Box Office: Will Wolf Warriors 2 Top Star Wars ($937m)?

Will Wolf Warriors 2 ($769m+) top The Force Awakens ($937m)?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 1

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:09 am

Hello,
Welcome to the 2016 Box Office thread! :D

Here we can here we can celebrate (and bemoan) the hits and flops of 2016, as well as the holdovers from 2015!

List of Records Set in 2016

Highest Grossing Film of All-time Domestically: The Force Awakens* $782m

Highest Grossing Film of All-time UK: The Force Awakens* $152m

Biggest New Years Day: The Force Awakens* $34.4m

Biggest Third Weekend: The Force Awakens* $90.2m

*Film was released in 2015
Last edited by Theodorerichert on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 117 times in total.
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:24 am

Some Records Crushed by Star Wars

Fastest to $100m: 1 day; previous record 2 days
Fastest to $300m: 5 days; previous record 8 days
Fastest to $500m: 10 days; previous record 17 days
Fastest to $600m: 12 days; previous record 36 days

Top 3 day gross: $248m; previous record $209m
Top first week; $391m; previous record $296m
Top 10 day gross: $540m; previous record $403m

Top second weekend: $149m; previous record $107m
Top second week: $261m; previous record $150m

All of these records were previously held by Jurassic World.

Source: Box Office Mojo
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:27 am

Good job, Theo. :D I'm sorry I can't sticky it and unstick the old thread yet. Hopefully I'll get the functions added soon.
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby toxicALIENS » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:28 am

Congrats on the new thread Theo <3
BS:TS:IA:NM
toxicALIENS
Superstar

Postby toxicALIENS » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:29 am

I voted for rogue one in the poll but that was wishful thinking considering Civil War/BvS/Fantastic Beasts are all coming out next year :lol:

Though I'm skeptical of how successful fantastic beasts is going to be tbh
toxicALIENS
Superstar

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:32 am

Airwrecka wrote:Good job, Theo. :D I'm sorry I can't sticky it and unstick the old thread yet. Hopefully I'll get the functions added to my account soon.
Thanks! :D

It is weird that you don't have sticky abilities since you're the only mod in this section. :-?
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:33 am

toxicALIENS wrote:Congrats on the new thread Theo <3
Thankyou!
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:34 am

Theodorerichert wrote:
Airwrecka wrote:Good job, Theo. :D I'm sorry I can't sticky it and unstick the old thread yet. Hopefully I'll get the functions added to my account soon.

It is weird that you don't have sticky abilities since you're the only mod in this section. :-?
Yeah, I know. I asked the other mods and I should be able to do it, but there must be some kind of permission issue as I can only do it in Wasteland. I've asked the admins to look at it, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon. :wink:
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:35 am

toxicALIENS wrote:I voted for rogue one in the poll but that was wishful thinking considering Civil War/BvS/Fantastic Beasts are all coming out next year :lol:

Though I'm skeptical of how successful fantastic beasts is going to be tbh
Any or all of those four could gross $400-600m, domestically, and $1.3-1.7b worldwide, IMO.
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:37 am

Airwrecka wrote:
Theodorerichert wrote:

Yeah, I know. I asked the other mods and I should be able to do it, but there must be some kind of permission issue as I can only do it in Wasteland. I've asked the admins to look at it, so hopefully it'll be fixed soon. :wink:
I hope so. :)
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:05 am

Forecast: January 2016 Looks to Get Off to a Sizzling Start

UPDATED: The first draft of this weekend's predictions forgot to take into account Thursday preview numbers for Star Wars. Predictions have been updated as a result.

2016 is looking to get off to a wonderful start. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is entering its third frame and is now joined by the wide release of Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight, playing in over 2,400 theaters. The largest first weekend of the new year came in 2010 when Avatar was playing for its third weekend and the top twelve grossed over $209 million. This weekend should top that number, delivering yet another box office record during Star Wars' impressive run.

The Force Awakens dropped 39.8% last weekend and has since crossed $625 million in record time. That 39.8% drop, however, takes into account the massive $57 million in Thursday night previews from opening weekend, take those Thursday numbers out of that opening weekend total and last weekend's drop was only 21.9%, suggesting a drop this weekend around 30% is very likely for another weekend north of $100 million. That's more than enough to top Avatar's current record for the largest third weekend of only $68.4 million, but more importantly will open up the extreme possibility the film will best Avatar's all-time domestic record of $760 million.

Second place is looking like a shoot out between last weekend's wonderful performance from the Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg comedy Daddy's Home and Tarantino's Hateful Eight. A rather pessimistic, 32% drop for Daddy's Home would signal a $26.3 million second weekend and Hateful Eight would need to top $10,650 per theater to best it.

Tarantino's 2012 release, Django Unchained, followed its Christmas Day opening with $30.1 million on its first full weekend, but reviews for Hateful haven't been as lofty as those for Django or Inglourious Basterds before it. Hateful did get off to a great start this past Christmas with a $46,107 per theater run in 100 theaters where the film was screened in a 70mm roadshow version that ran approximately 20 minutes longer than the version going wide this weekend. The question is to wonder how much the "special" nature of those screenings affected audience attendance. Does the wide release of the film in a more condensed version ,along with not-so-glowing reviews, somehow diminish audience interest?

The weekend filled with college football festivities may also take away from Hateful's weekend potential, though it may also signal hopes for a strong hold next weekend. A forecast just over $10,000 per theater for a $24.9 million weekend is appropriate, but that would seem to be the floor for this release as anything at, or above, $30 million wouldn't be a surprise.

Expect solid holds for both Joy and Sisters, the latter of which is playing extremely well, increasing 1.9% last weekend. Alternatively, both Concussion and Point Break don't seem to be having much of an impact.

In limited release, The Revenant remains in four theaters this weekend, but will expand into over 3,000 theaters next weekend where it could take a bite out of the Hateful Eight. Last weekend it opened with a massive $118,640 per theater average and it will be interesting to see how well it plays once it goes wide as that reported $135 million budget looms.

On the smaller side of things, Charlie Kaufman's stop motion animated feature Anomalisa opened yesterday in four theaters and brought in an estimated $45,000. It will continue to play in those four New York and LA theaters as it is currently hoping to play strong in the animated race at the Oscars.

This weekend's predictions are directly below. Have a safe and happy New Year and we'll see you on Sunday with the results!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (4,134 theaters) - $104.4 M
Daddy's Home (3,342 theaters) - $26.34 M
The Hateful Eight (2,474 theaters) - $24.9 M
Joy (2,924 theaters) - $12.76 M
Sisters (2,978 theaters) - $11.64 M
Alvin and the Chipmunks The Road Chip (3,474 theaters) - $9.86 M
The Big Short (1,588 theaters) - $8.95 M
Point Break (2,910 theaters) - $7.06 M
Concussion (2,841 theaters) - $6.82 M
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 (1,485 theaters) - $3.96 M

NOTE: We have still not received official theater counts for Point Break.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4139&p=.htm
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:15 am

China Box Office Grows Astonishing 48.7 Percent in 2015, Hits $6.78 Billion

Hollywood movies accounted for 38.4 percent of the Chinese box office this year, falling from a 45.5 percent market share in 2014.

The box office in China, the world's second-largest moviegoing market, grew an astonishing 48.7 percent in 2015, reaching a record $6.78 billion (44 billion yuan), the country's film regulator reported late Thursday.

The expansion marked the highest rate of growth since 2011, according to the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SARFT). Only five years ago, the total annual box office in China was just $1.51 billion.

By the end of 2017, China is expected to surpass North America — which reached a record $11 billion in box-office revenue in 2015 — as the largest movie market in the world.

Proving a continuing source of frustration for Hollywood, Chinese films claimed 61.6 percent of the year's total returns, "maintaining a clear dominance over the country's cinema market," as China's state-backed Xinhua news agency put it. Hollywood titles fell from a 45.5 percent market share in 2014 to 38.4 percent of the box-office gross this year.

China's industry regulators maintained their long-running campaign to boost the performance of local movies, while limiting Hollywood's access to the market, including extended black-out periods for foreign titles.

Three Hollywood movies — Furious 7, Avengers: Age of Ultron and Jurassic World — landed in the top 10 at the Chinese box office in 2015, compared to five last year.

Despite an economic slowdown in the country this year, the meteoric growth of China's film industry has been fueled by an expanding middle class and breakneck expansion of cinema infrastructure. A total of 8,035 screens were installed in China in 2014 — a rate of 22 screens erected every day. China's screen count currently sits at 31,627; North America's is estimated around 39,000.

With a population four times the size of the United States, China has plenty of room for growth. The country's 1.35 billion citizens went to the movies just 0.8 times this year, compared to an average of 3.22 annual theater visits by Americans and 3.87 visits per year in neighboring South Korea.

According to a 2012 memorandum of understanding that was ratified this fall, China allows only 34 foreign films into its cinemas each year on revenue-sharing terms, and Hollywood gets just 25 percent of its movies' box-office gross in China (40 to 50 percent is common in other territories around the world).

China also retains control of scheduling, which it has wielded controversially to further diminish Hollywood's market sway by premiering would-be blockbusters on weekdays instead of Fridays. Other tactics include scheduling Hollywood tentpoles head-to-head so that they cannibalize each other's box office, or blocking foreign film imports from the market altogether during popular movie-going periods during the summer and winter holidays.

Still, Chinese films improved in both quality and diversity in 2015, as local filmmakers became more adept at telling stories that resonated with lives and aspirations of the new middle class. That sentiment was echoed by SARFT in its year-end box office statement.

"Domestic films no longer merely rely on the box office," the body said. "In 2015, more films achieved both outstanding box-office performances and critical acclaim."

SARFT highlighted Monkey King: Hero is Back, a 3D animated film based on a beloved classic Chinese story, and the live-action/animation fantasy Monster Hunt, as examples of the domestic film industry's growing storytelling prowess.

The biggest movie of the year in China, Monster Hunt, was directed by Hong Kong-born, DreamWorks-trained filmmaker Raman Hui. It grossed $381.1 million, unseating Universal's Furious 7 ($379 million) as China's all-time box office champ.

But many believe Monster Hunt's title should come with an asterisk. Local regulators left the movie in the market nearly twice as long as Furious 7's 30-day run, and cinemagoers raised concerns of box office fraud with widespread reports that many of movie's "sold-out" screenings were actually nearly empty. After the issue was addressed in news reports by China's state broadcaster CCTV, producer Edko Pictures admitted it had given away $6.2 million worth of tickets for “public welfare screenings.” The company promised to punish those involved, but from the point of view of China's industry regulators at year end, the record stands.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/c ... ing-851629
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby toxicALIENS » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:37 am

Thank god for Jennifer being the lead in Joy or I think the film would be bombing sooooo hard :lol:

How is it doing in the UK? I see adverts of it on TV like alllllll the time :lol:

Shame about MJPT2 not slaying very hard :( it's kind of sad to see how fast people dropped the franchise :cry: :lol:

Can't imagine Allegiant is gonna do much at all if MJPT1 and 2 didn't do comparatively well

In terms of SW, I hope the increase of China's box office will help the film snatch avatars weave 8-) what is a normal gross for like a high grossing film in China? Or does Star Wars have a chance at becoming the highest grossing film there too? Or am I overestimating the franchises power

Also why is the article acting like TFA snatching Avatar's domestic record is a possibility rather than a certainty? :lol:

If it grosses 100 million this weekend it will be less than $40 million dollars away :lol:
toxicALIENS
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:15 pm

lol. I miss Alice, remember how TFA was going to pale in comparison to MJ2? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Admittedly though, I wish he'd come back, he was the lifeforce of the 2015 thread and surprised he bowed out for good after one person saying he was annoying.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Box Office: 'Star Wars' Rings in Record New Year's Day, Nears $700M in U.S.

Worldwide, the blockbuster hits $1.39 billion; Quentin Tarantino's 'The Hateful Eight' rides to No. 3 in its nationwide expansion, while Alejandro G. Inarritu's 'The Revenant' continues to thrive at the specialty box office.

Breaking yet another record, Star Wars: The Force Awakens scored the top New Year's Day gross of all time in North America with $34.5 million from 4,134 theaters as it approached the $700 million mark after overtaking both Jurassic World and Titanic, not accounting for inflation.

Avatar was the previous New Year's champ with $25.3 million in 2009 (that was the last time the holiday also fell on a Friday). Force Awakens, finishing Friday with a cume of $686.4 million, is only days away from passing up Avatar ($760.8 million) altogether and becoming the top-grossing film of all time domestically, again not accounting for inflation. It should achieve the milestone sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday.

For New Year's weekend, Star Wars is expected to earn a massive $90 million-plus, the best showing in history for the holiday weekend and pushing the movie's North American cume to $742 million through Sunday. On Saturday, the Disney and Lucasfilm blockbuster leapt past Jurassic World ($652.3 million) and Titanic ($658.7 million) to become the No. 2 title of all time domestically.

Worldwide, Force Awakens finished Friday with a mammoth total of $1.39 billion — including $704.2 million internationally — as it overtook the final Harry Potter film ($1.34 billion) to become the No. 7 top-grossing title of all time. On Saturday, it will eclipse Avengers: Age of Ultron ($1.41 billion) to claim the No. 6 spot.

The U.K. leads overseas with $133.5 million, one of the best showings of all time, followed by Germany ($73.9 million), France ($61.4 million), Australia ($47.1 million), Japan ($46.1 million), Spain ($24.7 million), Italy ($23.3 million) and Mexico (23.1 million). It's not seeing the same big numbers in some parts of Asia, such as South Korea ($21.8 million). However, Force Awakens is counting on being a huge player in China, where it rolls out Jan. 9.

As the crowded holiday box office winds down in North America, Daddy's Home will stay safely parked at No. 2 domestically with a projected $30.2 million weekend, putting its domestic total at nearly $95 million through Sunday. The broad comedy, starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, earned $11.5 million from 3,342 theaters on Friday for Paramount and partner iRed Granite Pictures.

Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight is coming in a strong No. 3 in its nationwide expansion, grossing $6.4 million from 2,474 locations on Friday for a projected $17.2 million weekend. From The Weinstein Co., Hateful Eight, earning a B CinemaScore, first debuted Christmas Day in an exclusive 70mm run.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's R-rated comedy, Sisters, continues to prosper thanks to keen interest from females. The Universal title grossed an estimated $4.8 million from 2,962 locations on New Year's Day. Placing No. 4, the R-rated film is expected to gross $12.5 million for the weekend and a domestic cume of $61.6 million.

Targeting younger tots, Fox's Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip rounded out the top five with $4.4 million on Friday for a projected $12 million weekend. That would put the movie's domestic total at $67.6 million through Sunday

Fox's Joy, directed by David O. Russell and starring Jennifer Lawrence, grossed $4 million Friday from 2,896 theaters. One of many awards contenders waiting to open until the year-end holidays, Joy is expected to earn $10.5 million over the weekend for a cume of nearly $39 million.

The Big Short, the financial dramedy directed by Adam McKay, earned an estimated $3.4 million New Year's Day from 1,585 locations, a modest footprint. Starring Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt, The Big Short is pacing to gross $9.5 million for the weekend for Paramount and New Regency for a domestic total north of $33 million.

Will Smith-starrer Concussion, from Sony and Village Roadshow Pictures, grossed $3.1 million from 2,841 theaters for a projected $8 million weekend and domestic total through Sunday in the $25 million range.

Point Break, Alcon Entertainment's extreme sports extravaganza and loose remake of the 1991 cult classic, continued to falter considering its $100 million budget. Distributed by Warner Bros., the movie trails the other holiday films, and is expected to gross $7.3 million for the weekend for a domestic total just south of $23 million through Sunday.

Alejandro G. Inarritu's The Revenant, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, looks to remain dominant at the specialty box office in its second weekend. The awards title is expected to gross $450,000 from four theaters in New York and Los Angeles for an outstanding location average north of $112,000.

New players include Charlie Kaufman's stop-motion Anomalisa, which debuted Wednesday in four theaters in L.A. and New York. For the weekend, the movie is targeting a location average north of $37,000.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... ngs-851635
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 pm

toxicALIENS wrote:Thank god for Jennifer being the lead in Joy or I think the film would be bombing sooooo hard :lol:

How is it doing in the UK? I see adverts of it on TV like alllllll the time :lol:

Shame about MJPT2 not slaying very hard :( it's kind of sad to see how fast people dropped the franchise :cry: :lol:

Can't imagine Allegiant is gonna do much at all if MJPT1 and 2 didn't do comparatively well

In terms of SW, I hope the increase of China's box office will help the film snatch avatars weave 8-) what is a normal gross for like a high grossing film in China? Or does Star Wars have a chance at becoming the highest grossing film there too? Or am I overestimating the franchises power

Also why is the article acting like TFA snatching Avatar's domestic record is a possibility rather than a certainty? :lol:

If it grosses 100 million this weekend it will be less than $40 million dollars away :lol:
I don't know what Joy has grossed in the UK so far. It just came out on the 1st so it should be easier to find something on Monday.

The top grossing film of all-time in China is Monster Hunt with $381.1m. It's really easy to see China eating Star Wars up, lightsabers, blasters, and spaceships seem like just their cup of tea, but $400m may be too high.
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:30 pm

NothingFails wrote:lol. I miss Alice, remember how TFA was going to pale in comparison to MJ2? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Admittedly though, I wish he'd come back, he was the lifeforce of the 2015 thread and surprised he bowed out for good after one person saying he was annoying.
Yeah, I really hope he comes back. He's always fun to talk about movies with.

Speaking about Mockingjay comparisons. It took Star Wars 4 days to out gross Mockingjay - Part 2, 8 days to out gross Catching Fire, and just 13 days to out gross both Mockingjay - Part 1 and 2. :o :lol:
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Rihab » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:48 am

toxicALIENS wrote:Thank god for Jennifer being the lead in Joy or I think the film would be bombing sooooo hard :lol:
Others can't turn a movie about the guy who came up with Macs, iPhones and iPads into a success. Queen JLaw slays playing the woman who invented the miracle mop. It's not fair. :lol:
Rihab
Legend

Postby Theodorerichert » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:06 pm

Box Office: 'Star Wars' Nabs Historic $88.3M New Year's, Hits $1.51B Worldwide

Quentin Tarantino's 'The Hateful Eight' rides to No. 3 in its nationwide expansion; overall revenue for New Year's weekend is up a staggering 44 percent from a year ago and 58 percent from 2014.

The Force remains wide-awake at the worldwide box office.

J.J. Abrams' record-shattering Star Wars: The Force Awakens grossed a record-breaking $88.3 million in North America over New Year's weekend to close out the holidays with $740.3 million domestically and $1.51 billion globally for Disney and Lucasfilm. Domestically, it's the biggest third weekend in history for any film.

Thanks to the movie's massive showing, North American box-office revenue for 2015 hit a record $11 billion at the last minute, while global revenue crossed $38 billion for the first time in history, according to Rentrak. The holiday corridor also saw record revenue levels.

Force Awakens is days away from overtaking Avatar ($760.8 million) to become the the top-grossing film of all time in North America, not accounting for inflation. It should achieve the milestone sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday after becoming the fastest title in history to hit $700 million, a feat accomplished in 16 days. It took Avatar, the previous champ, 72 days.

Internationally, Abrams' blockbuster earned $96.3 million over the weekend for a foreign total of $770.5 million. On Saturday, it leapt past Avengers: Age of Ultron ($1.41 billion) to claim the No. 6 spot on the list of all-time top-grossing films. Offshore, the movie is performing strongest in Europe and Australia. Conversely, it's not breaking records in some parts of Asia, such as South Korea, but expects to be a huge player in China when landing there Jan. 9.

The U.K. leads overseas with $145 million, where it's passed up Spectre ($138.3 million) to score the second-best showing of all time behind Skyfall ($161 million). Next up is Germany ($81.4 million), followed by France ($67.4 million), Japan ($52.9 million), Australia ($50.7 million), Spain ($27.4 million), Italy ($24.9million), Mexico ($24.5 million), South Korea ($23.1 million), Russia ($22.9 million) and Brazil ($21.2 million).

Revenue for New Year's weekend in North America clocked in at nearly $220 million, the biggest of all time and up 44 percent from a year ago and 58 percent from 2014, thanks to Force Awakens and a handful of Christmas movies finding their Yuletide stride with audiences, led by broad comedy Daddy's Home, starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg.

The big disappointment from a financial perspective is Alcon Entertainment' big-budget Point Break, an extreme sports extravaganza and loose remake of the 1991 cult classic. The movie, costing at least $100 million to make, placed No. 9 for the weekend with $6.8 million from 2,910 screens for a domestic total of $22.4 million. Warner Bros. is releasing the movie.

Daddy's Home stayed safely parked at No. 2 throughout the holidays, closing out New Year's weekend with $29 million from 3,342 locations for a domestic cume of $93.7 million for partners Paramount and Red Granite Pictures. Overseas, Daddy's Home is also making strides, grossing $9.2 million from 15 markets for an early foreign cume of $21.9 million and global total of $115.6 million.

Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight rode to No. 3 after expanding nationwide midweek, earning $16.2 million for the weekend from 2,474 locations for an early domestic total of $29.6 million. From The Weinstein Co., Hateful Eight, earning a B CinemaScore, first debuted Christmas Day in an exclusive 70mm run.

Like Daddy's Home, Universal's R-rated comedy Sisters thrived. The movie, starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, placed No. 4 with $15.6 million from 2,978 theaters for a domestic total of $61.7 million. Internationally, the comedy has earned $4.4 million from its first few markets for a total $66.1 million worldwide.

Targeting younger tots, Fox's Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip rounded out the top five with $11.8 million from 3,474 locations for a domestic total of $67.4 million. (Both Road Chip and Sisters opened opposite Force Awakens over the Dec. 18-20 weekend.)

Overseas, Road Chip has grossed $91.7 million after earning $10.3 million overseas this weekend from 16 markets. Fellow Fox family entry The Peanuts Movie continued to make a solid showing offshore, earning $16.8 million from 44 markets for a foreign total of $77.1 million and global cume of $205.9 million.

Elsewhere, a number of awards contenders used the Christmas corridor to launch, including Hateful Eight, Joy, The Big Short and Concussion.

Fox's Joy, directed by David O. Russell and starring Jennifer Lawrence, has done solid business, grossing $10.4 million from 2,924 theaters over New Year's weekend for a domestic total of $38.7 million. The dramedy placed No. 6. Joy is off to an impressive start overseas, earning $9.3 million from 28 markets for a global tally of $51.8 million. The U.K. led with a $2.4 million debut, 134 percent ahead of Silver Linings Playbook.

The Big Short, the financial dramedy directed by Adam McKay, followed with an estimated $9 million from 1,585 locations, a modest footprint, for a total of $33 million. Starring Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling and Brad Pitt, The Big Short will expand nationwide on Jan. 8, timed to the Golden Globes ceremony. Paramount, New Regency and Pitt's Plan B teamed on the movie.

Internationally, The Big Short has earned a promising $4.4 million so far from nine territories for a worldwide total of $37.4 million.

Will Smith-starrer Concussion, from Sony and Village Roadshow Pictures, came in No. 8 with an estimated $8 million from 2,841 theaters for a domestic total of $25.4 million. The NFL drama has lagged behind its competition, but hopes to have strong legs thanks to an A CinemaScore. Concussion debuted in Mexico, its first foreign market, to $1.3 million for a total $26.7 million.

There was also plenty of action at the specialty box office among awards players.

Alejandro G. Inarritu's The Revenant, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, continued to soar in its second weekend, grossing $450,000 from four theaters in New York and Los Angeles for an outstanding location average of $112,500. Fox and New Regency will expand the movie nationwide on Jan. 8.

In its third weekend, Laszlo Nemes' Son of Saul grossed $36,801 from four screens for a location average of $9,200 and cume of $162,574 for Sony Pictures Classics.

New players included Charlie Kaufman and Duke Johnson's stop-motion Anomalisa, which debuted Wednesday in four theaters in L.A. and New York. For the weekend, the Paramount release earned $140,000 for a location average of $35,000. The movie's five-day cume is $215,000.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... abs-851717
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Theodorerichert » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:23 pm

The Force Awakens is projected to drop 43.6% on Sunday. This seems a little high. Avatar posted a 32.7% Sunday drop over an identical New Years weekend. So TFA's actual weekend gross could be a few million higher.
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:22 am

Just 9 million to go and Avatar's US record is over. Judging from the inflation list.... TFA has a very good shot at passing Jedi and Empire as well in terms of tickets sold.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Theodorerichert » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:15 am

NothingFails wrote:Just 9 million to go and Avatar's US record is over. Judging from the inflation list.... TFA has a very good shot at passing Jedi and Empire as well in terms of tickets sold.
The Force Awakens is actually right on the verge of passing Episode V and Episode VI's initial runs in terms of tickets sold. It had an estimated 47% 3D share over opening weekend, which would give it an average ticket price of about $9.50 and about 78m sold to date. Empire and Jedi sold ~79m and 81m, respectively, in their initial runs. TFA needs "just" $190m more to pass E5 and E6 including rereleases. :o
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:36 am

I wonder just how high it's going to go. The holidays are over so its box office is going to start coming down to earth, $800m is pretty much a no-brainer, $900m would be nice.

I'm glad that SW re-emerged as a phenomenon and officially erased the negative stigma of the prequels, although this hipster backlash of people whining that it's "too similar to Episode IV" is annoying me. We finally get a decent SW movie after 30 years and you're complaining that it isn't uncharted territory? After three movies of Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen, shouldn't we just be happy that we had a Star Wars movie that was both fun AND didn't contain cringeworthy Razzie caliber scripts? TFA has put Star Wars back on top and people are mad that a seventh film in a nearly 40 year old franchise didn't completely reinvent moviemaking? SMH.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby TrinidadNavy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:17 pm

Yay, new thread :D

Joy seems to be doing well overseas. I'm a little disappointed by the US grosses but maybe with some Awards action, it can get a boost.

Star Wars still shocking me with these grosses. I never thought we would see figures like Avatar's again, for a while at least, and here it is, making it look so easy.
It's like I'm kissing her too...She's perfect.
Selena Gomez - REVIVAL
TrinidadNavy
Manager

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 pm

TrinidadNavy wrote:Star Wars still shocking me with these grosses. I never thought we would see figures like Avatar's again, for a while at least, and here it is, making it look so easy.
People have waited an eternity to see these characters again. The prequels were never the same as the original trilogy IMO.
NothingFails
Legend

Return to Movies