Nicki Minaj
7%
P!nk
7%
Taylor Swift
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:01 am

Yes, I am aware that it's February and that we're well into the year 2013 but this is the final of my trio of year-end charts so bear with me for a few weeks!

Now, as you'll notice, the poll question asks which artist you predict will be #2. My Artist of the Year is so obvious (well, she should be by now) that like last year, I think it'll be more interesting to have you guys guess who the runner-up will be. Before I introduce the contenders for second best, let me just explain how I calculated the statistics to rank these acts.

Using my year-end charts, I gave artists points for each song and album that they had ranking in my Top 100 and Top 25, respectively. For instance, take "Blown Away" which ranked at #1. Carrie received 100 points for that song. Rihanna received 99 points for "Diamonds" at #2 and so forth. As for the albums, take Born To Die which was #1. Since there were 25 albums, Born To Die received 25 points but I multiplied that figure by 4 so in actuality, that #1 ranking was worth 100 points. (This was done to bring the points from the albums list more in line with the points from the songs list). Also, the number of times I played them over the course of 2012 was also factored in so if P!nk was played 750 times, she received a point for each play.

The five contenders for the runner-up position are depicted below. Good luck guessing, folks! :D

Last edited by JSparksFan on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:06 am

I'll go with Lana as your #2, but it could just as easily be Carrie. Will be following this :D
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Haribo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 am

Oh, another countdown!
Haribo
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:32 pm

If Lana is in the Top 3...
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby Serby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Waittt... since you love giving Rihanna #2 positions, and this time she's not even a option, could she be your #1??? :D

I want Lana n Top3 at least, poszi can stay mad.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks for the comments, guys! :D The first batch (the missed set) is coming your way in a few minutes!

toni_pest wrote:I'll go with Lana as your #2, but it could just as easily be Carrie. Will be following this :D
I'm absolutely shocked that Carrie's not received a single vote yet. :o

Haribo wrote:Oh, another countdown!
It's the last of the three! 8-)

PosziMC2 wrote:If Lana is in the Top 3...
You will then read your pamphlet on "How To Deal" and follow the instructions provided.

serbia95riri wrote:Waittt... since you love giving Rihanna #2 positions, and this time she's not even a option, could she be your #1??? :D

I want Lana n Top3 at least, poszi can stay mad.
Yes. :lol:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:54 pm

Okay, I won't provide any write-ups for this missed set but I'll try to do so for all the artists that made the Top 25 cut. I don't think there's anyone in this batch that you guys will be too upset to see leave before the party begins.

#30. Frank Ocean - 164 points

Code: Select all
Last Year's Rank: [NE]
# of Plays: 120 plays
Year-End Songs: Thinkin Bout You [#57]

#29. Ke$ha - 190 points

# of Plays: 106 plays
Year-End Songs: Die Young [#49]
Year-End Albums: Warrior [#17]

#28. Olly Murs - 207 points

Last Year's Rank: #9
# of Plays: 161 plays
Year-End Songs: Troublemaker [#82]
Year-End Albums: Right Place Right Time [#19]

#27. Trey Songz - 219 points

# of Plays: 139 plays
Year-End Songs: Heart Attack [#60]
Year-End Albums: Chapter V [#16]

#26. Alicia Keys - 226 points

Last Year's Rank: [NE}
# of Plays: 115 plays
Year-End Songs: Girl On Fire [#37]
Year-End Albums: Girl On Fire [#14]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Aliciallah :cry: :cry: :cry: your countdowns are always bad sis. Sorry :lol: :lol: :lol:
P=MC2's Top 20
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby Haribo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Good to see Alicia!
Haribo
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Olly had a great year, and Ke$ha also had a nice one, not really upset they missed the top 25 though
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Tripolis » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Bar Ke$ha, I don't really favour any of the artists that missed your top 25.

Frank Ocean is so overrated and boring... I just don't see what's so unique or amazing about him and his songs are boring.

I like Olly's singles in general but I didn't really check out his album so I can't really judge. "Troublemaker" is a great track though.

Not into Trey Songz and his music. Alicia's album was underwhelming at best, probably the biggest disappointment of 2012 for me.

As for your #1, I'm 99% sure it's going to be Rihanna but I hope MC just snags the title from her... anyway, I voted for Lana Del Rey in your poll as I believe she's the only true contender for your #2 artist of the year seeing the success she had on your singles and albums chart.
Tripolis
Manager

Postby Lemo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Frank and Alicia are two fantastic urban artists. We don't hear enough of this genre anymore. Good stuff anyway
"you act like nothing really happened but it meant the world to me"
Lemo
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:27 am

Thanks for the comments, guys! :D

PosziMC2 wrote:Aliciallah :cry: :cry: :cry: your countdowns are always bad sis. Sorry :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aw, but I always include your faves...just at positions you'd rather not seem them at. :lol:

Haribo wrote:Good to see Alicia!
Looks like this batch has a clear favourite!

toni_pest wrote:Olly had a great year, and Ke$ha also had a nice one, not really upset they missed the top 25 though
I was a bit disappointed with them both but moreso with Ke$ha.

Tripolis wrote:Bar Ke$ha, I don't really favour any of the artists that missed your top 25.

Frank Ocean is so overrated and boring... I just don't see what's so unique or amazing about him and his songs are boring.

I like Olly's singles in general but I didn't really check out his album so I can't really judge. "Troublemaker" is a great track though.

Not into Trey Songz and his music. Alicia's album was underwhelming at best, probably the biggest disappointment of 2012 for me.

As for your #1, I'm 99% sure it's going to be Rihanna but I hope MC just snags the title from her... anyway, I voted for Lana Del Rey in your poll as I believe she's the only true contender for your #2 artist of the year seeing the success she had on your singles and albums chart.
Well, considering that that was a missed batch, it's probably for the best that you don't like them much.

I'd have to echo your thoughts about Frank save for "Thinkin Bout You", "Sweet Life", and "Swim Good". Those three are pretty fantastic. I have to recommend Trey's "Pretty Girl's Lie" if you've not yet heard it. It's not the typical track you'd expect from him. The lyrics and vocals are both on point!

Lemo wrote:Frank and Alicia are two fantastic urban artists. We don't hear enough of this genre anymore. Good stuff anyway
I think R&B music has suffered a bit but there are still some fantastic Urban acts out there. It's just that many of them aren't as successful as they ought to be. :(
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Jonathan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:54 am

Voted for Lana in the poll.

Glad to see Alicia, Girl on Fire and the title track were my most played Alicia's album and song too.
Jonathan
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:55 am

#25. The Wanted - 244 points

They've not reached the fever pitch success as their younger counterparts One Direction but The Wanted have forged quite a respectable era for themselves in 2012 and delivered two fantastic videos for two of their most infectious singles to date: "Chasing The Sun" and "I Found You". They're still trying to crack the US market though follow-up efforts to "Glad You Came" failed to replicate that summer anthem's success. We'll see what fate awaits them in 2013 but I sense the best is yet to come from them.
# of Plays: 144 plays
Year-End Songs: I Found You [#39], Chasing The Sun [#59]

#24. Carly Rae Jepsen - 251 points

She'll most likely forever be remembered as the "Call Me Maybe" girl but it's a pretty brilliant Pop song so if I could be a one hit wonder, I wouldn't mind if that song was that one hit. I don't expect to hear much from her in 2013 as her album pretty much tanked everywhere but her signature song remains one of the defining tracks of 2012 and I think it'll be remembered for a few years to come. Surprising but lovely end to that "Call Me Maybe" video too!
# of Plays: 135 plays
Year-End Songs: Call Me Maybe [#24], Curiosity [#75], This Kiss [#91], Good Time [#96]

#23. Bruno Mars - 263 points

Coming in at exactly where he was last year, Bruno Mars was probably the male artist I was most excited about in 2012. I knew the follow-up to Doo-Wops & Hooligans would be good but after the underwhelming first single, I must admit that some doubts began to creep in. The album set those worries to rest though. The record's only flaw is that it's much too short, but I cannot wait to see how this new era plays out. He's not got as many radio-friendly, surefire hits this time around but "Locked Out of Heaven" ended up becoming far more successful than I predicted it would be so Bruno's Midas Touch continues.
Last Year's Rank: #23
# of Plays: 174 plays
Year-End Songs: Locked Out of Heaven [#83]
Year-End Albums: Unorthodox Jukebox [#8]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Haribo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 am

Good to see Carly Rae Jepsen & Bruno Mars. I don't like "Locked Out of Heaven" at all though, but I got into "Just the Way You Are" in 2012. :)
Haribo
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:24 am

Thanks for the comments, you two! 8-)

jkkdark wrote:Voted for Lana in the poll.

Glad to see Alicia, Girl on Fire and the title track were my most played Alicia's album and song too.
Recently, I've really been getting into "Brand New Me". It's a gem.

Haribo wrote:Good to see Carly Rae Jepsen & Bruno Mars. I don't like "Locked Out of Heaven" at all though, but I got into "Just the Way You Are" in 2012. :)
Yeah, as overplayed as that song was, it's still among my favourite tracks from him. It's so sweet!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:46 am

#22. Maroon 5 - 283 points

While I've never been a hardcore Maroon 5 fan, I have enjoyed a number of their singles over the years. Though "Payphone" was annoyingly overrated, I did enjoy "One More Night" immensely and consequently checked out their Overexposed record which I considered to be among the best Pop releases of 2012. A number of fans and non-fans alike have criticized the band for "selling out" but I think once an act can make quality music, it shouldn't matter under which genre said music falls. Regardless, I am excited for what 2013 holds for Maroon 5 and I hope they continue recording music in the same vein as Overexposed.
# of Plays: 154 plays
Year-End Singles: One More Night [#18]
Year-End Albums: Overexposed [#13]

#21. Katy Perry - 299 points

For the third consecutive year Katy Perry makes my year-end artists list but this time marks the very first that she misses the Top 20. Her fall is due largely to the fact that 2012 was pretty much the wrapping up of the massively successful Teenage Dream era, one of the most successful and enduring eras from a Pop artist in recent years. (For mere comparison sake, her Teenage Dream era outlasted two and a half from her good friend Rihanna). Expect her to make quite the rebound in 2013 as she gears up to release her third LP.
Last Year's Rank: #15
# of Plays: 209 plays
Year-End Singles: Wide Awake [#46], Part of Me [#64]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Haribo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:46 am

Maroon 5 aren't my cup of tea at all... Good to see Katy Perry and "Wide Awake". Amazing song! :D
Haribo
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:11 am

Yay for Trey, Alicia, Katy, and Maroon 5. :P
abi
Legend

Postby Spartan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Katy's had a fairly average year, but I can understand why she's milking Teenage Dream for all it's worth as I doubt she'll repeat that level of success.
Maroon 5 are obviously awesome but should really be renamed 'Adam Levine & some less attractive people'. :wink:
Spartan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm fine with The Wanted, Katy Perry, Olly & Maroon 5 ;)

Cannot wait to get your #1; voted for that country lady :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby PosziMC2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Mother Perrysa :cry: :cry: :cry: coming for Knee and the others in 2013 (too)
P=MC2's Top 20
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:14 am

Thanks for the comments, everyone! 8-)

Haribo wrote:Maroon 5 aren't my cup of tea at all... Good to see Katy Perry and "Wide Awake". Amazing song! :D
Well, even if you don't like their music, you've got to appreciate the other 'goods' Adam brings to the table. :wink:

abi wrote:Yay for Trey, Alicia, Katy, and Maroon 5. :P
Finally some love for Trey! 8-)

Spartan wrote:Katy's had a fairly average year, but I can understand why she's milking Teenage Dream for all it's worth as I doubt she'll repeat that level of success.
Maroon 5 are obviously awesome but should really be renamed 'Adam Levine & some less attractive people'. :wink:
That's so true! I don't know any of the other four's names and I'm sure if I saw them in the street I wouldn't recognize them. :lol:

Mainshow wrote:I'm fine with The Wanted, Katy Perry, Olly & Maroon 5 ;)

Cannot wait to get your #1; voted for that country lady :D
I take it "that country lady" refers to Carrie?

PosziMC2 wrote:Mother Perrysa :cry: :cry: :cry: coming for Knee and the others in 2013 (too)
Let's see how she fares against the original. :wink:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 am

#20. Little Mix - 312 points

The British have had a reputation of churning out quality girl groups (Spice Girls, Girls Aloud, The Saturdays, etc.) and Little Mix continue that trend. Their vocals are so sugary sweet but powerful too and the girls harmonize flawlessly together. They make quite the entertaining quartet and managed to win me over in 2012 with two impressive singles, "Wings" and "DNA" and a rocking Pop record DNA. I do hope they can crack the US market this year because such talent deserves success.
# of Plays: 97 plays
Year-End Songs: DNA [#23], Wings [#29]
Year-End Albums: DNA [#9]

#19. Usher - 320 points

I've always considered to Usher to be the greatest male entertainer of his generation and really the closest living male we have to MJ but I was grossly disappointed with his work this era. "Climax" and "Scream" were both strong singles that gave me high expectations for the album but Looking 4 Myself was so underwhelming, inconsistent, and just plain dull in parts that I have to consider it a blemish on his record. I look forward to bigger and better things from him in the future because when Usher gets it, he gets it, and I know that he is capable of creating brilliance. Whatever didn't click this time around, hopefully will next try.
# of Plays: 267 plays
Year-End Songs: Scream [#43], Climax [#68], Dive [#79]

#18. Justin Bieber - 349 points

How fitting that JB ranks just above his mentor! I've been a Bieber fan pretty much from the inception but it was this era that the Biebster delivered his greatest tune to date, the infectious, dubstep-influenced "As Long As You Love Me". It's so far and above anything else he's done before that it's really incredible to think that just three years ago that this was the same boy who brought us "One Time". His 2012 release Believe proved to be his most Urban album to date as he enlisted some pretty big names in Hip/Hop to help rebrand himself and secure for himself a lasting career in the industry. It'll be interesting to see if with the One Direction invasion just how long Bieber fever will last but regardless of his level of popularity, I do hope that he continues to pop out high quality singles like he did this era.
Last Year's Rank: [NE}
# of Plays: 203 plays
Year-End Songs: As Long As You Love Me [#11], Beauty and a Beat [#55]
Year-End Albums: Believe [#23]
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts