Bird Box (Netflix movie)

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Rolling » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 am

This looks really good.

When a mysterious force decimates the world’s population, only one thing is certain: if you see it, you take your life. Facing the unknown, Malorie finds love, hope and a new beginning only for it to unravel. Now she must flee with her two children down a treacherous river to the one place left that may offer sanctuary. But to survive, they'll have to undertake the perilous two-day journey blindfolded. Academy Award® winner Sandra Bullock leads an all-star cast that includes Trevante Rhodes, with Sarah Paulson, and John Malkovich in #BirdBox, a compelling new thriller from Academy Award® winner Susanne Bier.
Rolling
Superstar

Postby MonkeyLover21 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:14 pm

I enjoyed this. It is not scary as people are saying.
The memes got annoying fast.
The winds might blow through me
But I don't care
MonkeyLover21
Manager

Postby JimJim » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:56 am

I enjoyed it, despite its flaws. The Netflix marketing team deserve an award for getting everyone talking about this movie.

It's a pretty typical horror movie, but with A-list actors. The movie was a bit long and 20min could easily be cut out. It's well shot and they were able to create a tense atmosphere which a lot of modern horror movies lack for me.

The ending from the original novel would have made for a more shocking and interesting end I think.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Thriller » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:44 pm

It was decent, definitely worth a watch, the first 15 minutes especially is a strong opener. Agree that it could’ve easily been 90 minutes... you get a bit sick of Mallory and the kids falling over things and going on about the blindfolds. Was really willing them to have a happy ending, so that was nice if a little predictable.
Thriller

Postby jochen » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:21 am

Crap
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
jochen
Manager

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:14 pm

jochen wrote:Crap
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby beredy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:32 pm

I thought it was really bad. Really really bad. BUT! I'm so glad I watched it because the memes I've seen are hilarious. :lol: Especially RPDR and Survivor ones.
beredy
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:14 pm

The memes are better than the movie! :lol:
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Guru » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:58 am

JSparksFan wrote:The memes are better than the movie! :lol:
My fave thus far :lol:

| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Damiennatas1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:25 am

I loved this! I didn’t think it was a horror though
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:37 am

It was ok and I enjoyed it but I don’t get the hype because it was like a million other films.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby BehindBreakaway » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:01 am

I enjoyed it. I wish they had kept the book ending
Spoiler:
In the book she gets to the safe place only to realise that people have blinded themselves so they couldn't see the force. In my opinion it's a better ending. Darker
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Loose » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:21 am

Bad movie except the supermarket side plot.
Very little was revealed in the end.

Sarah Paulson was my highlight.

That’s about it. I was periodically bored really.
It's handled. | My last.fm
Loose
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:48 am

Loose wrote:Bad movie except the supermarket side plot.

Intrigued to understand why Sarah Paulson was your highlight. Was it just because it was just Sarah Paulson or for another reason?
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby beredy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:56 am

I loved the fact that Sarah Paulson dies within the first 10 minutes of the movie. Wish that happened in every AHS season.
beredy
Manager

Postby biscuits » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:56 am

beredy wrote:I loved the fact that Sarah Paulson dies within the first 10 minutes of the movie. Wish that happened in every AHS season.
Just started watching this and came here to share my glee at seeing Sarah Paulson. Then I read your post
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Spartan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:19 am

beredy wrote:I loved the fact that Sarah Paulson dies within the first 10 minutes of the movie. Wish that happened in every AHS season.
Awww damn. Haven’t seen it yet but that’s a shame, I was hoping sarah would come in and take over as the lead like she does in every season of AHS.
Spartan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:38 am

I gave up on it.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby menime123 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:46 am

I’ve spent today reading the book in one sitting and watching the movie straight after :lol:

It’s a good adaptation of source material that lacks in cinematic drama, though the book itself is a lot darker. Fantastic opening and interesting that they don’t state the problem originated in Russia like the book does. Such a strong cast - though I feel like the parts just weren’t juicy enough to justify having a name in certain roles. It’s funny to read some of you saying a good 20 minutes could have been cut, because they actually make up 20 minutes at the end in the movie :lol:

Differences...

Spoiler:
In the book, as the women give birth, Gary lets the monsters into the house and he then escapes. Everyone (includingTom) is killed and Malorie gets a call inviting her to the community minutes after giving birth and her entire group being killed. She decides to raise the kids first - not as a mother - but as a trainer, ensuring they are equipped for the eventual journey. She trains them for 4 years and employs some questionable tactics, like hitting the babies if they woke up with their eyes open and refusing to feed them until their eyes were closed. Basically she trains the kids to listen, not see, and forces them to do that for her all along the river.

In the book it’s strongly implied that if you were mad, you weren’t driven to suicide. Gary is mad and actually camps outside the house for weeks watching the group from his tent. The monsters effected animals too, driving a dog to self mutilation and making the birds along the river at the very end kill each other too.

The river stuff... time scales aren’t given in the book as she sails down the river. Malorie is also attacked by a wolf when the accidentally row into the side of the river and passes out for a bit, leaving the kids to do the rowing. She’s confronted by a monster at the end that tries to remove her blindfold, but she refuses to open her eyes. In the books, the monsters don’t whisper or impersonate lost ones.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby beredy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:22 am

menime123 wrote:Fantastic opening and interesting that they don’t state the problem originated in Russia like the book does.
Thry actually do, right in the beginning on the TV. And even Mallory says something like: "It's in Russia, not here." I found that to be a rather weird distinctive fact they threw in there. It kind of felt like there was some importance there and they will get around to that, that's why I remember.

About the book:
Spoiler:
It's insteresting what you say about how the mechanics of the "things" are different in the book. It felt so annoying they can't go into the house and no explanation was given for that. Yet they can riffle leaves, move branches etc. Also Mallory is a whacko in the book. I definitely like that better. Makes much more sense in the general view of the story than her being a lovey dovey couple for 4-5 years with Tom and them raising kids. But that's Hollywood for you.
beredy
Manager

Postby menime123 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 pm

beredy wrote:
menime123 wrote:Fantastic opening and interesting that they don’t state the problem originated in Russia like the book does.
Thry actually do, right in the beginning on the TV. And even Mallory says something like: "It's in Russia, not here." I found that to be a rather weird distinctive fact they threw in there. It kind of felt like there was some importance there and they will get around to that, that's why I remember.

About the book:
Spoiler:
It's insteresting what you say about how the mechanics of the "things" are different in the book. It felt so annoying they can't go into the house and no explanation was given for that. Yet they can riffle leaves, move branches etc. Also Mallory is a whacko in the book. I definitely like that better. Makes much more sense in the general view of the story than her being a lovey dovey couple for 4-5 years with Tom and them raising kids. But that's Hollywood for you.
Oh I missed that then. I just saw the TV didn’t have Russia on it when it was describing it etc.

Spoiler:
Malorie being a nut job makes a lot more sense in the books... in the movie they don’t really - I feel - give enough to explain her abuse of the kids. The whole creatures moving trees and stuff isn’t in the books so that annoyed me. But the movie was supposed to show a creature but it got cut because of wasn’t good :lol:

I also felt like they had their blindfolds off a hell of a lot more, and the kids seemed to be living quite a ‘comfortable’ life. In the book they sleep under chicken wire etc and have zero childhood.

The darkest part of the book for me - and this was cut - was when Malorie picks up a baby intending to blind her. The timeline in the books jumps around a lot more so I get when it was cut, but boy was it dark.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Loose » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:45 am

Damiennatas1 wrote:
Loose wrote:Bad movie except the supermarket side plot.

Intrigued to understand why Sarah Paulson was your highlight. Was it just because it was just Sarah Paulson or for another reason?
I personally think that Sandra Bullock’s acting is not on par with Paulson’s. That made her the highlight of the movie for me.

They should have switched roles imo.
It's handled. | My last.fm
Loose
Legend

Postby ectole » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:57 pm

It was alright but I think this is one of those movies where the book must have been ten times better than the film.
ectole
Groupie

Postby spiritboy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 pm

This was good. This may sound cruel but i wanted the Girl dead. :lol:
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Return to Movies