A Star Is Born

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby thankfulforkelly » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Really enjoyable film, although the end shocked me. Didn’t realise Gaga was such a talented actress
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:02 pm

I watched this last night in theatres, and it fell flat for me. I think it may be because of this:

BillyBlitzkid wrote:But the thing that I was wondering the whole time isn't Gaga just playing her own story sort of? She started in the bars with a piano-based sound until she was discovered and pimped up to stardom until she kind of came to her senses and went back to the roots. That said I still loved it, the music is overwhelmingly good and suits her and the movie so well. I hope for some recognition in form of an Oscar nod.
It did feel so autobiographical that I felt there wasn't much 'acting' involved. I also didn't like the idea illustrated that pop stars are these manufactured acts with no depth or songwriting talent - especially when Gaga herself is one of many examples of that train of thought being baseless - and artists who play instruments and sing slow ballads are paragons of music excellence.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:00 am

JSparksFan wrote:I watched this last night in theatres, and it fell flat for me. I think it may be because of this:

BillyBlitzkid wrote:But the thing that I was wondering the whole time isn't Gaga just playing her own story sort of? She started in the bars with a piano-based sound until she was discovered and pimped up to stardom until she kind of came to her senses and went back to the roots. That said I still loved it, the music is overwhelmingly good and suits her and the movie so well. I hope for some recognition in form of an Oscar nod.
It did feel so autobiographical that I felt there wasn't much 'acting' involved. I also didn't like the idea illustrated that pop stars are these manufactured acts with no depth or songwriting talent - especially when Gaga herself is one of many examples of that train of thought being baseless - and artists who play instruments and sing slow ballads are paragons of music excellence.

Most Female Popstars do start this way, an album or 3 (depending on the artists success) of what the label wants and then they can be themselves an do what they want.
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby Ewokguy15 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:02 am

I went to the movie today and I found it to be simply a great film! the acting was top notch, Shangela and Willam were in it and the soundtrack was exceptional.

10/10
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby moviepost » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:11 am

The soundtrack is so good, heart wrenching.
moviepost
Groupie

Postby thebigham » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:53 pm

I'm late to the game. I saw this yesterday.

I really liked it.

I was impressed with Gaga.

And with Cooper's directing...

But, not his acting. He couldn't cry actual tears during his big emotional scenes??

Loved the supporting cast.

There was less music in it than I thought.
thebigham
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Finally saw this.

Gaga was adequate... I just didn’t buy into her character. I blame most of that on the script, but she failed to bring out the right emotions at the end of the movie. I believe it was setup for Ally to be the eternal victim and by the end I’m totally over that.

Where was the modern woman in all this? Ally is given all of her confidence from a man, is turned into a popstar by another man, loses her integrity along the way and is turned into a laughing stock by a husband. She also has zero female friends. Her entire world, her self worth, her validation... it all comes from men. Her only saving grace is that her husband kills himself (selfish) and thus is saved by a man, from a man too. Even her best friend - a guy - sets up the introduction that changes her life.

The character is so unbelievably weak it’s unreal, and I’m really surprised Bradley got Gaga to play her as a weak woman too: where were the cut aways of pure emotion (the silent tear as she realises what her life has become, the look of annoyance etc) from this woman struggling to balance her career and the professional jealousy of her substance living alcoholic husband?

And she brings a dog into the mix! It was like when a woman tries to have a baby to save a marriage - never a wise move. Although I must say, the dog was absolutely the most gorgeous of creatures and by far the best looking in this movie.

Bradley Cooper however... he NAILED IT. He absolutely nailed it. I can’t fault his performance at all (except for one scene where he carries Gaga to a bed in his boxers - he slipped out of his character’s accent into his own in that one scene). Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t win Best Actor and possibly even Best Director at the Oscars for this.

Because this is his movie in every way. I just wish the ending has been better - his character imo should have been able to find the strength to leave his wife, buy a ranch and retire into obscurity. The only reason he sort of had to die was to ‘save’ Ally - by dying her character gets the whole world’s support. But she should have saved herself.

I’ll be interested to see if they reduce Gaga from lead actress to supporting actress in an attempt to secure her an Oscar nomination though.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby nympho » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:34 pm

I know not everybody would like it, and that you really hate her, but that review... :lol:
It has to be one of the most biased reviews I’ve ever read. The critics and public acclaim for both the film and her acting is there.

I even would say in your attempt to not like Gaga in the film you didn’t understand the film at all.

And, obviously, in the event she’s nominated for an Oscar, it will be for lead female.
nympho
Superstar

Postby Eamon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:03 pm

I saw this last night and while I knew the story to an extent, I expected the acting to be amazing based on the acclaim it has received. While I liked it a lot, it didn’t really do much for me. I think the music was the best part. I could have listened to Gaga in this setting all day. But in terms of her acting, it was passable at best. There was a definite warmth and sincerity between Bradley and Gaga that was very evident. But maybe the script just let her down rather than anything else. I’d give it a 7/10.
Eamon
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 pm

nympho wrote:I know not everybody would like it, and that you really hate her, but that review... :lol:
It has to be one of the most biased reviews I’ve ever read. The critics and public acclaim for both the film and her acting is there.

I even would say in your attempt to not like Gaga in the film you didn’t understand the film at all.

And, obviously, in the event she’s nominated for an Oscar, it will be for lead female.
:roll:

It’s nothing to do with Gaga. I’m a big fan of cinema and TV, and have spent a large portion of my live working in TV and film production. Gaga is not her character, and I clearly stated that my issue was with how the character was written and directed.

I don’t actually think Gaga did anything within the film that forced her to really excercise and demonstrate her acting ability, but that isn’t her fault. She certainly did what was required - which is why I said she was adequate.

But proving she has some acting talent doesn’t mean she was shockingly brilliant or anything like that - which is why I’m surprised at how she was directed: I thought Bradley would have demanded more of her. There’s never a moment where she really gets to show us how talented an actress she is and equally there’s never a moment where it ever appears she’s out of her depth - but that doesn’t necessarily mean her performance is Oscar worthy.

As for not understanding the movie... I am a huge fan of all versions. This isn’t the first one, and I suspect I understand this version a lot more than you :lol:

In terms of Oscars... the lead imo is very clearly Bradley Cooper. I think Gaga would have an easier time if they submit her for supporting actress, especially as this year is supposedly Glenn Close’s year (Oscars are very political - you have to campaign for the win).
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Eamon wrote:I saw this last night and while I knew the story to an extent, I expected the acting to be amazing based on the acclaim it has received. While I liked it a lot, it didn’t really do much for me. I think the music was the best part. I could have listened to Gaga in this setting all day. But in terms of her acting, it was passable at best. There was a definite warmth and sincerity between Bradley and Gaga that was very evident. But maybe the script just let her down rather than anything else. I’d give it a 7/10.
I was pleasantly surprised with the music. It did start to all feel quite similar, but I found that going down the country route will help give this version more of a timeless quality: country music doesn’t age as fast.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Also, just to carry on the observations of the role of women (well, woman), it’s yet another example of a male lead (43) having a much younger actress cast opposite him (32). I also don’t think the nudity (topless and full frontal flash) from Gaga was needed or artistically justifiable either - what did it add?
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby nympho » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:46 pm

menime123 wrote:
nympho wrote:I know not everybody would like it, and that you really hate her, but that review... :lol:

:roll:

It’s nothing to do with Gaga. I’m a big fan of cinema and TV, and have spent a large portion of my live working in TV and film production. Gaga is not her character, and I clearly stated that my issue was with how the character was written and directed.

I don’t actually think Gaga did anything within the film that forced her to really excercise and demonstrate her acting ability, but that isn’t her fault. She certainly did what was required - which is why I said she was adequate.

But proving she has some acting talent doesn’t mean she was shockingly brilliant or anything like that - which is why I’m surprised at how she was directed: I thought Bradley would have demanded more of her. There’s never a moment where she really gets to show us how talented an actress she is and equally there’s never a moment where it ever appears she’s out of her depth - but that doesn’t necessarily mean her performance is Oscar worthy.

As for not understanding the movie... I am a huge fan of all versions. This isn’t the first one, and I suspect I understand this version a lot more than you :lol:

In terms of Oscars... the lead imo is very clearly Bradley Cooper. I think Gaga would have an easier time if they submit her for supporting actress, especially as this year is supposedly Glenn Close’s year (Oscars are very political - you have to campaign for the win).
For someone who knows so much about film and TV, you should know (and I’m pretty sure you know) there are male and female categories at the awards...
This movie has a pretty clear lead male character and a lead female character. In fact, the story is about HER. If there was to be a lead character in this film, it will be her, not him. You like it or not.

Of course she won’t win... No need to make her a supporting actress in a movie where she’s the lead character.

And no, reading that review your problem was not only with the character but with her acting. Reading your “review”, it was almost as if it was her fault the character is that way (you think it is) instead of the writers and director...

And I still think your hostility to Gaga won’t ever let you enjoy objectively anything she does.
(In case you’re going to say I’m not objective either, the acclaim for her role and acting has been unanimous, not only from her fans).

Anyway, it’s nice to read different opinions and see how people understood the film... even when you might or might not agree.
nympho
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:57 am

I have no idea where my reputation for hostility towards Gaga comes from. But anyway. I don’t need to justify my opinion - anyone with a drop of sense can see I pull the character’s development apart. I certainly don’t remember calling her a bad actress and anyone who has read what I wrote can clearly see I question Bradley’s choices in his direction of her character.

No idea why you’re schooling me on movie awards, but I feel compelled to inform you that in recent years some award ceremonies have scrapped gendered awards and made awards entirely gender neutral.

In terms of critics, you know critics mauled Titanic and it ended up becoming the highest grossing movie of all time? Same as how critics all but condemn 50 Shades of Grey but the books have sold hundreds of millions and the movies made over $1Billion? My point? Art is subjective and all a critic does is share an opinion and add a few stars. It’s not a science.

If the story is Ally’s tell me what she did for herself? What is her story arc? What is her development? What is her inciting incident? What does she do that makes her the leading character? It’s not her movie - we watch him discover her, not watch her be discovered by him. It’s a subtle, but huge difference - we see everything through Jackson’s eyes and the entire movie focuses on how he interacts with his environment and his relationships with the people around him.

Take the Grammy scene, for example: it was all about him, not her. We are lead to feel sorry for Jackson for finally hitting rock bottom, whereas if Ally was the lead, we would be angry for her being totally embarrassed on national TV by her husband.

But the scene is told from his perspective so we’re told to have great sympathy for him instead of anger... we aren’t on stage with Ally trying to keep an eye on her husband and praying he stays off stage. Instead we’re down there with him, moving onto the stage only with him.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby JimJim » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:35 am

menime123 wrote:Also, just to carry on the observations of the role of women (well, woman), it’s yet another example of a male lead (43) having a much younger actress cast opposite him (32). I also don’t think the nudity (topless and full frontal flash) from Gaga was needed or artistically justifiable either - what did it add?
You should listen to The Bechdel Cast (podcast) episode where they review this movie. They talk about the points you've raised quite in-depth.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby thebigham » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:32 am

LOL at nympho. Can't handle someone not liking GaGa's performance. He seems to take it so personally. Who cares that menime123 didn't like her performance?? Someone I know hated GaGa's acting. Do you want his contact info so you can tell him how wrong he is???? LOL.
thebigham
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 am

The A Star Is Born-Survivor just started. Please join if you enjoy the soundtrack :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Well according Nypmho if you are a Madonna fan, you automatically hate Gaga :lol:

I'll wait for the release of Blu-Ray to watch this. Do they sing all the songs in the movie?
spiritboy
Legend

Postby nympho » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:33 am

^
Not automatically, but in many cases.
In this case, he is a hater and thus, I think that review (which I stated was interesting) was really biased. That’s all.
Funny, thebigham, you, of all people, talking about taking things personally... :lol:

Anyway, back to topic.

TIME’s Top 10 movies of 2018

#7 - A STAR IS BORN

Who knew that the last thing we thought we needed—a remake of a film that’s already been remade plenty of times—was exactly the thing we wanted? Director Bradley Cooper set out to reimagine this potentially threadbare story for the modern age, casting himself as close-to-washed-up country singer Jackson and putting Lady Gaga in the role of Ally, an unassuming but unassailably gifted singer-songwriter who becomes a superstar. The result is a cathartic melodrama that feels both fresh and comfortingly classic. “Maybe it’s time to let the old ways die,” Cooper sings in one of the songs from the movie’s soundtrack. But he also knows what’s worth preserving.

http://time.com/5454739/best-movies-2018/

TIME’s Top 10 movie performances of 2018

#9 - LADY GAGA - A Star Is Born

Remember when Lady Gaga was cast as the lead in the oft-remade A Star Is Born, and the big question was: Can she carry a movie? Almost nobody is wondering now. Gaga’s performance is a delight, revealing shadows and contours that perhaps not even her biggest fans had noticed before—like a Cubist painting that offers some new angle every time you look.

http://time.com/5454745/best-movie-performances-2018/

No Bradley in top 10.
Last edited by nympho on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
nympho
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 am

I can't and won't deny that i will be biased when watching the movie. I dislike Gaga but i love her work and the soundtrack is amazing. But Bradley Cooper and his songs might make this insufferable.
spiritboy
Legend

Return to Movies