Ready Player One (2018)

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Hugo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Steven Spielberg has been tapped to direct the movie adaptation of popular sci-fi novel and ode to '80s pop culture "Ready Player One," Deadline reports.

Ernest Cline's novel, which takes place in a dystopian 2044, is about a teen who discovers the first clue to finding an Easter egg hidden in the massive virtual online utopia called The OASIS. That first clue, tied to the OASIS creator's obsession with the 1970s and '80s, leads him on a quest that could change (and possibly prematurely end) his life.

The latest script, according to Deadline, is written by Zak Penn ("The Avengers," "The Incredible Hulk"), who worked with Cline on the recent Xbox Originals documentary "Atari: Game Over," which can currently be watched for free on Xbox Video.

Spielberg is expected to tackle "Ready Player One" for Warner Brothers after the adaptation of Roald Dahl's "The BFG," which is currently scheduled for a release next summer in the US. No casting or release dates for "Ready Player One" have been formalized as yet.

Cnet
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Merci » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:52 am

Steven Spielberg? weird choice.. but I'm excited for this nevertheless
I'm the terminator, bitch talk slick, I'm a have to terminate her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Merci
Boss Matsumoto

Postby Spartan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:33 pm

I remember enjoying this book when we read it in the UKMIX book club.
I think it could translate well as a film, though I'm uncertain as to how much of the 80s references the current generation of youths will appreciate.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Wardo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:25 am

Spartan wrote:I remember enjoying this book when we read it in the UKMIX book club.
Yup, Merci's impact. Steve must have been checking UKMIX in early 2014. :-?

I can see the story working on the big screen, especially with great special effects.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby WEDway82 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Teaser has been released. :D
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby Blondini » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:23 pm

The Iron Giant. 8-) (greatest animated film ever)
There's a reason he's in the thumbnails on all the vids, Spielberg says he's a major character.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby WEDway82 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:42 pm

^That and he's a substitute for Ultraman. ;)

I wonder what else they've had to tweak due to rights?
"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby Hugo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:27 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:31 pm

This is a film, can a mod please move this?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Hugo wrote:This is a film, can a mod please move this?
Done!

Very CGI heavy but I’m looking forward to this.
Spartan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:09 am

It's going to be a big mess
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby WEDway82 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Looks like they made a few changes, but it's looking good. So far it looks like a good adaptation - then again, I've been let down before... I'm looking at you The Last Airbender.
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby WEDway82 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Full trailer..
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby spiritboy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:23 pm

I've started reading the book and hope i'll finish it by the time it'll be on theatres
spiritboy
Legend

Postby thebigham » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:20 pm

Looks to be a hit in the USA

http://deadline.com/2018/03/ready-playe ... 202318581/

Audiences gave Ready Player One an A- CinemaScore last night and shelled out an estimated $12.1M which includes Wednesday night’s $3.75M previews (WB releasing their figures soon). This puts the feature take on Ernest Cline’s novel in a range to make $49.4M-$52M+ over the four-day Easter stretch; many in the industry are hopeful that it will clear the latter mark. Today will be a true test of interest since there’s 80% K-12 schools off with another 43% colleges.

RottenTomatoes: 78%
thebigham
Legend

Postby WEDway82 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Really enjoyed it, despite the differences to the book. Easter Egg-a-polooza that's certainly worth seeing a second time to spot everything.
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby BehindBreakaway » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Can not wait to see this
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:41 pm

I really liked the movie, but I do feel like the movie owed so much of its appeal to "member berries". If you were a child of the 80s this movie is literally nostalgia overload. From the music (Van Halen, Prince, New Order, references to Michael Jackson, The Police, Duran Duran, Billy Idol, etc...) to all the inside references to The Shining (literally ten mins is devoted to this movie), Back To The Future, Friday The 13th, Buckaroo Banzai, Mad Max, etc etc etc.... It works best if you have nostalgia for those things but I don't know if it will have the same resonance for people under-25 whose childhood nostalgia comes from a different era than this.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby WEDway82 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:07 pm

^I can see wherre you're coming from. There are the odd modern day references - the current iteration of the Ninja Turtles, Joker & Harley Quinn, or Tracer from Overwatch but for the most part it is a nostalgia-fest. (Funny thing is, the folks of 2045 have no connection to these modern characters either.. they are from a bygone era too.)

I just don't know if that takes you away from the movie. Even if they didn't get the 80's characters/IP rights and had to go generic on everything, I think it'd still be the same. (Although can you imagine the furore that would be kicked up if it had none of the book references?).
WEDway82
Roadie

Postby spiritboy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm hugely disappointed by the difference between the movie and the book. I prolly would've enjoyed it more if i hadn't read the book.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:13 am

This was SO good! I loved it! The acting was a bit awkward at times (mainly the 11 year old) and the references were weird considering they were so far into the future.

Also, it felt like the whole 80's soundtracks was trying to be a Guardians of the Galaxy try hard.
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Damiennatas1 wrote:This was SO good! I loved it! The acting was a bit awkward at times (mainly the 11 year old) and the references were weird considering they were so far into the future.

Also, it felt like the whole 80's soundtracks was trying to be a Guardians of the Galaxy try hard.
Guardians was 70s though. Given the movie is a love letter to 80s pop culture, the music makes sense. Though in hindsight it is funny because these songs will be 60-65 years old at the time the movie is set, which would be like people obsessing over Bing Crosby and Ella Fitzgerald in present times. Hell, most have decided The Beatles are simply too old now and they are downright modern in comparison lol.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby WEDway82 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:51 pm

^The '80s became popular in '45 thanks to James Halliday. He grew up in that time period, and after his passing and the announcement of the competiton, evertyhing from the decade became hugely popular as the world searched for clues.
WEDway82
Roadie

Return to Movies