Khalid - Love Lies
8%
Lily Allen - Trigger Bang
8%
Rosalía - Malamente
17%

Total votes : 12

Postby abi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Yassssss for BLACKPINK! 8-) :lol: K-Pop better come through in 2019!

"Finesse" is really great but I had the same problem with you, I overplayed it way too much when the album was first released. "Faded Love" is really nice as well, she has better songs though.
abi
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:57 pm

70-61:

70. DMA'S | IN THE AIR
Who's been fooling my emotions?

Australian band, DMA'S, take a lot of influence from the British guitar Britpop movement of the 90s, and this song continues to hone in on that. I love that the song is a slightly more emotional side, a ballad that wouldn't sound out of place from an Oasis album. The occasional electric guitar accentuations really help bring out those sorrowful vocals from the lead singer. There's slight synth sounds in the mix as well, which is a different route for DMA'S and one that I'd like to see them explore more.

69. YEARS & YEARS | SANCTIFY
Sanctify my sins when I pray

'Sanctify' is a rather sensual song isn't it? Probably one of the naughtiest songs the boys have released. The song is about Olly hooking up with a straight-identifying man and trying to reassure what he is doing is not wrong. I love the darker production flourishes on this, and Olly's voice sounds as great as ever. I think it's a shame this wasn't the smash rather than the more basic 'If You're Over Me'.

68. THE CARTERS | APESHIT
I got expensive fabrics, I got expensive habits

What can I say? Pharrell really brought the fire on the production with this. This song feels more like a Beyoncé song featuring Jay, but she is literally killing it with her delivery. Fire verses, and a great chorus with adlib contributions from Quavo from Migos. Whether Beyoncé is bragging about buying her man a jet, or telling her haters to "get off my d!ck", she is sounding confident and in control - basically like the music legend that she has become.

67. JORJA SMITH FT. STORMZY | LET ME DOWN
Sometimes, I wouldn't mind if I was less important

I wasn't too sure about this song at first. I thought Jorja was going to lose her edge, as this came across a bit Sia-esque. But eventually I fell in love. It's so melodramatic in both it's production and Jorja's vocal delivery. It's so haunting. Lyrically the song is about accepting that you mean very little to someone, as long as you have them in your life. Stormzy has a nice feature here, just a voice of advice more than anything, but this song is all about Jorja and her epic vocal delivery.

66. JAX JONES FT. INA WROLDSEN | BREATHE
You're on my mind like a song that I can't escape

Just realised this song was released in the tail-end of 2017, but I don't care as it's a banger. Jax Jones just knows how to write a pop banger, and this song is part of a growing list of hot collaborations he has to his name. Ina sings the song wonderfully, singing about a guy that she know's it isn't worth getting serious with but can't stop thinking about. The "dum dum dara da" parts are so catchy and perfect for a dance floor sing-a-long.

65. TAYLOR SWIFT | DELICATE
My reputation's never been worse, so you must like me for me

The first real vulnerable moment from Taylor's album, 'Reputation', delicate is a really nice song centred around a love story set against the wreckage of Taylor's public image. The vocoder effect placed on the harmonies really helps add this quite distant feel to the song. I love the vulnerability of her man liking her for her, despite the fact her reputation has never been worse. Unfortunately I found 'Reputation' to be quite disappointing but this was a real highlight from the beginning.

64. TIARA THOMAS | RIDE YOU LIKE A WAVE
It's just so dysfunctional, that's the only way it functions though

One of the most underrated songs of the year, this song is just a beautiful sensual, smooth song that describes wanting to get lost with a lover and forgetting all the hardships that life brings. The production has this hopeful feel, it feels quite 80s in a way which sounds beautiful with Tiara's soft and soulful voice. The video is really good as well, considering that she is an independent artist with a very restricted budget!

63. MURA MASA + NAO | COMPLICATED
It's always the wrong thing that makes us feel right

I was lucky to see Mura Masa at a festival last New Year, and it was such an epic night. Unfortunately this song wasn't out yet, but I can only imagine this would be a great one to dance to. There's some great bouncy synths, and some sporadic bursts of guitar riffs that sound great with Nao's soulful vocals. Was surprised that Skrillex had a hand in this, as it is quite restrained, compared to what Skrillex is normally used to. Lyrically it is actually quite deep, she doesn't just love her partner - "I deeply do exalt you", but in typical Mura Masa fashion it sounds fun!

62. KALI UCHIS FT. STEVE LACY | JUST A STRANGER
If the devil was asleep, she'd knock him wide awake

'Just A Stranger' is a middle finger up to all of those random people who judge people they don't know. People are quick to judge someone who has different beliefs, a different way of life, basically if you don't behave exactly like them you will be judged. As Kali Uchis says, "Go on and say what you want, you're just a stranger watching from the bleachers". Kali plays the character of a girl that will take all your money and leave you with nothing, but don't judge she's just having fun.

61. THEOPHILUS LONDON FT. TAME IMPALA | ONLY YOU
Suddenly my mind was bringing out desire

Theophilus London and Tame Impala reunited together to create this reimagining of Steve Monite's 1984 song of the same name. The song doesn't stray too far from the original, but does update the instrumental slightly. I think this song will come from a bigger set of collaborative songs between Theo and Tame Impala. The video has this old VHS home video style feel to it, bringing the psychedelic vibes with it. Can't wait to see what these guys bring us next!

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Jorja, Jax and Years & Years are my favourite three there.
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:35 pm

70. DMA'S | IN THE AIR - reminds me of a post-Britpop band sounds, let's say Travis or maybe Stereophonics
61. THEOPHILUS LONDON FT. TAME IMPALA | ONLY YOU - I kinda wanted more from this collab
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:50 pm

"Sanctify" is brilliant! For me, it's the best thing Y&Y have ever done. I love the darkness and sensuality. "Apeshit" sounds great in a club setting, but I'm still underwhelmed by the Everything Is Love project. "Delicate" was a grower for me.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:53 am

I like Delicate from this batch.

I find Apeshit overrated, but considering how the whole album actually bombed, it's actually well rated
Carbon
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Delicate is almost the same as my position!
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:37 pm

60-51:

60. SABRINA CLAUDIO | MESSAGES FROM HER
Once you told me, if something's missing in me, to go and find it in you

Sabrina Claudio had it all going for her to become one of the breakthrough artists in 2018, with a critically acclaimed debut album and high profile collaboration with Khalid as her first single. Some old tweets resurfaced where Sabrina was shown bashing other females and making racist comments, and I've never seen someone be cancelled so quickly. Still, she has apologised and I believe she has grown and matured (I hope). She is truly talented and makes really timeless music, and 'Messages From Her' is a great example of that talent.

59. NAO FT. SIR | MAKE IT OUT ALIVE
And maybe you'll find a way to keep me afloat, when I can't

This is probably Nao's most straightforward R&B release to date, so definitely give it a listen if you like a good bit of R&B music. Nao wrote the song to describe the feeling in your late 20s when you're in a state of flux with relationships, work life, home situation etc...the feeling of how do you make it out of here? I think everyone in this age asks these questions, we are always comparing our situation with our peers or our parents and it can be tough sometimes. Nao and SiR sound absolutely beautiful harmonising with each other!

58. GRACE CARTER | WHY HER NOT ME
I'm not tryna burn myself but I can't let it go

When you first hear this beautiful ballad by Grace Carter, you think she's singing this to a former lover, but actually she wrote this song about her dad who left for another woman. This is Grace pleading with her father to tell her why he gave this other woman unconditional love, but giving his daughter only conditional love. It's written so beautifully, and you can really feel every word with her delivery. She has such a beautiful, unique voice as well. This girl has been tipped for big things in 2019, and you can see why.

57. RINA SAWAYAMA | CHERRY
Even though I'm satisfied, I lead my life within a lie

One of my favourite artists of 2018, Rina Sawayama brings us all the goodness of early 00s pop and R&B with modern flair. The Japanese/British popstar brings a summery slice of pop, that sounds like it would fit perfectly at a sleepover I'd have had in 1999 :lol: . The song lyrically articulates feeling lonely and confused, but also very excited when Rina first discovered that she also likes girls. Rina is very open about her pansexuality, and this song is her giving more representation to people who may feel confused with their feelings.

56. SWAE LEE, SLIM JXMMI + RAE SREMMURD | GUATEMALA
We can get away, maybe to Guatemala

This is one of the catchiest bops of the year, and I'm really surprised it wasn't a bigger hit. If it was released by Drake, it would have been a worldwide #1. Still I love the rhythmic production, and I really like Swae's voice. It's a very different sound for Swae/Rae Sremmurd, and takes influence from the latin wave that is big at the moment. I know the song wasn't as well received by some of Rae Sremmurd's fans, but it's just a feel good hazy, wind your window down kind of song! Nothing too serious, just fun - probably more for fans of Swae's collaboration with French Montana, mega-smash 'Unforgettable'.

55. THE 1975 | LOVE IT IF WE MADE IT
Modernity has failed us

'Love It If We Made It' is a social anthem, observing the volatile aspects of modern society but also giving the feelings of hope and optimism with its production and delivery. The song suggests that you can always find a way to keep going, even when you're drowning in the planet's collective misery. I think Matt Healy used real quotes and headlines within the lyrics of the song, which is a really cool idea. Quite similar lyrically actually to Nao's song earlier, these thoughts cross in most of our mid/late 20s minds at some point, questioning the direction the world is taking and how we can improve it.

54. TASH SULTANA | FREE MIND
When will my mind be free, from all the chains that hold me?

Tash Sultana explored many genres on her debut album, 'Flow State', and on 'Free Mind' she took her influence from the jazz/blues sounds both with the instrumentation and her vocal delivery. There is a bit of juxtaposition, however, between the lyrics and the instrumental. The instrumental is very smooth, and easy listening, however the lyrics describe the internal struggle to achieve some peace of mind. Tash Sultana sings the song so beautiful - sometimes you get hints of one her idols, Erykah Badu. I love when she sings more softly.

53. TROYE SIVAN | MY MY MY!
Now, let's stop running from love

Another Australian artist now! I love this song which is a true celebration of love, and the invincibility you feel when you are in new love. Troye sings the song with a lot of confidence, generating this sense of lust in the verses before exploding into the joyous chorus. He's not worried about what other people think, he just wants to know how far this fling can go. It's the first song that really made me stand up and take notice of Troye Sivan. I've liked his previous output, but this song officially put him on the radar. It's a pop banger at its heart, and I love that.

52. DIANA GORDON | KOOL AID
My love's forever, and my love is free, you can always come running to me

Previously known as Wynter Gordon, after some advice from Beyoncé Diana Gordon decided it was time for a reinvention. She now pours her heart and soul into her music, and lyrics. Her EP 'Pure' was all about her struggles growing up and family life. 'Kool Aid' is a soulful song, with some country flair, and is dedicated to her brothers. One of whom Diana was out of touch with for over 16 years, and who they eventually found homeless in LA. Diana's father abandoned the family soon after her birth, and her mother became intensely religious and domineering, so Diana was forced to become a parent to her 5 siblings - this song is an ode to that.

51. JANELLE MONAE | I LIKE THAT
A little crazy, little sexy, little cool

This is Janelle's statement to the world - she likes herself. She is confident and wants the listener to be happy and confident with themselves. I like the little story she tells in the middle, about a guy she liked rating her a 6 and whilst she did cry about it she still felt like she "was the sh*t". 'I Like That' is definitely the most radio friendly song that Janelle has released to date, and I believe with a bit more of a push it could have been a hit. The song is Janelle confirming to you that you cannot pigeonhole her into any category, and she's cool with that. "I don't really give a f*ck if I was just the only one".

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:45 pm

57. RINA SAWAYAMA | CHERRY - not quite the ''Cyber Stockholm Syndrome'', but still nice
heppolo
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:26 pm

good to see 'Delicate' on your countdown! 8-)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 pm

Sanctify is cool. Delicate is lovely, and I love Breathe but charted it last year. Never got the Jorja Smith hype, in fact her songs actually annoy me,

Yassss Grace Carter and Troye, both amazing!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby abi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 am

I'm still trying to get into Rina Sawayama which is weird why I haven't gotten into her music considering I also really like K-Pop which is pretty much an ode to early 00's Pop & R&B as well most of the time.
abi
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:26 pm

abi wrote:I'm still trying to get into Rina Sawayama which is weird why I haven't gotten into her music considering I also really like K-Pop which is pretty much an ode to early 00's Pop & R&B as well most of the time.
Have you heard this one? It's my faaave

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:11 am

"My My My!" was a big revelation moment for Troye for me, too! That bit you highlighted in "I Like That" is my favourite part as well! I loved Dirty Computer, and "I Like That" was the song I related to the most.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 pm

50-41:

50. JESSIE WARE | OVERTIME
I could drink you up like summer lemonade

After the more ballad-heavy 'Glasshouse', Jessie Ware surprise released this stand-a-lone single that took her back to her club roots. Produced by Bicep, this song is like a classic house track but with some modern flair as well. Jessie sounds flirtier than ever, on the song, with lyrics like "meet me at the bar, don't be late, I could drink you up". Also love the whisper-y vibes of the post chorus, that part feels so 90s and just ramps up the heat of the song so much. We're not sure if Jessie Ware's next album will sound more like this, but either way this was a great treat for her original fans!

49. M.O, LOTTO BOYZZ + MR EAZI | BAD VIBE
You can stay, you can come over here, if you know how to have good time

M.O seem to just release a steady stream of songs every now and again, with no idea of album in site. They are a very cool girl group, that jumped on the Afrobeats inspired train at the perfect time with 'Bad Vibe'...making it one of the first songs from this genre to really breakthrough with pop audiences. It may be because the song has a really positive vibe, all about telling people who bring bad vibes to go away and inviting those who are ready for a good time. It's super catchy, and there are great verses from Lotto Boyzz and Mr Eazi that bring the track together!

48. MALLRAT | GROCERIES
Really sorry about your broken heart, I'm trying to walk on broken glass

Was lucky enough to see Mallrat live a few times while I was in Australia, the girl has so many bops...a really fun time seeing her live. 'Groceries' is one of her more emotional tracks, set to an acoustic guitar melody but don't get that wrong - the song can still get you on your feet dancing! The song is about having a crush on someone, but not really wanting to crush on them because you're used to being independent. It's a great song for the summer, to listen when you're outdoors at the park or beach. Definitely recommend this if you're after a care-free sounding song!

47. KHALID, 6LACK + TY DOLLA $IGN | OTW
This the type of shit that you've been waiting all year for

Khalid brought the confidence with the lyric above, and he wasn't wrong. He knocked it out of the park with this collaboration with 6lack and Ty Dolla $ign. The song is about the anticipation and thrill of a new relationship, the song has that silky bass that is ready made for those late nights turning into early mornings. It's a very confident song, designed to have a seductive vibe and featuring three big names in R&B and hip-hop. Definitely a hit, and another top song to be added to Khalid's growing list of hits.

46. NICKI MINAJ | CHUN-LI
This is King Kong? Yes, Miss King Kong!

Nicki Minaj has had an interesting 2018. Her personality has at best been messy, at worst been damn annoying but if you can overlook the foolery, she has released some fantastic music. I think competition from new females brought out a new fire in her music. If only she could now concentrate on that rather than the other rubbish she involves herself in. 'Chun-Li' was a real moment when it was released, it felt like the rap queen coming back to take her crown. This song just proves that Nicki's pen game is far ahead compared to her peers, she slayed the wordplay on this one.

45. ROSALÍA | BAGDAD (CAP. 7: LITURGIA)

Had to skip the lyrics on this, as I don't speak or understand Spanish! :P 'Bagdad' is a song that has a prominent 'Cry Me A River' by JT sample, which she beautifully interpolates into the pre-chorus of this song. Justin is notorious for not giving permission to use samples, so the thumbs up he gave Rosalía is big! The song is about those who drown in their own sorrow, so the 'Cry Me A River' sample also works in this context. A big reason as to why I love this girl, is due to her visuals. She is a real artist, and the video for this song is STUNNING. Rosalía plays plays a stripper who locks herself in the toilets of a club, and proceeds to cry a literal river of tears that she drowns in and then is reborn as a deity. 'Bagdad' is also named after a club in her home city, rather than the Iraqi capital!

44. HALSEY | WITHOUT ME
I put you right back on your feet, just so you can take advantage of me

Another 'Cry Me A River' sample here, JT must have been feeling very generous! This is probably Halsey's most personal song to date, which is probably why I ended up loving it so much more than her other songs I've heard. I've sometimes found her a little pretentious, so it's nice to see that pretence gone and getting something very emotional and personal to her with this song. It's about a man that Halsey found broken, and helped him get his life together, only for him to end up taking advantage of her. This song was very hard for Halsey to write, and she says she spent much of the recording process crying, which does come through with the emotion of the song.

43. A$AP ROCKY + SKEPTA | PRAISE THE LORD (DA SHINE)
Create, explore, expand, conquer

A brilliant US meets UK collaboration here, between A$AP Rocky and Skepta. This track works so well...it has a similar flute-like riff that has been seen in other grime hits such as 'Shut Up' by Stormzy, but the production is well and truly US hip-hop. So apparently A$AP and Skepta were both tripping on LSD when they wrote and recorded this song, and I think you kind of can tell when you listen to the rhymes. The rhymes are short and sharp, and they both riff off each other well especially in the middle of the song where they swap lines with quick fire.

42. KIANA LEDÉ | EX
I don't wanna be your ex, we're way too good at being friends

One of my favourite new R&B discoveries of 2018, and one of the most beautiful girls I've seen - Kiana Ledé caught my attention originally with 'Fairplay' from 2017. This song was more of a grower, but now it's my favourite of her songs. The song looks back at a previous relationship, and how she wishes they could just go back to being friends rather than this label of "ex". It's a case of drama-free break-up where you don't lose the friendship. I really like that message, as often you feel like you can't be friends with your ex but I am friends with a couple of mine and it can work where you almost forget you were ever together other than as friends! :lol:

41. AMY SHARK | I SAID HI
I stand in the corner like a tired boxer, one hand on my cheekbone, one hand on the rope

I think this song ended up becoming one of my most played songs of 2018 surprisingly. Maybe because it's quite short, or maybe because I was intensely obsessed with it for a while1 :lol: The verses actually have quite dark, sad imagery of a tired and worn out Amy Shark wondering when things will get better for her, but then the chorus strikes and it's like a triumphant applause and middle finger to all of those who thought she would give up. "Tell them all I said hi, have a nice day" she tells her haters! This girl is literally massive now in Australia, and only a matter of time before the rest of the world catches up.

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:46 pm

48. MALLRAT | GROCERIES - peaked at #8 in my daily chart as soon as it was released, a dreamy piece of catchy electropop.
42. KIANA LEDÉ | EX - a little bit of ''outside the box'' R&B groove
heppolo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Here for Grace, Nao and Janelle!

Overtime was and still is an absolutely effing amazing tune.

Agree about Nicki and Chun-Li, kinda despise her these days but love that song.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 pm

I agree with everything you wrote about "Chun-Li" and Nicki. "Without Me" has grown a lot on me. I love the massive on chorus on "I Said Hi" as well! It's basic pop, but good stuff nonetheless.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:36 pm

Without Me is pretty great, probably my best Halsey song to date. She made me laugh for all the wrong reasons when she was talking about the JT sample, felt she had to point out which bit it was, THEN felt she had to point out the bit she was inspired by. Girl we ain't dumb :lol:

Bad Vibe is my fave here, would have made my one hundred in a less competitive year, I like it.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby UKMusicLova » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:17 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:Without Me is pretty great, probably my best Halsey song to date. She made me laugh for all the wrong reasons when she was talking about the JT sample, felt she had to point out which bit it was, THEN felt she had to point out the bit she was inspired by. Girl we ain't dumb :lol:
:lol: Bless her! I have seen a few interviews, and she does come across as a bit pretentious sometimes :oops:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:15 pm

40-31:

40. NORMANI FT. 6LACK | WAVES
When I have you wanna leave you, if you go that's when I need you

Normani is an absolute queen, and I cannot wait for her to take over the scene in 2019. All the music she has released so far, has shown that she has a vision and has confidence to push herself into solo stardom. This song is vibe-y R&B, with Normani sounding wonderful and bringing in a great feature verse from 6lack. The song is about being conflicted between wanting to keep your lover, or whether to let them go. Normani almost angrily sings in the pre-chorus "F*cking hate you, then I love you, I can't help myself" - she almost sounds frustrated before coming through with ethereal vocals in the chorus. Normani is not coming to play y'all...

39. ELLA MAI | BOO'D UP
When I'm with you I can't breathe, boy, you do something to me

One of the surprise smashes of the 2018 (in the US at least) came from British R&B singer, Ella Mai. This song just seemed to blow up in the States, I think possibly the first Top 10 by a UK female R&B artist since Estelle's 'American Boy'. Anyway, it's not a surprise when you listen to the song as to why it could be a hit. It's a very cute, catchy R&B song that makes you feel nostalgic for those R&B sounds of the mid-00s. The song is the epitome of summer jam, it makes you want to sip cocktails at the beach, which is just what I did while listening to the song in the summer! :lol: I just wish her home country, the UK, would show her the same kind of love. About time we had some good R&B be successful here.

38. CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS | 5 DOLLARS
You're eager and unashamed

'5 Dollars' is possibly the most pop and accessible of Christine and the Queen's singles, released from her album 'Chris'. The song really encapsulates how good of a songwriter she is, the song is perfectly poised between sweetness and melancholy. Christine described the song as being 'so tender, so disheveled'. The song is basically about the type of love you can buy, can be quite literal - i.e. $5 for sex. To hear a song that takes paying for sex and creates something as punchy and uplifting as '5 Dollars' really goes a long way into showing her talents. The French version '5 Dols' is also really good, if you don't mind listening to songs in a different language!

37. JHENÉ AIKO FT. SWAE LEE | SATIVA
Only drug a bitch is on is the tree

I absolutely love Jhené. The way she glides over melodies really takes you into your world. Even when I saw her live, despite the strong smell of weed hovering around the audience ( :P ), she is able to do the same thing. 'Sativa' almost has a bit of a psychedelic feel to it, using a good high as a metaphor for sensuality. This song is a great stoners duet between Jhene and Swae, they both bring the same vibe to the song which is great. Through the haziness of the song, Jhene is definitely in charge, setting the pace between her and her lover. She may be high as f*ck, but she knows what she wants.

36. SHAWN MENDES | IN MY BLOOD
Help me, it's like the walls are caving in

If you would have told me that Shawn Mendes would be in my top 100, let alone top 40, a year ago I'd probably dismiss that idea...but here we are. This song is just beautiful, you can really feel every word that Shawn is singing, and I think it's a message that a lot of people will resonate to in this day and age. Sometimes it does feel like it could be easier to give up on things we're passionate about, be that a job, a relationship or life but I think our generation is good at fighting in times of adversity. The vocal performance here is great, well done Shawn! More of this please!

35. MAHALIA | I WISH I MISSED MY EX
Don't you know you're so predictable, I can tell you everything you're gonna say

Another artist who is tipped for big things in 2019, Mahalia is a rising British singer who is all about giving us those cool retro R&B sounds. 'I Wish I Missed My Ex' is her strongest release to date, and the one that I think has brought her the most attention from blogs and new fans. She has received comparisons to fellow Midlands girl, Jorja Smith, but whereas Jorja's music is has a cinematic feel, Mahalia's music is much more down to earth taking influences from earthy R&B, jazz and soul. This song is pure shade that Mahalia is throwing at her ex, she doesn't want to put up with his predictable ways every time he is lonely trying to beg for her bag. Not today!

34. DUA LIPA | IDGAF
Cause if you think that I care about you now, well boy I don't give a f*ck

Similar message to the previous song from Mahalia. Why do men think that women are longing for them after a breakup, like we just sit at home heartbroken. Well these ladies are hopefully teaching these guys that we actually don't care, once we have cut you off, that is it! Dua is not lacking any sass in this song as she confidently tells her ex that she really doesn't care about him anymore. Dua was my #1 last year with another f*ckboy bashing anthem, 'New Rules'. I think this song suffered a bit from being overplayed too much, otherwise it may have been challenging the top 10 as well!

33. CARDI B FT. BAD BUNNY + J BALVIN | I LIKE IT
Yep they call be Cardi B, but I run this shit like Cardi-O

If there was a song that really showed off Cardi B's personality, then it has to be 'I Like It'. It is so fun, it really feels like you're at a party when you listen to the song, and no-one else could have brought the energy that Cardi did on this. It's the song that really made her an international star, and one of the biggest hits of the year. Again, like 'IDGAF', I think it suffered from being overplayed a bit otherwise it probably could have been even higher on my list. I really like Cardi, she is just unapologetically herself and it's refreshing to see a girl that came from the hood not trying to promote a false image. She is inspiring young fans from similar backgrounds, that they can make it as well!

32. ROBYN | HONEY
No you're not gonna get what you need, but I have what you want

I adore how the bass in the production of this song almost acts as the heartbeat of the song. The song is so incredible intimate and sensual. Robyn balances somehow balances the vibe of this song somewhere between explosive and muted. The song just feels like floating in a gold sea, with Robyn's voice offering the waves. It's a long song but doesn't overstay it's welcome, really allowing Robyn the space to convey her message. She's might not give you what you need, but she does have what you want. Almost sounds quite sinister, and I love that!

31. NAO FT. 6LACK | IF YOU EVER
There's a stairway to heaven, and maybe we can climb to them

Nao takes quite a simple approach to love with 'If You Ever', asking the question "would you like to go, like to go with me?". Nao's frequent collaborator, Mura Masa, co-produced and co-wrote this song, which boasts an atmospheric mix of synths and strings as well as a skipping afrobeats inspired percussion. There's a sense of wanderlust to Nao's vocals on this song, and 6lack keeps that energy with a great feature! I really wish Nao would blow up, because songs like this would fit very well on the charts but still would also bring something slightly different. On the other hand, it's nice to have her as a discovery for those who are in the know! :P

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:57 pm

32. ROBYN | HONEY - I gotta admit, I was disappointed by ''Honey'' at first, but gradually warmed up to listen to it again.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 pm

Sativa - great stoner song! very chill
Honey - great song for other drugs :lol: but in all seriousness - amazing song
Carbon
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Really like 'In My Blood'. :D
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 pm

69. YEARS & YEARS | SANCTIFY
68. THE CARTERS | APESHIT
65. TAYLOR SWIFT | DELICATE
53. TROYE SIVAN | MY MY MY!
51. JANELLE MONAE | I LIKE THAT
46. NICKI MINAJ | CHUN-LI
44. HALSEY | WITHOUT ME
41. AMY SHARK | I SAID HI
40. NORMANI FT. 6LACK | WAVES
38. CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS | 5 DOLLARS
36. SHAWN MENDES | IN MY BLOOD
34. DUA LIPA | IDGAF
33. CARDI B FT. BAD BUNNY + J BALVIN | I LIKE IT

Quite a lot that I like from the last few updates. "I Like It", "I Said Hi" and "Without Me" are definitely my faves, with "Delicate", "My My My!", "Sanctify", "In My Blood" and "Chun-Li" being very good too.
Tansike
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts