Shania Twain | Now

Postby AlmondBreeze » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:35 pm

I am starting to really like the album now. It's a new direction for her - no more rock country with all the bells and whistles and clever harmonies from Mutt. And of course, her voice has drastically changed. But after a few listens and once I stopped comparing it with her old stuff, her new stuff is still good - just different and more mature. I didn't think much of Swingin at first listen but have been humming it all day.

In any event, even with Up, I didn't like the album at first in the early 2000's and only started liking it earlier this year when I left it playing continuously throughout the day. So that meant I had a wonderful Shania album for 15 or so years and never even knew it!
AlmondBreeze
Manager

Postby p0isonparadise » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:48 pm

p0isonparadise
Roadie

Postby SalBoy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Ironically “Now” doesn’t exist with this album. Amazing voice. Her look. But album itself isn’t better than any pop girl couldn’t record. This album supposed to be a big come back but turned out as something what is not easy to listen to. Production. Lyrics. Very bad comeback and I don’t see point to make any more albums because I don’t want her legacy been disturbed by music like this. Better be quiet do some nice turn ups at some events and stay at home enjoy the retirement...
Meaning of Grammy - album of the decade!!!
SalBoy
Roadie

Postby Controlfreak » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Shania Twain (Mercury Nashville) 121-132k SPS, 120-130k album

She's coming at No.1
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby woabritney » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:07 pm

^ WOW -- that must be the biggest gap between sales and streaming ever. Good sales for Shania though, and congrats to her for scoring a number 1 album against the youngins Miley and Demi!
woabritney
Personal Assistant

Postby snwbrder757 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:14 am

SalBoy wrote:Ironically “Now” doesn’t exist with this album. Amazing voice. Her look. But album itself isn’t better than any pop girl couldn’t record. This album supposed to be a big come back but turned out as something what is not easy to listen to. Production. Lyrics. Very bad comeback and I don’t see point to make any more albums because I don’t want her legacy been disturbed by music like this. Better be quiet do some nice turn ups at some events and stay at home enjoy the retirement...
This album is phenominal..
snwbrder757
Manager

Postby Washingtonian25 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:24 am

It's a really good POP album imo. I don't understand what's with people. But "Poor Me" needs to be a single.
Washingtonian25
Manager

Postby mike_z » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:08 am

I agree. Poor Me is really strong. They really need to push it!
mike_z
Manager

Postby Mikerocha » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:01 pm

I’m Alright is my favorite. Very Shania.
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby Hype » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 pm

I knew she'd do good numbers! She has three diamond certified albums already under her belt, one of which is the biggest selling album by a female artist ever! There was never any question.
CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.
Hype
Legend

Postby SawyerHewitt » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Yep, this is a solid effort, tbh.
Poor me and I'm alright <3
Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.
SawyerHewitt
Manager

Postby AlmondBreeze » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:43 pm

Loving "Home Now" - closest in production to her old stuff (big anthemic country rock with lots of instruments in the background). Also loving "Swingin" and Who's "Gonna be Your Girl".
AlmondBreeze
Manager

Postby mike_z » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:36 am

I'm Alright is really strong too. There is some amazing vocal work going on there, especially on the backvocals performed by Shania at the end. Very powerful!
mike_z
Manager

Postby AlmondBreeze » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:35 pm

Her songwriting skills are really great - catchy melodies and lyrics - especially given the fact that she is writing for her voice which has a much reduced range. If she had the voice of one of the vocal triniity or legends like Tina or Heart or even Carrie Underwood, I imagine her songs would be even more powerful and catchy.
AlmondBreeze
Manager

Postby ArmyOfMe » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Hype wrote:I knew she'd do good numbers! She has three diamond certified albums already under her belt, one of which is the biggest selling album by a female artist ever! There was never any question.
You can still manage to flop badly even with such a record, tbh. Ask Mariah...
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Hype » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:25 pm

But she the material she releases is sub-par compared to her 90s discography and TEOM. This is by no means as good as Come On Over, Up!, or Woman In Me, but it's still nice.... she's also been away for 15 years so we had time to miss her.
Hype
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:03 am

For Shania Twain in 2017, this record is absolutely fine.
Thriller

Postby topopMAC1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:07 am

I think the album is strong! It's different in the sense that the more humourous, witty, sassy lyrics have gone and now her lyrics are a lot more open, heartbreaking and personal. It's not surprising after all of the heartbreak she's had to endure during her life. She is an artist after all, so has to write about all she's gone through. The sound is a lot more pop/folky than the last couple of albums and a bit less country. I can't wait to see her live next year - she was brilliant in Hyde Park last month!
"This time I'm gonna get it right. I'm gonna paint my face like the Guggenheim!"
topopMAC1
Legend

Postby SawyerHewitt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 am

Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.
SawyerHewitt
Manager

Postby AlmondBreeze » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm

I love Home Now so much. My favourite from the whole album. She needs to release it to Country radio/vid now and release a pop mix to AC and pop stations. It is a 10/10 melody and listeners can interpret the lyrics in a way to fit most people's life. This is the song that can make the album go on fire.
AlmondBreeze
Manager

Postby SawyerHewitt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm alright gots to be the next single.
IN LUV W/IT ATM!!!
SawyerHewitt
Manager

Postby Thriller » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:52 pm

She got the #1 album in the UK! Pleased for her after how silly Wolf Alice were being in the week. Only 774 sales ahead!
Thriller

Postby Hype » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 pm

YES SHANIA!

I'm so happy she got the number 1 here and in the US and Canada. Any sales figures for the album yet?
Hype
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:01 pm

YES!!! So deserving!
BlueScorpion
Manager

Postby LotsOfLove » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:08 pm

The 4 bonus songs are such a nice addition to the album ! :D

Actually the first half of the album is my least favorite. Home Now, Much Fun and Who's gonna be your girl are quite disposable. But after Much Fun everything is super nice! Really like it.

The album opener is such a strong song! Love the energy during the chorus. Going to buy this album very soon.
LotsOfLove
Manager

Return to Country, Folk & World Music