Dunkirk

Postby Hugo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:32 am

UPDATE, 11:17 AM: Following up on earlier reports including one from Deadline this morning, Warner Bros has confirmed that Christopher Nolan’s next film is indeed the WWII Dunkirk evacuation project. It’s called Dunkirk, and Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hardy will be part of an ensemble made up largely of unknowns. Pic will be shot on IMAX 65mm and 65mm large-format film. Everything else is as our International Editor Nancy Tartaglione reported it earlier this morning.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/christopher ... 201673519/
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby grooveboy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 am

This looks like it's gonna be an epic war film! Dunkirk is one of the most fascinating episodes of WWII and hopefully Nolan won't screw it up :lol: 8-)
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Where's the excitement?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Graham76man » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 pm

From that trailer it does seem to suggest that they are correcting the myth the RAF were not around to stop the German planes.

A recent documentary on Channel Four has shown that the RAF and in-particular the Spitfire actually made certain that the evacuation was possible. By stopping most of the German planes getting through. It's just that the troops on the ground could not see the planes fighting at the high altitudes or were inland breaking up the bomber formations before they reached the beaches and the ships rescuing them.

If the film does show this and sticks largely to historical facts in the 2 or so hours, then it will be a good film and for that reason will deliver all the excitement you need.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Rihab » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:09 am

With Nolan and Zimmer involved, what could go wrong? I want to see this.
Rihab
Legend

Postby Noahh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:26 am

First reactions are overwhelmingly positive.

Can't wait to see this film in IMAX. :D
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby Hugo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:15 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby JimJim » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:15 am

Harry certainly picked a good movie to debut in.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Hugo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:29 pm

JimJim wrote:Harry certainly picked a good movie to debut in.
lol I had to search to understand this comment, I had no idea.

I wonder how many of his fans knew about 'Dunkirk' before his casting? :lol:
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby grooveboy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Has anyone seen this yet? Any thoughts?

I'm going to the movies this sunday and literally can't wait to watch it! #superexcited
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 am

‘Dunkirk’ Flying To $51M; ‘Girls Trip’ Driving To $28M+; ‘Valerian’ Still A Disaster With $16M+

Dunkirk is excelling with a $19.7 million opening day, bound for a $51M opening weekend at 3,720 venues.

That’s a very good start for this movie I’m told, one that will enable this British World War II title to leg out to a 3x multiple. Director Christopher Nolan’s previous movie Interstellar posted a three-day of $47.5M and churned a near 4x multiple at the domestic B.O., ending with $188M. His films just have great holds.

Heading into the weekend, many predicted Dunkirk wouldn’t take flight given its standard appeal among older Caucasian men. However, great reviews, an A- CinemaScore tonight, plus Nolan’s fanbase are lifting this pic past its $35M-$40M projection. Yes, men over 25 make up close to 50% of the main draw here per ComScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak, but Dunkirk is also playing incredibly well to older females and younger guys.

“Dunkirk will somehow make money,” one packager praised about its prospects. “Don’t ask me how, but I am done betting against Chris Nolan.” As pointed out previously, Interstellar with a cost $165M before P&A turned a $47M-plus profit.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-val ... 202132847/
It's a smash!
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby grooveboy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

I just got back from the theatres. The viusals were stunning but the story could have been better TBH. It's just not as epic as I thought it would be. More than 300k men were evcacuated from the beaches of Dunkirk and you get the feeling there were handful of them.
It was just an ok war film in the end.
grooveboy
Superstar

Postby Muzikritik » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 am

I'm torn. I'm not fussed on war epics but I've never seen a Christopher Nolan film that I didn't like a lot.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:26 am

Incredible film, so much better than the average cliche "hero" war film. The sound and visuals were brilliant, made it such an immersive experience. Keeping dialogue to a minimum was definitely a wise decision.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Thriller » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:56 am

I don't get it. Is Dunkirk not in Scotland? Yet this film is set in France? Either way I will need severe subtitles.
Thriller

Postby Benny » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:57 am

Thriller wrote:I don't get it. Is Dunkirk not in Scotland? Yet this film is set in France? Either way I will need severe subtitles.
The famous 'Dunkirk' is a town in northern France.

However, there are several places in the UK which bear the same name.
Benny
Legend

Postby AndiIversen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:44 am

Soundtrack's very NIN at times
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby Michiel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 am

Saw it last saturday and I'm not too crazy about it, I guess I expected too much. The shots were nice and the lack of dialogue gave it a bit of another dimension, but that's about it for me. The music was too much for me personally. And in its core it's just the same one-sided heroism take on the two 'world' wars we've seen a million times before filled with a signficant amount of clichés, just more hidden/subtle I guess. A movie which scores such reviews should for me (!) be able to bring something new to the genre and I don't feel like this movie fits in that category. Nothing new to reflect about. A Blockbuster.
"Common sense is a chaotic aggregate of disparate conceptions, and one can find there anything that one like."
Last.FM
Instagram
Michiel
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:43 am

There are several ways that Christopher Nolan could have chosen to execute this film. As it is, there is a heavy emphasis on tension and suspense, which is done incredibly well, and cinematography; whilst the visuals are outstanding in their own right, I feel that the film is so concerned with its visual glossiness that that overshadowed what should have been the most focal element of the film: emotion. On the whole, very accomplished but overpraised.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby SeeForever » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:07 pm

I can see why some people felt a bit underwhelmed, as it didn't feel like 300-400,000 soldiers trying to evacuate, but in the end the film concentrated on the young soldier and what happened around him

I can't see what else Christopher Nolan could have done other than focus on the defence in Dunkirk itself holding off the German attack (we only got that at the beginning of the film and that was very well done even if it was short)
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:54 pm

I really liked it, I thought Nolan made some interesting choices stylistically and script-wise.

I will see he is a true master of suspense. It's quite gripping to watch.

I've read reviews saying it's one of the best examples of the war genre. I don't know that I agree though it's not one of my favourite genres either.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Watched it last night, really good film!

I also liked how the main guy is kinda new to acting, and how Harry styles did well for his part yet didn't overshadow the main guy :)
MusicRecords
Superstar

Return to Movies