Disney soundtrack anthems, so, on paper, my love for "How Far I'll Go" - and Auli'i Cravalho by extension - is predictable. I have my suspicions that I'll never hear from her again, but her voice was the perfect fit for Moana, so if she is destined to be a a one-hit wonder, that's one hell of a single hit (film) to have.
# of Plays: 178
Year-End Songs: How Far I'll Go [#5], Where You Are [#42]

13. Cardi B - 364 points

The most promising new face in hip/hop is a female, and not just any female, but a former stripper and reality TV show star, who built an anthem off the back of her struggles as an aspiring minority rapper in America. She came out of the gate with a #1 hit, and there's every indication that it won't be her last. I expect Cardi to have an even more impressive 2018 than 2017, but I hope she avoids overexposure, as she does seem to be everywhere these days, and that can get wearisome. Anyway, some advice: drop the album, push three to four singles throughout 2018, and take 2019 off.
# of Plays: 278
Year-End Songs: Bodak Yellow [#15]

12. P!nk - 373 points

Well off from her #6 peak from 2012, P!nk returned in 2017 with an album well below her capabilities, with no real stunner among the collection of I'll-forget-them-before-2019 tracks. However, when an all-time favourite of yours releases a sub-par LP, all you can do is listen, pick out the bearable from the absolutely bad, fondly reminisce of the higher quality years, and hope that she's got enough in the tank for a better showing next time.
# of Plays: 271
Year-End Songs: Beautiful Trauma [#73], What About Us [#99]
Year-End Albums: Beautiful Trauma [#8]

11. Lana Del Rey - 376 points

Another act who peaked five years ago (#3 in 2012), Lana Del Rey is higher than she's been since that time. For the first time since Born to Die, I found myself going back to the songs on Lust for Life, and really enjoying listening to them. There are big keepers on Lana's most recent LP, and I'm just happy she managed to reverse her backward momentum to return to some semblance of greatness.
# of Plays: 194
Year-End Songs: Love [#46], Summer Bummer [#58], Lust for Life [#77]
Year-End Albums: Lust for Life [#11]

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:50 am

10. Childish Gambino - 377 points

The mastermind behind my favourite song of the year, "Redbone," Childish Gambino made a huge mark on my 2017. Previously, his only contribution had been a solid verse on Leona Lewis's "Trouble," but the year-defining "Redbone" and the not-as-good-but-still-solid "Terrified" pushed me to check out his solo career in greater depth, and I really started to enjoy his music. He's unbelievably talented. He's a singer, rapper, songwriter, producer, and actor, and he excels in every department. It's mind-blowing really. He's a true inspiration.
# of Plays: 277
Year-End Songs: Redbone [#1]

09. Imagine Dragons - 382 points

2017 saw Imagine Dragons deliver their best showing across my year-end charts. They'd previously been a decent singles act, but never had an album to really complete the package. That changed with Evolve, one of my top albums of the year, and highlighted by the magnificent "Whatever It Takes," the band make their long-awaited debut on this top artists list, with every reason to believe that this won't be their final appearance. I trust that there's still lots of greatness to come.
# of Plays: 168
Year-End Songs: Whatever It Takes [#21], Believer [#74], Thunder [#78]
Year-End Albums: Evolve [#5]

08. Bruno Mars - 404 points

In 2016, Bruno had a fantastic album showing, with 24K Magic finishing in an impressive second place on my year-end albums list, but had a weak showing on the songs side with the lead single and title track only making it to #73 on my songs countdown. This year, with no album, but some big points scored on the year-end songs element of the equation, the situation's reversed, but the net result is the same - another solid year from the very best solo male in pop/R&B music today. He made the very wise decision to release my favourite 24K Magic track as a single, partnering with Cardi B no less, so I think 2018 will be another bright year for Bruno.
Last Year's Rank: #14
# of Plays: 251
Year-End Songs: That's What I Like [#12], Versace on the Floor [#37]

07. Nicki Minaj - 439 points

In a year where Remy Ma assassinated her street cred, and Cardi B totally overshadowed her commercial success (or lack thereof), 2017 saw Nicki taking a few L's, but the queen of rap proved her skills on three big features in 2017, the best of which was the criminally underrated "Kissing Strangers". "No Frauds" was her finest as the lead act, but these teasers to the main event have me rather impatient for the album. I need her to drop it no later by Q2 of 2018, so she can prove to everyone that she's still the best female emcee to ever do it...and a case could be made that she's the best, male or female.
# of Plays: 241
Year-End Songs: Kissing Strangers [#13], No Frauds [#33], Swish Swish [#69], Light My Body Up [#9]

06. Ed Sheeran - 465 points

The highest ranking male act this year, Ed Sheeran won me over in 2017. I never thought I'd care enough about his music to check out a full-length album, as his material seemed sleep-inducing at best, and a less-than-suitable alternative to euthanasia at worst. "Shape of You" indicated that he was definitely giving me something different from what I thought he was, and ballads like "Castle on the Hill" proved that even in the lane where I fully expected him to be in, he was excelling in much the same way he did when "Thinking Out Loud" came out and resonated with me. I still believe that a lot of his music is soulless, and sanguine to an extent where even I'm overwhelmed, but it's feel-good, quality pop music regardless. I think a lot of people are over hearing his music 24/7, so hopefully he caves out for the next 18-21 months, and returns late in 2019 with new music to be overexposed. Worse artists have been on top of the world, so I can't be too critical of Ed's success.
# of Plays: 167
Year-End Songs: Perfect [#20], Shape of You [#35], Castle on the Hill [#38]
Year-End Albums: ÷ [#4]

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:09 pm

05. Sia - 471 points

Equalling her fifth place peak from 2014, Sia manages to make my year-end Top 5 acts for a second time, this time sans an LP. It was that brilliant, uncanny ability to write permeating hooks that saw Sia re-peak this year, and "Move Your Body" put her at the head of the class very early on in the year. A slow-burning collaboration with Zayn would follow in the summer, as well as a Christmas album that I didn't rate in the fall. "Everyday Is Christmas" did connect with me rather late in 2017, so it very well may be included in my 2018 year-end list, but 2017 was another solid year from one of the most consistent female pop artists this decade. She gives me every reason to believe that she's not done writing and belting greatness.
Last Year's Rank: #11
# of Plays: 347
Year-End Songs: Move Your Body [#11], Dusk Till Dawn [#67]

04. Camila Cabello - 481 points

After dismissing Fifth Harmony as a low-tier girl group with but a fraction of the talent of the girls from Little Mix, Camila Cabello, not even my favourite girl from Fifth Harmony, unleashed two stunners in 2017. The first, "Crying in the Club," was love at first listen, and I was so positive it would smash on the charts. It didn't. The second, "Havana," was one I listened to and thought it was okay at first, then the general public collectively decided to make it a global hit three months later. I've said before that the hook on "Havana" reminds me of the hook on "Umbrella," and watching some of Camila's performances, I can't help but see young Rihanna in her. Her new album was just released yesterday, which I plan to check out this weekend, so I'm hoping that she's more than just a great singles act. If she can string together a solid debut LP, she'll have a huge year in 2018. In 2017, she earns the honour of being the highest ranked new artist.
# of Plays: 304
Year-End Songs: Havana [#2], Crying in the Club [#23]

03. Katy Perry - 777 points

Achieving her highest ranking on my year-end list ever, Katy Perry fared far better on my countdowns than she did on the official global charts. Her commercial failure was perhaps the biggest surprise 'flop' of the year because the catchy hooks were still there, the fun videos were present, and she was coming off an era with huge #1 hits "Roar" and "Dark Horse". Much as she did last time with "Walking on Air," it looks like this era, the best song, "Roulette," won't be an official single, but it made such an impact on me that I had to include it among my top songs of the year. Witness was certainly sub-par for her considering that her previous LP, Prism, was my #1 album of 2013, but there's still more mileage left in my KatyCat car. I'm curious to see what she does next.
# of Plays: 477
Year-End Songs: Roulette [#3], Chained to the Rhythm [#34], Feels [#45], Swish Swish [#69]
Year-End Albums: Witness [#14]

02. Kelly Clarkson - 784 points

After finishing in 10th place in both my 2011 and 2015 year-end artists list, the brilliantly talented Kelly Clarkson arrives at a new high some 15+ years into her career, bolstered by her most mature, soulful album to date. There are no obvious hits on the album, which may be one reason why she had none this era, but that brilliant voice that can move an entire nation to tears in its interpretation of Kelly's truth is still in excellent shape, the songwriting is better than it's ever been, the melodies are funkier, spunkier, and fresher than they've been in years, and the energy and excitement from Kelly herself is palpable. It was a good year to be a Kelly Clarkson fan.
# of Plays: 550
Year-End Songs: Love So Soft [#16], Move You [#48]
Year-End Albums: Meaning of Life [#2]

01. Taylor Swift - 911 points

Third place in 2010 and 2014, and fifth place in 2012 and 2015, with an additional Top 10 finish in 2013, Taylor Swift has spent most of this decade delivering top-notch country-pop and pure pop jewels, and has lingered very near to the throne that I suppose it was only a matter of time before she assumed it. On my year-end songs countdown, she scored more points than any other act, Reputation finished within the Top 3 of my albums list even with some janky production and an off-putting lyrical theme throughout, and she had the second highest play count among artists who released new music in 2017, so the relevant stats were sufficient to carry her to a clear victory this year. I hope "Getaway Car" gets a release in 2018, and fan favourite "Delicate" could do well on the charts, too.
# of Plays: 537
Year-End Songs: I Don't Wanna Live Forever [#7], Call It What You Want [#25], ...Ready for It? [#40], Look What You Made Me Do [#50]
Year-End Albums: Reputation [#3]

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:23 pm

your Top 3 is absolutely amazing

also pleased to see P!nk and Lana pretty high. :)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:07 pm

Bloody hell, pipped again.
For me this has not been Taylor's finest hour or era or year, but I still like some of what she does. Good to see Kelly so represented, great album. Legit thought Portugal The Man was a solo male rapper, I'm so down with the kids.

Saying it louder one last time for the kids in the back, NIALL STOOD OUT IN 1D SO MANY TIMES Y'ALL TRIPPIN

Lots and lots of great artists here.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 pm

25. Sam Smith
23. Dua Lipa
20. Shania Twain
18. Miley Cyrus
17. Harry Styles
16. Lorde
15. Niall Horan
13. Cardi B
12. P!nk
11. Lana Del Rey
09. Imagine Dragons
08. Bruno Mars
07. Nicki Minaj
06. Ed Sheeran
05. Sia
04. Camila Cabello
03. Katy Perry
02. Kelly Clarkson
01. Taylor Swift

Great collection of some strong artists, and some of them also slayed my 2017 8-)

The pic of Niall is sooo cute... :oops:

Aww at Lana missing the Top10 by one point :cry:

Nicki at #7 :o

Slowly getting really into Camila, her debut album is better than expected. I guess she'll have another very successful year in 2018.

Love the pics of Katy & Kelly!

Slightly surprised Taylor is #1 despite the late release date for her album and an underperformance. "Reputation" is/was good, but definitely not her best release to date, so it's crazy to see her still getting the top spot. But congrats to her!
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:55 pm

The artists you have listed are a good representation of who defined my 2017 as well. :)

I'd put some fo them in a different order, but it's nice to see Nicki (ahead of Cardi!) in your top ten as well as Kelly and Sia. Really surprised by the Sia love and glad to hear that there might be some impact from her Christmas album.

I just don't know what to think of Taylor - it's been very uneven love for me - first I loved LWYMMD , then burned on it, then decided I liked it again, and Ready For It never reeled me in. As for the rest of the album, it's a mixed affair for me as well. I'll be curious to see how 2018 plays out for her.
It's time for the 2000-2009 Female-Led Singles Countdown!
and my Top 100 Artists countdown!
More? How about a survivor based on a countdown?
cheapthrills
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts