Power Rangers [2017 Reboot]

Postby Hugo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Power Rangers actor pleads guilty to killing roommate with samurai sword

Ricardo Medina pleads guilty of manslaughter in death of Josh Sutter

A former Power Ranger will serve jail time for the death of his roommate. 38-year-old Ricardo Medina has pled guilty to manslaughter after stabbing 36-year-old Josh Sutter with a samurai sword, as Variety reports.

CoS

:o
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby biscuits » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Tommy and Kimberly make a cameo
biscuits
The Diva

Postby RLAAMJR » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:01 am

I really love the trailer.
Celine Marie Claudette Tanguay Dion-Angelil, #BestSellingArtistofthe90s #TheGreatestCanadian #SaviorofLasVegas #QueenofThemeSongs
RLAAMJR
Manager

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:30 am

Guys why is no one talking about this ?!?!
Just got back from seeing it and I LOVED it!!!
It's well written, acted and directed and they've done a fantastic job modernising the material and making it a little more adult.
Loved the Michael Bay dig and the surprise cameos towards the end and pretty much everything about it.
The one fault I could pick was Goldar as I mentioned in a previous post but it's definitely something I can live with.
If you're a Rangers fan do yourself a favor and stick around for the mid-credits scene....... :o

The good news with it opening stronger than expected at $40.5 million odds are good for a sequel and I honestly can't think of a recent movie that deserves to become a franchise more than this version of the Rangers.
If you were a fan or even if you aren't you should GO OUT AND SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
AussiePopStar8
Manager

Postby Ewokguy15 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:34 am

I'm seeing it on Saturday!, really looking forward to it.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby Damiennatas1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:51 am

I loved this! :D
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Ska8er » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Saw this on Friday and it was SO GOOD!

Honestly so much better than I expected. Brought back so many memories.

There were a few things I didn't like (Zack was a bit annoying, Zordon was a bit of a douche, morphing took forever) but the additions to the mythos and the overall atmosphere more than made up for it. I am so glad they managed to balance the cheesiness of the show with a more grounded approach.

The final Zord fight was also really cool, but I wasn't satisfied with how the Megazord was formed and its subsequent fight. I expected something a bit more epic. They apparently also run out of budget towards the end judging by the CGI of those flames and the cameo scene :lol:

Fun Facts:
-The kissing scene between Jason/Kimberly was taken out because they wanted the scene to be focused on Kimberly's story rather than them following a conventional love story treatment.
- The cameos were originally featured in a different scene but it was cut. They initially had the actors inside the Krispy Kreme with Rita whilst she was eating her donut (hopefully we'll see it as a deleted scene)
- They have 5 sequels planned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby crazycool » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:02 pm

This was really great! Even more exciting knowing that they've got all these sequels planned. It's the perfect set up for a new franchise. I love that the bulk of the film was focused on the kids learning their new powers, how to work in a team and become friends. It's great to see a coming of age story in an action movie like this
crazycool
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:52 am

I'm gonna watch this tonight. Very excited! :D
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Ska8er » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:44 am

Box Office: Why A 'Power Rangers' Sequel Would Be A Risky Bet

Barring a super-duper breakout performance in South Korea (April 20), China (May 12) and Japan (July 15), Power Rangers is not going to be a mega-hit that was hoped for after its big $40.3 million domestic opening weekend. That makes the notion of a sequel the very definition of a risky bet. While there is always a chance that a Power Rangers 2 could break out thanks to those who liked the first film and discovered it after theaters, it doesn't seem terribly likely. As such, barring a massive overseas gross, Power Rangers may be a one-and-done deal.

The film, which stars Dacre Montgomery, Naomi Scott, RJ Cyler, Ludi Lin, Becky G., Elizabeth Banks, Bryan Cranston and Bill Hader, fell 64% in weekend two and 56% in weekend three for a $75m 17-day total. The film will likely make around $90m in North America, for an over/under 2.25x multiplier. That's not good, as even the likes of X-Men (which was frontloaded in its day) earned $157m from a $54m debut weekend, or a 2.9x multiplier. And it hasn't gone nuts overseas either, with just $117m worldwide thus far with much of the world played out.

With a $110 million budget, Saban and Lionsgate will either find themselves rolling in Chinese grosses or having to make the hard choice of whether or not to make a sequel. The Dean Israelite-directed teen melodrama/sci-fi actioner is not a super flop but it's also not a mega-hit. So the decision as to whether or not to go forward with a second installment is entirely about whether there is reason to believe that a sequel can build upon the fans of both the franchise and this specific incarnation.

And as much as I like to talk about break-out sequels, the odds seem against that happening here. I liked the film more than I expected and wouldn't mind a continuation, but there are a few reasons to look upon the notion with trepidation.

First, again, the film was not (as of today) a blow-out hit. I can't speak to merchandising sales and other related factors, but the picture mostly played to those who were already excited for a big-budget Power Rangers movie and failed to expand beyond fans. Sure, a lot of folks were surprised at how good it was, and it was ironic to see the picture become the first big-scale superhero movie to include LGBT and autistic superheroes before Marvel and DC. But this wasn't a critically acclaimed wonder, earning an average Rotten Tomatoes score of 5.1/10 (47% fresh).

Let us remember that the vast majority of the so-called break-out sequels (Pitch Perfect 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me) were from critically acclaimed or well-reviewed originals. Me arguing for a Power Rangers sequel because I liked it carries about as much weight as you arguing for a John Carter 2 because you totally think it was an underappreciated gem. Even Transformers got good reviews the first time out.

Moreover, the vast majority of said films were incontestable hits the first time out. It's not like Shrek was some underappreciated cult hit that exploded the second time out. It legged it like a champ (a 6x multiplier) in 2001 and then broke super-duper big in 2004. And while The Twilight Saga scored with New Moon, Twilight still made $391 million worldwide on a $35m budget.

Oddly enough, the one big exception is none other than Batman Begins. Yes, the mother of all break-out sequels, which spawned a film that nearly tripled the worldwide gross of its predecessor, was not a blowout win. If you recall, Chris Nolan's somber and character-focused Batman origin story earned "just" $205 million domestic and "just" $374 million on a $150m budget.

That's not a disaster, but it's also not a blowout number in a year where Fox's Fantastic Four made $330 million global on a $100m budget and Warner's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory made $475m worldwide on a $150m budget. Even with white-hot buzz, The Dark Knight was not a foregone conclusion. Heck, in 2017, a result like that probably would have killed the franchise or resulted in Superman and Green Lantern being added to the sequel.

Yet, with the caveat that the post-theatrical market (DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc.) was a lot stronger in 2005 than it is in 2017, Batman Begins overcame a smaller-than-expected debut ($48 million Fri-Sun/$72m Wed-Sun) to leg it for the rest of the summer on the strength of strong buzz, solid word-of-mouth, and pre-release critical raves. Power Rangers got mixed-negative reviews and even with strong audience polling it still sank like a stone.

And even if the film was better received, there is no guarantee that a sequel would get a substantial upswing, as we saw with Star Trek into Darkness in 2013. Now obviously if the film pulls off Kong: Skull Island numbers in China then this is a different (and arguably even more complicated) conversation. But otherwise, Power Rangers is a film that doesn't seem terribly inclined to get a sequel. And barring my personal interest in another go-around, I'd advise against it.

A second chapter may capitalize on fan approval and post-theatrical interest, but it will also have to be quite a bit more expensive since it won't have the luxury of holding back its spectacle until the last 1//4 of the movie. It will have to make more, a lot more, here and abroad to justify its additional expense. Lionsgate has ironically done so well of late with the likes of La La Land, John Wick: Chapter 2 and Boo! A Madea Halloween that they really don't need to roll the dice on Power Rangers even though their limited exposure (around 25% of the cost including marketing) means the may make out nicely.

The film earned mixed-negative reviews and opened well by playing to the fans but failed to branch out beyond the pre-sold demographics. Even with the good buzz over its inclusive casting and character-driven approach, it still acted like a quick-kill blockbuster, with the obvious caveat that it's not exactly a blockbuster. It didn't go nuts overseas either. Aside from the fact that some folks liked it better than expected and we haven't seen its post-theatrical life yet, it meets none of the criteria for a possible breakout franchise.

My 13-year old self, who hated the old show, couldn't image enjoying a live-action Power Rangers movie to the point of wanting a sequel, but life works out in funny ways.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 am

Yeah, it seems to have faded very quickly despite soooo much hype and promo. I thought it was pretty weak tbh
biscuits
The Diva

Postby JimJim » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:59 am

Well it has hit slight profit territory, looking to probably finish it's run around 150-170m off a 100m budget.

For me the movie was pretty blah, unremarkable in pretty much every way. Whilst the autustic character was nicely implemented and well played, I don't know why this has even warranted a mention in the media of having a LGBT character, because it was only fleetingly mentioned in a single scene.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby biscuits » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 pm

There was too much build-up to them morphing, and when they finally did, it was so whack. The zords looked atrocious and it was all over and done with straight away.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Ewokguy15 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 pm

the gross from China will be the defining factor here, if it's huge there there will be a sequel, like Pacific Rim.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:58 am

If there are 8 "Fast and the Furious" movies then this deserves a sequel.
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
AussiePopStar8
Manager

Postby joiPrince_JO » Thu May 04, 2017 4:14 pm

This has only grossed $134.9 million :o
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu May 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Ewokguy15 wrote:the gross from China will be the defining factor here, if it's huge there there will be a sequel, like Pacific Rim.
Has it been released there yet?
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Noahh » Thu May 04, 2017 5:05 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:This has only grossed $134.9 million :o
It still made a profit as Lionsgate sold the international rights to the distributors worldwide.
Granted, the box office result sucks and the chances of the planned 5 sequels (if any sequel) are very slim.

Lionsgate fvcked up in two departments: marketing and setting the release date.

Marketing for this film was a nightmare. Power Rangers was screwed even before its release. Tie that in with a horribly chosen release date (Beauty & The Beast, Kong, Fast Of The Furious 8)...

If they decide to push forward with at least one sequel, they better get their marketing on point. Because I still believe this franchise has potential.

Aside from its critics reviews, the Power Rangers film was actually received really well by the general public. It's just that a lot of people didn't know about this film or thought this would a film specifically for kids (like the TV show). Again, bad marketing.

biscuits wrote:
Ewokguy15 wrote:the gross from China will be the defining factor here, if it's huge there there will be a sequel, like Pacific Rim.
Has it been released there yet?
China: May 12
Japan: July 15
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu May 04, 2017 11:55 pm

The marketing was fine in the UK. It became inescapable actually.

It should do well in Japan considering they are the originators of Power Rangers
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Damiennatas1 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:43 pm

biscuits wrote:The marketing was fine in the UK. It became inescapable actually.
The same here in Ireland tbh
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Storyteller » Fri May 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Damiennatas1 wrote:
biscuits wrote:The marketing was fine in the UK. It became inescapable actually.
The same here in Ireland tbh
Really? It wasn't even shown in my local cinema :cry:
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby menime123 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:43 am

The problem is it took too long to get to them morphing and it wasn't as epic as it should have been. Rita was a boring adversary and it needed more story after they had morphed.

I was fine with the origin bits, but if you fail to deliver once they become actual power rangers, of course you're going to struggle.

In fairness it didn't have a patch on the original film from the 90s. Ivan Ooze was a legend :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Sun May 07, 2017 10:00 am

menime123 wrote:The problem is it took too long to get to them morphing and it wasn't as epic as it should have been. Rita was a boring adversary and it needed more story after they had morphed.

I was fine with the origin bits, but if you fail to deliver once they become actual power rangers, of course you're going to struggle.

In fairness it didn't have a patch on the original film from the 90s. Ivan Ooze was a legend :lol:
All true, but unless people read spoilers and detailed reviews, they wouldn't know all that unless they saw it. In other words, people would have still had to see it to know how slow it was, which doesn't explain the low box office.

Now that I think about it, Rita was such a wasted character - she barely had any dialogue throughout the film. For me though, it was the zords, putties and fight sequences which were the worst thing.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Muzikritik » Sun May 07, 2017 11:01 am

I guess its the biggest struggle of the first part of a franchise. How much time do you spend on the origin?

I agree by the way, the origin stuff was great but there wasn't enough actual Power Ranger action. That said, I would say the same thing about Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2002. And they did OK. A Part II of PR would no doubt have much more action. Whether or not they'll do it....
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun May 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Bombed in China. $1.2M in the opening weekend and projected to make $10M overall, which would bring it's WW gross to around $150M
biscuits
The Diva

Return to Movies